IL IL - John Spira, 45, DuPage County, 23 Feb 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was also an interview done with his sister Stephanie with Vanished in Illinois.
www.vanishedinillinois.com
Their Facebook is Illinois Missing Persons Investigate and Report
They are looking for volunteer professional AND non-professional sleuthers for missing persons in Illinois

Thanks for the interviews, guys. I learned a bit more........ I've spoken with both leo's interviewed and I know they are good, very dedicated people.

The first thing that stood out was the info that LA took "cadaver dogs" to the place of business the weekend John went missing. No source was listed so I'd like to know if that info came from family or LE.

Secondly, LE indicated they went over Johns SUV and found "no fingerprints". Does that mean no finger prints as in the vehicle too clean? Or as in nothing of evidentiary value was found? Was Johns SUV the only vehicle searched for evidence or were other vehicles owned by Dave Stubbed and/or Company vehicles searched?

Another thing that really sticks out is Suzanne's choice of words stating she was just as "devastated" as everyone else when talking to Johns sister about his disappearance. People aren't necessarily devastated about the unknown, yes are worried, not devastated. That comment convinces me she knew John was gone and not coming back when she spoke to Johns sister.

Now I am wondering if Suzannes death was really natural causes. She would have been a liability and if someone got rid of John, just think about how much easier it would be to do a second time around. Wouldn't it be something if LE could break this case wide open by proving Suzannes death wasn't natural causes?

If one of Johns other flings were involved as theorized, there would be ZERO reason for DS and Suzanne to not have cooperated with police.

I think they shared around fair amount, the crime watch daily episode was was waaaay better than the disappeared episode. And to think there is so much more LE isn't making public. I hope those responsible are carping their pants, time's a tick'n.
:jail:

After seeing the CrimeWatch show, that certainly sheds a lot more light on who might have caused John Spira harm.

Since it looks like the cell phone never left the area of the business, if he was murdered where is the body? It was February 23, 2007 and a snowstorm had come through the Chicago area. So the ground probably would have been rock hard. The lakes might have been frozen. I am sure weather reports for January and February would show if there was continued cold for a long period of time. Driving a dead body on icy roads would not be the most ideal day to transport it. If John Spira was killed in his business wouldn't blood splatter be found somewhere? Maybe that is why the building burned to the ground?

When you do not have a body it is very difficult to come to any conclusions even if it looks like a particular person murdered John Spira.

I can come up with so many creative ideas about what might have happened to the body if he was murdered. Maybe the body was kept somewhere and then it was buried under the business before it goes up in flames because the disturbance to the ground would have to be covered up? But then why would anyone keep a body for nearly 7 months before burying it? Maybe the body was buried in the back and the truck was moved to the back lot over the body? But then there is the ice cold weather.

Why would a woman kill her husband after signing the divorce papers or agreeing to terms? What would have happened financially had his body eventually been found? There are so many questions to this mystery.

This is my opinion only but the business partner owns land in MO that he has refused to let it be searched. Maybe the ground was not frozen in MO then. Who knows? There are some guilty looking people and not enough evidence, plus some are not alive anymore.

Johns business had to do with underground cable. Clearly it's logical the equipment the business used could have easily broken through frozen ground. It snowed after John went missing, so I've aways thought that snow would have covered any disturbance to the ground. Plus, there are a lot of forest preserves and open land in the immediate vicinity of where John went missing.

I've always wondered if LE investigated the possibility of John being buried on a job site.

I also think it's more likely John is close to where he was last seen. It would be risky to transport a dead body from NE IL to MO. I don't know which route get would take, but it's a boring flat open farmland drive down I-55 to St. Louis. There'd be lots of places to ditch a body long before getting to MO.

Thanks, Cubby!

(OT But what a great home opener last night!!! Fly the W!!!!!!!!!!!)

Back to John Spira, That is true what you say about the equipment. I've always thought that he could be buried at a job site. I wonder if any were searched with cadaver dogs or GPR. There are so many areas that could be used as a burial site it would be impossible to find him without somebody talking. I think after all this time no one is going to talk. They got away with it and they will stay silent.

In the case of John Spira, since the cell phone was in the area of his business until 11 pm, there is probably a good chance his body was also in that same area. Or the cell phone was removed from the body because the business partner overheard he was going to have dinner at 8:30?

Since John Spira had multiple romantic interests there is always the possibility that it could be someone who was angry with him or stalking him. That is why his truck is so important.

The only reason I could up with that makes sense as to why John Spira's truck was moved from the front of the business to the back is the snow. I know from my own job, when the snow removal person comes they want you to move your car. It is hard to tell if the business was big enough that they had someone come to remove snow.

About the only thing police can do in this case is search as best they can, especially the area of his cell phone. Then hope to find some clue that leads to what happened to him.

I wish Johns sister would put together a detailed time line of the events of ALL aspects surrounding this case. Divorce proceeding dates and times, dates and times of events which occurred the day of Johns disappearance, that weekend, the date the sign went up, went missing and when the office burnt down.

Cubby, I just requested one. Let's hope we get one.

On the Missing John Spira Facebook page, his sister reminded us that it is his brithday today. Still missing after Almost 12 years :( Light a candle that his family gets some closure.

"What can I say? Another birthday John doesn't get to celebrate. Pretty sure he would have been with us this past weekend to celebrate his and his nephew's birthday but someone took away that opportunity and still nothing is happening. The police do nothing. I'm beginning to think all that they have done was nothing more than a dog and pony show and the fire investigation was a total joke. If they really gave me all that they had in response to my FOIA request, then the fire investigators did very little. That was their chance and they blew it. Still fuming almost 12 years later."

Since the business John Spira owned with his business partner burned down in September 2007, and later another brand new building was put over it that was never used, I can only imagine that police had to think at some point that John Spira was buried underneath the building.

The information I know about the case comes from the Disappeared episode titled When the Music Stopped. If you factor in the fact that there was a snow storm coming in and that Spira's cell phone never left the area up to 11 pm on the night he disappeared, I think that had to be considered a possibility at some point. But there is no evidence to suggest that he was buried under the business since the dog searches did not hit on anything.

I do know that underground cable rolls(depending on what they are made of) can be very expensive. So maybe someone kidnapped him to try and take over his business and assets?

Therein lies the problem with these type of missing person's cases with suspicious circumstances. It all points to some type of foul play, but without a body don't police have to assume the victim is alive, whether he is being held captive or disappeared on his own? Is it like what you see on t.v. where missing persons division is different from the homicide division because the investigations are different?

I read an article that said many missing persons cases are solved, but you just do not hear about it because the solution is usually something simple. What happens to all the cases from the 1970's, 80's, and 90's that are not solved?

It has to be frustrating that without a body there is not much you can conclude with any type of certainty. Until the day John Spira's body is found, technically speaking he would still be married, still running a business, and still alive. I know that is not likely.

That has to be the most frustrating part, not having any sort of closure. Knowing nothing has to be hard. This case has remained unsolved for nearly 12 years. It would be nice to see this case solved someday, or least find out that his body was recovered. Or else the case will remain consumed with the same question: What happened to John Spira?

The building and land that housed the business John disappeared from went on the market today.

Just to correct a post above. The building was not burned to the ground. The fire gutted it, but it was repaired and rehabbed.

The listing says age, new, but that isn't quite accurate because the original building was never bulldozed to the ground.

Lots of pictures at the listing, including several aerial of the building and land above around the building.

2N255 County Farm Road, West Chicago, IL 60185

The first thing that popped into my head when seeing just how much land is around this building, which would not have been viewable from the street when John disappeared, is ground-penetrating-radar. Holy cow was there enough room to possibly bury John on that land. I sure hope DPCSO has ruled that property out as a burial site for John.

Last edited:
Who is in contact with John's sister? I want to make sure she is aware the building is listed for sale.

DPCSO should get necrosearch out there to examine the property.

ASSISTANCE
NecroSearch International, Inc. provides assistance to law enforcement agencies in the search for and recovery of human remains and associated evidence.

NecroSearch International, Inc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back