Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I took the article to mean that he missed class on Tuesday 8/24 (the day he was last seen), Wednesday 8/25 (the day he was reported missing) & Thurs 8/26 (the day the article was published). The article reads: "Day also has not shown up to class the past several days, police said [bbm]." IMO if the police stated on Thurs 8/26 that Jelani hadn't attended classes for "the past several days" it probably just means that Tues, Wed and Thurs. MOO.
According to the Illinois State University Academic Calendar, Fall 2021 classes began on Monday, August 16th:
Academic Calendar for Illinois State University

The original BPD missing persons release reads:
“[SBM]

Missing is Jelani J.J. Day, 25, of Bloomington, Illinois and is a graduate student at Illinois State University (ISU). Day was reported missing on 8/25/2021 under UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES by his family and an ISU faculty member.

Day's family last spoke to Day on the evening of 8/23/2021. They made attempts to locate him but were unsuccessful. Day also had not shown up to class the past several days.

[SBM]” (BBM)
https://www.cityblm.org/home/showdocument?id=26877&t=637660155823357885
This was posted on BPD’s Facebook page on August 26th:

Last edited:
This video was shared with JD's mother the day his vehicle was located and she confirmed the image was not her son and person unknown to her. I wish the media would make it clear this person may be a witness and not that this is evidence of a crime. MOO

Im not accusing that man of anything or of being Jelani like some people thought the police were implying…. but it’s weird the knock implies familiarity but the owner of the house says he doesn’t know who that is… why is it relevant? Even if he is a witness… to what? Who’s house is that?

Also the press conference with the cop all but confirmed homicide for me. He literally was saying he can’t confirm anything at this time but a car left in that condition is very *suspicious* to him…

*content warning - suicide discussion*
I just want to discuss, if this was intentional self-harm, what JJ's thought process would have had to be (i understand suicide is often done irrationally and he could have been driving for another purpose beforehand, but I'm writing this as if this possibility was planned beforehand)

-right off the bat, jumping off a bridge is not a common suicide method choice for males in Canada. I've linked it before but here's some stats on method % in the 2000s. Hanging/firearms encompasses the majority. Jumping in general would be included in the ~13% 'other' category, which also includes death by self-injury, intentional car accident, etc. Wish I had some stats for the 2010s but I'm guessing they'd be more or less the same.

-if he had set out from Peru with the intention being to find a bridge to jump off of, it would have been easier to go west and access the river in Peoria. Didn't want to look up all the little bridges here but I know for sure that one bridge, the Shade-Lohmann bridge south of Peoria, is the same height as the bridge near where his car was found.
upload_2021-9-29_19-46-37.png

-if for whatever reason he wanted to travel in the direction of Peru, there's no way to get to that portion of town (to park the car) WITHOUT crossing the river over a bridge. If that's the goal, why not park the car on the side you are entering the bridge from? If you are driving over it to visualize the drop to the water, why not park immediately once youre on the other side? Doing my Google walkthrough, when youre on the distal half of the bridge you can easily see some quiet commercial/construction roads right below the bridge. This would be a good place to park as any. I think if I was planning to end my life I'd take the first opportunity to park somewhere quiet and secluded, rather than drive into the center of town.
upload_2021-9-29_19-51-55.png

-as his wallet was allegedly found a few blocks away from his car(technically in the town of LaSalle), he could have taken a less direct path and crossed the river over near LaSalle. The bridge over the 39 is not very high (only 20feet), and I can't find the clearance height of the 351 bridge, but it LOOKS pretty high to me. If his goal was to commit suicide via bridge and he had entered LaSalle, I do not understand why he needed to go further west.
upload_2021-9-29_19-57-0.png

-and this one's maybe a reach because I don't know if the general public is aware of....minimal suicide height and all that (but JJ was a really smart guy! so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt) but the bridge closest to where his car was found/where his body was found has a clearance height of 64feet, and a fall from that height would not kill most people. I think when walking up to that bridge, and looking over the side...you'd realize that this fall might break some ribs or hurt you bad but is not a guaranteed death. I just can't see someone who knows this info, and is clearly being discrete here, taking that chance.

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-29_19-33-41.png
    upload_2021-9-29_19-33-41.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 6
Great points @bombardier ! Excellent maps. This is also why this theory gives me pause. It's very erratic, which would otherwise make some sense, if it wasn't such a long trip far away (in terms of a "quick impulsive act").

Well, that might fit, I guess, if he was in distress, driving around randomly. Maybe randomly driving over the bridge put the idea in his head, and he picked the location off the road because it looked like a peaceful place to smoke a joint before walking back to the bridge. Somebody else could have monkeyed with the plates.

There are more than a number of documented suicide drowning and/or bridge jumping by experienced swimmers. Nonswimmers/inexperienced swimmers can drown intentionally or accidentally in almost any body of water, and for them, it would not matter if the bridge jump itself was fatal or just caused an injury. Not to mention all the extra steps one may take to ensure they drown.
If Jelani had parked/abandoned his car on the (seemingly very quiet) streets near the river, it would have been noticed. He wasn't looking to be noticed or found right away.

There are more than a number of documented suicide drowning and/or bridge jumping by experienced swimmers. Nonswimmers/inexperienced swimmers can drown intentionally or accidentally in almost any body of water, and for them, it would not matter if the bridge jump itself was fatal or just caused an injury. Not to mention all the extra steps one may take to ensure they drown.
If Jelani had parked/abandoned his car on the (seemingly very quiet) streets near the river, it would have been noticed. He wasn't looking to be noticed or found right away.
good point - i hadn't even considered his swimming ability when I made that post. Found a statement on his ability, though, in this interview with his poor mother:
"Day also said the coroner implied that Jelani may have jumped in the river, but she said she's not buying it.
She says he knew how to swim and was not depressed, so there was no reason why he would have done that."

JELANI DAY: Mother speaks out about search process

I'm just saying...when there are other methods accessible to you and you have some swimming ability, it's a strange choice to choose to jump from a bridge no higher than ~65 feet i.e. below the height professional cliff divers jump from, as a quick death is not promised nor, I would think, expected.

Last edited:
good point - i hadn't even considered his swimming ability when I made that post. Found a statement on his ability, though, in this interview with his poor mother:
"Day also said the coroner implied that Jelani may have jumped in the river, but she said she's not buying it.
She says he knew how to swim and was not depressed, so there was no reason why he would have done that."

I'm just saying...when there are other methods accessible to you and you have some swimming ability, it's a strange choice to choose to jump from a bridge no higher than ~65 feet i.e. below the height professional cliff divers jump from, as a quick death is not promised nor, I would think, expected.
With all respect to JD's mother, I don't think it fair to use her statements as evidence at this very difficult time in her life. She's the victim's mother who also refused to believe that the body pulled from the river on Sept 4 could possibly be her son. She also would not acknowledge that JD purchased marijuana on the day he vanished. MOO

"He knew how to swim" is kind of vague, doesn't really mean he's capable of swimming in the Illinois River. If he does not know how to enter the water from that jump, likely he would crack some ribs, maybe worse. Not too long ago a woman went off a 60 ft high bridge, cracked some ribs, and punctured a lung. Luckily, she wasn't trying to die and she wasn't alone. The coroner told the mother that he thought Jelani jumped off the bridge.

No autopsy results are released, no information about injuries, etc. In that same interview, the mother said that because of where Jelani's clothes were found, she felt like they wanted her to believe that he just stripped and walked into the river. Which is also possible, absent any evidence that he wasn't there of his own free will. This not being the most "logical" way to end your life, is not evidence of foul play.

This is really distressing to mention, but--in some other cases, it's been mentioned that sometimes the person thinks that hitting the water will knock you out, and then you drown quietly. Or the fall injures you to the point where you can't save yourself.

Jelani Day case: Family upset FBI looking at 25-year-old's death as possible suicide
The FBI is now involved in the death of Illinois graduate student Jelani Day. It is what his family wanted since the day he went missing.

But they are not pleased with how investigators are approaching the case.

"Right now we have more questions than answers. And we need to start getting some answers for our questions before we know the next steps," said Day family attorney Hallie Bezner.

Jelani Day case: Family upset FBI looking at 25-year-old's death as possible suicide

Why did the FBI get involved? Him and the car have been found, meaning fewer resources needed at this point, no state lines were crossed, and if they are leaning towards suicide.... Why would the FBI take on the case? That isn’t making sense to me

If the FBI stated they are looking at his death as a possible suicide, then obviously there were no other signs of trauma to his body, such as stab wounds, gunshot wounds or signs of being beaten. So if it’s foul play, someone could have strangled him or pushed him off the bridge. Just thinking out loud.

Why did the FBI get involved? Him and the car have been found, meaning fewer resources needed at this point, no state lines were crossed, and if they are leaning towards suicide.... Why would the FBI take on the case? That isn’t making sense to me
I don’t get that either. Seems all they need is toxicology results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiosities