IL IL - Debbie Fijan, 10, DuPage County, 11 Feb 1966 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no tip too small. If in retrospect something seems off, or suspicious make that call to the Sheriff's office. It is their job, not ours, to vet information and tips. Let the detectives weigh out the information.

Someone knows what happened to Debbie. It is not too late to bring her family the answers they've been waiting for, nor is it too late to bring Debbie the justice she deserves.

These are very dedicated detectives working on this case. I am certain they will fully investigate each and every tip. They can't investigate tips they are unaware of, so do the right thing and make the call.

Justice for Debbie.

If you have any information that may assist police with this case, please contact the DuPage County Sheriff’s office at 630-407-2400 and ask for the Cold Case Unit.

http://www.dupagesheriff.org/unsolved%20murders.htm

Hi, Understandably I don't check this sight very often so I am sorry for the delay in writing you back answers to your questions. One of my sisters, who is older, will join this site and answer questions too.

The man who attacked me used words like,"I'm gonna git you girl if you tell." Emphasis on the g in "git and girl." More like a Kentucky or southern drawl that was gutteral and rough, thick and southern. He was unshaven, with greasy dirty blonde hair, I think he had blue eyes or light green eyes, he was a horseman with rough hands from handling the ropes and he wore a western brown plaid cotton shirt with pearl buttons. His face was very weathered. My father said he was younger than he was at the time and my father was about 40, so mid thirties is our guess. I have been in contact with the son of the attorney who "Handled" the situation after the attack because my parents did not file a police report. He said the race horse industry was very currupt and evil and filled with transients who "worked" the circut. I remember my attacker smelled like stale cigerettes, horses and alchohol and he swore and used very foul language.

I never went to Fair Oaks Farm. We purchased a retired racehorse from a Mr. Mountjoy who was the breeder at Fair Oaks Farm. She was a American saddlebred horse and her colt had a white star on her face. I've asked my sister to write you about where Fair Oaks farm was located because she went there on more than one occasion. My father went there after my attack and had a very angry conversation at Fair Oaks, two of my siblings were in the car waiting outside Mr. Mountjoy's trailer as my father went into confront someone there.

Mr. Mountjoy drove a large white car and the hired hand drove a tan El Cameno which he used to deliver the feed for the horse and eventually the colt it had. I believe we used the same vet for our farm as they did on Fair Oaks Farm. I think he raced horses because I remember him coming over to our farm with a horse attatched to a racing rig.

My father was a doctor and he helped start the Wheaton medical clinic. His name is Dr. David E Norbeck. He did not know the teacher or his family to my knowledge. My father tried to get the detectives investigating Debbie's murder to look at the man who hurt me because as a doctor he thought what was done to me would fit medically with the man who killed Debbie. Not that I've ever heard that Debbie was sexually assalted, but that the man was violent with children. He and my mother thought that to have 2 young girls so brutally attacked in such a short distance was noteworthy. Dad said the detectives at the time were not interested because they thought they had their man in the teacher.

Our pet goat was strangled and hung out the tack room window on a rope after I survived the attack. My father told me the man was really sick. Sadly, my father has dementia and he can not recall the man's name who attacked me. I also remember the horse dying a very painful death and we think the colt died prematurely as well. I wonder if the man poisoned the horse and the colt? I have a memory that my attacker came back to the houseand my mother called the sherif. He searched the property and said," The man was no longer on the premises."

I have no idea how my father knew who attacked me. I think the man was long gone when Dad found me in the barn. Maybe I told them, but from what I can understand I had difficulty talking because I was so traumatized. I missed the rest of the school year.

I still find it uncomfortable to talk about this because it was such a violent attack. But, if any of this would lead to solving Debbie's murder, then it would be worth it. Let me know if any of you have any more questions for me. My parents did not want my name in the Chicago tribune and that is why they didn't file a report. In those days this was something people never talked about. The psychologist thought I would not remember the attack, so we never talked about it until I began to experience PTS episodes a few years ago and my neurologists urged me to deal with the memories to find closure and healing.

Yes, I do remember the Old North Pancake House and we often went there as well. My siblings also use to ride up and down the road infront of our house on thier bikes. We use to keep our doors unlocked and my siblings and I ran around the farm with little fear, until my attack occurred. My parents never told them what happened to me, but they lived a more protective life.

I hope someone finds this helpful,
God bless ,
KNS

Hi, I am one of KNS's older sisters. She asked me to join to help answer any questions that may arise. I have followed the posts for Debbie's case for the last few years. I did not have the privilege of knowing Debbie, because we attended a school in Wheaton, but her murder affected the lives of all of us that lived in that area. I have thought of what happened often over the years and have prayed for Debbie's family. I remember feeling so sad and anxious about it. I too, pray that the case will be solved soon and that Debbie's family will have some closure.

We certainly don't know if what happened to KNS has any bearing on Debbie's case but it is worth sharing, knowing that any little bit of information may help.

I did go to Fair Oaks Farm at least two times. It was located on part of the Slepicka property on the map that scooby2057 linked. The property had been a horse farm and I remember beautiful, old, large barns on the property. I don't remember though if there were many horses stabled there and wonder if any one else who lived in the area would remember.

Welcome to WS, ktoolz. Thank you for joining us and thank you for the info on the location of Fair Oaks Farm.

I did a quick look, and here is what I found regarding the Slepicka property:

http://www.csparks.org/index.php/parks-facilities/slepicka-park/

Based on the above Carol Stream parks info and the map scooby2057 posted, it looks like the Slepicka home was probably on Lies and the FOF (fair oaks farm) was on Fair Oaks.

I will dig into this more when it is not so late.

Cubby,
Here is a link to an old Wayne Township map that I found online; it shows the KNS property(presuming her middle name is her maiden name) and it shows F.O. Slepicka(Fair Oaks??) just North of them and on the east side of Fair Oaks rd. JS property is kiddie corner from that.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/273985/Wayne+T40N+R9E/DuPage+County+1968/Illinois/

I was thinking the same thing now that Ktoolz confirmed Fair Oaks Farm was located somewhere on the Slepicka property. And yes, you are right the FOF would be kiddie corner from the LS family property. Newspaper archives mention the FOF dating back to the late 30's early 40's. And according to a 1951 map of the same area of Wayne Township, the Kleine farm Kiddie Corner of the Slepicka farm was in LS's maternal family name at the time.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/273865/Wayne+T40N+R9E/DuPage+County+1951/Illinois/

It would be interesting to know what the LS family knew of the FOF and if they knew of any concerns about a farm hand with children in the area.

A farm hand could have come from anywhere, so I think we should start with our search for children who may have been assaulted by a farm hand in this area and spread outward. What crimes may have been commited by a person who matches the description given by KNS and what kind of talk might have been floating around in the horse racing world at that time and perhaps earlier with regards to inappropriate behavior around children?

Sleuth away! Let's see what else we can find which might assist in solving Debbie's case.

Adding some notes. The Slepicka family sold the last of their land in 2006 to the Carol Stream Park District. According to the following (pay to view after 1 free read) article, the Slepicka family moved to this site in 1941 from Oak Park, IL (which borders Chicago).

http://newspaperarchive.com/daily-herald/2006-11-16/page-164/

From what I have read, iirc, the Fair Oaks farm predates the Slepicka family moving to this location at the SE corner of Fair Oaks and Lies. At least the owners interest in race horses predates the Slepicka family move.

I wonder if they recall hearing anything about a farm hand for the FOF acting inappropriately around children.

Still more digging to do.

http://www.artbycrane.com/horsearticles/valleyviewsupreme.html

According to the above article, W.P. Rogovsky, a Polish immigrant and tailor with an interest in horses built FOF beginning in the early 1930's. The article also mentioned Rogovsky passed away in 1957.

The rest of the article is really about the lineage and success of the horses....

I'd like to know what became of the ownership and who ran FOF after Mr. Rogovsky passed away.

It would also be very interesting if the Slepicka family joined us here with their recollections of the FOF and their thoughts on Debbie's murder.

...and I am still praying for justice for Debbie. :praying: :rose:

Answering my own question. :blushing:

It appears the Withold P. Rogovsky property was just south of the Slepicka property in 1951. http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/273865/Wayne+T40N+R9E/DuPage+County+1951/Illinois/

Sometime between 1951 and 1968 the Rogovsky property was sold and split between the Slepicka family and the Kammes family.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/273985/Wayne+T40N+R9E/DuPage+County+1968/Illinois/

And an additional 20 acre parcel in an odd spot of the center of the 3 (Rogovsky, Slepicka, and Kammes) was owned by a 4th party.

The Kammes family is also still around. Big name in Real Estate in the area... Another family in the immediate area of where Debbie was found. I wonder if they heard anything back then regarding Debbie's murder.

Eventually someone will come forward with the information which will put the pieces of the puzzle and bring Debbie the justice she deserves.

I'll try to search news archives this weekend for farm hands that made the news for nefarious reasons in the 60s.

Hi, Understandably I don't check this sight very often so I am sorry for the delay in writing you back answers to your questions. One of my sisters, who is older, will join this site and answer questions too.

The man who attacked me used words like,"I'm gonna git you girl if you tell." Emphasis on the g in "git and girl." More like a Kentucky or southern drawl that was gutteral and rough, thick and southern. He was unshaven, with greasy dirty blonde hair, I think he had blue eyes or light green eyes, he was a horseman with rough hands from handling the ropes and he wore a western brown plaid cotton shirt with pearl buttons. His face was very weathered. My father said he was younger than he was at the time and my father was about 40, so mid thirties is our guess. I have been in contact with the son of the attorney who "Handled" the situation after the attack because my parents did not file a police report. He said the race horse industry was very currupt and evil and filled with transients who "worked" the circut. I remember my attacker smelled like stale cigerettes, horses and alchohol and he swore and used very foul language.

I never went to Fair Oaks Farm. We purchased a retired racehorse from a Mr. Mountjoy who was the breeder at Fair Oaks Farm. She was a American saddlebred horse and her colt had a white star on her face. I've asked my sister to write you about where Fair Oaks farm was located because she went there on more than one occasion. My father went there after my attack and had a very angry conversation at Fair Oaks, two of my siblings were in the car waiting outside Mr. Mountjoy's trailer as my father went into confront someone there.

Mr. Mountjoy drove a large white car and the hired hand drove a tan El Cameno which he used to deliver the feed for the horse and eventually the colt it had. I believe we used the same vet for our farm as they did on Fair Oaks Farm. I think he raced horses because I remember him coming over to our farm with a horse attatched to a racing rig.

My father was a doctor and he helped start the Wheaton medical clinic. His name is Dr. David E Norbeck. He did not know the teacher or his family to my knowledge. My father tried to get the detectives investigating Debbie's murder to look at the man who hurt me because as a doctor he thought what was done to me would fit medically with the man who killed Debbie. Not that I've ever heard that Debbie was sexually assalted, but that the man was violent with children. He and my mother thought that to have 2 young girls so brutally attacked in such a short distance was noteworthy. Dad said the detectives at the time were not interested because they thought they had their man in the teacher.

Our pet goat was strangled and hung out the tack room window on a rope after I survived the attack. My father told me the man was really sick. Sadly, my father has dementia and he can not recall the man's name who attacked me. I also remember the horse dying a very painful death and we think the colt died prematurely as well. I wonder if the man poisoned the horse and the colt? I have a memory that my attacker came back to the houseand my mother called the sherif. He searched the property and said," The man was no longer on the premises."

I have no idea how my father knew who attacked me. I think the man was long gone when Dad found me in the barn. Maybe I told them, but from what I can understand I had difficulty talking because I was so traumatized. I missed the rest of the school year.

I still find it uncomfortable to talk about this because it was such a violent attack. But, if any of this would lead to solving Debbie's murder, then it would be worth it. Let me know if any of you have any more questions for me. My parents did not want my name in the Chicago tribune and that is why they didn't file a report. In those days this was something people never talked about. The psychologist thought I would not remember the attack, so we never talked about it until I began to experience PTS episodes a few years ago and my neurologists urged me to deal with the memories to find closure and healing.

Yes, I do remember the Old North Pancake House and we often went there as well. My siblings also use to ride up and down the road infront of our house on thier bikes. We use to keep our doors unlocked and my siblings and I ran around the farm with little fear, until my attack occurred. My parents never told them what happened to me, but they lived a more protective life.

I hope someone finds this helpful,
God bless ,
KNS

God bless you for sharing your story here. I hope if it was the same man, he will be caught and punished.

A guilty verdict over in DeKalb County.

Former neighbor guilty of killing girl, 7, in 1957

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...lling-girl-7-in-1957-20120914,0,2995426.story

Come On, DuPage - formal charges and the headline's about Debbie's case next!

All those perps in cold cases not yet charged, time to :panic: Time does not mean one is scott free and they should be comfortable they got away with it. There is NO statute of limitations on murder. DeKalb reminded everyone of just that and put Northern IL back on the map with regards to cold cases. I want to see DuPage next! :rocker:

Justice for Debbie! :candle: :jail:

This surprised me:

After his discharge in the early 1960s, he briefly returned to town before departing again, eventually settling in Washington state. He changed his name to Jack McCullough and worked as a police officer, though his law enforcement career ended in the 1980s when he was accused of sexually abusing a teenage runaway whom McCullough and his girlfriend had taken in. He eventually pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor in the case.

Back in Sycamore, the Ridulph case languished until 2010, when a former girlfriend of McCullough's came forward and cast doubt on his alibi. Police re-interviewed Chapman, who was shown a photo lineup and picked out an old picture of McCullough. The young man in the photo, she told police, was "Johnny."

In July 2011, police arrested McCullough.

As part of the re-opened investigation, police interviewed one of McCullough's sisters, who reported that McCullough and two other men sexually assaulted her in 1962 in Sycamore when she was 14. He was charged with that crime, too, in 2011, but was acquitted in April by Judge Robbin Stuckert.

My God, what a sicko this guy is!

Today marks the 47th anniversary of Debbie's unsolved murder.

We will continue to seek answers until the person or persons responsible are brought to justice and held responsible to the fullest extent of the law.

Praying this is the year Debbie's case is solved. No stone left unturned.

:rose: Debbie Fijan, Always in our hearts, Never Forgotten. :rose:

I'm thinking of and praying for Debbie's family today. I hope they know they are not alone and many of us who never had the pleasure of meeting Debbie in this life are and will continue to seek answers and justice.

I would "echo" the same sentiments expressed by Cubby. Having been a classmate and friend of Debbie's at Benjamin for a short time, I have been unable to stop thinking about Debbie and her family today. I have been feeling a great deal of sadness, but probably more anger that this horrific murder has gone unsolved for 47 years. Someone knows something, and I sincerely don't believe that what happened to Debbie, and what happened to KNS is just a coincidence. I also think, unfortunately, that Debbie knew something.

On a "lighter" side, I wish today that I could still buy the Hostess products. Debbie and I would eat lunch together in the school gymnasium a few times a week. I always liked getting a Hostess fruit pie in my lunch (very healthy, HA!), and it was fun to see what each of us had for a "treat" to share. I will continue to pray for Debbie's family.

As many of you know that have followed this, the Klein's had been in Wayne Township/DuPage Cnty. for many years before Debbie was murdered. Most likely, they had a great deal of "influence", and reputation to protect. Does anyone know if the 90 acres that JS owned was given to him by his father-in-law, did JS purchase it, was it leased (although I don't know if farm land was leased back then)? JS posted a $50K property bond for the release of LS from jail.

If I recall, there were a few Klein's that served as highway commissioner in Wayne Township before JS. I would suspect there were some "perks and benefits" that went with this job. I would also suspect/speculate that the last fishing trip that JS went on, to Canada with a friend & heavy equipment operator salesperson, was paid by the salesperson's company. This is the same trip where JS drowned. JS had been delivering (selling?) eggs to the local jail. Is it possible that JS knew some of the "inmates" at the jail, that had "connections" on the outside?

Debbie knew or saw something that LS did, or had been doing; and I still believe that she was prepared to report this to the school principal, her parents, possibly even the police. LS needed to protect his family, but more importantly, the Klein's longstanding reputation in the community. How did LS get his teaching job at Benjamin? Was there a school board back then? Who was on the board? Again, it's not "what you know, but who you know". Judge Fitzgerald was removed from the initial "grand jury" because he signed the search warrant. Judge Fitzgerald's son became a priest in May - 1964, and then a Bishop. He is no longer living. I believe he was close in age to LS. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than FYI, which many of you probably know already (?). Any chance the Bishop may have known something else about LS from their youthful days? Could the Klein's have been "better connected" to the new judge (MJ)? All these comments/questions are probably a result of watching too many CSI re-runs (sorry).

And then, this terrible incident with KNS - approx. 14 months after Debbie was murdered. Does anyone out there think that this could have been done as a "diversion", to dismiss any thoughts that LS was guilty; even if it was 14 months after Debbie's death? As mentioned above, JS delivered eggs to the jail. Connections made during that time, that may/could have been involved somehow with KNS? I think JS had already been elected for a second time (?) before his fishing trip to Canada. I realize that most, if not all of my post is speculation. Bottom line, why did LS leave the area if he wasn't guilty. Something with this is so terribly wrong, and there are days I can't stop thinking about this. I will continue to pray for Debbie and her family.

If I recall, JS drowned in May

I'd have to go back and look at the dates, but was JS still living when KNS was attacked? Or was the attack a month prior to the drowning accident?

IIRC, the JS farm was previously owned by the Klein family. I seem to recall seeing the name Klein on that particular parcel on an older plat. (link to historical plat maps upthread.)

Here's something I don't understand. I've given a lot of thought to why LS would not give LE a straight answer as to his route home the evening Debbie was murdered. Initially, I thought perhaps it was because he had lied about the *advertiser censored* magazines/photo's telling his wife he found them on the street and feared if he gave his route home, his lie could have been proven untrue by someone having information there were no magazines found laying in the road.

Shortly after, he fessed up the magazines/photo's belonged to him and he had been viewing the material in the school. Returning to the school the evening of Debbie's disappearance to burn his *advertiser censored* material.

He fessed up to the *advertiser censored* belonging to him, so clearly the gig was up on finding the *advertiser censored* on the street. Why then did he still refuse to give LE an accurate route for his drive home the evening of Debbie's disappearance?

Here it is, in 1951 the Kleine family owned the property which was later owned by JS, LS's father. Including property on the east side of Fair Oaks Rd, which is the corner where Debbie was found. IDK if Debbie was found on the north or south side of Lies, but the Schofield's owned the property on the North corner.

I assume it was owned, because I don't believe lessee's would be listed on a plat map.

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/273865/Wayne+T40N+R9E/DuPage+County+1951/Illinois/

I'm seeing two different spellings of Klein; Klein and Kleine. Not sure if members of the family spelled them two different ways, or one is a typo. Anyhoo, I have no reason to believe they are not the same Klein family.

I would "echo" the same sentiments expressed by Cubby. Having been a classmate and friend of Debbie's at Benjamin for a short time, I have been unable to stop thinking about Debbie and her family today. I have been feeling a great deal of sadness, but probably more anger that this horrific murder has gone unsolved for 47 years. Someone knows something, and I sincerely don't believe that what happened to Debbie, and what happened to KNS is just a coincidence. I also think, unfortunately, that Debbie knew something.

On a "lighter" side, I wish today that I could still buy the Hostess products. Debbie and I would eat lunch together in the school gymnasium a few times a week. I always liked getting a Hostess fruit pie in my lunch (very healthy, HA!), and it was fun to see what each of us had for a "treat" to share. I will continue to pray for Debbie's family.

Kind of OT. The 7-11 brand of apple and cherry pies are pretty good. Though, the Hostess as it was when it went BK, was not the Hostess it was in the 60's and 70's. I recommend the 7-11 brand if you have a 7-11 nearby. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734