Identified! IL - DuPage Co., Boy, 3-5, found in laundry bag, Oct'05 - Atzel Olmedo

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I spoke with Mark Edwalds at DuPage County Tuesday asking about a follow up on the possible match for Sylvia Guiboche being this boys mother. He said he did not think it was a possibility, but other detectives are working on it. So while it doesn't sound like she has been officially ruled out, they possibly have other more promising leads on id'ng this young boy.

Hoping he is id'd soon. It will be 5 years this October that this child is unidentified.

Forgot to add, when I spoke with Mark Edwalds I politely voiced my frustration that DuPage Johnny and the Herrick Lake UID were not listed at NamUs. He told me he would pass along the info on the site to those responsible for that area of investigating and agreed NamUs would be an excellent tool for DuPage to utilize. Hopefully we will see DuPage Johnny and the Herricks Lake UID listed at NamUs soon.

5 years later, boy's death haunts those who got to know him

Authorities still do not know who youth is or what happened to him

As Ted Bruder walks his dogs each day, he can't help but remember the little boy without a name.

Sometimes, it's the rustle of leaves underfoot, or one of the dogs finding and sniffing a bag left on the grounds of whatever forest preserve they are in that day.

Something will trigger memories of the overcast and chilly afternoon of Oct. 8, 2005, when Bruder and his white shepherd stumbled upon the body of a young child, stuffed in a blue canvas laundry bag and abandoned in a Naperville Township field.

full article at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-johnny-doe-1004-20101003,0,1871729,full.story

Long article but not much new news. Nothing new from the detectives handling the case in the article. (Actually the article states they declined to comment.) Some comments from the man who found the boy, the priest who said the eulogy......

DuPage County is still not utilizing Namus. :( :banghead:
This child is still not in NamUs nor is the other john doe found at herricks lake in NamUs.

The 5 year anniversary is Oct 8. I so hoped this little guy would not still be unnamed five years later...... Continued prayers his name is found.

snippet from article linked below.

His name was Atcel

Although never publicized, the teen's grim revelations and fears about her brother led to a crucial break in one of the Chicago area's most haunting mysteries: determining the identity of a young boy whose badly decomposed body was found stuffed in a laundry bag Oct. 8, 2005 in DuPage County.

The dead child's name is Atcel, according to records and sources close to the investigation. He was almost 3 years old.

DuPage Sheriff John Zaruba has declined to comment publicly or discuss his reluctance to reveal the boy's identity, which was confirmed more than two years ago through a DNA match with one of the boy's five siblings, sources said. When the five-year anniversary of the discovery passed in October, and the Tribune wrote a front page story about it, authorities still did not reveal who the boy was.

Sources said the 36-year-old stepfather fled with the children's mother to the Mexico City area and that it was feared publicizing details about the case would hamper efforts to find them.

But several sources with knowledge of the case said they were answering the Tribune's questions because of their frustration with the lack of progress in the investigation.

The Tribune is not naming the stepfather or the children's mother because prosecutors have not charged them with Atcel's death.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-unidentified-boy-20110218,0,2695146.story?page=1

Confirmed MORE THAN TWO YEARS AGO!

TWO YEARS! TWO YEARS! I am Gobsmacked this childs name has been known for TWO YEARS.

off too look for other articles because the Trib will be archived as a pay to view in a very short time.

I can't find any other articles. Although it does appear the Chicago Tribune learned of this young childs identity through records obtained via the Department of Justice and not DuPage County.

From the above Tribune article:

The teen said her grandmother told her in 2006 that the stepfather put the boy in a bag "and dumped him," according to a U.S. Justice Department document obtained by the Tribune. The document said the teen's mother was also wanted for questioning in the boy'sdeath.

Also from the Trib link above:

The teen said her mother, who was in the country illegally, pressured them not to tell anyone after they were beaten, according to state reports

The stepfather had been arrested more than a dozen times under various identities from 2000 to late 2007, according to court records.

Besides the federal charges, he has an outstanding DuPage County battery warrant from 2000 for a fight outside his apartment. He also was charged with beating up the teen's mother in 2003 and 2006, but prosecutors dropped domestic battery charges in both cases after she failed to show up for court, according to records.

Thank GOD the then 14 yr old spoke up. Shame on whomever left these children in their mother and step fathers care despite the long criminal history.

I'm still a little lost on the info provided that the mother spent much of her time in the far northern US or southern Canada while she was pregnant with Atcel. Surely the other children who are speaking, could have or hopefully shed some light on that.

This is basically the same story as the Chicago Trib article
http://www.wgnradio.com/news/top/ct-met-unidentified-boy-20110218,0,1667253.story?track=rss
I don't know how long they keep their stories online.

WGN is owned by the Chicago Tribune, (or was the Trib I think was sold or filed BK...and may have new owners but 'GN and the Trib are still 'tied together') but thank you.

Hopefully the Sun Times or some other MSM will post this story as well. The Tribune and Daily Herald go to PTV sometimes within weeks.

This paragraph from the October 4, 2010 story in the Chicago Tribune speaks to just how hard investigators can work to try to identify the dead and yet still come up empty-handed.

Authorities tracked the boy's navy blue Faded Glory-brand shirt and pants, finding three Wal-Mart stores where those identical items were purchased together. Two of those purchases, in Mississippi and New Mexico, checked out: One family had donated the outfit to charity, the other had bought it for a child who did not fit the abandoned boy's description. The third purchase was made in Forrest Park, but the buyer paid cash, leaving no trail.

5 years later, boy's death haunts many
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-johnny-doe-10042010,0,4339295,full.story

This paragraph from the October 4, 2010 story in the Chicago Tribune speaks to just how hard investigators can work to try to identify the dead and yet still come up empty-handed.

5 years later, boy's death haunts many
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-johnny-doe-10042010,0,4339295,full.story

He had already been identified when the October 4, 2010 article was written. DuPage County chose not to reveal his identity was already known when the 2010 article was written.

Yes, understood. :) I meant that back when they were in the "attempt to identify" phase, they went to the lengths of digging up countrywide purchase histories for specific WalMart-branded items of clothing that Atcel was wearing, and yet without the information provided by his older sister, they and we may never have known who he was.

Yes, understood. :) I meant that back when they were in the "attempt to identify" phase, they went to the lengths of digging up countrywide purchase histories for specific WalMart-branded items of clothing that Atcel was wearing, and yet without the information provided by his older sister, they and we may never have known who he was.

Agreed. It took a lot of courage for an abused 14 year old to come forward with the information she did. I hope despite her being a minor she will get the $11,000 reward offered by DuPage County. Not yet taken down from the DPCS website.

http://www.co.dupage.il.us/sheriff/reward.htm

So sad and heartbreaking.

Very very sad, especially knowing not only did the step father and mother know, but also a grandmother according to the Trib article. I can't begin to imagine how this young girl felt when told by her grandmother what the stepfather had done.

I just thank God she had the courage to come forward and pray that she and her siblings are now in good hands.

I guess this explains why they weren't in any rush to put him in NAMUS. I wonder if that means the Herrick Lake John Doe has also been identified but not announced?

I guess this explains why they weren't in any rush to put him in NAMUS. I wonder if that means the Herrick Lake John Doe has also been identified but not announced?

Herrick Lake doe is now in NamUs.

Thank God the 14 year old was brave enough to speak up and tell what she knew. I can't imagine the horror she and the other siblings had lived with for so long. Shame on all the adults who knew anything about this poor baby and did nothing.

RIP Atcel, finally we can honor you in our prayers by your real name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanling53
Back