Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been following the case intermittently with work and hectic schedules, so I started a timeline earlier because it helps me get the big picture. It is not complete, obviously. Please feel free to link me to articles that fill in gaps. I think I've got the basic outline.

It was recently repeated at the Press Conference on 12/3 that JD's body was found naked which conflicts with the autopsy report that JD was recovered wearing a tank top t-shirt, underwear, and a black sweatshirt tied around his waist. The same report corraborates that CBD was told on 9/5 that the body recovered was that of a Black male - most likely her son but positive identification could take weeks. I think the fact that the coroner provided as early as 9/5 that the body was a Black male was significant then and now because it directly relates to why publicity for the missing student dropped off after 9/5 when authorities believed JD had been recovered, pending positive identification. His vehicle had already been located within 3 miles of the body.

But it was apparently clear early on the unidentified body was an adult Black male. The color of the body’s skin is “most consistent with Black race,” according to the autopsy report.

Day was wearing a tank top T-shirt and underwear, with a black sweatshirt tied around his waist at the time of his autopsy and presumably when he was discovered.

I'm recalling that Police confirmed that a tip led them to search the Illinois River where they recovered Jelani's body on 9/4/21.

I've always been curious about the tip and while some opined that the tip was probably the recovery of his wallet or lanyard, I don't this is the case per the video segment at the CNN link below:

At about 1:35 mark of the 4:29 news video, the reporter provides that the wallet was discovered around the time the body recovered, and his lanyard and clothes recovered later.
IMO, it does not follow that finding of these items around the time of the body is consistent with a tip to search the Illinois River.

At this time, I'm inclined to believe the tip may have come from the white female students that joined the search and found Jelani's t-shirt that he was last seen wearing at the dispensary.

Actually, I think these women may have been able to provide investigators with some insight into Jelani's emotional/mental state which unfortunately for them would NOT be consistent or welcome with CBD's belief about her beloved son.

It would be a terrible burden to grieve the loss of your friend while having to fear for your safety for simply telling the truth. MOO

Jelani Day's mother wants the answers she believes national attention got for the Petito family - CNN

His wallet was found "somewhat in the bushes" about a half mile away, according to investigators. [..]

According to investigators, an ID lanyard was found just across the river from the body. Clothing was also found farther east along the river, next to the Illinois Route 251 Bridge.

ETA - found link confirming tip!

Coroner: Body Found In LaSalle County Is Jelani Day

Last edited:
Coroner: Body Found In LaSalle County Is Jelani Day

9/24/21

[..]

“Jelani was such a great person and had so many great friends that people were reaching out wanting to help,” he said.

Fermon did not discuss evidence in the case, but he confirmed police received a tip that brought them to the Illinois River where his body was found.

“Imagine searching an entire city is difficult, but we got some information to give us that second search,” he said, adding he hopes Thursday's identification can provide some closure for the family.

“I couldn’t put myself in their shoes. It was just tough,” Fermon said. “I’d want to know the answers, good or bad, to start the grieving process, so I think it’s good in that aspect.”

[..]

The recent interview with CBD is posted on the official FB page Justice for Jelani Day. Nothing new is revealed other than the fact that CBD and Jelani's father both served the country in the military. Some relevant quotes I've transcribed below:

Reporter:
“People are saying it’s a suicide…Can you tell us why you don’t think that there is any way that’s a possibility?”

CBD:
“Number 1, Jelani would never do anything to hurt or harm himself in a way to take himself away from any of us. Number 2, a person that commits suicide does not remove their license plates, does not park their car in a hidden wooden area, does not walk miles away and drops their wallet, does not walk another mile away and drop their lanyard, does not taken themself to a river and remove their clothing, does not put themself in a river to drown themself especially when they can swim. My son did not do that to himself.”

Reporter: "Have you not pointed that out to [LE]?"

CBD: "...Since the beginning, their take on it was, Jelani parked his car, Jelani dropped his lanyard, Jelani dropped his wallet, Jelani was found in the river. So no matter what I said, that was their stance. That is what they said to me. Therefore I have had to continually fight that Jelani did not do that to himself. Also, per the autopsy report that they gave to me, they said the cause of death is drowning. However, they can’t substantiate or prove that he actually drowned; they only came to that conclusion because his body was found in the water. Um, I know that Jelani had no connections to anyone in Peru. I know that Jelani wouldn’t have taken himself to Peru. I know that if they found his phone now on the interstate in Bloomington Illinois, this has nothing to do with a suicide. There is foul play involved. My son, my son, that bright young man who had a future ahead of him, that had things that we were talking about on that previous Monday. Plans that we were going to take for Thanksgiving. We were preparing for a family trip. My son wouldn’t have did that. He wouldn’t have did that to him, he wouldn’t have did it to me, he wouldn’t have did this to his daddy, he wouldn’t have did it to anybody. He wouldn’t have put that on us! Jelani would be right here today if somebody hadn’t done something to him.”

In the Jelani Day case, nothing adds up | WGLT
Text of the article below. I don't recall hearing this statement from CBD before.
I picked this paragraph out of the article. Maybe someone else will recall hearing this statement from CBD. I'd certainly be curious to know if the BPD would actually tell a family member that before they would look for a person that the family member had to say the missing person had suicidal tendencies.

The Bloomington detective, Paul Jones, had told me that in order for them to start even doing anything, I had to not only report him as missing, but for them to get started I had to say, like, Jelani had suicidal tendencies for them to even start doing their job,” said Bolden Day.

Text from the article:

It’s been more than three months since the body of Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day was found in the Illinois River. His family says that in that time, authorities have provided no answers as to how Day ended up there.

The Day family has enlisted the help of prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump to push the investigation forward. Crump has been involved in several high-profile cases, including representing the families of George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery.

Crump said he was compelled to help the Day family because the facts in the case simply don’t add up. “And we’re not going to let them sweep his death under the rug,” Crump said of authorities.

Day was an accomplished student who had just begun his graduate studies in speech pathology when he disappeared on Aug. 24. His mother, Carmen Bolden Day, reported him missing the next day. On Aug. 26, his car was located in wooded area in Peru, Ill., 60 miles north of Bloomington-Normal. The car’s license plates had been removed.

In the days that followed, personal items belonging to Day were recovered at various locations within a few miles of the car. On Sept. 4, a body was found in the river, roughly a mile from where Day’s car was found. On Sept. 24, the LaSalle County coroner announced the body had been identified as Day.

Local News
Jelani Day timeline: Key moments in the investigation
Nothing about that chain of events makes sense to Crump.

“A young Black man who was beating all the statistics, all the odds, pursuing a Ph.D. And then one day they tell you he was found naked in a river?”

According the coroner’s report, Day was wearing a T-shirt and underwear with a black sweatshirt tied around his waist at the time of the autopsy. But other pieces of Day’s clothing had been found scattered between his car and the river, as had his wallet and lanyard.

The totality of those facts undermines the theory that Day may have harmed himself, Crump said. Bolden Day has long claimed that authorities are trying to dismiss her son’s death as suicide and thinks that may be why answers are so slow to come in the investigation.

“None of that adds up to suicide,” Crump said. “What it is more akin to is homicide.”

Possibility of a hate crime

Crump is amplifying claims made by other advocates for the Day family, like the Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr., that Day’s death was racially motivated. Crump has joined the Day family in calling for the FBI to investigate the case as a hate crime. Currently, the investigation is under the purview of a multi-jurisdictional unit that includes departments from Bloomington, Peru, and LaSalle County.

Crump said that while he can’t yet conclude with certainty that Day’s death was the result of a hate crime, his logic is premised on the belief that Day didn’t kill himself.

“So, somebody killed him,” Crump said. “Then you go to well, what’s the motivation for killing him and who is likely to have killed him in that town? We know the demographics are there are very few Blacks who live in that town.”

It’s logical leap, but one that Crump believes can be proven if the FBI takes over for local investigators who are intent on closing the case as a suicide.

Initial report

Bolden Day traveled from her home in Danville on Aug. 25 to report her son missing. Day was a Bloomington resident, so Bolden Day filed a missing person report with the Bloomington Police Department. She said she quickly began to experience what felt like pressure from investigators there to describe her son as suicidal.

“The Bloomington detective, Paul Jones, had told me that in order for them to start even doing anything, I had to not only report him as missing, but for them to get started I had to say, like, Jelani had suicidal tendencies for them to even start doing their job,” said Bolden Day.

Desperate to get the investigation started, Bolden Day said she told BPD she feared Day would harm himself.

“If I have to tell you what you want to hear in order for you to do your job, then that’s what I’ll do,” she said. But Bolden Day maintains that she never truly believed her son was at risk for suicide, and investigators were aware of that.

Still, Bolden Day thinks investigators came to an early conclusion about the case. “The whole suicide thing, that was the basis from the beginning,” she said.

Police response

BPD spokesperson John Fermon wouldn’t comment directly on Bolden Day’s description of events. In general, he said, missing persons deemed suicidal or otherwise high risk are given priority. But Day met the criteria for high risk based simply on the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, Fermon said.

“Right from the get-go, it just didn’t seem like it added up,” he said.

Fermon said the details of Day’s disappearance — missing class, not contacting his family — were enough for BPD to classify him as a person missing under “unknown and suspicious circumstances.” Investigators began to explore multiple angles, he said, working only with the supposition that something was “amiss.”

“The more we looked into it, there was more questions. And when that happens, we have to dig a little deeper. And that’s kind of what we were doing,” Fermon said.

In response to mounting frustration from the Day family and the public over a lack of progress in the case, Fermon said investigators are doing their best.

“We’re all on the same team,” he said. “So, we all want answers as well. And we can’t provide answers we don’t have.”

A larger cause

Day’s death and disappearance has made national headlines thanks largely to Bolden Day, who has been relentless in her mission to draw attention to the case. She has devoted much of her newfound platform to highlighting racial disparities in missing person cases. Bolden Day has long maintained that had her son been white, his case would’ve received attention and resources. She has repeatedly drawn comparisons between Day’s case and that of Gabby Petito, a white woman who went missing around the same time.

Crump said part of the reason he’s joined the case is to raise awareness about the disparate treatment of minorities in missing person cases. Black and brown people go missing at a far higher rate than whites, Crump said, yet their cases receive far less attention. The missing are often from marginalized communities whose families lack the resources to advocate for help. By making Day “the face of missing Black people in America,” Crump said he hopes to shine a light on the problem and help direct resources to families searching for loved ones.

Bolden Day said she is determined to make sure her son’s story makes a difference.

“There will be change in how they look at us. How they handle us. How they make efforts to help us,” she said.

“Jelani’s life will not be in vain.”

HBO's newest documentary series Black and Missing...Presented in four parts over two days, the docuseries focuses on The Black and Missing Foundation, Inc., a Maryland-based non-profit founded by two powerful Black women dedicated to searching for missing people of color when police and the media fall short.

Viewers meet co-founders Derrica Wilson, a former police officer in Virginia (she was the first Black female police officer in the city of Falls Church) and Natalie Wilson, a public relations expert. They're also sisters-in-law — two tenacious women whose skills and experience complement each other in their crusade to bring more attention to missing non-white people.
HBO's 'Black and Missing' offers an antidote to Missing White Woman Syndrome

Trevor Noah interviews Natalie and Derrica Wilson - Black and Missing Foundation

What Is a Hate Crime
In the simplest terms, a hate crime must include both “hate” and a "crime." The term "hate" can be misleading. When used in a hate crime law, the word "hate" does not mean rage, anger, or general dislike. In this context “hate” means bias against people or groups with specific characteristics that are defined by the law.

At the federal level, hate crime laws include crimes committed on the basis of the victim’s perceived or actual race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or disability.

The hate crime law in Illinois includes crimes committed on the basis of the victim’s perceived or actual race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin of an individual or group of individuals

A the federal level, the "crime" in hate crime is often a violent crime, such as assault, murder, vandalism, or threats to commit such crimes. It may also cover conspiring or asking another person to commit such crimes, even if the crime was never carried out.

The hate crime law in Illinois also includes some nonviolent crimes, such as theft, stalking or cyberstalking, harassment by telephone, email, or social media, trespassing or damaging property, or disorderly conduct.

What Is a Hate Crime - Hate Crimes Resource Guide

In the Jelani Day case, nothing adds up

Crump said that while he
can’t yet conclude with certainty that Day’s death was the result of a hate crime, his logic is premised on the belief that Day didn’t kill himself.

“So, somebody killed him,” Crump said. “Then you go to well, what’s the motivation for killing him and who is likely to have killed him in that town? We know the demographics are there are very few Blacks who live in that town.”

It’s logical leap, but one that Crump believes can be proven if the FBI takes over for local investigators who are intent on closing the case as a suicide.

Where is the ethical responsibility? Crump admits he can't conclude with certainty Jelani's death is the result of a hate crime, but it's Crump's logical leap to go forth and market a "hate crime?" I'd be outraged if I was a resident of Peru!

In the Jelani Day case, nothing adds up

Crump said that while he
can’t yet conclude with certainty that Day’s death was the result of a hate crime, his logic is premised on the belief that Day didn’t kill himself.

Where is the ethical responsibility? Crump admits he can't conclude with certainty Jelani's death is the result of a hate crime, but it's Crump's logical leap to go forth and market a "hate crime?" I'd be outraged if I was a resident of Peru!

Is he "marketing a hate crime" or is he using logical reasoning to onboard the FBI?

Why would people in Peru not be more outraged that a killer potentially walks among them, rather than internalize a truth about a town's demographic that likely has nothing to do with them, personally?

I don't think Crump is implying everyone in Peru is racist, I think he's simply saying race may have played a role in Jelani's death, based on the demographic. I'm struggling to see how his logical conclusion is unethical.

Is he "marketing a hate crime" or is he using logical reasoning to onboard the FBI?

Why would people in Peru not be more outraged that a killer potentially walks among them, rather than internalize a truth about a town's demographic that likely has nothing to do with them, personally?

I don't think Crump is implying everyone in Peru is racist, I think he's simply saying race may have played a role in Jelani's death. I'm struggling to see how his logical conclusion is unethical.
Fortunately, both the feds and Illinois provide a definition for "hate crime." The conditions have not been met. If Crump truly wants to help, he'll go back to Bloomington where Jelani's suspicious behavior originated.

In the Jelani Day case, nothing adds up | WGLT
Text of the article below. I don't recall hearing this statement from CBD before.
I picked this paragraph out of the article. Maybe someone else will recall hearing this statement from CBD. I'd certainly be curious to know if the BPD would actually tell a family member that before they would look for a person that the family member had to say the missing person had suicidal tendencies.

The Bloomington detective, Paul Jones, had told me that in order for them to start even doing anything, I had to not only report him as missing, but for them to get started I had to say, like, Jelani had suicidal tendencies for them to even start doing their job,” said Bolden Day.

Text from the article:

It’s been more than three months since the body of Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day was found in the Illinois River. His family says that in that time, authorities have provided no answers as to how Day ended up there.

The Day family has enlisted the help of prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump to push the investigation forward. Crump has been involved in several high-profile cases, including representing the families of George Floyd and Ahmaud Arbery.

Crump said he was compelled to help the Day family because the facts in the case simply don’t add up. “And we’re not going to let them sweep his death under the rug,” Crump said of authorities.

Day was an accomplished student who had just begun his graduate studies in speech pathology when he disappeared on Aug. 24. His mother, Carmen Bolden Day, reported him missing the next day. On Aug. 26, his car was located in wooded area in Peru, Ill., 60 miles north of Bloomington-Normal. The car’s license plates had been removed.

In the days that followed, personal items belonging to Day were recovered at various locations within a few miles of the car. On Sept. 4, a body was found in the river, roughly a mile from where Day’s car was found. On Sept. 24, the LaSalle County coroner announced the body had been identified as Day.

Local News
Jelani Day timeline: Key moments in the investigation
Nothing about that chain of events makes sense to Crump.

“A young Black man who was beating all the statistics, all the odds, pursuing a Ph.D. And then one day they tell you he was found naked in a river?”

According the coroner’s report, Day was wearing a T-shirt and underwear with a black sweatshirt tied around his waist at the time of the autopsy. But other pieces of Day’s clothing had been found scattered between his car and the river, as had his wallet and lanyard.

The totality of those facts undermines the theory that Day may have harmed himself, Crump said. Bolden Day has long claimed that authorities are trying to dismiss her son’s death as suicide and thinks that may be why answers are so slow to come in the investigation.

“None of that adds up to suicide,” Crump said. “What it is more akin to is homicide.”

Possibility of a hate crime

Crump is amplifying claims made by other advocates for the Day family, like the Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr., that Day’s death was racially motivated. Crump has joined the Day family in calling for the FBI to investigate the case as a hate crime. Currently, the investigation is under the purview of a multi-jurisdictional unit that includes departments from Bloomington, Peru, and LaSalle County.

Crump said that while he can’t yet conclude with certainty that Day’s death was the result of a hate crime, his logic is premised on the belief that Day didn’t kill himself.

Initial report

Bolden Day traveled from her home in Danville on Aug. 25 to report her son missing. Day was a Bloomington resident, so Bolden Day filed a missing person report with the Bloomington Police Department. She said she quickly began to experience what felt like pressure from investigators there to describe her son as suicidal.

“The Bloomington detective, Paul Jones, had told me that in order for them to start even doing anything, I had to not only report him as missing, but for them to get started I had to say, like, Jelani had suicidal tendencies for them to even start doing their job,” said Bolden Day.

Desperate to get the investigation started, Bolden Day said she told BPD she feared Day would harm himself.

“If I have to tell you what you want to hear in order for you to do your job, then that’s what I’ll do,” she said. But Bolden Day maintains that she never truly believed her son was at risk for suicide, and investigators were aware of that.

Still, Bolden Day thinks investigators came to an early conclusion about the case. “The whole suicide thing, that was the basis from the beginning,” she said.

Police response

BPD spokesperson John Fermon wouldn’t comment directly on Bolden Day’s description of events. In general, he said, missing persons deemed suicidal or otherwise high risk are given priority. But Day met the criteria for high risk based simply on the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, Fermon said.

“Right from the get-go, it just didn’t seem like it added up,” he said.

Fermon said the details of Day’s disappearance — missing class, not contacting his family — were enough for BPD to classify him as a person missing under “unknown and suspicious circumstances.” Investigators began to explore multiple angles, he said, working only with the supposition that something was “amiss.”

“The more we looked into it, there was more questions. And when that happens, we have to dig a little deeper. And that’s kind of what we were doing,” Fermon said.

In response to mounting frustration from the Day family and the public over a lack of progress in the case, Fermon said investigators are doing their best.

“We’re all on the same team,” he said. “So, we all want answers as well. And we can’t provide answers we don’t have.”

A larger cause

Day’s death and disappearance has made national headlines thanks largely to Bolden Day, who has been relentless in her mission to draw attention to the case. She has devoted much of her newfound platform to highlighting racial disparities in missing person cases. Bolden Day has long maintained that had her son been white, his case would’ve received attention and resources. She has repeatedly drawn comparisons between Day’s case and that of Gabby Petito, a white woman who went missing around the same time.

Crump said part of the reason he’s joined the case is to raise awareness about the disparate treatment of minorities in missing person cases. Black and brown people go missing at a far higher rate than whites, Crump said, yet their cases receive far less attention. The missing are often from marginalized communities whose families lack the resources to advocate for help. By making Day “the face of missing Black people in America,” Crump said he hopes to shine a light on the problem and help direct resources to families searching for loved ones.

Bolden Day said she is determined to make sure her son’s story makes a difference.

“There will be change in how they look at us. How they handle us. How they make efforts to help us,” she said.

“Jelani’s life will not be in vain.”
I honestly would not be surprised at all if the missing person’s report was already in the works by the time Jelani’s mom got to Bloomington, someone (e.g., a friend, faculty member, fellow student, et al.) had already mentioned to LE that Jelani had been despondent, manic, psychotic -i.e., having some sort of psychiatric crisis (even if in a layperson’s opinion)- and they had made note of that in the missing person’s report. I know that’s different than Mom saying herself, “My son has suicidal tendencies,” or has psychiatric illness, but she would have had to sign the report saying so nonetheless.

Last edited:
I think knowing the events of the 48 hours leading up to Jelani’s disappearance would be beneficial. Was he acting in his usual manner? His mother talks about her version of Jelani’s life but there is nothing from anyone else on what was going on the days beforehand.
Makes me wonder why?

So missing class, blowing off a meeting with a professor and going to a dispensary is a normal occurrence for Jelani.

No texting with friends. No lunch/dinner/study time with friends, other students in his class.
Just a big blank void of time.
JMO

I honestly would not be surprised at all if the missing person’s report was already in the works by the time Jelani’s mom got to Bloomington, someone (e.g., a friend, faculty member, fellow student, et al.) had already mentioned to LE that Jelani had been despondent, manic, psychotic -i.e., having some sort of psychiatric crisis (even if in a layperson opinion)- and they had made note of that in the missing person’s report. I know that’s different than Mom saying herself, “My son has suicidal tendencies,” or has psychiatric illness, but she would have had to sign the report saying so nonetheless.
I agree. It's my understanding that the Director alerted campus police when Jelani was a no-show for their meeting, missed his 1 pm class, and failed to show for his clinician appointment with a patient. I think she was trusting her instinct here. CBD followed up with Bloomington PD the following day 8/25. MOO

I honestly would not be surprised at all if the missing person’s report was already in the works by the time Jelani’s mom got to Bloomington, someone (e.g., a friend, faculty member, fellow student, et al.) had already mentioned to LE that Jelani had been despondent, manic, psychotic -i.e., having some sort of psychiatric crisis (even if in a layperson’s opinion)- and they had made note of that in the missing person’s report. I know that’s different than Mom saying herself, “My son has suicidal tendencies,” or has psychiatric illness, but she would have had to sign the report saying so nonetheless.

If Jelani were having psychotic episodes, would not the students or other teachers have noticed? Wouldn't that kind of bizarre behavior have been apparent in either the Starbucks or dispensary video?

If he were acting anything other than normal the day he disappeared, wouldn't all the people who saw him that day have noticed? Would not the FBI behavioral investigation have confirmed those reports by now? Would there be this kind of delay in reporting MOD if a history of psychiatric illness or bizarre behavior was apparent?

I do think the missing person’s report was initiated by his mother, but I still find it odd that the Director who called for the well check did not mention any suspicious behavior beyond him missing class. Wouldn't she have known if something was off considering she was texting with him well into the night?

Fortunately, both the feds and Illinois provide a definition for "hate crime." The conditions have not been met. If Crump truly wants to help, he'll go back to Bloomington where Jelani's suspicious behavior originated.
Not saying conditions have or have not been met. Just wanted to understand your logic on how him working towards that end is unethical.

If Jelani were having psychotic episodes, would not the students or other teachers have noticed? Wouldn't that kind of bizarre behavior have been apparent in either the Starbucks or dispensary video?

If he were acting anything other than normal the day he disappeared, wouldn't all the people who saw him that day have noticed? Would not the FBI behavioral investigation have confirmed those reports by now? Would there be this kind of delay in reporting MOD if a history of psychiatric illness or bizarre behavior was apparent?

I do think the missing person’s report was initiated by his mother, but I still find it odd that the Director who called for the well check did not mention any suspicious behavior beyond him missing class. Wouldn't she have known if something was off considering she was texting with him well into the night?
I think it’s entirely possible or even likely that bizarre or concerning behavior on the part of Jelani was indeed observed shortly before his disappearance, and it just hasn’t been shared by LE. It happens all the time. As someone who has dealt with mental illness for 30+ years herself, it’s so frustrating how little we talk about it. Yeah, I know about HIPAA: still if Jelani had a heart attack the day before he went missing, we probably would have heard about it, but not if a manic episode. Aren’t they both medical incidents, though?

People have asked why they haven’t asked released the video of Jelani leaving the dispensary. One possibility I’ve considered is maybe because he was acting strangely, and so out of respect for the family, LE decided to show the pics of him arriving only.

This is precisely why the FBI Behavioral Analysis Team would be brought in, and I’m sure they have been working very hard. IMO, it’s extremely likely the Director was the one who first saw the mental health red flags (plus the fact that he had missed several days of class) and got the ball rolling with LE.

Current Trends Operational Criteria for Determining Suicide

"CRITERIA FOR DETERMINING SUICIDE

Self-Inflicted: There is evidence that death was self-inflicted. This may be determined by pathologic (autopsy), toxicologic, investigatory, and psychologic evidence and by statements of the decedent or witnesses.

Intent: There is evidence (explicit and/or implicit) that, at the time of injury, the decedent intended to kill himself/herself or wished to die and that the decedent understood the probable consequences of his/her actions."

Have these criteria been met? Until they are, IMO, the family has every right to believe Jelani did not commit suicide. As a mother, I would also not accept an implication of suicide without evidence.

IMO, this could be a case where pre- drawn conclusions and observer bias impede justice. And that's incredibly unfortunate.

I see the FBI request as a means to avoid bias when systemic racism could be at play.

Last edited:
I think it’s entirely possible or even likely that bizarre or concerning behavior on the part of Jelani was indeed observed shortly before his disappearance, and it just hasn’t been shared by LE. It happens all the time. As someone who has dealt with mental illness for 30+ years herself, it’s so frustrating how little we talk about it. Yeah, I know about HIPAA: still if Jelani had a heart attack the day before he went missing, we probably would have heard about it, but not if a manic episode. Aren’t they both medical incidents, though?

People have asked why they haven’t asked released the video of Jelani leaving the dispensary. One possibility I’ve considered is maybe because he was acting strangely, and so out of respect for the family, LE decided to show the pics of him arriving only.

This is precisely why the FBI Behavioral Analysis Team would be brought in, and I’m sure they have been working very hard. IMO, it’s extremely likely the Director was the one who first saw the mental health red flags (plus the fact that he had missed several days of class) and got the ball rolling with LE.
Respected, but the family has seen those videos. How could they deny blatant psychosis? IMO, an attorney on Crump's level would not be calling for the FBI if evidence of suicide has been produced, and if that kind of evidence is available, why hasn't MOD been declared?

Respected, but the family has seen those videos. How could they deny blatant psychosis? IMO, an attorney on Crump's level would not be calling for the FBI if evidence of suicide has been produced, and if that kind of evidence is available, why hasn't MOD been declared?
Someone who is having a psychotic episode can also be a victim of crime, so they are 100% making sure.

Besides, there are aspects of this incident that do make you wonder, like the number plates. I, personally, believe, Jelani tossed his phone out of the window while still in Bloomington and removed the plates once in Peru maybe because he thought he was being chased. Perhaps changed clothes for the same reason because he didn’t want to be recognized. Along the same lines, it could be that Jelani went to the river to hide in the water from whomever he thought was chasing him, not to kill himself, in which case, the MOD would be accidental.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back