GUILTY IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime, Jan 2019 #6 *GUILTY*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just saw that he's looking forward to his appeal. This guy and his hubris. He needs to give it up and come clean. JMO
Are his loyal friends and family going to get tired of joining him in his charade? It has to be exhausting for them.

Especially for his lovely, sweet mother. It REALLY makes me angry that she has to be tangled up in this embarrassing mess. He marches her around like a protective vest of some kind. Makes me so sad for her because she is known to be a wonderful, kind hearted woman and she should be enjoying theses golden years, planning Christmas for her grand babies and family.

But now she has to think. about appeals and further press interviews and it is unfair he is putting her through this so publicly. :mad:

What I really like about this, one of the few prosecution of a "hate crime hoax". Maybe now, off with the kid gloves. A hate crime hoax is wrong on every level.

Time to make "hate crime hoaxes" federal crimes, with mandatory sentences.

Yup. No doubt he will deny and I totally agree there's small segment that always support him. These are more things about him that remind me of Jodi Arias. I have brought this up before, but I am dumbfounded by how much his presonality reminds me of hers. It goes without saying that Jodi's crime was a billion times worse, but they both are so obstinate, delusional, malicious, arrogant, disturbed, self-absorbed prima donaa wannabe's.

Found your post interesting, God knows they are twin narcissist's and self centered beyond description but Jodi's crime a billion times worse?? I Feel Jussie's is worse. I know hers resulted in a death but his bordered on flaming a potential race war in our country, for months afterwards it was like a grenade pin pulled....IMO.

Question for attorneys or anyone else in the know....

Will the fact that Jussie "compounded his wrong-doing" (Dan Webb) by lying to a jury have an effect on his sentencing at all? Possibly the judge will go harder on him than if he'd just kept his lying trap shut?

I don't know. I guess JS will just keep doubling down on his "victim" mantra. Probably have a lot of supporters.

Found your post interesting, God knows they are twin narcissist's and self centered beyond description but Jodi's crime a billion times worse?? I Feel Jussie's is worse. I know hers resulted in a death but his bordered on flaming a potential race war in our country, for months afterwards it was like a grenade pin pulled....IMO.

I totally get what you're saying. I hesitated when I typed that part about hers being that much worse, because I do think Jussie's actions could have the potential you mention, but as I typed I thought about Travis, and how he suffered, and my heart broke.

His small band then launched into an upbeat song and he broke into dance, wearing a simple white buttoned shirt, white sneakers and black jeans, shuffling across the front of the stage and at times standing defiantly with a fist in the air.

Smollett kept the tone mostly celebratory through his hour-long set before addressing the attack head-on toward the end of his hour-long set, when he told the crowd he wanted to clarify a few things.

He said he was bruised but his ribs were not cracked. He went straight to the doctor but was not hospitalized, and physicians in both Chicago and Los Angeles cleared him to play but told him to be careful.

“And above all, I fought the (expletive) back,” he said to cheers.

Then he paused and said, emphatically but with a laugh, “I’m the gay Tupac.”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are his loyal friends and family going to get tired of joining him in his charade? It has to be exhausting for them.

Especially for his lovely, sweet mother. It REALLY makes me angry that she has to be tangled up in this embarrassing mess. He marches her around like a protective vest of some kind. Makes me so sad for her because she is known to be a wonderful, kind hearted woman and she should be enjoying theses golden years, planning Christmas for her grand babies and family.

But now she has to think. about appeals and further press interviews and it is unfair he is putting her through this so publicly. :mad:

BBM I agree. I wonder if she is aware of what he's doing to her? As I said earlier she's his "prop" along with his race and sexual preference. He's a user. JMO

IL. Disorderly Conduct Sentence?
Seeing stories about possible sentencing, I headed to IL. statutes, and if I'm reading correctly ---
For each of five Class 4 Felony* counts, 1 - 3 yrs,
so possibly, cumulatively 5 - 15 yrs, if served consecutively.
In addition, court shall order community service, 30 - 120 hrs,
so possibly, cumulatively 150 - 600 hrs.
If placed "on supervision" the supervision is conditioned on performance of comm. serv. But if incarceration is imposed, the comm. serv requirement does not apply.

As I said ^ Iirc.
Also does another IL. statute specify a $25,000 fine** that cnn.com article mentioned (that my quick search missed)?
Anyone??? TiA.

Not saying, JS or any person convicted on those five counts is likely to receive or serve max time. my2ct.

(a)(4), ... is a Class 4 felony....

"(c) In addition to any other sentence that may be imposed, a court shall order any person convicted of disorderly conduct to perform community service for not less than 30 and not more than 120 hours, if community service is available.... In addition, whenever any person is placed on supervision for an alleged offense under this Section, the supervision shall be conditioned upon the performance of the community service.

"This subsection does not apply when the court imposes a sentence of incarceration...." bbm
^ Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes
^ Illinois Statutes Chapter 720. Criminal Offenses § 5/26-1 | FindLaw

** "A disorderly conduct charge for a false crime report is a Class 4 felony and punishable by up to three years in prison and a $25,000 fine." bbm
^ Jussie Smollett found guilty of falsely reporting a hate crime Dec. 9, 2021

His small band then launched into an upbeat song and he broke into dance, wearing a simple white buttoned shirt, white sneakers and black jeans, shuffling across the front of the stage and at times standing defiantly with a fist in the air.

Smollett kept the tone mostly celebratory through his hour-long set before addressing the attack head-on toward the end of his hour-long set, when he told the crowd he wanted to clarify a few things.

He said he was bruised but his ribs were not cracked. He went straight to the doctor but was not hospitalized, and physicians in both Chicago and Los Angeles cleared him to play but told him to be careful.

“And above all, I fought the (expletive) back,” he said to cheers.

Then he paused and said, emphatically but with a laugh, “I’m the gay Tupac.”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I watched some video clips of Smollett's performance at the Troubadour, which took place days after the "attack." The "Gay Tupac" was riding high on his 15 minutes of fame. He had the crowd eating out of his hand. Needless to say, this didn't age well at all.

And dang, Smollett was jumping & prancing around on stage like there was no tomorrow. I guess those "bruised ribs" healed quickly.

I watched some video clips of Smollett's performance at the Troubadour, which took place days after the "attack." The "Gay Tupac" was riding high on his 15 minutes of fame. He had the crowd eating out of his hand. Needless to say, this didn't age well at all.

And dang, Smollett was jumping & prancing around on stage like there was no tomorrow. I guess those "bruised ribs" healed quickly.
He knew when he planned his 'attack' that he had the Troubador gig coming up right afterwards. That was all part of his publicity tour.

You see him up on that stage with his band behind him, he's strutting and singing, then pumping his fist in the air, claiming 'he fought the F back' ---labeling himself the Gay Tupac...:rolleyes:....

And then I have to laugh when I think of his defense team saying he didn't like publicity or to be the centre of attention. Yah, sure thing...

Defense attorney Nenye Uche said he will appeal the guilty verdict.

Unfortunately we were facing an uphill battle where Jussie was already tried and convicted in the media and then we had to somehow get the jury to forget or unsee all the news stories that they had been hearing that were negative for the last three years,” Uche told reporters in front of the courthouse.

We feel 100% confident that this case will be won on appeal,” he added claiming the jury’s split verdict was “inconsistent.”

https://twitter.com/samjcharles/sta...rdict-claims-empire-actor-100-innocent-video/

If court orders community service, how might JS fulfill requirement?
Sign autographs for Empire fans?
Pose for photos w. ^?

IIrc, he's already done those, so for a change of pace, appear at all Re-elect Kim Foxx as Cook County State's Attorney fundraisers?
(For those new to thread,
Kim Foxx - Wikipedia)

Other ideas? TiA.

"(730 ILCS 5/5-1-18.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 1005-1-18.1)
Sec. 5-1-18.1. "Public or community service" means uncompensated labor for a non-profit organization or public body whose purpose is to enhance physical or mental stability, environmental quality or the social welfare and which agrees to accept public or community service from offenders and to report on the progress of the public or community service to the court. "Public or community service" does not include blood donation...
(Source: P.A. 98-824, eff. 1-1-15.)" bbm
^ 2017 Illinois Compiled Statutes :: Chapter 730 - CORRECTIONS :: 730 ILCS 5/ - Unified Code of Corrections. :: Chapter V - Sentencing

If court orders community service, how might JS fulfill requirement?
Sign autographs for Empire fans?
Pose for photos w. ^?

IIrc, he's already done those, so for a change of pace, appear at all Re-elect Kim Foxx as Cook County State's Attorney fundraisers?
(For those new to thread,
Kim Foxx - Wikipedia)

Other ideas? TiA.

"(730 ILCS 5/5-1-18.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 1005-1-18.1)
Sec. 5-1-18.1. "Public or community service" means uncompensated labor for a non-profit organization or public body whose purpose is to enhance physical or mental stability, environmental quality or the social welfare and which agrees to accept public or community service from offenders and to report on the progress of the public or community service to the court. "Public or community service" does not include blood donation...
(Source: P.A. 98-824, eff. 1-1-15.)" bbm
^ 2017 Illinois Compiled Statutes :: Chapter 730 - CORRECTIONS :: 730 ILCS 5/ - Unified Code of Corrections. :: Chapter V - Sentencing

He should be forced to interview victims of actual hate crimes, and their loved ones--since hate crimes do result in deaths--about their experiences, write a book about it, then immediately burn the manuscript so he can't profit from it any way.

He knew when he planned his 'attack' that he had the Troubador gig coming up right afterwards. That was all part of his publicity tour.

You see him up on that stage with his band behind him, he's strutting and singing, then pumping his fist in the air, claiming 'he fought the F back' ---labeling himself the Gay Tupac...:rolleyes:....

And then I have to laugh when I think of his defense team saying he didn't like publicity or to be the centre of attention. Yah, sure thing...

Yeah, so much for the pensive, reclusive artist bit. Smollett was up there digging the attention for sure. It's like this guy's whole life is a put-on.

@MsJosie bbm Good question.
Anyone recall whether he surrendered passport?
I don't recall. But I don't think he is going to run. He is firmly entrenched in his family unit right now. I think he is very dependent upon them emotionally and probably financially.

AND WHAT ABOUT HIS APPEAL? :rolleyes:

Also, if he ever hopes to go back to any kind of entertainment career, he can't leave NY/LA/Chicago and run to another country.

His lawyers are probably assuring him he is not going to do any jail time. He doesn't have any prior convictions and they are pretty low level charges, based around one incident.

I am almost positive he gets a suspended sentence and probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member