Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local news did a week long series on grands raising grands due to incarcerated or dead parents. It is becoming very prevalent.

I recently met an older couple at a birthday party for my friends’ father. As I was talking with them they told me they’re currently raising their 5 year old GREAT grandson. His grandma (their daughter), was raising him but she now has drug issues and incapable of caring for him any longer. The child’s mother (who is also a long time drug user), was incarcerated for awhile for dealing drugs and then gave up/lost custody of her son.

This couple were delightful and very positive, doing their best to raise this little boy. The great grandmother is 79 and great grandfather just turned 80. So sad.

Last edited:
Since the abuse was apparently directed towards AJ, I wonder if exhaustion, cravings, erratic sleep patterns in the woman led to her placing AJ in charge of his brother. Of course we all know two unsupervised kids can find a lot of things to do, creating large messes. Maybe if she napped or locked herself in her bedroom leaving AJ to be the adult, he faced punishment for not watching his brother properly? Kind of a “you’re the big brother & you know better” thing?
As I mentioned last night, the absence of bruises on the brother means nothing to me. I don’t think he led an abuse free life in a normal home.
Jmo

And it has been 25 years since I last worked in a prison.

Our county jail has a NP on call 24/7, rotating doctors & an ambulance on stand by. Any inmate requiring hospitalization has a deputy seated outside his hospital room 24/7 for the duration of his stay. The inmate-patient is not allowed visitors or phone privileges unless the situation is dire.

This link is a must read!

Why Parents Target a Specific Child for Abuse

An abusive parent tends to have:
  • low self-esteem
  • poor impulse control
  • low frustration tolerance
  • inappropriate expression of anger
  • impaired parenting skills
  • inadequate coping skills
  • tendency for role reversal (i.e. child takes care of parent)
  • tendency to shift responsibility onto others
  • depression and other mental health problems
  • inadequate knowledge of child developmental stages
  • preconception that child's behaviour is stressful
  • anti-social behaviours (but not always)
  • self-expressed anger
  • feelings of inadequacy
  • feelings of incompetence
  • unrealistic expectations
There are a multitude of reasons a parent might target a specific child for abuse:
  • the parent abuses alcohol, drugs or other substances
  • post-partum depression
  • a history of child abuse in their own childhood
  • a history in their own childhood of inappropriate teachings of discipline for specific wrongdoings
  • social isolation
  • poor coping skills
  • a hatred of one gender over another
  • belief that a boy should be raised differently, in some cases, with more brutality and physically inappropriate discipline than a girl
  • the child is viewed as "difficult" or "won't listen" or "different"
    • hyperactive or inactive
    • fussy
    • difficult to feed
    • abnormal sleep patterns
    • excessive crying
    • difficult temperament
    • unresponsive to parents' efforts
    • child is seen as "unattractive" and/or "flawed" in a physical way, such as with disability or disfigurement
    • too passive
    • too strong-willed
    • failure to attach (bond) with the child
    • adopted
    • adolescents

Was this her in the black dress?

I have to assume so.

When that was posted, either AJ was already dead or was soon to be tortured and murdered by his mother and father.

The house aready reeked of urine and feces. The house had no heat. There already was little food in the house. Are these photos a tiny ray of regret looking at how pretty and normal she was?

I have to assume so.

When that was posted, either AJ was already dead or was soon to be tortured and murdered by his mother and father.

The house aready reeked of urine and feces. The house had no heat. There already was little food in the house. Are these photos a tiny ray of regret looking at how pretty and normal she was?

sd

Was this her in the black dress?

I have to assume so.

And the cross photo and the mother verse = was that for the benefit of DFSC
Yes and it says getting whipped. She has a big bruise on her upper arm.

What would Getting Whipped mean? It looks like a birthday party or some other girl's party. My first thought was Dole Whips, which are yummy Hawaiian pineapple drinks because they are wearing multicolored Hawaiian-type leis

I thought pic was an old one, but recently posted. No?

I agree, I took this as being an older photo of her..possibly popped up as memory on FB with the other lady?
I thought it looked like it was taken at a bachelorette party since JoAnn was wearing a tiara? It also looks like she’s wearing an engagement ring.

JMO

I think most of us believe the female inflicted the abuse most often. Where was the male when all this was going on? Any guesses?
Idk if she was the primary abuser or not, only speculating.

@osu @Herat explained photo above.
I’m out of it, little sleep after discussing this close to bedtime.

I have no medical training but I wonder if AJ’s brain partially detached from his skull? Years ago a friend was seriously injured when a horse clipped his head with both front feet. He never recovered, living only a few days. I recall his wife mentioning his head was out of shape.
He never regained consciousness, so his injury was more severe than AJ’s.
Iirc, the coroner concluded AJ’s head trauma to be “repeated blows”.
The ME & his staff must have been livid.

I have no medical training but I wonder if AJ’s brain partially detached from his skull? Years ago a friend was seriously injured when a horse clipped his head with both front feet. He never recovered, living only a few days. I recall his wife mentioning his head was out of shape.

What you are describing is a subdural hematoma. An accumulation of blood under the skull (most often because of trauma) that fills the space between the lining membranes and the brain. If if persists, it can result in fatal brainstem compression (acute subdural). They can also stop bleeding and become a chronic organized blood clot (chronic subdural hematoma).

The mortality of an acute subdural hematoma is 30-60%. That's what Natasha Richardson died of after her skiing accident in 2009. Like her case, the injury may not be immediately obvious. She started to complain of a headache about an hour after the accident and began to deteriorate on the way to the hospital.

The ME and staff know their job is to be absolutely objective and meticulous in their examination and evaluation.

They certainly will be affected, at some point, but their business is a very serious one and they know how to handle it professionally. They know the very best way to handle the "anger" or "outrage" is to do an exceptionally professional and accurate job of documenting and interpreting the findings in a way such that there can be no legal controversy about their findings.

A defense attorney with a client who has confessed to a horrific crime like this knows the first avenue is to challenge the findings of the ME and investigators. Sometimes those challenges to professionals are brutal, personal, and very outrageous considering the overwhelming evidence being presented. But that is our system and ME and LE are professionals.

And perhaps most tragically, this won't the first case like this that these professionals have dealt with..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB