Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Despite Cefolia being a missing person, the house was able to go under contract and make it to a closing and sell because in May 2018, Cefolia gave power of attorney for property to a relative, Rudy Piedra. A document authorizing Piedra with those powers was recorded with DuPage County at the same time as the Nov. 5 sale.

Cefolia paid $560,000 for the house in 2016. In June 2020 — two months before he went missing — Cefolia listed the house for $589,900. He then reduced his asking price to $574,900 in July and then to $549,900 on Aug. 3. The house went under contract Aug. 5, and several days later, he disappeared.

Piedra declined to comment in a text message, saying, “following the wishes of the family, there will be no comments on this matter.”
RSBBM

What are reasons someone would give power of attorney to someone else for their property? Wondering why do that instead of a will??.....except that for a will to kick in, person has to be DECEASED and NOT MISSING.

I'm convinced Jake is alive and well and that's the reason for families silence........

My opinion only.

What are reasons someone would give power of attorney to someone else for their property? Wondering why do that instead of a will??.....except that for a will to kick in, person has to be DECEASED and NOT MISSING.

I'm convinced Jake is alive and well and that's the reason for families silence........

My opinion only.
Please take a look upthread. There's a lot of insightful comments from @Colorado303 about the nature of the POA.

My opinion only.

If one is incapacitated, POAs are quite useful.

Despite Cefolia being a missing person, the house was able to go under contract and make it to a closing and sell because in May 2018, Cefolia gave power of attorney for property to a relative, Rudy Piedra. A document authorizing Piedra with those powers was recorded with DuPage County at the same time as the Nov. 5 sale.

Cefolia paid $560,000 for the house in 2016. In June 2020 — two months before he went missing — Cefolia listed the house for $589,900. He then reduced his asking price to $574,900 in July and then to $549,900 on Aug. 3. The house went under contract Aug. 5, and several days later, he disappeared.

Piedra declined to comment in a text message, saying, “following the wishes of the family, there will be no comments on this matter.”
RSBBM

Unable to sleuth him here makes it difficult to discuss. I guess the important thing is if the family is suspicious at all of this surely they are mentioning those suspicions. I’m sure the POA is giving LE something to look at in his disappearance which is what matters. It is a lot of power to have.

Before I got married I gave POA to a family member to ensure my house was sold (with the money going to a pre-named entity) if something happened to me. Otherwise it would have been a huge legal mess. Perhaps that is all he was thinking of. I imagine in his job he traveled a lot internationally. That always carries its own risks.

Drinking and addiction goes hand in hand with poor problem solving skills, and I say that as a recovering alcoholic myself. God willing I will be sober 9 years next month.
I can say from experience people reach the point of no return without even realizing it. Recovery addiction acceptance is a humbling experience. Recently, with all that's happened in the world, I can honestly say, "I have nothing, but I have everything." I think that's why Jakes case resonates with me. My heart breaks that he hasn't or couldn't reach that point of serenity know that material stuff is just that, material. Cunning, baffling, powerful, addiction sucks.

Snipped and BBM for focus.

Off topic but important, to me:

Cubby, wise and courageous warrior, in reading this thread tonight from the beginning, I came upon your post.
I'm deeply moved by your openness and your compassion. I trust you are now moving towards your tenth year of sobriety. Please know you have my respect and my gratitude for who you are in the world, and also for your insightful sleuthing throughout this thread.

If your plan is to drop out of life in the USA and take up residence off-the-grid or under-the-radar overseas, would you:

1) start your disappearance from your suburban home deep within U.S. borders mere hours before multiple trigger events would alert the world to your MIA status?

or

2) Schedule an extended vacation out of the country and then once safely outside U.S. borders immediately activate your plan to disappear/go off-the-grid / whatever? Giving you 2 weeks or more time where you're not missing from work or missing meetups with your family. No need to smuggle yourself out of the U.S. . No short turn-around btw when you're last visible to when your absence is noticed.

If dude wanted to drop out and live overseas under a different identity, starting his plan the way he did doesn't seem like the best way to go about it. Tell everyone you're taking 2 weeks vacation out of the country and then once outside the country disappear. Doesn't trigger domestic LE right away, or maybe even at all. Overcomes the hurdle of sneaking out of the country undetected. Builds in a delay between when you can start your new life and when anyone at all notices that you've taken off. And if you pick the right part of the world, gives you the ability to cross more porous borders of multiple smaller nations and jurisdictions to further cover your tracks.

Hi, @thesaint, your thoughts on facilitating a disappearance from a former life by initiating it during a scheduled out-of-country vacation make sense.

Perhaps WC even considered such a plan, but was overwhelmed by an urgency to escape and wasn't able to wait until scheduled vacation time.

Events immediately preceding his disappearance could have led to devastating emotional despair, and an inability to think or act in a manner to support his survival, either in a new geographical location, or in this world at all.

- On August 5th, he flew back from San Francisco, where he'd visited his girlfriend.
"The police records show that Cefolia and the girlfriend in San Francisco had recently broken up or were in the process of breaking up."

- Allegedly, WC is the subject of a criminal investigation, and our sleuths have discussed how his disappearance may have been sparked by his fear of potential consequences from the police probe.

We know he was contacted by police on August 6th, "The records also show that Cefolia had contact with police on August 6, two days before he was reported missing. The report includes only a notation about this, and does not include any details about the type of contact."

The next day, on August 7th, a person reportedly matching his description was videoed pumping gas, and he has not been seen since, as far as we know.

Whether WC or his girlfriend ended the relationship, it's reasonable to consider he was hurting. Whether or not he believed he'd eventually be charged with a crime, it's reasonable to consider the investigation alarmed him.

IMO, even if we discount the outlines of several major stressors we're aware he was experiencing – sale of home and below the original purchase price, work-related disruptions due to cutbacks and reportedly an increase in alcohol consumption – the termination of a partner/romantic relationship and being the alleged subject of a criminal investigation may have suddenly become unbearable.

Witness may have seen missing United Airlines exec Jake Cefolia after his last confirmed sighting at gas station

Hi, @thesaint, your thoughts on facilitating a disappearance from a former life by initiating it during a scheduled out-of-country vacation make sense.

Perhaps WC even considered such a plan, but was overwhelmed by an urgency to escape and wasn't able to wait until scheduled vacation time.

Events immediately preceding his disappearance could have led to devastating emotional despair, and an inability to think or act in a manner to support his survival, either in a new geographical location, or in this world at all.

- On August 5th, he flew back from San Francisco, where he'd visited his girlfriend.
"The police records show that Cefolia and the girlfriend in San Francisco had recently broken up or were in the process of breaking up."

- Allegedly, WC is the subject of a criminal investigation, and our sleuths have discussed how his disappearance may have been sparked by his fear of potential consequences from the police probe.

We know he was contacted by police on August 6th, "The records also show that Cefolia had contact with police on August 6, two days before he was reported missing. The report includes only a notation about this, and does not include any details about the type of contact."

The next day, on August 7th, a person reportedly matching his description was videoed pumping gas, and he has not been seen since, as far as we know.

Whether WC or his girlfriend ended the relationship, it's reasonable to consider he was hurting. Whether or not he believed he'd eventually be charged with a crime, it's reasonable to consider the investigation alarmed him.

IMO, even if we discount the outlines of several major stressors we're aware he was experiencing – sale of home and below the original purchase price, work-related disruptions due to cutbacks and reportedly an increase in alcohol consumption – the termination of a partner/romantic relationship and being the alleged subject of a criminal investigation may have suddenly become unbearable.

Witness may have seen missing United Airlines exec Jake Cefolia after his last confirmed sighting at gas station
The only part I will slightly disagree with is whether or not he was hurting because don't forget he did have girlfriend no. 2 as well.

Also, I know you stated the bottom paragraph is your opinion, and rightly so. I wonder what happens if we look at it through a different lens.

What if he was finally thrilled to be able to sell his home after the divorce and pocket whatever cash he could? Although there were work disruptions, they did not affect his job security or salary. He was a valued employee and his financial security was not in stock. His alcohol consumption was someone else's opinion. It had not been noted to have caused a problem at work, or in any other relationships. The only one to make note of that was the ex-wife I believe (possibly the ex-girlfriend too). What if he was happy to finally be divorced because he had suffered through a marriage with a partner with interests unlike his? He was enjoying his freedom and dating multiple women. The subject of a criminal investigation is indeed interesting. What if the so-called criminal investigation is really nothing? or nothing that will stick?

What if he really isn't in hiding in another country? What then? Who to look at then? Why stop at the preserve? Was he even the one to drive there?

Just checking in to see if there's anything new. Positive wishes for his family and hope they get some answers soon. If he has escaped to live somewhere else, I hope he makes contact.

Agreed. But I doubt it. Reading WS and other internet news and crime sites, it’s amazing how many people go missing every year and there is never a body found. Vaporized. How is that possible? Nothing. No clues. No clothes. No jewelry. No videos. I know the world is really big, but seriously? Like this man: in a big city, close to a hiking trail, a nature preserve but not a wilderness area, and nothing. Are most of us so unaware of our surroundings at any given time that we cannot recall if a green car pulled up next to us and parked at a hiking trail? Or a white van at the grocery store? I try to pay attention to my surroundings, if for no other reason than my own safety.

Are most of us so unaware of our surroundings at any given time that we cannot recall if a green car pulled up next to us and parked at a hiking trail? Or a white van at the grocery store? I try to pay attention to my surroundings, if for no other reason than my own safety.

If you read at Websleuths enough, you do start paying attention. :eek:

Great analysis. However, all of these factors lead me to the self harm conclusion rather than him starting a new life, because I have seen how quickly despair can take hold, especially if you add alcohol to that mix.

Are most of us so unaware of our surroundings at any given time that we cannot recall if a green car pulled up next to us and parked at a hiking trail? Or a white van at the grocery store?

Quote RSBM.

Yes. IMO. Have you seen the video that asks you to keep track of how many times a basketball is passed around? Many people miss what else is happening in that video, and that's even while they know to pay close attention while watching it.

RSBBM

1. If I had all power to investigate. I am starting here. I know I can’t sleuth the person named that holds the POA and mention it here. I also know I don’t believe everything I read in print and sometimes have to verify certain details or relationships.

2. If anyone has truly ever binge watched Dateline, you recognize the “money motivator” for murder. Why not follow the money? Figure out if it could be a motivator?

3. Referring back to the article linked, I would be curious to know what exactly was his relationship like with his family? Immediate, extended and ex’s and their families?

4. I really want to know what the note left at his house was about too. That’s just odd. I don’t know who does that anymore. Was this person nearby? If so, why?

ETA— following the wishes of the family??? Who did he owe his allegiance to? Jake or the family? Question everything.

Is this actually a fact? Please add the link to your source.

I took that comment to mean that once someone is dead by suicide, or any means, they aren't capable at that point of concealing their corpse. If we go with suicide, it seems that would indicate that he wasn't thinking as clearly as he normally did. Therefore, he might lack the necessary faculties to plan and commit suicide in a manner and location where his body would not be discovered. JMOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway
Back