Found Deceased IL - Benedetta 'Beth' Bentley, 41, Mount Vernon, 23 May 2010 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is my first and only post, I have been following along silently Beth's case keeps me awake at night. I have grown extremely frustrated at the lack of coverage she has received. What's going on with the remains? I'm considering writing in to crime watch daily in regards. Very tired of looking at a certain two individuals parents fb and seeing them go on with life with a smile. I can't be quiet any longer. Justice for Beth. Why does it seem like no one cares but us? This is haunting me everyday.

Welcome to WS Infg. If the remains are badly burnt it could be difficult to obtain DNA as the heat can destroy dna. Plus there is a backlog for cases going to trial which pushes those with no set trial date back. Plus, in addition to a formal id, there has to be some effort to see if a COD can be determined, especially for a homicide case to move forward.

I've learned over the years of being a member here just because LE is quiet doesn't mean things are quiet behind the scenes. This case started with SO much drama LE has to be extra cautious to ensure they don't blow future convictions.

As hard as it is, try and be patient. Justice will come for Beth, no one living stays silent forever.

Thanks cubby, I check the internet everyday for activity. I went to highschool with a allegedly involved party and I am stunned to say the least. Beth went missing the weekend my daughter was born in Jeff co. So I have thought about her a lot around my child's birthday each year. I would like her children have some closure. I can't tell you the amount of times I have drove past the miller lake house unknowingly. I thought about leaving her flowers but I don't want to be intrusive to who owns the property currently. I feel a very strong connection to Beth that is hard for me to describe. Thanks for listening.

Virtually every article I've read thus far keeps stating, in what I consider an awkward spot in the article, the description of the two bags she was carrying. I know that many times this info is just copy-pasted, but there are some articles that give no other physical description of her. That all leads me to believe that the other items they're talking about finding with the burned remains are something having to do with her bags. I believe one was a large white Coach bag. I think that would be too recognizable for her potential killers to want to keep AND most high-end bags have metal tags, usually on the outside and on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that one of those tags was found nearby.
Perhaps the timing means something, but not with the death declaration. There's the idea, correct or not, that the statute of limitations is 7 years. I think that, even if that is true (I haven't really looked into this, it's just common info many people are told), homicide cases are usually exceptions to this. The people she was surrounded with don't seem particularly intelligent so I doubt they would read much into it, especially if they were in a desperate positron (I wonder if someone close to the people involved is trying to avoid prison time for something).
Last thing that really bugs me, did police not bring dogs anywhere close to the property?! I mean... I would think burned human would be pretty freaking recognizable (forgive the insincere tone, it just seems like this should have slapped LE in the face if they searched anywhere near the time she went missing). The fact that LE knew of a burn pile soon after her disappearance, I just.... I can't even. This should not have been missed, dense forest or no.
I think LE may have believed the wrong people in this case. With suggestions of her infidelity after already lying about where she was to her husband, it breaks my heart to think LE may have assumed she disappeared on purpose (and many of the public were convinced odd that, as well) and didn't follow up on some things they should have.
Who else thinks that the calls the friend made to Beth's phone weren't TO Beth, that someone else was in possession of her phone and it was maybe to buy them extra time? I find it highly unlikely JW left with her friend still alive. And her lying and changing stories absolutely bought them time.

I do not believe Beth was who answered her phone I believe this was an attempt to falsify a timeline and make it look as is she was still alive at that time when she was already deceased.

Big news today! The remains are being reviewed by forensic anthropologists at the University of Indianapolis. A team of anthropologists have cleaned the remains and are trying to extract a DNA sample to identify the body. I believe the Illinois State Police, who is in charge of the investigation, sent the remains to the Univ. of Indy after unsuccessful attempts were made on their part. Let's hope they're successful this time!

I am very relieved to see progress made. Blessings to all of those who have kept this woman's story going. All we can hope for is justice and closure.

It will be very interesting to see with this news (hit the local Woodstock, IL paper this morning) if someone finally steps forward to reveal the truth as to what happened and cut a deal to save some jail time. I'm very hopeful this team of anthropologists will identify the remains. There has to be a good reason why the ISP sent the remains to them.

Yes it will! In the beginning Beth was slandered so badly I really hope they take down the ppl who took her life. She deserves peace. Some of the stuff they said about her was so atrocious surprises me how quiet it's became now. Someone knows something I think the R family in particular knows alot

It took seven long years, but I believe someone finally slipped up and told someone something which led to the tip to find the remains where they were. Whoever slipped up needs to come forward now and give the whole truth to LE and cut a deal in the process to avoid or get less jail time. My only concern is that the others involved may do harm to or threaten the one who slipped up to keep them from coming forward.

Virtually every article I've read thus far keeps stating, in what I consider an awkward spot in the article, the description of the two bags she was carrying. I know that many times this info is just copy-pasted, but there are some articles that give no other physical description of her. That all leads me to believe that the other items they're talking about finding with the burned remains are something having to do with her bags. I believe one was a large white Coach bag. I think that would be too recognizable for her potential killers to want to keep AND most high-end bags have metal tags, usually on the outside and on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that one of those tags was found nearby.
Perhaps the timing means something, but not with the death declaration. There's the idea, correct or not, that the statute of limitations is 7 years. I think that, even if that is true (I haven't really looked into this, it's just common info many people are told), homicide cases are usually exceptions to this. The people she was surrounded with don't seem particularly intelligent so I doubt they would read much into it, especially if they were in a desperate positron (I wonder if someone close to the people involved is trying to avoid prison time for something).
Last thing that really bugs me, did police not bring dogs anywhere close to the property?! I mean... I would think burned human would be pretty freaking recognizable (forgive the insincere tone, it just seems like this should have slapped LE in the face if they searched anywhere near the time she went missing). The fact that LE knew of a burn pile soon after her disappearance, I just.... I can't even. This should not have been missed, dense forest or no.
I think LE may have believed the wrong people in this case. With suggestions of her infidelity after already lying about where she was to her husband, it breaks my heart to think LE may have assumed she disappeared on purpose (and many of the public were convinced odd that, as well) and didn't follow up on some things they should have.
Who else thinks that the calls the friend made to Beth's phone weren't TO Beth, that someone else was in possession of her phone and it was maybe to buy them extra time? I find it highly unlikely JW left with her friend still alive. And her lying and changing stories absolutely bought them time.

The local LE did not investigate this as it should have been. They didn't seem to take it seriously, maybe because they believed her husband more than they believed her.

IMO, the R's, JW, and SB all know a lot more than what they are telling. I'm guessing someone cracked under pressure and gave up BB's location, but if they did, I would think they would have had to give a lot more info than just location - like, how she knew where the body was.

I believe LE stated that they were given an anonymous tip as to where to find the remains. If this is true, I believe one of the principles involved may have slipped up and told someone what happened and that person may have been the anonymous tip. Most certainly if the R's, JW or SB were the one to go to LE with the location of the remains I believe they would've been arrested already???

I don't know - it's possible someone connected to one of them sent in the tip. It's also possible that one of them will cooperate and cut a deal. Most likely, we don't know what all info LE has. It's a good thing we have a new sheriff here in the county. The last one was too busy campaigning and messing around with women to take time out of his busy schedule to investigate the disappearance, or to search for her remains. (I should disclose here that I'm friends with his ex-wife, so I might find myself being extra harsh on him.) I think Woodstock did more for BB's case than any local LE. I hope they will be able to retrieve enough information to actually work with. But then, since her body was located on the land where the R's were rehabbing a home pretty much keeps them in the picture.

The team of anthropologists at the Univ. of Indianapolis have had the remains for well over two weeks and nothing has come out. Is this bad news or typical?

The team of anthropologists at the Univ. of Indianapolis have had the remains for well over two weeks and nothing has come out. Is this bad news or typical?

Typical. After 7 years, any soft tissue in which DNA can easily be extracted from has decomposed, all that is left is bone. Add to that the remains were apparently burned, which make it even more difficult.

JMO

Thank you Joe. I also wonder if they're able to extract DNA from the bones which have been burned, if they'll be able conclusively identify them as Beth's? Is it just a matter of somehow, someway extracting DNA or is it all based upon what you're dealing with?

Bumping for Beth. I sure wish we knew what was going on. FWIW, I've seen other cases here at WS take upwards of a year for DNA results.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truecrimefanatic2024
Back