IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well here we are six years later and they are still no closer to catching this guy than they were on day 1. I can't believe someone can walk into a store in the late morning, regardless of how cold it was, spend as much time in the store as he did, shoot 5 people at point blank range and then just disappear. It doesn't add up and I smell a rat somewhere. I just hope someday he slips up and his fingerprints are matched with the ones at the crime scene. I know they are going through cell phone activity from that morning from the cell tower nearest to the store.

After reading about this case. I am starting to wonder how accurate the composite sketch of the killer is? As this sketch is coming from a victim who was shot in head. I wonder if that could effect someone's memory and cause the composite sketch to be inaccurate.

I never thought of it that way but you have a point. She was the only living eyewitness and she was traumatized too. I think for the most part it is accurate but I'm sure there are details she wouldn't remember because she was traumatized. I would feel much better about this sketch and description if there were more people who saw him. I still don't understand how absolutely nobody saw him leaving the store. It's almost as if he became invisible after the shooting. I have thought from the time I started reading into this case that there is something someone is not telling us. This doesn't add up.

I don't believe she was shot in head. She was shot in the neck but it was a graze type injury.

Even if the drawing did not look like the killer, someone had to have braided his hair and would remember a green bread that hung down in front. Why did they not come forward??? Really sad.

I agree, there are probably several people out there who know exactly who he is and probably where he is at this very moment. They are protecting him but someday his luck will run out. Some things that really bother me about this case: Why is it that nobody else in that shopping center saw him enter or exit the store? It was late morning on a Saturday and I can't believe he went so undetected and was able to disappear so quickly. How can someone who is so brave enough to commit something like this not ever be arrested for something before or after. They have his fingerprints and he comes up nowhere. That makes no sense to me that he hasn't even been arrested for so much as a suspended license or something.

Maybe it's just me, but the guy they just arrested for kidnapping the girl in Virginia, Jesse Matthew, looks a lot the sketch in this case. Does anyone else see a resemblance?

Thank you for your post jbirner. While I was searching for a photo of Jesse Matthew for comparison, I found a mug shot of Mona Nelson, who strongly resembles the composite sketch for the Lane Bryant murders. Someone has already discussed this here at WS, here:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ston-TX-a-serial-killer&p=5951644#post5951644

I am going to try and post side by sides of Monica Nelson and the LB sketch

photo source, google image search.

I was in Chicago with girlfriends on a shopping trip when this horrifying and senseless shooting happened. It really shook us up, even though we were not in the Tinley Park area. I was not aware that the killer was still at large.

I feel awful for the families of the shooting victims and am glad to know there is still an active investigation going on. I just wanted to write a note of support for those families who are waiting for justice for their loved ones.

IDK if there was ever a reply from ISP regarding the possible connection to Mona Nelson. If I don't get a reply in the next few days in the other thread, I am going to print up the relevant information and pass it along to a neighbor of mine who is ISP. If nothing else, at least we'll know it has made it's way to the right person. (if it has not already)

Who better to hold up a Lane Bryant then someone who might possibly shop Lane Bryant

I printed the information and delivered it to my ISP neighbor. I did include the original posters information from the other thread to make sure he or she gets the credit for the find.

I haven't talked to him for feedback yet, but will definately do so as I see him. (I don't bother him unless I see him in passing.)

Interesting read. One thing I didn't see mentioned or explained was the fingerprints they recovered. If this Mona Nelson was the killer and they ran her fingerprints they should come back as a match. In my opinion, after listening to the 911 audio, I believe it was a male voice however there is the possibility it could be a woman.

I finally found the 911 tape. I hear what sounds like the nasally local sounding voice, but I really can't tell. The tape is too short.

I didn't follow the Jonathon Foster case closely, so I don't know if there are any samples of Mona's voice online anywhere... I'd like to listen to both a recording of Mona's voice along with the 911 call and see if there are any similiarities.

Even if it is not Mona, it would be nice to know that lead was followed up on and ruled out.

While police don't know who the killer is, they have a good sense of who he is not. DNA and fingerprint evidence recovered at the scene hasn't been matched to any criminal currently in a law enforcement database. He also hasn't been arrested on another serious crime in the five years since.

http://abclocal.go.com/story?section=news/local&id=8975873

Ok, so it is probably not Mona.

Though, I do wonder how the authorities are certain the fingerprints and dna they have on file are those of the killer? Considering how many customers were in and out of that store, how do they know with certainty they are the killers?

I read where he left the shell casings behind. More than likely the fingerprints were lifted from those although I could never find any confirmation of that. I also read where one of the victims fought with the suspect and she may have some of his DNA under her fingernails.

One thing that boggles me about this case is the choice of store to rob. I've never worked retail, but I wonder why choose a clothing store versus a convenience store or gas station?

Do stores such as LB open with a large amount of a cash in the drawer?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel
Back