Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I took that comment to mean that once someone is dead by suicide, or any means, they aren't capable at that point of concealing their corpse. If we go with suicide, it seems that would indicate that he wasn't thinking as clearly as he normally did. Therefore, he might lack the necessary faculties to plan and commit suicide in a manner and location where his body would not be discovered. JMOO

I thought they were joking, but ICBW.

People aren't always recovered from bodies of water, even when searchers know exactly which to search in, even a lake / pond (doesn't have to be a moving river) can be forever. Or if someone hikes out to a rural area... I haven't taken the time to look at the area near his vehicle, though but... I hope that isn't the kind of thing that happened.

I took that comment to mean that once someone is dead by suicide, or any means, they aren't capable at that point of concealing their corpse. If we go with suicide, it seems that would indicate that he wasn't thinking as clearly as he normally did. Therefore, he might lack the necessary faculties to plan and commit suicide in a manner and location where his body would not be discovered. JMOO

I don't think he intentionally concealed his body, but I have followed way too many cases here at WS and heard from experienced searchers that bodies can be extremely difficult to find in wooded terrain, even if you know where to look.

I don't completely rule out foul play but all indicators from LE don't seem like that is how they are investigating this. Glad the family has a PI to help though, local LE doesn't always have the resources or inclination to dig into transactions, communications, etc., when a simpler explanation seems to be available.

1. If I had all power to investigate. I am starting here. I know I can’t sleuth the person named that holds the POA and mention it here. I also know I don’t believe everything I read in print and sometimes have to verify certain details or relationships.

2. If anyone has truly ever binge watched Dateline, you recognize the “money motivator” for murder. Why not follow the money? Figure out if it could be a motivator?

3. Referring back to the article linked, I would be curious to know what exactly was his relationship like with his family? Immediate, extended and ex’s and their families?

4. I really want to know what the note left at his house was about too. That’s just odd. I don’t know who does that anymore. Was this person nearby? If so, why?

ETA— following the wishes of the family??? Who did he owe his allegiance to? Jake or the family? Question everything.

As to #2 binge watching Dateline, I feel attacked.:D:p

I find myself thinking of Jake from time to time. If we Occam’s Razor it, it seems the most probable answer is death by misadventure/on purpose, right? It’s not uncommon to not find a body for years. I’d like to think he’s just went underground/voluntarily missing. I hope there are answers soon for his family and friends.
ALL IMO JMO

1. If I had all power to investigate. I am starting here. I know I can’t sleuth the person named that holds the POA and mention it here. I also know I don’t believe everything I read in print and sometimes have to verify certain details or relationships.

2. If anyone has truly ever binge watched Dateline, you recognize the “money motivator” for murder. Why not follow the money? Figure out if it could be a motivator?

3. Referring back to the article linked, I would be curious to know what exactly was his relationship like with his family? Immediate, extended and ex’s and their families?

4. I really want to know what the note left at his house was about too. That’s just odd. I don’t know who does that anymore. Was this person nearby? If so, why?

ETA— following the wishes of the family??? Who did he owe his allegiance to? Jake or the family? Question everything.

BBM - the note... I hadn't really thought much about that but your right. Any executive I know or really anyone for that matter has their phone with them all the time. Why find a paper and pen and write a note? Why not send a text? I can't think of the last time someone left a note on my door if they've missed me. It would be a good way to leave something to say see I was here and JC wasn't.

As to #2 binge watching Dateline, I feel attacked.:D:p

I find myself thinking of Jake from time to time. If we Occam’s Razor it, it seems the most probable answer is death by misadventure/on purpose, right? It’s not uncommon to not find a body for years. I’d like to think he’s just went underground/voluntarily missing. I hope there are answers soon for his family and friends.
ALL IMO JMO
I think I just gave a hint as to what I’ve been doing during Covid as well. Lol.

I think I could agree with Occam’s Razor IF we knew he parked his own car at the preserve and was seen walking in to the preserve alone. I may be forgetting a detail but I don’t think we knew that for sure.

Last edited:
I thought they were joking, but ICBW.

Someone up thread posted "People who commit suicide usually aren't around to hide their own body."

Yes, @Betty P, I was joking when I answered with "Is this actually a fact? Please add the link to your source."

It's really not a place to be silly, and I apologize if my silliness cause a muddle, or was offensive in any way.

Someone up thread posted "People who commit suicide usually aren't around to hide their own body."

Yes, @Betty P, I was joking when I answered with "Is this actually a fact? Please add the link to your source."

It's really not a place to be silly, and I apologize if my silliness cause a muddle, or was offensive in any way.

No, I knew you were joking. Sometimes we need a little smile here now and then. It gets pretty grim.;)

Watch: NBC Chicago Docuseries ‘Scene of the Crime'

In the three-part series, "Scene of the Crime," NBC 5's Rob Stafford interviews unexpected witnesses, uncovers new twists and digs up analysis that will have viewers questioning everything they thought they knew about these cases.

[...]

To watch "Scene of the Crime," search for NBC Chicago on your Roku or Apple TV. Download the channel and look for the series near the top.

Episode 1: Missing United Executive Jake Cefolia

A high-powered Chicago airline executive is acting strangely in the days before his Range Rover is found abandoned near the trails where he trained for marathons. Did he run toward a new life or away from trouble in his old one? Follow the twists and turns in the strange case of Jake Cefolia.

Thx rainynights for that Chicago piece. Been following this case from the start and think he is off the grid. He saw his San Francisco girlfriend, his sister in Bloomington Il , and his kids all in the last week of his disappearance. His POA is a relative who took care of selling his house and could have also helped him disappear.

I just wonder about his bankruptcy in Nov 2019. Was he living large, have a gambling of drug addiction ? It’s very odd that he would have to declare bankruptcy as a top airline exec. despite his divorce support.

IMO

Thx rainynights for that Chicago piece. Been following this case from the start and think he is off the grid. He saw his San Francisco girlfriend, his sister in Bloomington Il , and his kids all in the last week of his disappearance. His POA is a relative who took care of selling his house and could have also helped him disappear.

I just wonder about his bankruptcy in Nov 2019. Was he living large, have a gambling of drug addiction ? It’s very odd that he would have to declare bankruptcy as a top airline exec. despite his divorce support.

IMO
Unless it has changed since last year, there was no bankruptcy. That was misinformation from a FB group (see message #521).

Watch: NBC Chicago Docuseries ‘Scene of the Crime'

In the three-part series, "Scene of the Crime," NBC 5's Rob Stafford interviews unexpected witnesses, uncovers new twists and digs up analysis that will have viewers questioning everything they thought they knew about these cases.

[...]

To watch "Scene of the Crime," search for NBC Chicago on your Roku or Apple TV. Download the channel and look for the series near the top.

Episode 1: Missing United Executive Jake Cefolia

A high-powered Chicago airline executive is acting strangely in the days before his Range Rover is found abandoned near the trails where he trained for marathons. Did he run toward a new life or away from trouble in his old one? Follow the twists and turns in the strange case of Jake Cefolia.
I’m glad someone is following up on this story. Unfortunately I don’t get Apple or use Roku. Can someone who does summarize any new info given on the show?

Thanks!

Quick question for those who walk or hike alone regularly? Do you carry a self defense and/or emergency preparedness kit of any kind?

TIA
Kit? No. I do carry a keychain that looks like a cat that goes over your fingers with very sharp "ears" which will collect DNA of anyone that gets stabbed with it

Quick question for those who walk or hike alone regularly? Do you carry a self defense and/or emergency preparedness kit of any kind?

TIA
I hike a lot in parks and nature preserves near urban areas somewhat like where Jake disappeared. My first priority is bringing enough water. I always have a cell phone, and often wear orange. Depending on the weather, I might bring extra clothing or rain gear. I don't generally hike alone in mountains or wilderness areas, but I definitely prepare more for those when I go.

TIA
I hike alone frequently, about four times a week, weather/work schedule depending. I conceal carry & always have my knife. In my backpack I have a kit with essentials, first aid as well as some emergency items.
I am guilty of not telling people where I'm going or that I'm going at all. I also don't really have much of a footprint on social media, so no snapmap to follow, etc. I do take scenic photos to post but it's typically after I'm off trail & back into a service area.

Kit? No. I do carry a keychain that looks like a cat that goes over your fingers with very sharp "ears" which will collect DNA of anyone that gets stabbed with it
I have one of those too. Just a note, remove it from your keychain before flying—TSA will confiscate it. And Amazon doesn’t sell them anymore. Just kits w/molds so you can make one yourself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzee2741
Back