IL IL - John Navickas, Jr., 9, Chicago, 07 July 1948

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for doing that. I've attempted to track down the sister, but came up empty. Same with the parents and grandparents. There were a spate of disappearances in Chicago at that period in time, not necessarily connected, just coincidental.

jazzbo13, I believe I have found his sister. Ancestry had a couple of marriages, so with that surmane (and her maiden name) I found her with the same birthdate on Facebook. I don’t think I should post here but pm me if you would like the information.

I believe John and Florence divorced in 1966.

Last edited:
Were Silas Jayne, his brother and their misfit associates doing business in Chicago at their horse stables at the time? If so, I wonder if LE looked into them; the Schuessler-Peterson case comes to mind.

John Navickas, Jr., age 8 or 9 (Birthday is July 7, 1938 or 1939. His age varies as either 9 or 10 depending on the newspaper story) of 9854 S. Ingleside Avenue, Chicago, IL, went missing after going out to play on Friday, July 2, 1948 at 0945. John had been staying at the home of his grandparents, Jacob and Mary Freemont at 945 W. 35th Place, Chicago, IL, so that his mother, Florence, could work in order to earn money for an operation for his father, John. His intention was to visit the Union Stockyards, 4 blocks south, to see the animals. The stockyards were located in an area bounded by Halsted on the east, South Racine Avenue on the west, 39th Street as the northern boundary and 47th Street as the southern boundary. He was seen at 1530, at the intersection of S Racine Avenue and W. 41st Street, wile asking a man for directions to get back to his grandparents' home.

At first, the family thought he might have been kidnapped and set out to collect money with which to pay a ransom demand. On July 10, the FBI enters the case. The police searched the stock yards, dragged the Chicago River, and looked into abandoned buildings and sewers to no avail. The case goes cold until a day before the first anniversary of the disappearance when on July 1, 1949, Constance Czajka, a neighbor of John's grandparents, reports seeing him at the intersection of S. Halsted Street and W. Root Street. He purportedly was in a farm truck with "Ottawa Ranch" painted on the side. There is an Ottawa, IL, and La Salle county officials there are contacted but did not know of any such outfit.

In an article in the Chicago Tribune, of January 10, 1953, police were investigating the relationship between Navickas and a youth named Frank Gudis, 14, 5504 S. Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago. Gudis was present with Navickas when he left the home of his grandparents. Gudis told Mary Freemont that he would take Navickas to the stockyards. Neighbors later reported that they saw Navickas leave with an older boy who they didn't recognize. At the time of the investigation, Gudis claimed that he did not get permission to go to the stockyards, and went swimming with a Ronald Sreniawski, now 15, 3541 S. Morgan Street, Chicago. Frank Gudis had been picked up in Guadelupe, California on December 17, 1952 on suspicion of several rape and knife attacks in Chicago. Nothing ever came of the investigation, and Gudis was sent to a state school for boys as an incorrigible.

The families belief was that he was abducted by a farmer or rancher, and was alive. As of July 2, 1954 his parents and sister, Judith (Judy) DOB; 2-1942, had relocated to Riverside, California for the health of the father. Grandmother, Mary Freemont, worked at scrubbing floors to earn enough money to buy the home from the Navickas and lived there in the hope that he would someday return there. The Tribune would mention Johnny Navickas every few years, either on an anniversary, or in conjunction with other unsolved cases. He was last mentioned in a 1970 article about the disappearance of Edward and Stephania Andrews. Eventually the grandparents would join the family in California. Eventually his mother came to the belief that he was dead.

I was looking up the “Ottawa Ranch” and found this article

There is a Ozark ranch in Missouri that had horses

upload_2019-3-10_13-26-18.jpeg

John Navickas, Jr., age 8 or 9 (Birthday is July 7, 1938 or 1939. His age varies as either 9 or 10 depending on the newspaper story) of 9854 S. Ingleside Avenue, Chicago, IL, went missing after going out to play on Friday, July 2, 1948 at 0945. John had been staying at the home of his grandparents, Jacob and Mary Freemont at 945 W. 35th Place, Chicago, IL, so that his mother, Florence, could work in order to earn money for an operation for his father, John. His intention was to visit the Union Stockyards, 4 blocks south, to see the animals. The stockyards were located in an area bounded by Halsted on the east, South Racine Avenue on the west, 39th Street as the northern boundary and 47th Street as the southern boundary. He was seen at 1530, at the intersection of S Racine Avenue and W. 41st Street, wile asking a man for directions to get back to his grandparents' home.

At first, the family thought he might have been kidnapped and set out to collect money with which to pay a ransom demand. On July 10, the FBI enters the case. The police searched the stock yards, dragged the Chicago River, and looked into abandoned buildings and sewers to no avail. The case goes cold until a day before the first anniversary of the disappearance when on July 1, 1949, Constance Czajka, a neighbor of John's grandparents, reports seeing him at the intersection of S. Halsted Street and W. Root Street. He purportedly was in a farm truck with "Ottawa Ranch" painted on the side. There is an Ottawa, IL, and La Salle county officials there are contacted but did not know of any such outfit.

In an article in the Chicago Tribune, of January 10, 1953, police were investigating the relationship between Navickas and a youth named Frank Gudis, 14, 5504 S. Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago. Gudis was present with Navickas when he left the home of his grandparents. Gudis told Mary Freemont that he would take Navickas to the stockyards. Neighbors later reported that they saw Navickas leave with an older boy who they didn't recognize. At the time of the investigation, Gudis claimed that he did not get permission to go to the stockyards, and went swimming with a Ronald Sreniawski, now 15, 3541 S. Morgan Street, Chicago. Frank Gudis had been picked up in Guadelupe, California on December 17, 1952 on suspicion of several rape and knife attacks in Chicago. Nothing ever came of the investigation, and Gudis was sent to a state school for boys as an incorrigible.

The families belief was that he was abducted by a farmer or rancher, and was alive. As of July 2, 1954 his parents and sister, Judith (Judy) DOB; 2-1942, had relocated to Riverside, California for the health of the father. Grandmother, Mary Freemont, worked at scrubbing floors to earn enough money to buy the home from the Navickas and lived there in the hope that he would someday return there. The Tribune would mention Johnny Navickas every few years, either on an anniversary, or in conjunction with other unsolved cases. He was last mentioned in a 1970 article about the disappearance of Edward and Stephania Andrews. Eventually the grandparents would join the family in California. Eventually his mother came to the belief that he was dead.

I've been unable to find anything further about Frank Gudis on the internet. He had been sent to the troubled Illinois State Training School in St. Charles, IL, but his trail goes cold after that. He was a troubled kid from a broken home. He admitted being involved in a knife attack, but later recanted, and, as far as I can tell, was never charged. Due to the lapses in time of the Chicago Tribune articles, Gudis may have been close to the age of John Navickas, just built larger. From what I can surmise from the Chicago Tribune article, Constance Czajka saw John Navickas a year later, close to the anniversary of the disappearance. She was the next door neighbor of his grandparents, so it would be assumed that she would be familiar with him. However, nothing ever came of that lead.

Hi everyone, I have been actively searching for Johnny for a long time . I am in contact with his Sister , Judy. His sister doesn’t remember a lot and Johnny’s Mother passed away a few years ago at the age of 90 . She was always waiting for Johnny to come through the front door. The Chicago Police Department has no records of Johnny . The only information I have are Chicago Tribune articles. The last one that mentions Johnny is from 1955. Johnny’s mother believed a nice family took him and when I was doing my research , I did find that people would kidnap children to work on their farms . Johnny’s remains were never found .
I had his Sister submit DNA on Ancestry this year but there are no exact matches .

Yes I believe he was born in 1938, as this article indicates. I think deceased 2013.

upload_2020-11-1_7-6-55.jpeg

john-navickas_en_ci-png.270286

John Navickas, Jr. Age 9
Missing since 7 July 1948

Prolly a victim of Kenneth Hansen, the convicted killer of the Petersen-Schuessler boys and suspected perp in the Grimes sisters murders (he was in the same BOTY movie theater as they were the night they disappeared 12/28/56.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonecold
Back