IL - Child, 9, charged in fire deaths of 5 people, Goodfield, 6 Apr 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry - can not help as I am not coming up with any articles for the hearing yesterday.
Maybe @imstilla.grandma can find one - ??
Who are the three witnesses for the Defense who didn't show up in court? Did they show up today?
Snips: more @ link

The boy denied to authorities that he set the fire, but his mother contends that he later confessed to her, saying he “prayed to God no one would die,” State’s Attorney Greg Minger said Thursday in closing remarks.

Differing accounts of the boy’s previous experience with setting fires and a possible explanation of the fatal fire that involved a furnace malfunction are explainable, said the prosecutor.

“No one wanted to believe someone set this fire on purpose, but the evidence shows otherwise,” said Minger.

Minger pointed to an opinion from the state fire marshal’s office that the heaviest damage to the mobile home appeared to be in the center of the residence, near a couch where the boy often slept.

The state has linked the child to several previous fires, both before and after the April 2019 fatal blaze.

Testimony from family members indicate the boy was in the vicinity of three other fires discovered before the mobile home fire that killed four of his relatives and his mother’s boyfriend. According to testimony from the boy’s aunt, he admitted to setting fire to a chair but denied involvement in the two other fires.

The state presented evidence that the child was responsible for a fire set in September 2021 while he was visiting a home in Peoria with five people inside. After the fire was discovered, he tried to blame an autistic child living in the home, said the prosecutor.

Evidence of similarities between the fire is striking, said Minger, and supports a case of “murder by arson — that’s what this is.”

“We don’t know where the fire started or who started it,” said the defense lawyer.

The then-9 year-old “had a history of admitting things he didn’t do,” said Dluski, adding that “our position is he should be found innocent because he did not commit the crime.”

In his ruling, Feeney acknowledged the similarities between the circumstances of the multiple fires. The boy’s initial denials and attempts to cover up the fires “shows his understanding of the wrongfulness of his conduct,” said the judge.

Feeney said testimony from the boy’s mother that she hid anything that could be used by her son to start a fire shows “she clearly was scared of his propensity to do something.”

Feeney said he considers the child “a teachable kid,” with “an educational problem,” rather than a mental health issue. As part of the evaluation process, the judge said he will be asking the psychiatrist for recommendations as to what is needed to restore the child to mental fitness.

After the hearing, Minger said, “at the end of the day, he can still have a trial if he’s found fit and it may have a different result – he may be found not guilty.”

The court process will mirror adult court in that negotiations may be conducted where charges are reduced, modified or dismissed as part of the resolution of the case. If he is found guilty at a trial, the punishment facing the teen will be no more severe than the consequences he faced as a 9-year-old: counseling and probation.

An April14 hearing is set to review the status of the evaluation.
Judge: State has sufficient evidence in Goodfield fire case bbm

<modsnip - not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW. So he started ANOTHER fire 2 years later. Doesn't sound like the 'help' he's been getting is helping. I wonder if that will be brought up in a trial.. if it goes that far. Either way, he will be out at 18 even if found guilty, correct? Thanks Imstilla.grandma for the updated info.

WOW. So he started ANOTHER fire 2 years later. Doesn't sound like the 'help' he's been getting is helping. I wonder if that will be brought up in a trial.. if it goes that far. Either way, he will be out at 18 even if found guilty, correct? Thanks Imstilla.grandma for the updated info.

Uh? Where is that information coming from? TIA.

Uh? Where is that information coming from? TIA.
Upthread..
“The state presented evidence that the child was responsible for a fire set in September 2021 while he was visiting a home in Peoria with five people inside. After the fire was discovered, he tried to blame an autistic child living in the home, said the prosecutor”

Upthread..
“The state presented evidence that the child was responsible for a fire set in September 2021 while he was visiting a home in Peoria with five people inside. After the fire was discovered, he tried to blame an autistic child living in the home, said the prosecutor”
Oh... If he was with his mother or his aunt/cousin I wouldn't really credit it that much. His mother publicly identified her son by his full name and provided pictures that showed his face. And his aunt/cousin was very ready to have a 8-year-old child be imprisoned right away, without any investigation even done, which I can understand to a degree because she lost a child, but nobody can be punished without an investigation and evidence.

I also think that it's absolutely ridiculous that this kid has started, at least, FIVE fires but nobody ever saw him do it. Never. How could that be possible? I'm not saying he didn't but it's amazing how this happened so many times with zero witnesses. His mother admitted in court, under oath, that her son would say he did things that he hasn't actually done... come on. There is a lot of stuff in this case that doesn't add up.

It's so awful. Even if he did set all of those fires, why the heck is nobody watching him? Why does he keep gaining access to devices that facilitate starting a fire?

This kid clearly needs a lot of therapy and treatment, but he also needs someone to be present, to not neglect him, to watch him, see him, listen to him. This was 100% preventable, yet 5 people died. At this point it would probably be better to just place him in some sort of therapeutic residential facility/program because nobody is taking care of him still.

If he really is a pyromaniac he needs some sort of intervention. There isn't a cure but he can be monitored and given tools to deal with it.

Upthread..

I think it is obvious that Kyle had a traumatic childhood. I also believe that he has significant mental problems. The judge referred to only his learning problems (ADHD) which denotes that the judge seems uneducated in how this condition can greatly affect a child's life. (see below for impulsive behaviour).

When his mother and other family members finally told the truth about his prior fire settings, I believe this was the first step in trying to get real help for him (if possible) instead of covering it up to protect him on the arson and murder charges.

The latest arson blamed on him by the prosecution needs to be fully investigated. It's easy to blame the "charged" arsonist without a proper investigation.
My hope is that Kyle gets the therapy he needs regardless of the trial outcome. I hope his grandparents who took him in are still in his corner. He will need their support.

"ADHD is one of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders of childhood. It is usually first diagnosed in childhood and often lasts into adulthood. Children with ADHD may have trouble paying attention, CONTROLLING IMPULSIVE BEHAVIORS (may act without thinking about what the result will be), or be overly active.

What is ADHD?.

"Overall, clinicians and the public at large should take note of firesetting as a dangerous pattern of behaviour and a potential feature of a mental disorder."

Why Do Children Set Fires?

Friday, April 14th:
*Status Hearing (@ am CT) - IL – Ariel Wall (1), Daemeon Wall (2), Rose Alwood (2), Jason Wall (34) & Kathryn Murray (69) (April 6, 2019, Timberline Mobile Home Park, Goodfield) - *Kyle Alwood (9/now 13) arrested & charged (10/7/19) with 5 counts of murder, 2 counts of arson & 1 count of aggravated arson. The aggravated arson charge is based on the conclusion that the child knew people were in the home at the time the fire was started. Plead not guilty.
Information & court hearings from 10/21/19 thru 5/13/22 reference post #56 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/...5-people-goodfield-6-apr-2019-2.603311/page-3

2/23/23 Update: Terry Brown, a fire causation expert, testified Thursday in Woodford County Court that the fire’s cause was undetermined & he classified it as undetermined, He added he could not rule out that it was accidental. He testified as part of a series of discharge hearings, which are held to determine if the evidence against a defendant who is unfit to stand trial is sufficient to establish guilt. The boy was found unfit to stand trial earlier in his case after mental health evaluations. The state’s side has rested its case, but the boy’s defense attorney, Peter Dluski, indicated he has three additional witnesses for the court to hear. They were not present Thursday. After two hours of testimony from Brown & learning that the other witnesses would not take the stand, Judge Charles Feeney set the next discharge hearing for 3/16/23. Judge Feeney added he was frustrated that the witnesses were not present & wanted the case to reach a conclusion, which has been “drawn out to a degree that is reaching absurdity.”
3/16/23 Update: Judge Charles Feeney concluded the first phase of juvenile court proceedings to determine if the state has enough evidence to prove arson & murder charges beyond a reasonable doubt. In affirming the state’s case, Feeney determined the boy was “not acquitted of the charges,” and ordered a mental health evaluation by a Peoria psychiatrist to see if a July 2020 finding of unfitness still stands. State law allows up to five years for the boy to be restored to mental fitness on the murder charges, meaning the deadline for the process is July 9, 2026. The standard for mental fitness is a defendant’s ability to understand the charges & legal process & the ability to assist one’s lawyer with a defense. Feeney said he considers the child “a teachable kid,” with “an educational problem,” rather than a mental health issue. As part of the evaluation process, the judge said he will be asking the psychiatrist for recommendations as to what is needed to restore the child to mental fitness. An 4/14/23 hearing is set to review the status of the evaluation.

@TootsieFootsie or @imstilla.grandma - are there any further court dates? I am coming up with zero updated articles.

TIA!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

@TootsieFootsie or @imstilla.grandma - are there any further court dates? I am coming up with zero updated articles.

TIA!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley
Judge Charles Feeney’s discharge ruling indicated the evidence presented could prove beyond a reasonable doubt the boy was guilty of five counts of first degree murder, two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson.

Feeney found the boy not “not guilty” and ordered a mental evaluation.

On Friday, attorneys said the mental evaluation has not been completed yet.

The judge put a pause on the evaluation until the appeals court makes a decision. The boy has been appointed a public defender.

Judge Charles Feeney’s discharge ruling indicated the evidence presented could prove beyond a reasonable doubt the boy was guilty of five counts of first degree murder, two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson.

Feeney found the boy not “not guilty” and ordered a mental evaluation.

On Friday, attorneys said the mental evaluation has not been completed yet.

The judge put a pause on the evaluation until the appeals court makes a decision. The boy has been appointed a public defender.

Thank you! :)

i'm confused. the judge found enough evidence he was guilty, but ruled NOT GUILTY and ordered mental eval? And the Defense is filing an appeal on the NOT GUILTY? totally lost on this one.

I don't exactly doubt he started the fire, but I don't believe he did it with the intention of murdering anyone. His mother shouldn't have said anything to the media about who did what.

From his YT videos, it was very clear that he had some behavioral issues, but the biggest problem was the clear neglect, the dirty, messy house, his mother completely out of her mind, his siblings looking the way they did. Kyle is also a victim. CPS visited the home SEVERAL times and nobody thought "gee, better mention that this 5-year-old boy is starting fires and ask for help because this might end badly".
I completely agree with you ,plus he has always been in an out of his grandparent homes before hadnt he ? Like their were living in the same mobile home park right?
I am going to venture to say whenever his people act out they probably pick up the phone an get dramatic about lies and truths. IMO .

Yes - it does sound quite confusing??
IMO, not NOT guilty means either ngri or guilty. I think that is why the eval was ordered in order to determine which.
The boy's lawyers are appealing the not NOT guilty ruling. If the appeal succeeds, then no reason for the eval, hence the pause on the not complete eval.

This keeps continuing, I thought it was a "done deal" that the child was not competent to stand trial. And I hope that this kid is not with his mother.

He would probably be better off in a therapeutic facility. Intensive inpatient school and therapy setting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back