Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The interior of Jelani's car was in full view through the (untinted) front window in the parking lot of Beyond/Hello.
Although we have only seen a few still photographs, they are from the CCTV at this well secured retail establishment.
Why do you assume there is not video of Jelani returning to his car and driving away?

Maybe you saw an image I didn't see, but the one released in the media shows his car parked at some distance from the front of the store with tinted windows. Even zooming in, you cannot see a full view into Jelani's car.

I'm not assuming there's no video of him leaving the dispensary, however I do wonder why it has not been released. I speculate it might contain evidence they don't want released at this moment.

Although, I will say that I think if they were leaning towards suicide, there would likely be no investigative reason to not release it.

Good thing she has a noted attorney now to handle some of these media appearances with her, although every time I hear her recall facts of the case, she's always been spot on.

Town Hall and Dr. Oz are two recent examples I can think of. Her timeline was pretty solid in the Town Hall. Also good that notable and credible people like Dr. Oz are helping her keep her story out there. Their support for her helps her credibility, not that she should even be expected to do half of what she's doing to push for answers, IMO.
I do hope Jelani's Mom feels comfort in having someone to listen to her story.

I'm not assuming there's no video of him leaving the dispensary, however I do wonder why it has not been released. I speculate it might contain evidence they don't want released at this moment.
I'm wondering if most of the other frames of the video contained other people who were at the dispensary, so they didn't want to release anymore of the CCTV than they had to. I understand that people in this case have had fingers pointed unnecessarily so connecting more ppl to JJ's case in the public eye, even if their faces are blurred, is not ideal.
I guess there's also no mandate saying LE has to release full CCTV video? I've seen many many cases where police only release still frames. It seems up to the discretion of LE what they want to release. Just anecdotally, I feel that LE typically release full videos in still-unsolved MP cases where they feel that seeing the person further or seeing how the walk/their mannerisms will help solve the case. Even from the start, LE could have felt that the dispensary footage wouldn't have helped so they didn't release it (which I don't know if I agree with but I'm not privy to behind the scenes information).

At this point, releasing more video MIGHT satisfy the people who think that something happened to JJ at the store and he never left the store, OR if might incentive people further to sleuth those who would be seen on video and make more unfounded claims about what could have happened. LE is in a tight bind here, so I understand why they're withholding. Even if it would be nice or helpful, I don't think they're under laws that say they have to share this with the public.

Last edited:
Good thing she has a noted attorney now to handle some of these media appearances with her, although every time I hear her recall facts of the case, she's always been spot on.

Town Hall and Dr. Oz are two recent examples I can think of. Her timeline was pretty solid in the Town Hall. Also good that notable and credible people like Dr. Oz are helping her keep her story out there. Their support for her helps her credibility, not that she should even be expected to do half of what she's doing to push for answers, IMO.
What noted attorney are you referring to? Can you please link your references? Thank you.

I'm wondering if most of the other frames of the video contained other people who were at the dispensary, so they didn't want to release anymore of the CCTV than they had to. I understand that people in this case have had fingers pointed unnecessarily so connecting more ppl to JJ's case in the public eye, even if their faces are blurred, is not ideal.
I guess there's also no mandate saying LE has to release full CCTV video? I've seen many many cases where police only release still frames. It seems up to the discretion of LE what they want to release. Just anecdotally, I feel that LE typically release full videos in still-unsolved MP cases where they feel that seeing the person further or seeing how the walk/their mannerisms will help solve the case. Even from the start, LE could have felt that the dispensary footage wouldn't have helped so they didn't release it (which I don't know if I agree with but I'm not privy to behind the scenes information).

At this point, releasing more video MIGHT satisfy the people who think that something happened to JJ at the store and he never left the store, OR if might incentive people further to sleuth those who would be seen on video and make more unfounded claims about what could have happened. LE is in a tight bind here, so I understand why they're withholding. Even if it would be nice or helpful, I don't think they're under laws that say they have to share this with the public.
I imagine it's also possible the video could contain possible suspects, maybe someone was with Jelani? Having not seen it, there's just no way to know.

It's already been linked several times in the thread. She's working with Ben Crump.
^^sbm

Several times, really? I'm curious as there's actually no mention of BC in the news link provided.

I was aware of only attorney Hallie Benzer specifically named in MSM as representing the family, and also announced in MSM when she no longer represented the family.

To be clear, FB is not an approved source on WS. I'll try to find an MSM link now that I have the name you were referring to.

ETA: add MSM link

Watch now: Jelani Day family continues call for answers

Nov 19, 2021

BLOOMINGTON — More than 300 people joined a virtual town hall Friday night to continue fighting for answers in what led to 25-year-old Jelani Day's death.

Day's mother, Carmen Bolden Day, continues to call on the FBI to take over as lead investigators in the case. She said she has retained prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump to represent the family as they continue to search for answers.

[..]

The Rainbow People United to Serve Humanity Coalition hosted the town hall, which was livestreamed on Facebook and YouTube. Representatives of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, 100 Black Men of Greater Huntsville, and other organizations outlined how they plan to raise the profile and awareness of the investigation.

Last edited:
From the town hall, CBD continues to claim Jelani was murdered because he was taken to Peru, a sundown town.

Wiki defines sundown town below. I'm not finding any credible evidence to cite Peru as the reason why Jelani's manner of death a homicide.

Sundown town - Wikipedia

[..]

In 2019, sociologist Heather O'Connell wrote that sundown towns are "(primarily) a thing of the past",[35] but writer Morgan Jerkins disagreed, saying: "Sundown towns have never gone away."[36] Historian James W. Loewen, author of Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, notes persisting effects of sundown towns' violently enforced segregation even after they may have been integrated to a small degree, a phenomenon he calls "second-generation sundown towns."[36] For example, Ferguson, MO was a sundown town from 1940 to 1960, but now has a 67% black population and is no longer a sundown town. However, it could be classified as a "second-generation sundown town" because it has a largely white police force that practices blatant racial profiling, also known as "DWB policing."[37]

Local, state, and federal investigators have not released any evidence in MSM that Jelani's death involved a crime.

Participants in the town hall allege JD death was not only a murder but also a hate crime.

Illinois defines hate crime at the link below:

The hate crime law in Illinois includes crimes committed on the basis of the victim’s perceived or actual race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin of an individual or group of individuals

What Is a Hate Crime - Hate Crimes Resource Guide

WBEZ Chicago - NPR News
What happened to Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day?

The 25-year-old was found dead in the Illinois River two months ago. His family says police were dismissive of the case because he was Black.
By Eric Stock
Monday, Nov. 29, 11:17 a.m. CT
What happened to Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day?

From the town hall, CBD continues to claim Jelani was murdered because he was taken to Peru, a sundown town.

Wiki defines sundown town below. I'm not finding any credible evidence to cite Peru as the reason why Jelani's manner of death a homicide.

Sundown town - Wikipedia

[..]

In 2019, sociologist Heather O'Connell wrote that sundown towns are "(primarily) a thing of the past",[35] but writer Morgan Jerkins disagreed, saying: "Sundown towns have never gone away."[36] Historian James W. Loewen, author of Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, notes persisting effects of sundown towns' violently enforced segregation even after they may have been integrated to a small degree, a phenomenon he calls "second-generation sundown towns."[36] For example, Ferguson, MO was a sundown town from 1940 to 1960, but now has a 67% black population and is no longer a sundown town. However, it could be classified as a "second-generation sundown town" because it has a largely white police force that practices blatant racial profiling, also known as "DWB policing."[37]

I don't understand Carmen to say he was murdered because Peru is a sundown town. I hear her saying there's been a lack of investigative commitment on behalf of authorities because of systemic racism, which is the underpinning of "sundown" culture.

Here's an interview where she discusses the role race often plays in investigations.
Jelani Day's Mother Highlights Racial Disparities in Handling of Case

I can find some people online, actually, who state that Peru was/might be a sundown town. The LaSalle-Peru public high school was previously all-white in the 1950s, and LaSalle was considered a sundown town according to the link. This database doesn't have a ton on Peru but it does list it as a probable sundown town and there's some people in the comments sharing stories. I don't know where Insider is getting their info but in this article that also state that Peru is a former SDT. There's more online for Peru/LaSalle if you poke around.
While I'm not sure if this is truly related, this journalist does bring up a good point that JJ should have stuck out like a sore thumb when he was walking around town. It's estimated that only 0.4% of the pop of around 10k is black, which only comes out to around 40 people. I understand why LE showed JJ's mum that doorbell camera footage of that young black man going up to somebody's door, they probably believed it must have been him.
Wonder if more people actually did see JJ in Peru/LaSalle (where items were found) that day but didn't want to get involved and make a statement?

Have we heard from his close friends in MSM? The people he hung out with on a daily basis?
His last texts? His history of dispensary visits or no previous visits?

If I had been going to school to provide for my mother - the last thing I would do is ask for money much less pester her continually and a big no-no would be to call her AT WORK.

A month long vacation? What was so stressful in his life that he would even consider that much less ask his mother to finance it?
I don’t think we have all the pieces and everything has not been revealed.
JMO

Last edited:
N5XHhyGQ-DAY-CAR-2.png

I never believed that the car had a front license plate and it seems Attorney Crump confirms my belief here:

Crump said. "The fact that they took the license tag off the back of his car, none of that adds up to suicide.

Jelani Day Update: ISU student's family attorney Ben Crump calls for FBI hate crime investigation

ISU Grad Student Missing Under 'Unexplained Suspicious Circumstances'

Column: Illinois no longer needs a front license requirement. Prove me wrong.

I don’t think we have all the pieces and everything has not been revealed.
^^rsbm

I believe authorities are in a no-win situation because full disclosure appears to be both unwanted and not welcome. We know that not even the most basic information such as Jelani's status at school on the date he disappeared has ever been revealed.

Multiple local, state, and federal LE agencies have found no evidence of a crime, and professional victim behavioral analysis including that by the FBI unit was met with threats, intimidation, and accusations of disrespect of family members.

Personally, I find the agenda party disrespectful to both Jelani and his memory. Instead of pushing the hate crime agenda, why have they not once publicly pursued what caused Jelani to abruptly abandon his advisory meeting and course schedule the morning of 8/23, and instead leave campus --headed straight to the cannabis dispensary, and never seen or heard from again.

Was this the act of a mature, serious graduate student in a rational state of mind? Why no requests for anybody that talked and/or interacted with Jelani that morning to come forward? Why no concern for Jelani's emotional state when he left campus? It's mind-boggling to me that one can bypass the victim himself and go straight to pushing this tragedy as a hate crime. :eek:

Public records provide that Jelani was cited (again) under Illinois Statute 625 5/3-707(a) Class P Orig. for operating an uninsured motor vehicle on April 20, 2021. If Jelani had no vehicle insurance on Aug 23, 2021 (i.e., the second time in 12 months) this could result in his vehicle being towed/impounded by police. We know that both Jelani's age and prior driving history would make for expensive insurance premiums -- especially for an unemployed full-time student.

We've also been told that Jelani inherited the vehicle from his late grandfather and that it was important to him to the extent he would not allow his siblings to drive it.

I think it's possible that Jelani would intentionally remove his back license plate to avoid the loss of this vehicle versus an alleged killer removing the plate, one that didn't otherwise steal, damage, or remove any of the contents from the vehicle -- including Jelani's electronic devices (see link below).

I think there are far too many unanswered questions about victimology here that should be answered long before jumping to the conclusion of a hate crime when there's been no credible evidence cited whatsoever.

I don't know how Jelani ended up in the river but I believe he had impulsive tendencies. Also, I don't think it's disputed that he was under the influence on August 23 and his drowning could very well have been an accident. Nonetheless, I stand with LE in this investigation and especially that although Jelani's disappearance was suspicious, they can't make up a crime that the evidence does not support. MOO

What Happened to Graduate Student Jelani Day?

^^rsbm

I believe authorities are in a no-win situation because full disclosure appears to be both unwanted and not welcome. We know that not even the most basic information such as Jelani's status at school on the date he disappeared has ever been revealed.

Multiple local, state, and federal LE agencies have found no evidence of a crime, and professional victim behavioral analysis including that by the FBI unit was met with threats, intimidation, and accusations of disrespect of family members.

Personally, I find the agenda party disrespectful to both Jelani and his memory. Instead of pushing the hate crime agenda, why have they not once publicly pursued what caused Jelani to abruptly abandon his advisory meeting and course schedule the morning of 8/23, and instead leave campus --headed straight to the cannabis dispensary, and never seen or heard from again.

Was this the act of a mature, serious graduate student in a rational state of mind? Why no requests for anybody that talked and/or interacted with Jelani that morning to come forward? Why no concern for Jelani's emotional state when he left campus? It's mind-boggling to me that one can bypass the victim himself and go straight to pushing this tragedy as a hate crime. :eek:

Public records provide that Jelani was cited (again) under Illinois Statute 625 5/3-707(a) Class P Orig. for operating an uninsured motor vehicle on April 20, 2021. If Jelani had no vehicle insurance on Aug 23, 2021 (i.e., the second time in 12 months) this could result in his vehicle being towed/impounded by police. We know that both Jelani's age and prior driving history would make for expensive insurance premiums -- especially for an unemployed full-time student.

We've also been told that Jelani inherited the vehicle from his late grandfather and that it was important to him to the extent he would not allow his siblings to drive it.

I think it's possible that Jelani would intentionally remove his back license plate to avoid the loss of this vehicle versus an alleged killer removing the plate, one that didn't otherwise steal, damage, or remove any of the contents from the vehicle -- including Jelani's electronic devices (see link below).

I think there are far too many unanswered questions about victimology here that should be answered long before jumping to the conclusion of a hate crime when there's been no credible evidence cited whatsoever.

I don't know how Jelani ended up in the river but I believe he had impulsive tendencies. Also, I don't think it's disputed that he was under the influence on August 23 and his drowning could very well have been an accident. Nonetheless, I stand with LE in this investigation and especially that although Jelani's disappearance was suspicious, they can't make up a crime that the evidence does not support. MOO

What Happened to Graduate Student Jelani Day?
Sorry to say, but imo, everything Crump is involved in has an agenda and the money it can/will generate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back