GUILTY IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime, Jan 2019 #6 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here comes the defense attempt to "humanize" Jussie.

I can't believe this guy has taken the stand. I hope he gives the prosecution plenty to work with on cross :rolleyes:
I haven't followed all this trial, but from what I have seen, it appears Jussie feels he almost HAS to testify. My concerns, if was his attorney, is that in order to defend himself he very well may need to add more lies and make it worse, and walk himself into a defamation claim from the two brothers.

Has anyone ever heard of a trial where both the defendant and the attorney claim a fake attack? I think this is a first!
RBBM
A whole new meaning for the word "double down"
Double Down
phrasal verb of double down
US
  1. 1.
    strengthen one's commitment to a particular strategy or course of action, typically one that is potentially risky.
    "he decided to double down and escalate the war"

2. 2.
    (In blackjack) double a bet after seeing one's initial cards, with the requirement that one additional card be drawn.
    "the amount only increases when you choose to split or double down"
  3. 3. ( In law ) a low skilled unethical attorney, who knows their client is guilty, engages in playing the victim card along their client , making a mockery of true victims, the justice system and has no regard or possible regrets damaging a good judge's reputation.

Jussie says that growing up, "My mom and my dad were hippies. So it was just.. hip." Dad passed away on Jan. 7, 2015.

Smollett says he jumped at the chance to audition for Jamal on "Empire." "He was the singer. I’d never seen a gay man, let a lone a gay black man, portrayed that way." Says he wrote to Lee Daniels personally. Auditioned for the show seven times before landing the part in 2014.

Smollett says he got paid $27,000 to $28,000 an episode for 10 episodes that first season. "It was, we had like 35 million viewers a week worldwide ... It's jarring," he said, adding that his dad had just died of cancer. "It was very confusing emotionally what to feel."

"It was the biggest show on television," Smollett says. Special prosecutor Dan Webb has now objected to the relevancy of all this to the case. Judge Linn says the defense has a little leeway but urges them to move on.

Smollett says he negotiated to be able to keep 50 percent of his publishing for material he wrote for the show, which had never been done before. "I felt amazing." Q: Did you have any issues with Fox? A: No.

Smollett says he met Abimbola Osundairo, whom he called "Bon," at a club during Season 4. He was in the VIP box, "which I usually hate because you feel like a monkey in a cage...feel kind of like I do now. It's not fun." Bon came up an said he'd worked on Empire also.

@jmetr22b
·
18s

Smollett says he and Osundairo "did some drugs" and went to the Steam Works bath house in Boystown. Asked what kind of drugs, he says, "Cocaine and weed. I had the weed, I always have weed on me (awkward pause). Not now, but...."

He said Osundairo had been to the bathhouse before, but he had not. They got a private room. There was gay *advertiser censored* on the screens. "We did more drugs and we like, made out. There was some touching."
4m

Asked why he did drugs, Smollett pauses and shakes his head. "Uhhhh ...I wish I could tell you. I like it. It was .. it got me away from everything else, so to speak." He's now saying he was under a lot of pressure, starting to see some of the ugliness online.

@jmetr22b

Smollett's answer about the pressure he was under went on for more than a minute before Linn cut him off. "Ask another question."

@jmetr22b
·
21m

Smollett says he and Abimbola first exchanged numbers after a guest star on "Empire" asked if he knew where to get Molly. After that, they hung out a lot more.
·
19m

Smollett says he and Abimbola would drive around in his car smoking blunts, then he'd drop him off and go home. "It's part of my relaxing process. I think that the car is probably the best place to listen to your music to be by yourself to be inspired."

Regarding Olabinjo, Bon's brother: "He kind of creeped me out," Smollett says. Was that your friend? No. ... I didn’t even know his name. It was one of those, you see somebody too many times to ask them their name. I was just like, 'Hey brother.'”

@jmetr22b

One night he and Bola left a strip club after his brother had "took the vibe out of the room." They went to the gay bathhouse, Smollett says. "We went alone, we got a private room again," Smollett says haltingly..."We made out a little bit and this time we masturbated together."

They've now moved on to Smollett's hiring of the brothers for nutrition and exercise program. Smollett says he "had put on a significant amount of weight" and wanted to get in shape. "I had to be shirtless in the music video that we were prepping for."

8m

And that's lunch. 45 minutes. Back at 2p.m for more direct testimony from Smollett

Charlie De Mar
@CharlieDeMar

·
33m

Replying to
@CharlieDeMar
Uche: Asked why Smollett was doing drugs Smollett: "I liked it. It got me away from everything else." Smollett felt like he was carrying a lot of people on his shoulders with the show. He felt a lot of pressure online.

Uche: Do you regret doing drugs: Yes, I'm sitting in court in front of a jury and my mom explaining it..Of course. Abel supplied drugs according to Smollett.

Uche: Did Abel ever mention that he worked security? Smollett: Security was mentioned a lot.
@cbschicago

Smollett says he would drive around with Abel and smoke weed.

Uche is attempting to debunk prosecutors theory of the dry run of the attack. Smollett's Mercedes was on camera picking Abel up and driving back to the scene of reported attack. Defense establishing that it was normal for the two to drive around and smoke weed.
@cbschicago

Smollett says that he felt weird around Ola Osundairo. He wouldn't talk to Smollett when they were together. "He didn't like me or he wasn't feeling me--it's fine."

Now Smollett talking about a second trip to the bathhouse with Abel. "We did drugs, made out a little bit and this time we masturbated together."

Smollett says he did not trust Ola. It has already been established that Smollett had a friendship with Abel and not Ola

Smollett says he needed to get into shape because Lee Daniel's told him that he was fat and needed to drop 30LBS before coming on set. Smollett testified that he had to be shirtless for a music video he was shooting and it was important for him to get into shape.

This testimony will likely link to the check Smollett wrote to Osundairo for $3,500. Smollett says it was for training/meal plans. Brothers say the check was for the attack and training. Court breaks for lunch. Back in 45 mins

So there^^^ is where the defense narrative takes shape. According to JS, he and Abel were beginning to hang out, get high and hook up together in gay bath houses. And drive around and smoke blunts in the Mercedes...

Then he implies that Ola is not happy about this, and begins acting creepy about it, maybe angry that his brother is acting 'gay' with JS?

So they will say that Ola forced his brother to attack JS that night?

I was VERY surprised that JS said this:

Smollett says he met Abimbola Osundairo, whom he called "Bon," at a club during Season 4. He was in the VIP box, "which I usually hate because you feel like a monkey in a cage...feel kind of like I do now. It's not fun." Bon came up an said he'd worked on Empire also.

@jmetr22b

If anyone on the prosecution team said that it would be an automatic MISTRIAL.....very strange choice of words on his part, considering all the recent drama by the defense.

I worry that the state is focusing too much on the narrow motive they are putting out there---saying that JS did it because he didnt get a big enough reaction from FOX after the letter etc....

And now the defense is pushing back on that, saying he didn't want any attention on it from the producers, etc...

My personal opinion is that Jussie had a much larger, big picture, goal and his motive was more about Social Justice and Woke politics. He was going after the conservatives and trying to create a divide politically.

He worked very closely at the time with Kamala Harris and Corey , who were trying to pass their Anti-lynching measure at the time:
Anti-lynching bill: Emotional debate erupts as Cory Booker and Kamala Harris speak out against Rand Paul amendment - CNNPolitics

I feel like his motive was more about him branching out and branding himself as a political operator, not just an entertainer. JMO

Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

·
24m
It's my turn in the courtroom for the Jussie Smollett trial. Judge Linn kicks things off by announcing that proceedings will be streamed to an overflow courtroom on the 3rd floor - so if you want to watch the trial and you can't make it to Linn's room, head there.

Smollett is still on the stand for what I'm sure will be lengthy testimony - catch up here and on
@jmetr22b
's feed

Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

·
19m
Smollett testifying he needed to get in shape for an upcoming music video shoot, which he described as a male version of "Single Ladies" - shirtless men doing a coordinated dance in unison on stage.

"Smollett talked to Abimbola Osundairo about a training plan in hopes that he'd get more of a dancer/swimmer's build, he testified. They didn't discuss payment much. "Basically I turned to him and said, you should just be my trainer."

"Smollett decided to pay Abimbola $3500 because it was the same $100/day rate he'd paid his previous trainer, plus $100 per week for a nutrition plan, he testified."
(the $3500 check in question, as I'm certain you already know if you're following this, was allegedly payment for the hoax attack, according to prosecutors.) "
"Abimbola asked for the payment upfront, Smollett said. And Ola, his brother, was not going to be involved in the training. "Ola had nothing to do with my life." "
"Smollett smiles and acknowledges that the handwriting on the check is hard to read. "I write like a doctor," he said. "

Defense attorney Uche: Did you pay him $100 in cash to buy supplies for a so-called hoax? Smollett: Absolutely not. Uche: Were you so smart to give somebody cash for supplies, and pay them in a check for a hoax? Prosecutors: Objection!

It was crucial for Smollett's face to be unblemished for the "Empire" shoot, he testifies. "It was very important that I look like Black Cary Grant, not beat down."

"When Smollett complained to Abimbola that he tends to gain weight in his face and stomach, Abimbola told him about an herbal steroid he could get him in Nigeria. "He said let me know if you need it on the low," Smollett said."

"Prosecutors have framed a text from Smollett to Abimbola for help "on the low" as a request to help stage the attack. Smollett on the stand is saying it was in fact a request for those herbal steroids, which are illegal in the U.S. "

Charlie De Mar

Smollett says he hired Abel Osunidaro to get in shape and Abel mentioned that he could get an illegal herbal supplement that is available in Nigeria but not U.S. Abel testified that there is no such herbal supplement.

Smollett testifying that the $3,500 check was for training/nutrition.

Smollett testifies that it is not unusual to pay a trainer thousands of dollars at once. He was shown an invoice for $5,000 for a previous trainer he paid.

Now, Smollett testifying about the threatening letter sent to the studio.

the "meet on the low" text Smollett sent to Abel was for that illegal weight loss supplement--not to plan a hoax attack, he testified

Megan Crepeau
@crepeau

·
4m
During the ride that the Osundairos said Smollett proposed the fake attack, Smollett says all that happened was they smoked blunts and drove around. "at any point in time … did you talk to him about some hoax?" NO, Smollett said loudly.

"Ola Osundairo didn't really speak during the couple of times they all drove around together, Smollett said. "He would always say hello, he didn’t not say hello, but he would say hello then just do this weird thing where he would not speak," Smollett says. "

"The prosecution has pointed to the copious video footage of the brothers and Smollett driving around and said -- yes, that's when they discussed this scheme, here's where they did the "dry run." Smollett is saying, no, he was just giving his friend rides. "

"Q: So while you were smoking a blunt and texting ... were you planning a hoax in between this?
Smollett: "No. there was no hoax."

"Smollett is now explaining the difference between Instagram Stories and an Instagram post, presumably for the benefit of the Boomers in the room "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89