GUILTY IL - Jacob Wheeler, 22, & Jessica Evans, 17, White County, 25 Aug 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't think that a majority of people in this area are supporting Coston just because there were some people in the courtroom who did. "A majority of people in the courtroom" may only be 10-15 people. And remember, the worst details had not been revealed until this morning. I'm guessing some of them will change their minds.

I feel bad for Coston's family...I'm sure they had no idea. This man has young children. He has severely impacted their lives as well. The ripples just go on and on.

I hope you're right. Reading that really pushed me over the edge, I just couldn't wrap my mind around the amount of support he seemed to be getting. Now that I've calmed down a bit, I do feel that people will change their minds once the full extent of his crimes come out. I also understand that if you grow up and live in an area surrounded by much the same people your entire life, it can be very hard when one of them turns out to be a murdering rapist, especially at the beginning of a trial when not many details have been released.

I too feel horribly for his family. I hope his children are not treated any differently because of their fathers crimes.

I have been a long time viewer of this website and have been reading all of the posts related to this case. I am from Wayne County, IL (currently live a little west of there but spent the majority of my life in that area) so this case hits close to home. I am familiar with all of the areas mentioned in this case, from Carmi to the Little Wabash to where Jacob's body was found. However my main reason for posting now are the comments about Coston's charges. Specificaly the one mentioning the use of a weapon during a sexual assault. In the past I worked for law enforcement in Illinois, not as an officer but as support staff, and I have seen this charge before. In the cases I have seen where this charge was brought up, a weapon was used to threaten the victim, not that it was necessarily used DURING the physical act. Just during the event to make the victim comply. It is possible that Coston used the weapon as a threat and ended up shooting Jessica due to a struggle or something else. I am not trying to defend the victim, but I think the comment from Disclosure (a self named news source) that jumped to the conclusion that she was shot while being raped based simply on the language of this charge is not right. Especially for those people that knew the victims. Obviously what that article assumed could have really happened but I hope it did not. I think it would be wise for news agencies to wait until the details are released before guessing why certain charges were brought against Coston.

On a side note, I think everyone here has done a great job of speculating on this case and there have been lots of insightful comments.

Welcome to WS!

And ITA - that site has already posted erroneous info (serious mistakes like stating that Jacob had been found shot PRIOR to him being found and stating that there was no sexual assault) and AFAIC should no longer be considered MSM in this case

those are not minor errors IMO

and then gossiping about what Jacob`s father said to them at the courthouse - it`s supposed to be a news article for crying out loud

they don`t appear to understand the fundamentals of journalism at all

since the sherriff, the prosecutor, and the victim`s dad all know the suspect, I`m thinking that if this goes to trial, a change of venue is an absolute must

Hello,
Although this is my first post I've been reading for a while. I'm from southern Illinois and have close friends that live in Carmi.

I truly wish Il still had the death penalty because this is a textbook case for it.

I was thinking about the Sheriff's actions today, at first I too was offended that he would "comfort" this monster but after considering things I feel differently.

Southern Illinois is composed of small towns - almost everybody either knows you or your family at least enough to speak or wave on the street. I think the Sheriff is utilizing his familiarity to his advantage while he can. We have to remember that this Sheriff and his team got DC to confess and give enough details to find this innocent young man within hours of the initial questioning. If the Sheriff can keep communication open to get even one more detail of the crime to help convict DC I believe he's willing to do what he has to do to get that information.

I have never met any member of the White county Sheriff's department but having lived in this area for decades I've heard lots of gossip. I've only heard honorable things about this guys so I'm going to presume he's working the case and not showing favoritism.

I'm glad to be here and hope to learn from all of you.

Southern Illinois is composed of small towns - almost everybody either knows you or your family at least enough to speak or wave on the street. I think the Sheriff is utilizing his familiarity to his advantage while he can. We have to remember that this Sheriff and his team got DC to confess and give enough details to find this innocent young man within hours of the initial questioning. If the Sheriff can keep communication open to get even one more detail of the crime to help convict DC I believe he's willing to do what he has to do to get that information.

I have never met any member of the White county Sheriff's department but having lived in this area for decades I've heard lots of gossip. I've only heard honorable things about this guys so I'm going to presume he's working the case and not showing favoritism.

WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS!!! :wagon:

These are very good points. I thought LE did an outstanding job in this case, and I doubt this will change now the truth has come out and the perp is in custody, just because he is someone the Sheriff knows.

At least he is not smug and smirking like some perps we have seen...

but, then again, it could be an act.

does anyone think he could have done something like this before... And not been caught?

This is is extreme... It is hard to imagine a guy with traffic violations and poaching record, albeit many, could escalate to this depravity in one night!

Agree :(. Very concerning...and now wondering again if meth was involved and if the women who had been in his presence got that hinky feeling everytime he was around. My immediate thought to his actions reminds me of Richard Rameriz in CA. He didn't care if the woman's mate was around either....just took care of them. Either he has been wearing a mask for a long time or combined elements from the outside took their toll on him. imo

Anyone know if he was employed before this? TIA

Agree :(. Very concerning...and now wondering again if meth was involved and if the women who had been in his presence got that hinky feeling everytime he was around. My immediate thought to his actions reminds me of Richard Rameriz in CA. He didn't care if the woman's mate was around either....just took care of them. Either he has been wearing a mask for a long time or combined elements from the outside took their toll on him. imo

Anyone know if he was employed before this? TIA

BBM
I believe it was already stated earlier that there weren't drugs in his system. I'm not sure why everybody seems to think that all serious crime these days is because of meth use; these things were happening long before meth ever existed. I've seen alcohol completely change quiet, easy-going, even-tempered people into raging maniacs. It isn't like some drugs which cause the thoughts/feelings/behaviors in many cases, it's a combination of brain damage from long term use, depression and depressed inhibitions that would usually prevent that behavior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't the first time he'd assaulted a girl (or at least tried to), and he possibly fantasized about the whole things many times - but most likely never thought he'd ever act on it.
MOO

BBM
I believe it was already stated earlier that there weren't drugs in his system. I'm not sure why everybody seems to think that all serious crime these days is because of meth use; these things were happening long before meth ever existed. I've seen alcohol completely change quiet, easy-going, even-tempered people into raging maniacs. It isn't like some drugs which cause the thoughts/feelings/behaviors in many cases, it's a combination of brain damage from long term use, depression and depressed inhibitions that would usually prevent that behavior. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this wasn't the first time he'd assaulted a girl (or at least tried to), and he possibly fantasized about the whole things many times - but most likely never thought he'd ever act on it.
MOO

LE stated no meth labs involved, but if you can link stating no meth in his system I'd appreciate it, because I've missed it. Agree, alcohol itself, will bring out those hidden inhibitions especially and after long use will change a person entirely, but there may be a drug factor combined. Most people doing drugs will be drinking along with it as a chaser. Since he has no violent criminal past, I'd just like to rule it out since meth is such a viscious drug that mocks pure insanity.:moo:

***Just a side question, I've noticed it's been mentioned about a license plate, but have not seen it mentioned in MSM/Disclosure. Is this presumed or was the plate found too? I could understand the presumption because iirc IL has plates on both the front and back. TIA

LE stated no meth labs involved, but if you can link stating no meth in his system I'd appreciate it, because I've missed it. Agree, alcohol itself, will bring out those hidden inhibitions especially and after long use will change a person entirely, but there may be a drug factor combined. Most people doing drugs will be drinking along with it as a chaser. Since he has no violent criminal past, I'd just like to rule it out since meth is such a viscious drug that mocks pure insanity.:moo:

***Just a side question, I've noticed it's been mentioned about a license plate, but have not seen it mentioned in MSM/Disclosure. Is this presumed or was the plate found too? I could understand the presumption because iirc IL has plates on both the front and back. TIA

BBM

That's ok, I missed it too. I have no idea who I had him confused with, but by the time he was arrested any drugs would have most likely been out of his system. :blushing: I apologize for that statement, but I stand by the rest of it. I also don't remember reading anywhere that meth was involved, so I guess we'll both keep believing what we do unless/until someone official tells us otherwise.

BBM

That's ok, I missed it too. I have no idea who I had him confused with, but by the time he was arrested any drugs would have most likely been out of his system. :blushing: I apologize for that statement, but I stand by the rest of it. I also don't remember reading anywhere that meth was involved, so I guess we'll both keep believing what we do unless/until someone official tells us otherwise.

LE may not have even tested him...or asked.... so we may never know. Below the Disclosure article, in the comments, there is an argument of his meth involvement and the reporter posted in response that the DA had been asked and responded to the question of a lab or cooker, stating "Absolutely not.", but he further clarifies that he didn't ask or the DA didn't offer whether or not Coston was partaking in it's use.

In the big picture of the their deaths, I guess it really doesn't matter; but if true, it should be added to the stats of it's wrath.

Welcome!

I think you're right about the sheriff. Law enforcement has to spend a lot of time with these guys. I assume Coston is being held at the White County Jail? That means the officers there act like prison guards as well. They probably do end up having somewhat of a relationship with these criminals, as odd as that may sound.

We've had our share of corrupt sheriff's in Southern Illinois, but Meier is not one of them.

Welcome to WS!

And ITA - that site has already posted erroneous info (serious mistakes like stating that Jacob had been found shot PRIOR to him being found and stating that there was no sexual assault) and AFAIC should no longer be considered MSM in this case

those are not minor errors IMO

and then gossiping about what Jacob`s father said to them at the courthouse - it`s supposed to be a news article for crying out loud

they don`t appear to understand the fundamentals of journalism at all

Though I have mixed feelings about Disclosure as a whole, and I do agree that sometimes they flavor the news with too much of their own opinions, I will continue to use them as a source for this story. They get the info first, and they have been in direct contact with local LE.

The report of Jacob Wheeler being shot was wrong, but they quickly corrected it. The autopsy report- that is the report they were given. ALL the news outlets were told that Jessi sustain no other injury. We don't know why yet, but LE wanted to keep the sexual assault under wraps.
And I don't see that it was wrong to report what Jacob's father said. I'm sure he knew they were the press but he spoke freely anyway. He may have made that statement to all the reporters present.

Welcome!

I think you're right about the sheriff. Law enforcement has to spend a lot of time with these guys. I assume Coston is being held at the White County Jail? That means the officers there act like prison guards as well. They probably do end up having somewhat of a relationship with these criminals, as odd as that may sound.

We've had our share of corrupt sheriff's in Southern Illinois, but Meier is not one of them.

88keys - I agree that there is a sort of relationship between law enforcement and some criminals due to the fact that they must build rapport with the offenders to gain enough trust for a confession.

Again referring to my work experience which involved transcribing interrogation videos and interviews... cops do have to show some sort of commonality and understanding with offenders otherwise they will only see them as enemies. The best detectives seem to make them feel like it is okay to tell the truth and that "the truth will set them free". Obviously that is not true because charges have to be filed but that interaction is what makes it seem like cops are showing sympathy and understanding when most of us would not. I've also had a cop tell me that if they let their emotions rule their actions at work they would not have a job for very long or be a very good cop, so I think that is what we are seeing in White county.

http://www.carmitimes.com/article/20120904/NEWS/120909833

An exhaustive search for the firearm used in the homicides was conducted over this past weekend using specialized equipment in many instances, but failed to find the weapon. It is said to be a small caliber handgun.

Coston reportedly left the Legion late Saturday night and gave his co-worker a ride home before departing for a fishing trip of his own on the Little Wabash River east of Centerville where he allegedly encountered Evans and Wheeler.

Don't think I'm ready to swallow the fishing trip after a night of heavy drinking, but....? He would have zonked within the first 5 minutes of putting his line in unless he had help staying awake. IMO I just think he was curious/nosy who was down there. Why did Jake offer to take him home? How did the fishing trip turn into needing a ride home....and a double murder?

http://www.carmitimes.com/article/20120904/NEWS/120909833

An exhaustive search for the firearm used in the homicides was conducted over this past weekend using specialized equipment in many instances, but failed to find the weapon. It is said to be a small caliber handgun.

I noticed in this article it says Coston was working for an electrical contractor. I have a friend who's husband works for a construction company and he recognized Coston from work. Apparently Coston was working on a project in Mt. Vernon, IL at the same location my friend's husband was working. I was told he was at work all last week and the week before, did not miss a single day until he was arrested. Obviously this is just a second hand account....but does anyone else find that extra scary that he did this then went back to his normal life? work and all? Makes me cringe.

I am imagining that for whatever reason he ended up where Jake and Jessi were, fishing or being nosy, whatever......Jake probably saw how intoxicated he was and offered to drive him home. There would be no logical other reason. Obviously Costons truck was in working order.....maybe Jake unknowingly offended him by taking his keys or something trying to be a good Samaritan. Being in the military makes most people grow up very fast and I'm certain Jake was thinking about all the other drivers on the road. That is the only thing I can think of. I am really anxious to hear the real story, if we ever get it. The only others who could corroborate whatever story Coston tells are no longer capable of relating any events. Makes you wonder if that was a reason, as well.

Don't think I'm ready to swallow the fishing trip after a night of heavy drinking, but....? He would have zonked within the first 5 minutes of putting his line in unless he had help staying awake. IMO I just think he was curious/nosy who was down there. Why did Jake offer to take him home? How did the fishing trip turn into needing a ride home....and a double murder?

I am equally confused. Makes little to no sense.

I noticed in this article it says Coston was working for an electrical contractor. I have a friend who's husband works for a construction company and he recognized Coston from work. Apparently Coston was working on a project in Mt. Vernon, IL at the same location my friend's husband was working. I was told he was at work all last week and the week before, did not miss a single day until he was arrested. Obviously this is just a second hand account....but does anyone else find that extra scary that he did this then went back to his normal life? work and all? Makes me cringe.

My dad works for a local farm service company. He said Coston was on one of the jobs he worked at a few weeks ago, in the Carmi area. Coston is apparently some kind of electrician, or he works for electricians. My dad doesn't really remember him that well, but he was on the job with him (this was before the murders).

I wonder if he acted any different after the murders. The more details we hear, I'm beginning to think he may be a true psychopath. Maybe he has just had everybody fooled for a long time.

Please don't think that a majority of people in this area are supporting Coston just because there were some people in the courtroom who did. "A majority of people in the courtroom" may only be 10-15 people. And remember, the worst details had not been revealed until this morning. I'm guessing some of them will change their minds.

I feel bad for Coston's family...I'm sure they had no idea. This man has young children. He has severely impacted their lives as well. The ripples just go on and on.

His children will certainly have a rough road ahead...

Being recognized as a child of a cold-blooded killer will be an albatross around their necks for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemc