Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Updated Crime Online article which contains more information about his car and when/where they found it:

Search for missing United Airlines executive continues after police confirm Jake Cefolia was being investigated before his disappearance
And very weird statement it contains as well...BBM

“Our agency has been aware of the ongoing investigation lead by Elmhurst Police Department,” Pederson wrote in an email on Tuesday. “With that said we treated our search efforts as if [Cefolia] was in the preserve both for his safety and for the sake of his family and friends. We searched the area very heavily, but again we do not know if indeed he is in the preserve.”

Back on page two we noted his house was pending sale on August 5, and family had absolutely no posts about him missing. MOO, they’ve known more from the beginning.
His home in Elmhurst was listed for sale 64 days ago and sale was pending on August 5, 2020. He went missing the following day. (you can find the address through whitepages, and then type it in google to get the Redfin and Zillow listings).

This is an interesting statement. Makes me feel like they suspect self harm.

United Airlines Executive Missing For Over A Week | One Mile at a Time

United Airlines issued the following statement regarding this situation:

“Our friend and colleague, Jake Cefolia, SVP of Worldwide Sales, was last seen Thursday evening, August 6th. We’re concerned about his well-being and have been in touch with Jake’s family over the last couple of days to offer them our support. At the request of the family, we won’t be releasing any additional details at this time.

We have also been in touch with law enforcement and expressed our desire to do everything we can to help them as they lead the effort to find Jake. If you have any information that could be helpful in locating Jake, please contact the Elmhurst Police Department at (630) 530-3050.”

————

Jumping off from Jake’s Facebook and Instagram I do not see one missing post from family.

Snipped
Surveillance footage of Cefolia at a gas station was recorded after he disappeared but before his car was found Aug. 8,

Snip

DuPage County records show that Cefolia bought a house on Elmhurst's Rex Boulevard in 2016. He put the house up for sale in June and has reduced the price twice since then, the last time just two days before he was said to have gone missing, according to the Realtors.com website. The house is going for $549,900, less than the $560,000 sales price in 2016.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
We use social media to try to determine the facts of the case as best we can, not to critique the Admins, Mods or members of such groups.

Please leave any social media drama where it belongs ... in social media, not at Websleuths.

Here, I’ll post his Facebook. Take a look like we do when we sleuth and see if it isn’t strange the lack of posts about him missing by family. Very weird for no attention from family that I can find. Why is that? Could they be aware of this investigation? Does it include them? Is it embarrassing to them? Does he have a good relationship with them? Why are there no press conferences, or pleas for help? Why is United not leading the charge? Why the ambiguity about an “investigation”? Why could he be in the preserve for the “sake of the family” or “his safety”? How can the preserve keep him safe? Who is he hiding from under that scenario? Why no reward? Why no video released? Jake Cefolia

Last edited:
Ask yourself why United Airlines hasn’t taken a big lead in organizing efforts to find their senior executive of some 13 years service? A guy they're paying likely $500k/year or more. I can almost guarantee that internal investigators, in discussions with outside police and other services, have determined that the search being promoted on the FaceBook group is known to be not helpful to them. Why? Hard to know yet.

A couple on the FaceBook group have been trying to silence the skeptics, and now have the skeptics banned. Pretty counterproductive in my view.

If people still want to search the forest preserve, they need to do it in a thoughtful way. Several here and elsewhere already flagged the circumstances that have made the original story suspect. The left-behind cell phone and smart watch are clear clues that this guy doesn't want to be found. His going to this location where he was known to run in hiking boots and non-running clothes (from the gas station video) was a clear misdirection. The area where he parked his car is fairly rural with NO cameras likely in the immediate area.

Police searched the area at the beginning, likely to ensure that “all leads were followed”, even though they clearly didn’t believe he was there despite the presence of his parked car. And any big company like United, with thousands of employees already sitting home on covid furlough, would have been expected to organize a huge search after he went missing with these loyal (and likely bored at home) employees.

And I'll go one step further. If there *IS* a criminal probe, it DOESN'T involve his workplace. If that was the case (some kind of internal malfeasance) they would have sacked him first and then made a criminal referral. As of 15 minutes ago, his bio and picture are still shown on the United Airlines "leadership" page.

Put on your thinking cap.

I see your thinking cap is getting some use.

Excellent post, IMO.

I do believe whatever the criminal investigation entails, that it would probably
affect his professional reputation and maybe this is why he "ran away". Was it a crime for which he could be jailed?

He has lived and traveled all over the world
so it would be easy for him to disappear.

He currently has no real personal connections that he values around this area, at least in his mind.
Possibly he had little equity in his home, or not enough to worry about.
He's wiley enough to know lots of remote resort areas to set up a cushey life on a beach.

Wonder if his passport has been used? Can they trace that?
Were his bank accounts emptied?
just thinking out loud...

I found it interesting his ex wife reported him missing. They must have still been close for her to look in on him.

Well they do have 2 children together and he was probably paying child support and possibly alimony. It's usually in the best interest of the children to maintain decent family relationships.
Also one article said he was observed to be 'intoxicated' the day he disappeared, so maybe the wife knew of a drinking problem and tried to stay in touch to look out for him.

Well they do have 2 children together and he was probably paying child support and possibly alimony. It's usually in the best interest of the children to maintain decent family relationships.
Also one article said he was observed to be 'intoxicated' the day he disappeared, so maybe the wife knew of a drinking problem and tried to stay in touch to look out for him.

I agree minus the drinking problem. I don't think he could maintain his position with United if he had a drinking problem.

I think he left willingly, abandoning his vehicle where he did to throw off the investigation into his disappearance. He knew that forest preserve would be difficult to search due to its size. He left his electronic devices behind, which imo is a mistake if someone wants to disappear and leave people believing he was an accident victim. He should have left the phone with the car, then an accident would be more believable.

This guy could be anywhere in the world.

I think he left willingly, abandoning his vehicle where he did to throw off the investigation into his disappearance. He knew that forest preserve would be difficult to search due to its size. He left his electronic devices behind, which imo is a mistake if someone wants to disappear and leave people believing he was an accident victim.

This guy could be anywhere in the world.

Agreed. As an avid runner, with many running friends, it is a huge red flag that he had a smart watch and left it behind. Every runner I know has either a GPS watch or phone app that they regularly use to keep detailed running stats. There was no way he was going out to run.

This is super strange. I thought he got in trouble, physically, while out running/hiking but it sure seems like they would have found him. And now the mysterious investigation? Super curious about that. Did he do a runner? As said by others, he's been all over the world, he could easily have a money stash, access to private aircraft, bank accounts all over. Was he distraught or overwhelmed by everything going on in his life?

It will be interesting to see where this goes. I hope he's okay.

MOO

I agree that the cell phone not even being in the car points to this not being a running accident. (That, and the level of stress going on here... and the fact they haven’t found him yet. And heard he was spotted in hiking boots?)

I will say that as a frequent long-distance runner and workaholic myself, I love leaving my phone and smartwatch behind for the occasional run. But that’s when I’m heading out just from home, not from my car. And among my friends, I’m a little odd for so often running “naked” from tech.

Article above stated they found glasses, presumably his, at the halfway point of the run. I sure hope he did in fact walk away but goodness If he did, he sure did walk away from a lot. It just doesn’t make sense to me. More efforts need to be put in place. Doesn’t sound like there has even been a search and that’s tragic.
I wonder if the police have spoken with the person who found those glasses? I’m not sure those glasses are even his. I saw the post for those glasses in a waterfall Glen riders group myself. They didn’t match any glasses Jake wore in pics that I had seen and frankly looked female with possible pink tones on earpiece. And they were posted on August 6. Also, it wasn’t halfway of run, it was on the “halfway point bench”. Would be interesting to know if Elmhurst LE checked it out or not.

The “find” group has an interesting post tonight.

I wonder if the police have spoken with the person who found those glasses? I’m not sure those glasses are even his. I saw the post for those glasses in a waterfall Glen riders group myself. They didn’t match any glasses Jake wore in pics that I had seen and frankly looked female with possible pink tones on earpiece. And they were posted on August 6. Also, it wasn’t halfway of run, it was on the “halfway point bench”. Would be interesting to know if Elmhurst LE checked it out or not.

The “find” group has an interesting post tonight.

@diggndeeperstill assuming you are talking about the “clue” (o) they couldn’t find the source of? Forgive me if I’m not stating too much or not enough. I’m still a new WS and learning yet glad to be here! MOO.

Edit-are we allowed to refer to official “find” FB pages as long as it isn’t outlandish? Which I know is hard to define. Is it a case by case basis? I’m so perplexed by JCs disappearance.

Last edited:
Agreed. As an avid runner, with many running friends, it is a huge red flag that he had a smart watch and left it behind. Every runner I know has either a GPS watch or phone app that they regularly use to keep detailed running stats. There was no way he was going out to run.

I do believe men have more of a luxury (or at least not fear) of taking a run minus all “distractions” phone, watch etc. JMO however I totally respect yours.

@diggndeeperstill assuming you are talking about the “clue” (o) they couldn’t find the source of? Forgive me if I’m not stating too much or not enough. I’m still a new WS and learning yet glad to be here! MOO.

Edit-are we allowed to refer to official “find” FB pages as long as it isn’t outlandish? Which I know is hard to define. Is it a case by case basis? I’m so perplexed by JCs disappearance.
We are only allowed to refer and discuss pages that are “official” run by family sort of pages. But no not a clue...

I just found the announcement of his promotion to SVP. Most ironically, it is dated AUG 6, 2018. What is interesting to me about that is that I wonder if he possibly had something in his contract that happened after 2 years? Sometimes that could be a stock option, fully vested, bonus, etc.

If it was something like this, it would be one more indicator he left of his own accord. Of course, United would know this as would authorities, likely. But, why would he want to leave?

https://united.mediaroom.com/2018-08-06-United-Airlines-Names-Jake-Cefolia-Senior-Vice-President-Worldwide-Sales

United Airlines Names Jake Cefolia Senior Vice President, Worldwide Sales
August 06, 2018

CHICAGO, Aug. 6, 2018 /[URL='http://www.prnewswire.com/']PRNewswire
/ -- United Airlines today announced Jake Cefolia has been promoted to senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. A veteran sales leader, he will be responsible for directing the efforts of a team of 725 sales professionals who manage sales programs, services, relationships and revenue with corporations, travel management companies and distributors around the world.
Cefolia will report to Scott Kirby, president of United, and begins his new role today. He succeeds Dave Hilfman, who announced earlier this year his plans to retire. Hilfman will continue to serve in an advisory capacity through the end of 2018.
"It's an honor for me to build on the already strong foundation established by my predecessor and friend, Dave Hilfman," said Cefolia.

[/URL]

I just found the announcement of his promotion to SVP. Most ironically, it is dated AUG 6, 2018. What is interesting to me about that is that I wonder if he possibly had something in his contract that happened after 2 years? Sometimes that could be a stock option, fully vested, bonus, etc.

If it was something like this, it would be one more indicator he left of his own accord. Of course, United would know this as would authorities, likely. But, why would he want to leave?

August 06, 2018

CHICAGO, Aug. 6, 2018 /
PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced Jake Cefolia has been promoted to senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. A veteran sales leader, he will be responsible for directing the efforts of a team of 725 sales professionals who manage sales programs, services, relationships and revenue with corporations, travel management companies and distributors around the world.
Cefolia will report to Scott Kirby, president of United, and begins his new role today. He succeeds Dave Hilfman, who announced earlier this year his plans to retire. Hilfman will continue to serve in an advisory capacity through the end of 2018.
"It's an honor for me to build on the already strong foundation established by my predecessor and friend, Dave Hilfman," said Cefolia.

Interesting find. The two-year mark doesn’t seem like it’d be financially significant the way a year or 5 years would be, but I don’t know the ins and outs of executive/sales-related contracts so someone could correct me if I’m wrong.

It could potentially be personally significant though. You think “I’ll see where this job takes me in two years” and when you then evaluate coming up on that two-year mark ... it’s not what you expected. (Kind of like how you might feel on a birthday or NYE.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subzero55
Back