GUILTY IL - Chyenne Kircher, 14, East Dubuque, 12 Oct 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Chyenne seemed to be admired and liked by many people. It's sad to hear she was always walking alone, but you know, walking and talking to people must have made her happy. I'm glad she had that. The comments from people who saw her, and knew her, are heartwarming. Bless her family for the pain they are enduring. I think she is walking in a really beautiful place now.

Pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpnQ6bEarP0

This just made me cry. Knowing what we do know at this point...dayum. How ironic??

Good morning everyone. I just started following Cheyenne's case yesterday. I have not made it to the last page yet, but I was hoping to read they had recovered Cheyenne's body. Just felt I had to comment on the youtube video.... Oh my! That is awful! I wonder if LE has seen that? In light of what happened to her. . . I don't know how to respond except that scared the he!! out of me. :scared:

I'm glad that Cheyenne was recovered. Such a beautiful happy child. She did not deserve this. When I watched the video I wanted to say give her to me Dear Lord. No wonder the skies are crying today.

This makes me so sad. I can't imagine what her mom is going through right now and how miserable Chyenne's life must have been. :(

With statistics being what they are, I really wish LE could do an intense investigation into parents when children went "missing" to clear them or find out the truth, while simultaneously treating it as a missing child case and doing those searches as well. :( I think so many more cases could be solved if parents were immediately investigated and cleared (where applicable) like they did in the Jessica Ridgeway case, they cleared her parents within days which moved to focus to finding her killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpnQ6bEarP0

This just made me cry. Knowing what we do know at this point...dayum. How ironic??

The first guy in the video COULD be the suspect or could be SS.
They are both built the same way and we never see his face.
There is definitely nothing definitive to say who it is. :twocents:

The guy who threatens to break her hand and karate chops her is NOT the suspect.
That is her step or half brother. He's a brother but I'm not sure who his parents are.

I remember seeing that video before and wondering about it.
However, there was some reason I wasn't as suspicious of the brother.
I don't remember why, it's been too long now. :waitasec:

The brother who was slightly older than her and also had a location based named was her full brother I believe...but he would have been her only full sibling. When Chyenne was around 10 and moseying around town, he was sometimes with her. He had a chopper bike at the time and sometimes she was on it, sometimes him.

Not too long before she went missing (at most toward the end of summer 2011, possibly after the school year started), I was in the library when she came in and told one of the employees he was going to get his driver license soon and start taking her places if she helped him with his homework or did it. If she were 14 (which she would have been at the time based on her birthday), he would have been 16 to 17, which would make him the one now 19.

He never seemed to be much bigger than her whenever I saw them together and based on the age she looks in those videos, I'd say the older boy was probably him. I agree that them man in those videos is either the stepfather or a similarly sized/groomed person.

There was a video on the TelegraphHerald website until recently featuring a balloon launch the high school did on the one-year anniversary (I believe) and they gave her mother an art project Chyenne made. There was a man to the right of the mother almost out of the camera frame while the mom made comments to the news reporter. It was probably the step dad. He was the right frame and also had the long brown hair.

I always wondered how he could stand beside her while she worried about her daughter knowing that he must have been the primary factor for her running away. Now that we know the truth...it is even worse.

The TH has reposted some archive footage of Lyons speaking to the press and may make that one available.

The brother who was slightly older than her and also had a location based named was her full brother I believe...but he would have been her only full sibling. When Chyenne was around 10 and moseying around town, he was sometimes with her. He had a chopper bike at the time and sometimes she was on it, sometimes him.

Not too long before she went missing (at most toward the end of summer 2011, possibly after the school year started), I was in the library when she came in and told one of the employees he was going to get his driver license soon and start taking her places if she helped him with his homework or did it. If she were 14 (which she would have been at the time based on her birthday), he would have been 16 to 17, which would make him the one now 19.

He never seemed to be much bigger than her whenever I saw them together and based on the age she looks in those videos, I'd say the older boy was probably him. I agree that them man in those videos is either the stepfather or a similarly sized/groomed person.

There was a video on the TelegraphHerald website until recently featuring a balloon launch the high school did on the one-year anniversary (I believe) and they gave her mother an art project Chyenne made. There was a man to the right of the mother almost out of the camera frame while the mom made comments to the news reporter. It was probably the step dad. He was the right frame and also had the long brown hair.

I always wondered how he could stand beside her while she worried about her daughter knowing that he must have been the primary factor for her running away. Now that we know the truth...it is even worse.

The TH has reposted some archive footage of Lyons speaking to the press and may make that one available.

He doesn't use his real name on facebook, but I think you are right.
I think the brother in the video is probably CK.

(I don't know how to refer to SS here, because he is basically a second stepfather? So I'll just use initials.)
Terry and SS are both skinny, with long hair. Terry looks a bit older, but that's about it.

They look like they could be brothers. They look a lot alike.
It'd be pretty tough to determine which was which unless you get a REAL clear look at them.
However, SS seems to be the one that was supportive, at least online. For what it's worth. :twocents:

clearly the police chief never felt comfortable with this case as a runaway since he called in the new group to go over it again. seems like there was lots of evidence they could follow to lead to TA. If only the rank and file at the time had done the same. I will never forget there was a cop who went the extra mile to get her justice.

I do wonder what would have happened if they had walked an HRD dog out in those woods....

Does Terry Abbas have a record? What is known about his past? We should be free to sleuth him now.

Does Terry Abbas have a record? What is known about his past? We should be free to sleuth him now.

I haven't seen anything, but that's never been my strong point.
I know he isn't an RSO, but beyond that I got nothing.
Most of what comes up in a search is related to this arrest. :twocents:

Looking at pics of her stepfather I'm wondering how he managed to carry a "meaty" girl up into the woods.
I also seem to remember reading early on that one of the household found Chy's note in their car when there were leaving to go to work at 10pm. My guess is, that was the perpetrator himself. If indeed it was, he didn't have to face Chy's mum as she didn't get home until 11pm.

I'm still amazed that he managed to strangle her by himself.
She definitely would have outweighed him. (He was very skinny even back then.)
Maybe he drugged her first? Since it appears they believe he acted alone.

However, maybe he killed her in the woods. Maybe he got her up there and then strangled her there.
He could have even had a grave already dug if this was planned and just rolled her into it.

If he did kill her in the house, my best guess was that he used a wheelbarrow to move her.

First post here, I had to sign up to weigh in on this.

As someone who lived in Dubuque, IA for 14 years, I have to say I am not surprised that it took them 2 years to find her.

Dubuque is right across the bridge from East Dubuque, IL and is covered by the same news stations. As a news junkie, I never once heard about Cheyenne, and I lived there during the time she first went missing. There also wasn't anything mentioned on radio stations, so I was surprised when I saw this post on Websleuths the other day.

Even though I now live in Los Angeles where I attend college, I still keep tabs on what goes on the area. For months, news stations had things set up for Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook, but nothing about Cheyenne, and I am disgusted, but like I said, not surprised.

I have went to LE in that area regarding putting a restraining order and filing harassment charges against an ex who tried breaking into my house, sent me threatening messages saying he was going to kill me, and nothing was done. They dismissed me as an overdramatic girl going through a breakup that wanted to 'punish' the guy. Despite having tons of saved evidence and my parents vouching for me, and our landlord that had to change the locks and put reinforcements on our windows, nothing was done. Thankfully, he was sent to rehab out of state before he could harm me or my mother.

I never disrespect LE, as I have a ton of family that are part of it (although in different areas) but the people there don't seem to care much, with the exception of a few. This is not false or here say, I can give records if people want to know that I actively tried to do something about my issue.

This is why it's sadly unsurprising that she was found in her own backyard. They don't do things thoroughly around there, as with most LE the home and around it is the VERY first place they check. Because she seemed troubled and from a bad home, and people said they saw her, I can almost bet they dismissed her completely because of the note. There really is no other excuse.

My mom called me in as a runaway when we were up in Minnesota visiting and she couldn't find me anywhere and my cell was off. She called the police, and first thing they did was look through the house for indicators of anything beside what was reported and around it. I was found in my bed sleeping with my phone that had died :) I feel if this had been done ASAP, we would have known... I'm just so, so sad.

I'm so, so sickened by this story, and the fact that I had not even heard of it mentioned when I lived there. I would have been out there helping, but there wasn't even anything organized.

Dearest Cheyenne, I am so sorry it took justice this long to catch up to what happened to your beautiful soul. We all will keep you in our thoughts, forever. This shouldn't happen to anyone, let alone in their own home -- a place where someone should feel safe no matter what.

MOO, of course.

Welcome to WS, essjay!

:welcome:

As a former local, I do not disagree with your assessment of both LE and the media in that area.

However, I do give credit to Chief O'Connell for finally calling in help (CIRT). Better late than never and more than I have seen in some other cases, sadly.

@liltexans: I'm glad you noticed that as an issue too. I'm so glad they did call in for new people though, or I have a bad feeling this wouldn't have been solved until someone wanted to build there or something.

It just... It really bothers me that I think this something that LE and media could have helped out a lot more with, until they found it as something more. This poor, poor girl is all I can say. I wish I would have known about this when I still lived there. I would have been handing out flyers. We had them up for the Evansdale cousins at my work, but since no one knew about Chyenne we didn't have them up for her. I can't help but to wish someone would have found it important enough back then, so I could have done something for her, even if help was no longer a real option.

This weighs heavily on my heart. I just want her to know that she was cared about deeply, by people who haven't met her. I'm sad the only reason I know her name is because of this. I don't want her to have left this earth thinking she was invisible.

I wish we had this much attention when she first went missing. I have read the last two pages and I am glad you are all concerned about this. A lot of you are guessing at things and that it is not the way it really is. There wasn't a lot of push from the family to even look for her. There were groups that wanted to form search parties that weekend she went missing but was told NO! If someone from my family disappears I am going to do everything in my power and pull every favor from everyone I know to fix the problem. I know everyone handles things in their own way but help was there and wasn't used. I am just glad that the FBI had gotten some money(grant) to open cold cases up and they decided to choose this one, otherwise we might have never known.

p.s. This is my last post on here. I am over come at times with emotions and I am going to stay away. Met some wonderful people on here and thank you for your help in trying to find her. I will miss her smile and talking to her everyday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back