GUILTY IL - Kristina Wesselman, 15, raped & murdered, Glen Ellyn, 21 July 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cubby this a long shot but do you think he could have murdered Karen Schuchardt from Glen Ellyn also. He was active in 1977 and Karen was murdered in 1974. He would have been about 21 years old at the time.

From Cubby's link:

It was 40 years ago this summer that Michael Jones abducted a woman at gunpoint in Chicago as she rode her bike home from work and beat, sexually assaulted and choked her with a rope before releasing her outside a hospital.

She and four other women who have accused the former Champaign handyman of rape or other sexually motivated offenses over the years may come face to face with him again if allowed to testify in ongoing DuPage County court proceedings in the July 21, 1985, killing of 15-year-old Kristy Wesselman near Glen Ellyn.

Cubby this a long shot but do you think he could have murdered Karen Schuchardt from Glen Ellyn also. He was active in 1977 and Karen was murdered in 1974. He would have been about 21 years old at the time.

It crossed my mind.

Hoping this case gets to trial soon. Kristy's family has already waited so long. I hate that Illinois cases move so much slower than those in other states.

You beat me to it, Luckymanuh.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...ying-points-finger-at-suspected-serial-killer

All I gotta say is good luck. How does the defense plan on explaining Michael Jones DNA being found on Kristy's body? Are they going to claim Jones suddenly recalled having consensual sex with Kristy in the minutes before she was found deceased but just prior to her unfortunate encounter with this alleged serial killer?

Honestly, the evidence is so strong against Jones, I'm surprised he didn't cut a deal and is choosing to take this to trial. DNA doesn't lie, there isn't going to be any valid defense for Jones DNA being found on Kristy.

You beat me to it, Luckymanuh.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...ying-points-finger-at-suspected-serial-killer

All I gotta say is good luck. How does the defense plan on explaining Michael Jones DNA being found on Kristy's body? Are they going to claim Jones suddenly recalled having consensual sex with Kristy in the minutes before she was found deceased but just prior to her unfortunate encounter with this alleged serial killer?

Honestly, the evidence is so strong against Jones, I'm surprised he didn't cut a deal and is choosing to take this to trial. DNA doesn't lie, there isn't going to be any valid defense for Jones DNA being found on Kristy.

For sure....will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Judge rules against Jones defense suggesting a deceased possible serial killer may be responsible for Kristy's murder because there is no evidence to back that claim and the use of the name "Kris" is not enough to tie the third party to the crime.

Additionally, prosecutors say they were able to positively rule out that deceased serial killer through DNA. No one other than Jones, can be positively linked to the crime via dna.

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...e-blamed-for-1985-slaying-of-kristy-wesselman

I'm glad everyone is updating the information.
At this point, what's in the articles is pretty much it as far as information that we have.

Welcome back, Quessie. I'm glad justice is finally so close, and I wonder sometimes if Kristy's family would prefer a trial or guilty plea from the defendent. On one hand, I hate that they have to relive this through a trial, and on the other hand, I want them to have the chance to make an impact statement to this 's face, if they so desire.

Any idea on how long a trial is expected to take?

There is a little more information in the following article than the one I linked upthread. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-met-dupage-cold-case-hearing-20171220-story.html Jurors will see video of some of Jones interview with police.

Also mentioned is a status hearing scheduled for January 5th, which was today. Not sure what happened.

I can't believe the trial is almost here. A little more than 2 weeks....

This has been a long time coming. I remember this murder like it happened yesterday. Justice is coming Kristy!
I wish there were be DNA ran in the Karen Schuchardt murder. I do not know if any was collected.

Almost time to move this thread over to the trials forum. Any locals going to the trial? If so, can you post updates to the thread? I wonder if Justin Kmitch will be attending and updating on twitter. I'm pretty sure he'll be updating in the Daily Herald...... I hope someone is posting live on twitter.

About 1.5 weeks to go!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back