Found Deceased IL- Lane Campbell, 50, Chicago, 19 Feb 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'I don't know if my dad has slept:' Murrells Inlet restaurant owner's son still missing

His sister, Annie Yunginger, said Lane and his father have a phone call every week that neither of them ever miss. When that phone call never came, family members started the process to report Lane as a missing person.

"Day seven, it's just like 'POOF! He disappeared!' and we have nothing to go on," she said.

She said after seven days, they have not received a single tip, and the situation is hitting family members hard.

“Every time I see my brother’s face on Facebook with the word ‘MISSING,’ it’s like a sucker punch,” she said. “Every night trying to go to sleep not knowing where he is, or if he’s okay, my heart just—is crushed for my parents. I don’t know if my dad has slept in a week. It’s just been awful.”

She said family members have hired a private investigator and an attorney.

He's an adult. He's single. He's capable of taking care of himself. There are apparently no signs of the proverbial "foul play". Are LE and the PI able to review his bank and credit card transactions or is that an invasion of privacy?

An interesting question. Since they believe he has his cell phone with him I would think that, if true and it has been kept charged they could pinpoint him. Even if it hasn't been kept charged I think it might be possible to see where he (or at least the phone) went for a fair amount of time after he was perceived as missing.

I can't say that I "knew" him, at least not well, but I met him several times. He was a fan of Americana music and attended a small music festival in St Louis most years that I also was a regular at for several years. We have a lot of mutual friends and acquaintances who from what I've seen all seem shocked by this. While it might be hard to prove foul play at this point, either an accident of some kind or foul play sure seem most likely.

So possibly he just did something nice for his g/f and took her car to the Shell station to fill it up, then brought it back to her house? In that case, I'm guessing he took either a ride share or public transit back to his apartment?

So possibly he just did something nice for his g/f and took her car to the Shell station to fill it up, then brought it back to her house? In that case, I'm guessing he took either a ride share or public transit back to his apartment?
Yes but you'd think someone would have seen him then, right? Rideshare is usually connected to an account so if he called an Uber or Lyft, there would be some record of that somewhere. Even to get to the Metra train station to get back to Chicago from his girlfriend's house he'd probably need to take a rideshare or a bus, I don't think it is within walking distance. Metra station in Chicago has cameras for sure, he'd be on camera in the station exiting the train.

I grew up in Chicago and live in SC and enjoy Murrell's Inlet/Myrtle Beach, so I'm invested. Plus Lane has such a nice face and seems so well-liked--all around smart, great guy!

Could he have simply taken his girlfriend's car to his house to drop off his bags? Maybe she lives relatively close to him, and he might have wanted to take a shower and get a fresh change of clothes as well. Or maybe he needed a specific outfit for an event, so he had to go back home.

Then, he planned to return to her place using her car, go out with her, then use mass transit to go back home that night without the burden of a bag of clothes?

Or maybe he thought that someone he had plans with later that night could give him a ride home, and he didn't want his stuff with him if there were multiple people. I don't know.

Last edited:
I wonder how big this duffel bag was, and what was in it. For example, if Lane decided that he wanted to pack up his belongings because they were breaking up that would be good to know. If he didn't want a big scene, he might have waited until she left to pack up his things. She might not even have known that he was planning to do that when she left for her appointment. Just a thought.

rsbm

W
ondering why he uses Mr. Kessler or Monsieurkessler? Is that a song lyric or band I’m not familiar with?
From looking at his tweets, I can say have somewhat similar tastes in music and craft beer but I have no clue about what Monsieur Kessler refers to. There's no lyrics like that that I can recall. Maybe from a French film?

David Kessler was a French media bigwig type. No idea if that's where his Twitter handle comes from.

If he was filling his gf's car with gas, why go as far as where he was seen? There are multiple gas stations much closer to where she lives (which I've read as "Walnut Road in Oak Forest").

The station where he was seen is just off the interstate that would take him north to Chicago -- so maybe, as someone else suggested, he took his stuff home using her car and stopped there either coming or going?

It's a 2 1/2 hour trip via public transportation from his place to hers in Oak Forest. It's about 50 min by car but he didn't drive to OF, so how did he get there? Ride share would be $$$ but it's a possibility...

Last edited:
David Kessler was a French media bigwig type. No idea if that's where his Twitter handle comes from.

If he was filling his gf's car with gas, why go as far as where he was seen? There are multiple gas stations much closer to where she lives (which I've read as "Walnut Road in Oak Forest").

The station where he was seen is just off the interstate that would take him north to Chicago -- so maybe, as someone else suggested, he took his stuff home using her car and stopped there either coming or going?

Still doesn't explain where he is. Did he go back to his place via Uber or something, and then disappear? Or take his stuff home using her car, return the car to her place and then disappear....
Thanks for that on the name. Just has me curious.

Yea, so strange. On the whole car thing..

Was it said she was going to a dr appointment? The things that go through your head are always like ok, was she pregnant? (I have no idea if she is even that age, so I am not trying to start a rumor or anything)

Why go home? Did he have a pet? A housekeeper? A ring to pick up? just ideas? I am lost but where is he! What was the weather? And, I am lost on the time of day. I need to go back and read exactly what time of day he disappeared.

Thanks for that on the name. Just has me curious.

Yea, so strange. On the whole car thing..

Was it said she was going to a dr appointment? The things that go through your head are always like ok, was she pregnant? (I have no idea if she is even that age, so I am not trying to start a rumor or anything)

Why go home? Did he have a pet? A housekeeper? A ring to pick up? just ideas? I am lost but where is he! What was the weather? And, I am lost on the time of day. I need to go back and read exactly what time of day he disappeared.

Doesn't sound like anyone knows for sure. His GF left him at her place to go to an appointment (not clear how she got to the appointment though, if her car was still at her place). He was seen "near 15901 Crawford Ave in Markham" 19 Feb around 8 am, driving her car. But her car was found back at her place, and he was not.

It sounds like people believe he made it back to his place in Chicago because a duffel bag was found there. I have to assume the gf ID'ed the bag as the one that had been at her house? Otherwise, it's a huge jump to think he made it back to Chicago; the duffel bag could have been lying around with clothes in it from a previous trip to her house or something.

He was supposed to have lunch with her in Oak Forest, so makes you wonder if they were going through a rough patch or something? Also, how did she get to her appointment... did he drop her off, and that's why he was seen in her car? What was she doing between the appointment and lunch time, and how was she meeting him if she didn't have a vehicle? There are some big holes there, not accusing anyone of anything, just a lot of missing info.

I saw one post on his Twitter feed in which he championed talking about depression and anxiety in an authentic way and not downplaying them. Nothing else jumped out at me (other than he seems to have a good sense of humor and he was not a Trump fan at all).

I haven't lived in Chicago in eons, but isn't Markham where he was last spotted, kind of a dangerous area?
Also, isn't there something going on where there is a huge amount of car jackings going on there?

BTW...Anyone know how long this woman/girlfriend and him were together? Because if they were together for any amount of time, he wouldn't have to bring his stuff in a duffle bag to her house.

Last edited:
I haven't lived in Chicago in eons, but isn't Markham where he was last spotted, kind of a dangerous area?
Also, isn't there something going on where there is a huge amount of car jackings going on there?

BTW...Anyone know how long this woman/girlfriend and him were together? Because if they were together for any amount of time, he wouldn't have to bring his stuff in a duffle bag to her house.
I don't think it's too weird if he drove to Markham or farther away for gas...I live in Chicago and gas is expensive. Many drive out of their own neighborhoods to go to the suburbs or even Indiana to get gas at a lower price. And yes, we keep hearing about carjackings, but it seems there wasn't one here if both their cars are accounted for.

I don't think it's too weird if he drove to Markham or farther away for gas...I live in Chicago and gas is expensive. Many drive out of their own neighborhoods to go to the suburbs or even Indiana to get gas at a lower price. And yes, we keep hearing about carjackings, but it seems there wasn't one here if both their cars are accounted for.

I don't think I said it was weird to go to Markham for gas from nearby Oak Forest. I was just saying that Markham is dangerous area -- keep your head on a swivel type area.

I don't think I said it was weird to go to Markham for gas from nearby Oak Forest. I was just saying that Markham is dangerous area -- keep your head on a swivel type area.
Sorry I should have replied to Occam's post above--they were commenting why he drove farther out to get gas when he could have gone to a closer gas station.

I think starting with the cameras that may be installed in his apartment buildings entrance would be a good place to start. Was he seen coming out? If so, what time?

Also, if we know he was seen on camera stopping for gas, then these town cameras have already been checked, so hopefully the apartment entrance cameras should already have been checked before this! If so, why no update on that?

Just trying to piece together what he does and who he is and looking for a reason for him to be missing.

His position with the University.
Contact – Export Controls Compliance

Lane Campbell is the Director of Export Controls Compliance, a role he’s held since the Office’s inception in November 2012. Lane is responsible for ensuring that the University is in compliance with the various rules and regulations governing export controls, including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, and sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Prior to joining Export Controls Compliance, Lane worked in Northwestern’s Sponsored Research as a Senior Contract and Grant Officer. Before joining Northwestern in the Spring of 2010, Lane was employed by Yale University at its Center for Clinical Investigation, working closely with Yale researchers and administrators to activate clinical trials. Lane holds a B.S. degree from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, and a joint JD/MBA degree from the University of Cincinnati.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back