GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OMG.

McDonald was shot 14 times AFTER the he was down on the ground and then the officer RELOADED and was preparing to shoot him again at which point his partner asked him to stop!

That is just plain crazy especially in front of multiple LEO witnesses! Was this cop insane? What in the hell was wrong with him? :notgood:

According to investigators, McDonald was shot 16 times, suffering wounds to his scalp, neck, left chest, right chest, left elbow, left forearm, right upper arm, right hand, right upper leg, left upper back and right lower back. Investigators state that only two of the wounds can be linked to the time McDonald was standing.

Van Dyke prepared to reload his weapon – but at the urging of his partner, who was not identified, he did not fire after reloading the 9-mm semiautomatic, according to the documents.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...d-emotionless-court-arrival-article-1.2445077

I think that this post very eloquently makes my point regarding the need for a LEO forum.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I spoke to a close friend not long ago and we said there should be a website dedicated to cataloging police officers who are convicted of violent felonies and sexual abuse. Not a sensational anti police officer one, but one that lays the facts out straight. We have criminal libraries online for murderers and serial killers, but you're a special kind of evil when you're a criminal police officer and I think it's a category that deserves special attention.

It hit me, watching the video.... it looks as if the Dash Cam Cop, intentionally steers his vehicle to the right, obscuring the shooter, and other officers, out of the dash cam view, and keeps going right, it really pretty much looks as if he wanted to get the victim out of dash cam view.... but, he was already down.... incredible.....

I don't understand how he still had a police job afterwards.

I would not object to such a forum but I would hope that the victims of the shootings would continue to have their own threads in the "regular" part of web sleuths. I think that they deserve it, and I think their names should be in thread titles.
I was very surprised the first time I visited one of these threads (I believe it was Freddie Gray) and there was so much victim blaming going on. In other threads, anyone who tried to start a discussion about whether a murder victim deserved to be murdered would be shut down immediately.
I have so many thoughts on this but they are not sorted out yet so I will stop there. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and we all find things to be grateful for. I am grateful that it is not yet fully acceptable in our society to shoot a troubled teenager 16 times for perhaps puncturing a tire, or carrying a knife that had either a 3 or a 4 inch blade, depending on reports. I am so grateful to all those who speak out for "the least of us"

ETA: I hope it is clear that by referring to "the least of us" I was not putting myself above anyone else, but rather quoting scripture:
Whatsoever you do unto the least of my brothers, you do unto me
Matthew 25:40

Only just seen video will go back and read rest of thread but does anybody know what was kicked out of his hand

I think this is a wonderful idea. I spoke to a close friend not long ago and we said there should be a website dedicated to cataloging police officers who are convicted of violent felonies and sexual abuse. Not a sensational anti police officer one, but one that lays the facts out straight. We have criminal libraries online for murderers and serial killers, but you're a special kind of evil when you're a criminal police officer and I think it's a category that deserves special attention.

This isn't exactly what you're talking about, but have you seen it? It's a continuously updated tracker. It breaks the killings down by state, race, age, gender, armed or unarmed, etc.

The Counted
People killed by police in the US

I agree. In my previous experience in criminal defense, the vast majority of LE I encountered were professional and good at their job. However, the bad apples out there not only spoil the perception of LE, they are a danger to the public. I think there is value in tracking these things, and hope there is better reform in reporting colleagues and in IAB investigations so that we can prevent more of these incidents from happening.

Only just seen video will go back and read rest of thread but does anybody know what was kicked out of his hand

It's a knife he was carrying when he was running down the road. There are varying reports of how big it was, whether it was open or shut, and whether or not he had it in his hand or pocket. I can clearly see the knife, blade out causing a reflective glint on the dash cam video, and it looks larger than 3" to me. But that's just me.

All those police on the scene,armed and perfectly capable of neutralizing any threat Laquan McDonald could have reasonably posed
yet Van Dyke opened fire with a vengeance,a steady stream of bullets torn through young Laquan's flesh.I know Chicago's a flipp'in war zone and being a cop is tough,but this is overwhelmingly wrong in every possible way.

I thought the Michael Brown thing in Ferguson was based on lies and blown way out of proportion by a bunch of "activists" looking for a cause regardless of the actual facts.I believe the black lives matter movement is more about division than making things right....But having said all that,living here in the Chicago area it's tempting to stand shoulder to shoulder out in the streets with those peacefully protesting the the cold blooded murder of Laquan McDonald.

The freelance journalist whose lawsuit forced the Chicago Police Department to release video of a fatal police shooting of a black teenager says he was barred from attending a news conference with the mayor and police superintendent on Tuesday.

Dozens of journalists were gathered inside Chicago’s Police Headquarters on Tuesday, listening to Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy discuss the shooting of the teenager, Laquan McDonald, 17. Absent was Brandon Smith, the freelance journalist whose lawsuit over the summer had pressed for the release of the police dashboard camera video.

“The worst part about being barred from the press conference that my lawsuit precipitated is that I can’t ask Rahm questions about it,” he wrote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/u...RelatedCoverage®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article

Barring Brandon Smith from the news conference was a childish and retaliatory act imo. The mayor and police superintendent have now communicated their future expectations to subordinates and the public.

They are not imo the right people, in the right job at the right time - they are part of the problem by putting personal and childish views ahead of the corrective measures required at this time - and will continue to do so imo. Seems to me that their personal views come first over that of the public they are paid by.

Poor leadership and accounts for the lack of charges before the order to release the video imo.

At the first opportunity Mayor Emanuel and Police Superintendent McCarthy had to address the public after the release of the video, they left the journalist that won the release of the video standing outside and unable to ask questions.

Yet the Mayor said the following -

"I believe this a moment that can build bridges of understanding rather than become a barrier of misunderstanding," the mayor said.

Yet community activist William Calloway says he hasn't seen any evidence that such bridges are in the works. Instead, he pointed Wednesday to what he called a record of city officials not being transparent -- as illustrated in the city's fight, which he and journalist Brandon Smith challenged in court, not to release the McDonald dashcam video -- and not doing right by Chicago's black community.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/25/us/laquan-mcdonald-chicago-shooting-main/index.html

Imo, nothing will change with Emanuel and McCarthy around.

Here's How The Laquan McDonald Shooting Differs From What Police Said Happened
Chicago officials released video of McDonald's death on Tuesday after a judge ordered them to do so.

Sam Levine
Associate Politics Editor, The Huffington Post
Posted: 11/25/2015 10:56 AM EST

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry..._5655ca26e4b08e945fea9488?utm_hp_ref=politics

“Dashcam footage released on Tuesday of a white police officer shooting a black Chicago teen 16 times has called police officers' version of events into question.

After the October 2014 killing, Pat Camden, a spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police, told the Chicago Tribune that 17-year-old Laquan McDonald had lunged at the officers with a knife, prompting one of them to open fire. He also said that the officers had asked McDonald to drop the knife and were waiting for other officers with stun guns to arrive on the scene.

Camden said McDonald had a "crazed" look when he approached officers with a knife. NBC Chicago said police described the incident as "a clear-cut case of self defense."

“The officers are responding to somebody with a knife in a crazed condition, who stabs out tires on a vehicle and tires on a squad car. You obviously aren’t going to sit down and have a cup of coffee with them,” Camden told CBS Chicago after the incident. “He is a very serious threat to the officers, and he leaves them no choice at that point but to defend themselves.”​

The original Chicago Tribune article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-shootings-violence-20141021-story.html

Cops: Boy, 17, fatally shot by officer after refusing to drop knife

Officers remained in their car and followed McDonald as he walked south on Pulaski Road. More officers arrived and police tried to box the teen in with two squad cars, Camden said. McDonald punctured one of the squad car's front passenger-side tires and damaged the front windshield, police and Camden said.

Officers got out of their car and began approaching McDonald, again telling him to drop the knife, Camden said. The boy allegedly lunged at police, and one of the officers opened fire.

As with all Chicago police-involved shootings, the Independent Police Review Authority was investigating.​

This is why it's hard to believe LE when they say Jamar Clark engaged in a struggle while trying to seize an officer's weapon. Who knows it that matches up with what actually happened?

This is why it's hard to believe LE when they say Jamar Clark engaged in a struggle while trying to seize an officer's weapon. Who knows it that matches up with what actually happened?

Exactly bluesneakers - the head of the police union in Minneapolis is making all the statements regarding what happened as did the police union in this case. What's with that?

Imo, rule of thumb should be - don't believe what anyone from a police union tells you.

Regarding Lequan spinning in the video. Do we know if that occured just befkre he was struck by a bullet or after he was struck by a bullet? I originally thought that spin was a result of having been shot, but now I am unsure.

ABC7 aired a squad.car with a flat tire yesterday. I'm going to assume that video wasn't staged.

Do you have a link for this? Not seeing any more footage than the actual shooting. A random picture of a squad car with a flat tire? Or the tire LM allegedly flattened in 2014?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
31Deeds
Back