Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been curious from the beginning why the AP and/or other MSM outlets seldom copy news by The Pantagraph which is typically paywalled for me. Perhaps the paywall block has been to build up projected revenue and subscribers:

Who owns the Pantagraph?
11/23/21

DAVENPORT, Iowa — Hedge fund Alden Global Capital has made an offer to acquire Lee Enterprises, owner of The Pantagraph. Alden already owns 6% of Lee's stock. Alden sent a letter Monday to Lee's board of directors offering to buy the rest for $24 a share, which totals around $141 million, in cash. Nov 23, 2021

Alden Global Capital makes offer to buy Lee Enterprises
What is the relevance of this?

What is the relevance of this?
I think the relevance is that The Pantagraph is providing stories and information regarding Mr. Day that other MSM are not picking up.

But for a further bit of irrelevance, Alden is now suing Lee for having rejected their lowball bid ($24). Lee stock was at $35 today. I guess investors think they can do a lot better.

I think the relevance is that The Pantagraph is providing stories and information regarding Mr. Day that other MSM are not picking up.

But for a further bit of irrelevance, Alden is now suing Lee for having rejected their lowball bid ($24). Lee stock was at $35 today. I guess investors think they can do a lot better.
I agree about the relevance. This case has had national coverage but Pantagraph has provided the majority of updates to the case.

Jelani Day's Mother Calls FBI Reward, Social Media Campaign ‘a Publicity Stunt'

The mother of Jelani Day, the Illinois State University graduate student who went missing and was later found dead in the Illinois River, said the FBI's new reward for information "is a publicity stunt."

"I don’t need a publicity stunt," Carmen Bolden Day told NBC Chicago's Chris Coffey. "I need to find out what happened with my son. They want to act like they’re doing something. I want them do to something."

The FBI on Monday announced a reward of up to $10,000 "for substantial information" connected to Day's disappearance and death, including new witnesses and evidence, as well as a national social media campaign to identify new leads.

Bolden Day said this should have been done in August when she reported her son missing.

"This is Dec. 13 and we’re just now coming out with ideas of a social media campaign," she said.

The Jelani Day Joint Task Force on Monday asked for full cooperation from both the public and Day's "close contacts" and announced "enhanced measures aimed at identifying new leads" related to the investigation.

Jelani Day's Mother Calls FBI Reward, Social Media Campaign ‘a Publicity Stunt'

The mother of Jelani Day, the Illinois State University graduate student who went missing and was later found dead in the Illinois River, said the FBI's new reward for information "is a publicity stunt."

"I don’t need a publicity stunt," Carmen Bolden Day told NBC Chicago's Chris Coffey. "I need to find out what happened with my son. They want to act like they’re doing something. I want them do to something."

The FBI on Monday announced a reward of up to $10,000 "for substantial information" connected to Day's disappearance and death, including new witnesses and evidence, as well as a national social media campaign to identify new leads.

Bolden Day said this should have been done in August when she reported her son missing.

"This is Dec. 13 and we’re just now coming out with ideas of a social media campaign," she said.

The Jelani Day Joint Task Force on Monday asked for full cooperation from both the public and Day's "close contacts" and announced "enhanced measures aimed at identifying new leads" related to the investigation.
It may very well be a publicity stunt but it is publicity none the less. Rewards are being offered. If there is any skullduggery going on, hopefully this will bring something to the forefront. I still want to know more about JD's state of mind prior to this. I suspect there are those who know but may not speak for fear of blow back.

Having also lost family this year, I'm sorry for the Day family that will not have their son, brother, friend, at their holiday celebration this year. RIP Jelani.
Maybe his family can think of a new holiday tradition to add to their gathering to keep Jelani a part of their celebration.
I’m ready for January, not doing the holly jolly Christmas this year.

Last edited:
I can't find the interview but the now former family attorney had mentioned that someone from one of the local law enforcement agencies would be in touch with her daily.. Something along those lines. I took that to mean either victim's advocate or liaison. Don't know what happened with that, or the former attorney, or the PI who the family had hired.

What I fear is happening is that the only people the family is listening to, keeping around are those who support the murder theory. I'm sorry but that is not supporting the family. Everyone should be after truth and clarity, and be open to that no matter what.

His mom is insisting that she NEEDS to meet and speak to the people who found the clothes, the wallet and spotted the car and those with her are saying that's reasonable. It is not. It's an active investigation.
It sounded to me like she thought it was suspicious that ('bored') college students went looking for him and found some items. But they were pleading with people to keep looking, reminding the public (til this day) that his phone, license plate are still missing. It is not okay to attack anyone who helps or gets involved (and then doesn't make themselves available to the family).
I'm new to Jelani"s thread here but from what I've read so far it doesn't seem like Jelani's mom is saying anything bad about those people. The police know who these people all are. I think the mother wants to know if these people knew Jelani. The police have probably established that they didn't know him. Mom may also want to know where exactly the location was where Jelani's items were found. Which the police would also know as these people would have led the police to there to the exact location. The exact location thing however, the police should let mom know IMO. So if she wants to see the exact place his items were found she can go look. Or even maybe give her a look at the items themselves. Mom may want to know what kind of condition the items were in. All MOO.

Last edited:
i think Jesse does this for the spotlight. And I think CBD does it for it to be considered a hate crime to get FBI involvement.

I am surprised the newspaper doesn’t also include the facts that dispute this claim.

I don’t disagree at all! Jesse has never wanted peace…in anything.
It doesn't seem anywhere that I've read that Jelani's mom wants it to be considered a hate crime. I only see a greiving mother. Jesse Jackson's statements, however, about Jelani's organs should be refuted by the publication that quoted him as the organs were decomposing in reality. MOO.

I'm wondering if, given the location of the car, wallet, and lanyard, if a third party were involved. Not necessarily a party responsible for Jelani's demise, but opportunist(s) who found the car with the other items near the river and ditched them after a joy ride, maybe thinking they could make a profit from the car later.

This was what happened in Erika Lloyd's disappearance. By finding, then taking and wrecking her car, thus leaving a misleading track of evidence, two people likely blew any chance, however slim, of anyone ever finding her alive in the desert.
Found Deceased - CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

If this were the case, careful processing of the car would be hugely important. Unless I missed something, we've heard very little about that.
I know off topic but Erika's case is so suspicious and unnerving, very creepy.

Unlike EL's case where there was evidence the vehicle was first crashed, and later stolen by two individuals until they were forced to abandon the vehicle when it overheated, there's no evidence JL's vehicle was stolen. JL's body was recovered not far from where the vehicle was safely hidden without damage in the trees. MOO
I think all Curious_in_NC is saying is that something similar could have occurred. Not the same extent as to what happened to EL's car. Different scenarios can happen but just the similarity is what is being referred to here in reference to both Jelani and Erika. Cars found abandoned and anyone can guess what really occurred in either case. MOO.

Time until Jelani Day's body was found did not affect part of the science

10/28/21

[..]

As the investigation into the death of Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day goes on, the time it took to find and identify the body looms larger, as potential evidence external to the body may have washed away while he was in the Illinois River.

The autopsy report WGLT acquired under the Freedom Of Information Act doesn't help much. Over and over again, there is reference to deterioration and predation from aquatic animals.

Much has been made of how the delay in finding the body might have affected the ability of authorities to discern what happened to him. LaSalle County Coroner Rich Ploch said in at least one respect, that's not the case — in the testing of the body. He said if a body is not deteriorated, they test blood, serum, and sometimes fluid from the eye. If the body has decay the preferred test is liver tissue.

"The only difference normally is time frame. That's another reason blood is sent in because those panels can be processed more quickly than tissue samples because it takes extra steps to process a tissue sample," said Ploch.

He said the sensitivity of the tests is the same. And the standards used to determine detectable and significant levels of compounds are uniform and set by federal authorities using decades of experience and scientific research.

Ploch said water and time may have reduced evidence external to Day's body that crime scene investigators might have found useful. But Ploch said it's still too soon to talk about the possibility that it may never be known how Jelani Day came to be in the water.

[..]
So there are 2 tests specifically (among others) that can be done if the other is not providing the needed data. The fluids from the eyes (in JD's case animal predation) and the liver test (again here in Jelani's case liquified due to decomposition.) So not much could be done and thus the needed data couldn't be provided. This is what I am seeing from your quote above. As Ploch implies the remains were not in an ideal state to get the the necessary data. MOO.

It doesn't seem anywhere that I've read that Jelani's mom wants it to be considered a hate crime. I only see a greiving mother. Jesse Jackson's statements, however, about Jelani's organs should be refuted by the publication that quoted him as the organs were decomposing in reality. MOO.

If she is standing next to her own attorney and he makes that hate crime statement, I'm going to conclude she is either in agreement or thinks it will get the FBI involved, or both. The same thing for the town hall interviews. There was hate crime and missing organs discussions. So many supporters have posted these claims repeatedly and nothing is ever countered and it encourages the narrative. She has not corrected or stopped anyone, when they talked about the organs, while standing next to her. Her son said they are not ruling it out (organ harvesting). Also posted all over social media, claims of organ harvesting, immediately after his disappearance, not just when the article came out, none of the family members addressed it. The links to all of the interviews are upthread, but I'll gladly repost if necessary.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1