Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it really alarming that it's not on the news. Being local you know what a sleepy little town Woodstock is, never been to Centralia, but i've been downstate, nothing but corn and one stop light towns.

I just can't believe no one is talking about this on the news. Not any station i've seen and tonight I switched around. This poor woman could be any one of us, and apparently, that's not news. Her poor 10 year old son cry's for his mother but no one is looking? I don't get it. I hope they start organizing searches. I'll go search, i'd even drive down to do it. Every life is worth that. Whether it be a child or a full grown woman.

Edited to add: I learned about it on the astrology thread. Not in my newspaper or on tv. How must her family feel having her just gone and not having it on the news. I'd want it written in frigging sky writing, world wide.

BBM

There is a lot of Illinois that is not Chicago, in fact most of the State, and as a longtime resident of Downstate (although a Chicago native), I can assure you there is a lot more than "corn and one stop light towns."

But, I agree, the whole case is odd and it is troubling it gets so little media attention. You have to wonder what the police, Mt. Vernon, Centralia, Woodstock and the ISP, are doing.

BBM

There is a lot of Illinois that is not Chicago, in fact most of the State, and as a longtime resident of Downstate (although a Chicago native), I can assure you there is a lot more than "corn and one stop light towns."

But, I agree, the whole case is odd and it is troubling it gets so little media attention. You have to wonder what the police, Mt. Vernon, Centralia, Woodstock and the ISP, are doing.
Bothers me, too. The point of not being on the news is a concern I share. But I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the towns. The reasons don't seem to have much to do with the number of stoplights, IMO.

There is a line that LE must walk, in informing the public. Too little news and the case goes cold with a lack of new tips to process. Too much and it's harder to get a conviction. In this one, it seems those who would normally gather around and demand to hear the news updates so the case doesn't go cold, are not doing so. JMO

Like it or not, most times, it is the families of missing people who have to be the engine that keeps the case out in the public eye. The media is not interested in every single case, if they were, the papers would be full of nothing but missing people. So they pick and choose which cases to cover and someone (family or LE) has to convince them that it is newsworthy.

I think this story is newsworthy because of the circumstances of her disappearance and the odd stories of when/how she was last seen. That should be enough to generate and hold interest, but without new info coming in, it isn't. Newspapers do not like to print stories with no new information. And when there is any kind of rumor associated with the missing person, true or not, it lessens media interest, as it is easier to "write off" as a "runaway" or a drug-related crime.

Really, the family needs to organize and step forward and demand attention. It is sad but that is the way it is. Almost all info on what to do if a family member goes missing will tell you that you have to take charge if no one else is doing it.

Like it or not, most times, it is the families of missing people who have to be the engine that keeps the case out in the public eye. The media is not interested in every single case, if they were, the papers would be full of nothing but missing people. So they pick and choose which cases to cover and someone (family or LE) has to convince them that it is newsworthy.

I think this story is newsworthy because of the circumstances of her disappearance and the odd stories of when/how she was last seen. That should be enough to generate and hold interest, but without new info coming in, it isn't. Newspapers do not like to print stories with no new information. And when there is any kind of rumor associated with the missing person, true or not, it lessens media interest, as it is easier to "write off" as a "runaway" or a drug-related crime.

Really, the family needs to organize and step forward and demand attention. It is sad but that is the way it is. Almost all info on what to do if a family member goes missing will tell you that you have to take charge if no one else is doing it.

The family's self proclaimed spokesperson AGM announced on facebook about 3 hours ago that B and friends had gone boating during that weekend.

RubyRed, that struck me as ominous too, but as has been the case throughout, more unanswered questions. Via FB comments, she was confirmed as having been at IGA, but they can't confirm the day. Buying provisions for a day of boating, perhaps? Presuming that the authorities have talked with the boat rental agent, when was the rental and it must have been paid for with a credit card; they just don't let boats out without one. How many were present when the boat was rented v. when it was returned? When was it returned, when (they would have cashed out the credit card then) and by whom? I presume that if there were any discrepancies, there would now be a massive search of Rend Lake, but the lack of any search activity anywhere is just plain astounding. As is the lack of information being released publicly. It's frustrating, and is hindering the virtual army of people willing to get involved, conduct a search if need be, etc.

RubyRed, that struck me as ominous too, but as has been the case throughout, more unanswered questions. Via FB comments, she was confirmed as having been at IGA, but they can't confirm the day. Buying provisions for a day of boating, perhaps? Presuming that the authorities have talked with the boat rental agent, when was the rental and it must have been paid for with a credit card; they just don't let boats out without one. How many were present when the boat was rented v. when it was returned? When was it returned, when (they would have cashed out the credit card then) and by whom? I presume that if there were any discrepancies, there would now be a massive search of Rend Lake, but the lack of any search activity anywhere is just plain astounding. As is the lack of information being released publicly. It's frustrating, and is hindering the virtual army of people willing to get involved, conduct a search if need be, etc.

Was it video that was used to confirm the sighting or has someone just come forward? If it is video there should be a date and time stamp on it.

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but I'm still not sure there is a link in the media about the Frosty Mug. Do you have a link? If not, then it would be a rumor, right?

Tarabull posted link Wed. 10:46 PM.
Plus as I mentioned in earlier posts, I read about the 4th person early on, as it was reported. I do not remember exact media outlets, as it was weeks ago but their waitress reported serving four.

This is the correct link:

http://woodstockadvocate.blogspot.co...h-bentley.html

Has media or LE confirmed they went boating? or is this non confirmed. I don't want to see FB info suddenly become "fact" when the info has not been confirmed by an official source such as LE or the media as that has been a problem throughout WS.

Also, do we know they rented a boat or did someone Beth was visiting with own their own boat?

TIA

I have to tell you, I am very familiar with this whole search area. My hubby and I were just discussing how there are numerous abandoned farms with wells out there. A person will often buy a farmhouse for the land and let the house(with well water) sit. A person unfamiliar with the area can get lost just minutes from the Centralia or Mount Vernon city limits and never be seen again. I hope Beth is okay.

Bothers me, too. The point of not being on the news is a concern I share. But I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the towns. The reasons don't seem to have much to do with the number of stoplights, IMO.
There is a line that LE must walk, in informing the public. Too little news and the case goes cold with a lack of new tips to process. Too much and it's harder to get a conviction. In this one, it seems those who would normally gather around and demand to hear the news updates so the case doesn't go cold, are not doing so. JMO

Boy, that one stoplight town thing really got you guys going. LOL. I was referring to them being small and therefore Beth would of stood out even more. My apologies.

Edited to add: If I could find work way out in the country area's of the state, we'd live there too. I like quiet. :)

I have no way of knowing if it's true, but it was posted on the facebook page that it was RR's older brother NR, but of course that post disappeared too. On the discussion boards, a lady has posted she NR's "second mother" and is defending him. Her post is still there.

I believe NR is younger brother. <21.

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2010/06/17/r_l9tbf7styev_ek_xribwq/index.xml

“I have heard nothing,” Bentley said Thursday when asked whether police had any new information. “I know they are working on it very hard; it’s a top priority for them.”

<Sniped>

Woodstock police still are considering possibilities including that Bentley was abducted, fell victim to some type of harm, or chose to leave for her own reasons.

On Thursday, police said they did not have any new information to release related to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove