Found Deceased IL - Andrew Freund, 5, Crystal Lake, 17 April 2019 *Arrests* - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

We will be opening a new thread shortly but I would ask that you do not bring up anything to do with Adderall. Unless you have a picture of the pill bottle with AJ's name on it or the police reported that AJ took Adderall let's not go there please OK?

Thank you,
Tricia

DCFS to care for AJ Freund's younger brother; prosecutors attempt to revoke couple's parental rights
1:01pm

The Crystal Lake parents accused of killing 5-year-old AJ Freund have agreed to have the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services care for their younger son, while prosecutors attempt to revoke the former couple's parental rights.

JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr. sat two chairs apart Monday in a McHenry County juvenile courtroom. Both parents were charged Thursday with first-degree murderin connection with the death of their son, AJ, whom they reported missing days after allegedly forcing him into a cold shower and beating him to death, police have said.

Following AJ's disappearance, DCFS removed the boy's younger brother from the home while the agency investigates abuse and neglect allegations. Details about the 4-year-old boy's living arrangements were not disclosed in open court.

Representatives with the McHenry County State's Attorney's Office also filed a petition seeking to terminate Freund and Cunningham's parental rights. The allegations in the petition are not available to public because they pertain to a juvenile matter and were not discussed in open court.

Cunningham previously hired private attorneys at KRV Legal to represent her, but the law firm, has since withdrawn from Cunningham's cases.

Instead, public defenders will represent the parents individually throughout the juvenile proceedings. A volunteer from a third-party group, Court Appointed Special Advocates, will meet with the younger boy twice each month and eventually submit an objective report about the child's well being.

~snip

More at link:
DCFS to care for AJ Freund's younger brother; prosecutors attempt to revoke couple's parental rights | Northwest Herald

ITA The problem is that somewhere along the line, the idea of reunification became paramount. They believe in keeping the family together, even if it’s at the expense of the child. Illinois should rename their agency Department of We Don’t Give a Sh$t About the Children!

I hope the state of Illinois is watching this. And changing things as a result. I kinda doubt it unfortunately.

I hope the state of Illinois is watching this. And changing things as a result. I kinda doubt it unfortunately.

Reading the 100 death case report put out by AG and DCPS, I don't expect change. The first three case,studies make me physically ill.

In one, CPS went on unannounced visit, the infant wasn't home. Shortly, thereafter, was a fire in a warehouse, and the dead infant. They had stuffed the kid in the couch and sat on her, while CPS was there.

Sick.,,this is just sick!!!

Reading the 100 death case report put out by AG and DCPS, I don't expect change. The first three case,studies make me physically ill.

In one, CPS went on unannounced visit, the infant wasn't home. Shortly, thereafter, was a fire in a warehouse, and the dead infant. They had stuffed the kid in the couch and sat on her, while CPS was there.

I didn't get past the third case either.

Idk what the answer is, short of no second chances. And really, should a child be at risk so a parent can get a ‘do-over’? Probably before the end of the week we will be on a new case, similar to this. Why? As most have a history with DCFS & LE.
Moo

When I read the report, I had to read this particular incident 3X before I realized I was reading correctly.
WTH?
Somehow parents on their 3, 4 or 17th, chance must be monitored for drugs, on a regular basis. So what if they are pissed or inconvenienced?
Maybe a trustee needs to manage their money so there is no drug money.
Idk......
Just look around the next time you got to your big box store, sit in the parking lot a few minutes, observe parents & children. What you see will probably disgust you.

How anyone in a position of oversight can read that report and not realize something is seriously screwed up is beyond my comprehension.

Most lawmakers don't read these reports. Sometimes aides do but not often. Compare them to the CPS regulation and Illinois law. They followed the State mandates to keep the kids with the parents.

I lobbied and hosted many events for Congressmen/women and State Legislators, during the Affordable Care Act for my employer.
I found few Congressional and State Representatives that read all 4,500 pages. Actually NC Congresswoman Virginia Fox was the only one, out of 100's. They had their key points down and could reference them but if I referenced other parts they had not a clue.

Lawmakers are great at smiling, shaking hands and knowing the key issues for their state.

Child Abuse is not an issue that is hot on the radar for our states. Its not talked about openly by our lawmakers. I've not heard of no major changes on child abuse in years.

I was glad to read neighbors and Crystal Lake residents appeared in court today, in support of little AJ.
Those that knew or suspected things were wrong, but could do nothing must be devastated.

When they petitioned last week for P to be returned home, did they truly think they had a leg to stand on?
I think many of us realized P was not exempt from abuse, this is the first I’ve seen it in writing. Sad that it took what it did for them to reach such an obvious conclusion.

Mother Of Missing Crystal Lake Boy In Court To Regain Custody Of Younger Child
The state said that younger son is the victim of neglect and abuse.

The Department Of Children and Family Services has not said exactly where the younger son is, just that they placed him in protective custody after Andrew disappeared.

DCPS did not give him back the Judge did. Just like the Illinois judge, let Jussie off and sealed the documents.

My humble opinion, I think this is just the way things work in Illinois.

I'm anxiously awaiting Ms. Foxx to weight in on this case. She is the SAG, guess she's to busy to talk about this sweet child. Oh, I forgot she's in order today, defending her actions.
BBM. A judge follows the recommendations of DCFS not the other way around and if DCFS determined the parents met all the requirements for regaining custody that is what happens. It isn't unique to Illinois.

Foxx is the State's Attorney (prosecutor) for Cook County. She has nothing to do with this case.

JMO

BBM. A judge follows the recommendations of DCFS not the other way around and if DCFS determined the parents met all the requirements for regaining custody that is what happens. It isn't unique to Illinois.

Foxx is the State's Attorney (prosecutor) for Cook County. She has nothing to do with this case.

JMO

Please, forgive me I thought she was the State Attorney General.

Ugh..my heart breaks. This is the first time I saw this photo. I think it is of the investigators putting his body in the van. I tried to just add the photo but said it was too big.

Google Image Result for https://content-prod-ripr.thepublicsradio.org/articles/1304ac43ca2e4fd68fb258c89529b62e/e2d22849e17c4bd5ab72e0e43f1ab62e.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I was telling my husband about this picture and he said, “Why did they take that photo? Why do you want to see that?” And I said, “It’s just nice to see someone treating him with respect.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Askmetomorrow2