Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jelani was seen on video at the dispensary Tuesday, 9:17am.
There is no activity (pings) on his phone (iPhone 12 pro max) after that time.
Does this mean that someone intentionally turned off his phone? He had a charger in the car per his mom.
Just a question: Why would someone turn off their phone intentionally?

“The last day any of us spoke to him was that Monday evening. After 9:20 on that Tuesday morning was the last time we had any activity from his phone,” said Carmen Bolden Day [Jelani's mother]. “His phone didn’t die, the charger was in his car. I don’t know where his phone is, we are trying to find the phone as well.”

“He did not have a roommate and at this time I’m not aware of any girlfriend,” said Bolden Day.
https://www.cities929.com/2021/09/22/jelani-days-mother-is-calling-for-business-camera-footage/

BBM

If they’ve had the body for so long, they could have sent out for toxicology right away IMO.
They probably did send the toxicology screen right away. Sept 4th is the day Jelani's body was found. If they sent the screen the next day then I wouldn't expect the results back until the middle of Oct.
It usually takes about 6 weeks or more for toxicology results. This is just one of those times that we need patience.

Is this accurate?
LE found Jelani's wallet and a lanyard belonging to another ISU student on a street in LeSalle around 9/2/2021?

Police in the city of Peru said they found the wallet “sometime ago” — around Sept. 2 — on a street in LaSalle, about 94 miles southwest of Chicago, as well as an item belonging to another ISU student and on Sept. 4, a body pending identification, Heart of Illinois ABC reported Wednesday.
The item belonging to another student was a lanyard from the school, according to the outlet.
Missing grad student Jelani Day’s wallet found as mom pleads for resources: ‘All I want is my son’

They probably did send the toxicology screen right away. Sept 4th is the day Jelani's body was found. If they sent the screen the next day then I wouldn't expect the results back until the middle of Oct.
It usually takes about 6 weeks or more for toxicology results. This is just one of those times that we need patience.

Toxicology report aside, it seems like the preliminary autopsy result report should have provided some answers.
(I think)

Is this accurate?
LE found Jelani's wallet and a lanyard belonging to another ISU student on a street in LeSalle around 9/2/2021?

Police in the city of Peru said they found the wallet “sometime ago” — around Sept. 2 — on a street in LaSalle, about 94 miles southwest of Chicago, as well as an item belonging to another ISU student and on Sept. 4, a body pending identification, Heart of Illinois ABC reported Wednesday.
The item belonging to another student was a lanyard from the school, according to the outlet.
Missing grad student Jelani Day’s wallet found as mom pleads for resources: ‘All I want is my son’

If the Daily News is simply re-reporting from the local ABC station, this is what the hoiabc article says,

'Police found something else belonging to someone at Illinois State University when they found a body that still has not been identified. '

Imo, that does not mean another student, but the sentence is A little awkward. I think NY DN went from 'something else' to 'someone else'.

Toxicology report aside, it seems like the preliminary autopsy result report should have provided some answers.
(I think)

I would hope the body was intact enough to make preliminary judgments but being in water for up to 13 days with high summer temperatures may mean significant decomposition.
JMO.

Decomposition Changes in Bodies Recovered from Water
WARNING: Graphic Photos

"Advanced decomposition may completely preclude any detailed gross or histologic examination of major organs.Establishing cause and manner of death for bodies recovered from a liquid environment, typically from water, is challenging enough without the additional complexity of interpreting postmortem changes."

If the Daily News is simply re-reporting from the local ABC station, this is what the hoiabc article says,

'Police found something else belonging to someone at Illinois State University when they found a body that still has not been identified. '

Imo, that does not mean another student, but the sentence is A little awkward. I think NY DN went from 'something else' to 'someone else'.

Thanks.
I agree.

I would hope the body was intact enough to make preliminary judgments but being in water for up to 13 days with high summer temperatures may mean significant decomposition.
JMO.

WARNING: Graphic Photos

"Advanced decomposition may completely preclude any detailed gross or histologic examination of major organs.Establishing cause and manner of death for bodies recovered from a liquid environment, typically from water, is challenging enough without the additional complexity of interpreting postmortem changes."
I had no idea all of that occurs in a water death. Thanks for the warning too

I had no idea all of that occurs in a water death. Thanks for the warning too

Someone here recommended this article (can't remember who) and it certainly clarified a number of things for me.

I've done human dissection as part of a class but a body preserved in formaldehyde is very different from bodies in various stages of decomposition.

1. Turn the airplane mode “ON”.
  2. Turn off the cellular network.
  3. Turn off the Wifi.
  4. Turn phone OFF and remove battery.
Which of the above would stop a phone from 'pinging'?

I say airplane mode and turning phone off, but you wouldn't need to remove the battery - and the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery, anyway.

Does this mean that someone intentionally turned off his phone? He had a charger in the car per his mom.

“The last day any of us spoke to him was that Monday evening. After 9:20 on that Tuesday morning was the last time we had any activity from his phone,” said Carmen Bolden Day [Jelani's mother]. “His phone didn’t die, the charger was in his car. I don’t know where his phone is, we are trying to find the phone as well.”

“He did not have a roommate and at this time I’m not aware of any girlfriend,” said Bolden Day.
https://www.cities929.com/2021/09/22/jelani-days-mother-is-calling-for-business-camera-footage/

BBM

I'm thinking "intentionally turned off phone" as well. It was only 9 am, so there's no way the phone should have been low on battery, since he had class later that day.

I certainly hope they have found the phone or other missing items.

I say airplane mode and turning phone off, but you wouldn't need to remove the battery - and the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery, anyway.

I'm thinking "intentionally turned off phone" as well. It was only 9 am, so there's no way the phone should have been low on battery, since he had class later that day.

I certainly hope they have found the phone or other missing items.

Yes, I'm thinking the phone was intentionally turned off.
Perhaps to keep from being disturbed.(?)
His mother states he had a charger in his car so his phone was most likely fully charged.
His phone, car keys/key ring have not been located.
JMO.

BBM
An expensive phone. No roommate.
No known girlfriend.

Gave money to his mom.
How was he supporting himself?

An expensive phone. No roommate.
No known girlfriend.

Gave money to his mom.
How was he supporting himself?

JD completed his undergraduate degree in 2018 and had been working in Danville, his home town IIRC.
I'm speculating he:
1) Saved money from his job (very likely).
2) Had student loans very likely.
3) Was very likely (but not 100% sure) a graduate assistant in the Communication Disorders Department. Graduate Assistants receive tuition $$ and a stipend for books and living expenses.

JMO but I think his phone, car and living by himself in an apartment may have attracted the wrong kind of attention.

It's interesting that Jelani missed a meeting with a faculty member and that prompted the faculty member to contact police. ??
Also, the info about the clothing. Is that new or did I miss that?

This faculty member contacting the police so soon is, I believe, a glaring RED FLAG. Professors who teach grads & undergrads do not report students missing to police when they miss a day or two of classes. Students miss classes all the time, for various reasons. It is rare for professors to keep such tight tracking reins on students. It is also rare and academically unethical, unsound & unprofessional to texts & call students, as opposed to just more appropriately emailing them - especially for simply setting up a meeting. Plus, he's a grown grad student, you don't need to call him because grad students faithfully live by their iphone calendar reminders. Then for her to go try tracking him down in the classroom??? All of this seems unduly urgent & uncharacteristically invested. Something is off.

I also find it interesting that the faculty member called the police after missing a meeting and not answering the phone. Did they mean campus police? That seems more likely to me - to call campus police and ask them to check on him. But if it’s local law enforcement that was called, that seems….odd. I don’t know if a single one of my college professors who would’ve done that, for me or anyone else.
Totally agree. And he lived off-campus!!

Oh it's so sad to see this ending for Jelani. The wait for identification must have been agonizing for the family.

JMO I'm not leaning toward suicide because I keep going back to the license plate(s) being removed from the car. I'm thinking someone else who was there took that plate, not to make it hard to ID since the vehicle VIN serial number would be inside and easily traced, but probably to put on another vehicle.
Yes, the missing license plate!!! Who would even think to take it & why? To DELAY identification/verification of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz