Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I live in Woodstock, and this is just my humble opinion - and it is from years of various experiences watching court cases, watching and witnessing crimes, reading the newspaper etc etc and going to Coffee with the Chief--- It is my own sad opinion, and just an opinion..... many things go on here that are ......not taken seriously, brushed under the rug, ignored, or dropped the ball on. By LE, by court, by media. Kind of weird, we moved here over 20 years ago to get away from Cook county. Many times I feel like we jumped from the frying pan into the fire.
My years of various experiences and interactions within the county- many of my internet friends now call Woodstock "Rudestock" - from other things they have read or seen or heard of (not just my experiences) and the also always call Illinois, This county, this town---- The Twilite Zone.
Some days I fear beth has fallen into some bad hole in the Twilite Zone. :-( It makes me so sad.
Yes I am an active member of our community, I do not mean I am not. I am a volunteer in many community and county organizations and functions. But even after all this time, I feel as if this is some kind of strange little corner of the world.
Sorry, I hope I do not offend other people who live here. And it is simply only MY opinion.
I do hope LE is working it behind the scenes and getting somewhere with the investigation and just choosing not to publicize it.
I do not know Beth, I do not know her family, I do not know her friends. But I AM part of this community and I DO care about my fellow people on this whole planet.

Somewhat OT, but I would like to add. I understand your frustration. IMO, I personally do not believe it is exclusive to Woodstock. I'm in DuPage and from the cases I've followed I see this in ALL of NE to central Northern IL. After months of trying to submit and follow up on a tip on a case out of DuPage - I just finally found a contact who answers the phone! IMO, Lake and DuPage and the wealthier communities - at least where County is concerned are not as citizen friendly as the cities and villages in this area. I'm not saying they do not care, but it takes a lot more patience and persistance to continue to follow up on any leads or tips submitted to LE.

Just saying... and jmo. I thought that insight might be helpful for those who are frustrated with the lack of info or response from LE regarding Beths case.

just saw on fb today that we have a 14 year old local girl missing - within an hour of reporting her missing, LE was looking at wal mart tapes and people are everywhere searching for her --- without "asking" i might add --- they sure acted quickly on this one --- why not for beth?

hoping they bring nicola hammond home and that beth comes home too!

There is a big difference between adult missing persons cases and children missing persons cases. An adult can be willingly missing, where as a child is not old enough to make that decision. I'm not saying Beth is willingly misisng but a child is considered in more danger than a missing adult, especially where no evidence of foul play exists as in Beths case.

JMO

I was at a BBQ last weekend that 2 off duty woodstock cops attended. I'm not sure how this works regarding the TOS. Maybe someone can help me out a bit. Unfortunatly what they said to me and another woman regarding the PD's opinion on the case and how it was headed was extremely disheartening. I'm willing to post the opinions they gave me but do I need to be verified? I also want to be respectful of any friends or family members who may be here. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tricia has explained the verification process and who needs to be verified - and who would not - in this post:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IL IL - Bennedetta "Beth" Bentley, 41, Woodstock/Centralia 23 May 2010 - Part 4

hth

ETA: This being a discussion thread, discussion is welcome. For those who are friends and family, discussion may be more than they wish to read so we have a seperate area and thread for Beth at WS for missing persons information and family support only. Hope that clarifies.......

the media relationship here is also somewhat .... different. AN example- last nite the elec went off, it wasloud and bright, came on, then off again. cells abuzz, many conversations, and whatever, came word of poles sheared, causeing brilliant explosion, possibly causeing a 2nd accident? not long before ANOTHER accident, possibly responding to ANOTHER accident- a squad car was hit. Electricity was out in a good portion of town. Possible fatality at one of the accidents. In the newspaper? Very little info, - very very little. The media just does not always report much.
While at the scene of the one accident, I got rumor word via bystanders that the day before, doors down from my own house, was a heroin bust and a body taken out of a house? I saw nothing in media. Of course I do not know this is true. I again, saw nothing in the newspaper.
SO, it is possible LE is learning things, but.......things here just do not seem to be shared with the public.

WELCOME Pumpkin! I'm looking forward to reading what info you can add this case.

Lets just add to the confusion shall we?! So.... in the past day I have learned that SB has a degree in RT yet there is little to no media coverage on this case. Strange??!! (the program at SIU is nationally known). There is now talk on FB about her cell phone being used to order pizza from a place in MV. By a male... and then never picked up. No dates though. Is the implication that it was after the time she went "missing" since the person also stated that her cell phone was used to call that business several times over a several day period?

I was at a BBQ last weekend that 2 off duty woodstock cops attended. I'm not sure how this works regarding the TOS. Maybe someone can help me out a bit. Unfortunatly what they said to me and another woman regarding the PD's opinion on the case and how it was headed was extremely disheartening. I'm willing to post the opinions they gave me but do I need to be verified? I also want to be respectful of any friends or family members who may be here. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Pumpkin

There is nothing you can tell me that will shock me at this point. I have a pretty good idea of what I THINK they may have said, but would sure love to hear it from you anyway.

I would like to clarify first, this was the opinion of the 2 PO's. I accidentally stated the opinion of the PD. Sorry about that. Basically they said she was a lot closer to home...AND HIDING OUT!!! I didn't give them my opinion. I didn't want to seem pushy or argumentative, after all it was a BBQ.
I don't believe that, I believe WPD dropped the ball.

I can believe they might drop the ball. Sad but true, but I have seen that with a few cases, even ones where people get harmed becuz of it. I am still going to hope they just are not saying what they know, what they have learned etc. BUT nothing surprises me.

I would like to clarify first, this was the opinion of the 2 PO's. I accidentally stated the opinion of the PD. Sorry about that. Basically they said she was a lot closer to home...AND HIDING OUT!!! I didn't give them my opinion. I didn't want to seem pushy or argumentative, after all it was a BBQ.
I don't believe that, I believe WPD dropped the ball.

Thanks for sharing. Really? I wonder what they KNOW (facts) that would lead them to believe that or....is it like I said before, maybe they are thinking "oh, this woman had extra marital affairs, she probably just took off". Also, this is just two police officers, so they could have just been talking smack. I believe detectives would be working the case anyway, not regular police officers.

In any event, IF, and I mean a really BIG IF, that's true, I'm happy that she's alive. Sure put a lot of people through a lot of suffering though. But again, we STILL don't know the truth. Will we ever?

Thanks for sharing. Really? I wonder what they KNOW (facts) that would lead them to believe that or....is it like I said before, maybe they are thinking "oh, this woman had extra marital affairs, she probably just took off". Also, this is just two police officers, so they could have just been talking smack. I believe detectives would be working the case anyway, not regular police officers.

In any event, IF, and I mean a really BIG IF, that's true, I'm happy that she's alive. Sure put a lot of people through a lot of suffering though. But again, we STILL don't know the truth. Will we ever?

What were you thinking the officers might of said.

Ran across this case about a man that was abducted out of his business in IL. How is it that a family of this guy can offer up a reward of $20,000.00 the next day, then $40,000.00 and ultimately a $50,000.00 reward before he is found. But a Beth's reward from the families is either $2000.00-3000.00 dollars and the remainder of the $5000.00 is from crimestopers? I sure hope they put the money from the trust and fundraiser to go use.

Link to WS thread involving this man. Found Deceased IL - Ibrahim Nofal, 28, Orland Park, 13 July 2010 - Possible Abduction - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2508292,lockport-missing-man-reward-071810.article

Family and friends are offering a $40,000 reward for information leading to Ibrahim Nofal's whereabouts and the arrest and conviction of those who took him, his cousin said.

What were you thinking the officers might of said.

I thought they would say that she took off of her own free will. Merely based on her "lifestyle". I don't think they are taking it very seriously, JMO. I was thinking today, anybody who knows Beth knows she gets bored very fast. She cannot just sit at home. She went out almost every night. She constantly talked or texted on the phone. She had to see her friends a lot. She loved going to bars, concerts, all types of things. Even while she worked, she was playing farmville. So....how does she go into hiding, particularly "close to home", yet, nobody has seen her? She'd go out of her mind if she was hiding out and had to stay locked indoors so she wouldn't be spotted. I just don't buy it. Doesn't make sense. I'm not saying it can't be possible, anything is possible, but it sure doesn't make sense.

Ran across this case about a man that was abducted out of his business in IL. How is it that a family of this guy can offer up a reward of $20,000.00 the next day, then $40,000.00 and ultimately a $50,000.00 reward before he is found. But a Beth's reward from the families is either $2000.00-3000.00 dollars and the remainder of the $5000.00 is from crimestopers? I sure hope they put the money from the trust and fundraiser to go use.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2508292,lockport-missing-man-reward-071810.article

Family and friends are offering a $40,000 reward for information leading to Ibrahim Nofal's whereabouts and the arrest and conviction of those who took him, his cousin said.

I heard about that guy too and thought the same thing.

WELCOME Pumpkin! I'm looking forward to reading what info you can add this case.

Lets just add to the confusion shall we?! So.... in the past day I have learned that SB has a degree in RT yet there is little to no media coverage on this case. Strange??!! (the program at SIU is nationally known). There is now talk on FB about her cell phone being used to order pizza from a place in MV. By a male... and then never picked up. No dates though. Is the implication that it was after the time she went "missing" since the person also stated that her cell phone was used to call that business several times over a several day period?

oh my. Now I am thorougly confused. how many cell phones did BB have? Was there more than one? Did she take more than one on the weekend getaway?

ay yi yi.

I agree and not to bash LE, but I wonder if this was said after having a few drinks while off duty at a BBQ. I'm not saying that they were or were not drinking, I am just not used to LE having such a non chalant attitude over an open investigation they may not be directly involved in investigating. I'm going to leave it at that so I don't have to time myself out.

JMO

I will add to this generally speaking. There are some LE and some cases and members here where LE will share info but ask it be held confidential. Sometimes a WS'r will develope that kind of rapport after working a few cases and some interaction with LE. Especially when LE determines the info a sleuth is providing them is credible and relative to the case. When that happens, we do post that we have info from LE but have been asked not to share it. It is not meant to say we have info we cant' share in a bad way, but in a way we are asking - if you find us trustworthy and credible to please take our word for it- understanding while we have info we will not break that confidence LE has entrusted us with.

I don't know that it is necessary to come back and post that without it being in relation to an attempt to answer a question from another poster, because it is not. The only time I have seen posts in the manner which we are discussing is in relation to an attempt to answer a question without breaking a confidence.

I hope that makes sense and provides some understanding on why a question may be answered that way. Keep in mind we have appx 4-5 'verified' posters here who may have first hand info that they can say they know but can't fully share. As long as that is not 'abused' and presented properly we will allow it and it is up to the reader to determine whether the poster has earned their trust or credibility.

hth

I misspoke in the above post. The above was my opinion based on a non mod hat, but I have since clarified my misunderstanding with Admin here at WS and it IS a violation of TOS to speak of having confidential or information which can not be shared or posted, and is considered baiting.

In other words, do not post about being privy to info which can not be shared or posted publically.

For example:

LE explained to me information on the phone records will take some time = OK

LE told me WHY it will take some time to get info on the phone records but asked me to keep that confidential = NOT OK.

PM me or email me if you have any questions.

thank you
Cubby

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an RT degree? Only thing I can come up with is respiratory therapist. :waitasec:

tia

Hmm

OK I live in Woodstock, and this is just my humble opinion - and it is from years of various experiences watching court cases, watching and witnessing crimes, reading the newspaper etc etc and going to Coffee with the Chief--- It is my own sad opinion, and just an opinion..... many things go on here that are ......not taken seriously, brushed under the rug, ignored, or dropped the ball on. By LE, by court, by media. Kind of weird, we moved here over 20 years ago to get away from Cook county. Many times I feel like we jumped from the frying pan into the fire.
My years of various experiences and interactions within the county- - from other things they have read or seen or heard of (not just my experiences) and the also always call Illinois, This county, this town---- The Twilite Zone.
Some days I fear beth has fallen into some bad hole in the Twilite Zone. :-( It makes me so sad.
Yes I am an active member of our community, I do not mean I am not. I am a volunteer in many community and county organizations and functions. But even after all this time, I feel as if this is some kind of strange little corner of the world.
Sorry, I hope I do not offend other people who live here. And it is simply only MY opinion.
I do hope LE is working it behind the scenes and getting somewhere with the investigation and just choosing not to publicize it.
I do not know Beth, I do not know her family, I do not know her friends. But I AM part of this community and I DO care about my fellow people on this whole planet.

I concur. The Chief of Police does not like media. He likes to keep things quiet. How often to you see police reports from Woodstock posted on the NWH? That is telling. You have to grill him in those coffee meetings for real answers. JMexperience.

I wonder if Beth had this on her I-phone? I didn't see anything about a limit to how many days after your phone is turned off that you can go back into your profile and look to see where your phone was last located.

http://omnillc.com/dthelp.asp#p15

A lot you can do with I-phones. They also back up text messages if you use i-tunes. I mentioned this in a private IM to a friend of BB but they have not confirmed she used i-tunes before her trip so I am posting this in-case WS members are on other missing person threads and could use this information.

Hmm

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an RT degree? Only thing I can come up with is respiratory therapist. :waitasec:

tia

Hmm

SB had majored in Radio and Television. Seems strange that someone with this kind of background would not use it to his advantage to get the case more air time.

Link to his law firms website. http://www.scottbentleylaw.com/DynamicAttorneys.shtml

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member