Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was away for the day and just heard the news.

Looks like similar chargescfor both except dad is getting the additional counts for the concealment and mom has more battery charges? Is that correct? So they both had a hand in it but she did the most physical harm and dad did the digging/hiding of the body???

These cases are always hard but harder when other people tried to help at different points.

Rest well, little Andrew

I have the same question as Greyhound - Why are they both charged with 5 counts of first degree murder when only one person was killed? I’m also assuming since it is 1st degree murder they believe they can show the parents had premeditated this crime?

Sorry for the questions. I’m just ignorant on this aspect of the law.

I suspect the additional murder counts relate to "murder with aggravating circumstances".
Here is a list of the Illinois indictment codes under "Murder". They relate to the Counts. I'm thinking at least one additional murder count would be under child abuse.

Illinois Statutes Chapter 720. Criminal Offenses § 5/9-1 | FindLaw

I shutter to think there are five Counts.

I am not an attorney, so JMO.

If there is an attorney or LEO on this thread, please fact check me!

Last edited:
I hope, if they are both opioid addicts, they both have a long and painful withdrawal in jail. The more painful, the better IMHO.

ETA: omg, I keep forgetting that she’s 7 months pregnant. That poor baby. And poor little brother. I hope there is some sober loving family who will take him. I’d hate to think of him going to strangers in foster care and having to bear that vicious cycle (no offense to good foster parents out there).

Yes, the poor baby, left to be raised by someone else. She will never have custody of another child.

Yes, pray for this unborn baby and her living children.

Last edited:
I have the same question as Greyhound - Why are they both charged with 5 counts of first degree murder when only one person was killed? I’m also assuming since it is 1st degree murder they believe they can show the parents had premeditated this crime?

Sorry for the questions. I’m just ignorant on this aspect of the law.
Multiple counts of first degree murder can be charged based on alternative theories of murder that are possible at the time of discovery There is felony murder, while someone dies (whether unintentional or not) during defendant's commission of a felony crime, intentional murder, murder through actions that one knows will highly result in death, and a few other variations on those themes. The facts as the cause of death and other supportive information come to light dictate which murder counts to charge and how many. The number of counts is not limited to the number of victims. (My Ph.D. major was criminal justice). I just got off work and saw the update. I am heartbroken but not at all surprised.

She's pregnant so I would like to think they will give her stuff to help with withdrawal symptoms. It would be cruel and unethical to the unborn baby if they didn't.

I'm sure she will wind up at the hospital at some point and if the physician orders medication they will give to her thru the jail medic. However, some jails do not allow any opioid even for pain and most will not pay for medication on a long term basis.

I've always had to obtain meds, thru an approved pharmacy and pay for them for my clients. After the first of the month Medicaid usually stops, no benefit while in jail. Now state and federal provisions do provide medical care.

They may detox her in the hospital and go from there, anyway you go its not a pretty picture.

She looks pretty rough. I hope they go thru agony withdrawing in jail. It’s not fun. Just had a nephew go thru heroin withdrawal in jail. He said it was hell and no one gave a damn.
She looks like the face of meth. Why weren’t the kids pleased in the care of the state when the police report indicates exposed pipes, broken windows, cold temps, huge bruise on child’s hip, and an overwhelming smell of feces. Poor A.J. and his brother.

I’ll try to find you an actual source to explain it (all I can find is forum responses) but basically the charging document is what the prosecution believes has been committed. It can include multiple theories. So right now they can charge them with premeditated murder (1 count) based on a theory that they planned this. They can also charge them with first degree murder if the theory is that they beat him badly knowing it may cause his death (1 count) etc. without an autopsy they may not know which is the actual theory so they are covering bases. THESE ARE NOT THE ACTUAL COUNTS as I do not know what they are. This is just an example.

Illinois First Degree Murder Laws - FindLaw
Good points.
Also realized that these charges were filed before his body had been recovered, so they had to cover all possibilities until the autopsy is completed.

I'm sure she will wind up at the hospital at some point and if the physician orders medication they will give to her thru the jail medic. However, some jails do not allow any opioid even for pain and most will not pay for medication on a long term basis.

I've always had to obtain meds, thru an approved pharmacy and pay for them for my clients. After the first of the month Medicaid usually stops, no benefit while in jail. Now state and federal provisions do provide medical care.

They may detox her in the hospital and go from there, anyway you go its not a pretty picture.
Does this help the baby by detoxing monster Mom? If not and she has bad withdrawals could it kill the baby?

when i worked in jail, they would give methadone to pregnant inmates. we had female inmates try to lie and say they were pregnant when they weren't to get it. if not pregnant they get advil and immodium.

YES YES YES............WHY NOT ???????????????
As Simply southern said there hands are tied by state laws most are parents like you and I but laws are written and have to follow. It seems like the judge could do more. I’m sure that police report was handed over to DCFS.

Write your governors, legislators, mayors, Congress, lawmakers we need changes in the laws NOW

Good points.
Also realized that these charges were filed before his body had been recovered, so they had to cover all possibilities until the autopsy is completed.

Also just to point out that these are preliminary charges, after the grand jury convenes there could be more/different charges, so it's all conjecture really until there are more details about the actual charges. (And I am an attorney, don't hate me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay