IL - Larry Southwood & Kimberly Riordan for sex abuse of disabled 14yo girl, 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Will County officials say they've never seen a crime like this one: A Wilmington woman is accused of accepting $10,000 from a convicted sex offender to keep quiet about the fact that the man was repeatedly raping her disabled, teenage daughter.

WBBM Suburban Bureau chief Julie Mann reports one of the complaints against 32-year-old Kimberly Riordan says she was warned about Larry Southwood's past sex crimes.

According the Will County State's Attorney's office, Southwood has been convicted of rape and kidnapping, attempted murder, and in 1992, he was charged with having sexual relations with his daughter resulting in the births of two children. Over the objections of prosecutors, he was sentenced to 30 months probation for that offense and there was no mandatory sex offender registry in place.
http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/2266.php

mysteriew said:
Southwood has been convicted of rape and kidnapping, attempted murder, and in 1992, he was charged with having sexual relations with his daughter resulting in the births of two children.
Resulting in 2 births, his own daughter....I am speechless

mysteriew said:
Over the objections of prosecutors, he was sentenced to 30 months probation for that offense and there was no mandatory sex offender registry in place.
ONLY GOT 30 MONTHS PROBATION!!!! And NO MANDATORY SEX OFFENDER REGISTRY IN PLACE.

Unbelievable!

This lady who allowed this to happen to her child has 3 other children!
Oh my, I wonder what happened to them, if he did it to them too???

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/top/4_1_JO13_SOUTHWOOD_S1.htm

The whereabouts of the disabled teen's father is not known, Glasgow said, and he might be in Mexico. It was not clear if the man fathered all three of Riordan's children.

More info on priors:

Southwood's criminal past includes convictions for rape, attempted murder and sexual relations within families.

He was charged with raping one victim and assaulting another victim with intent to commit robbery in 1961 in Peoria County. He pleaded the charges down to rape and was sentenced to nine years, though he served less time.

In 1969, Southwood pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of a woman in Fulton County. He approached the woman's disabled vehicle and asked if she needed help, according to court papers. He stabbed the woman several times, but was scared off by the approaching headlights of a tow truck the woman had called for assistance. Southwood was sentenced to 15 to 16 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

In 1992, Southwood was arrested for passing his daughter off as his wife. The daughter, 22 years his junior, now lives in Braidwood, but says she has limited contact with her two children fathered by her father. Southwood was sentenced to probation in that case.

I ran the dau. and the man's names and couldn't find the previous articles, but I think that this is the same guy who is currently is having his DNA tested against DNA found at the Riley Fox crime scene.
What is new, is the info that the mother was allegedly aware of the abuse, and was being paid to keep quiet.

From Christine's link:
Southwood's DNA was recently shipped off to be tested against samples taken from the body of Riley Fox, the 3-year-old Wilmington girl found slain in June 2004. Still, Southwood is not really on the radar, said Pat Barry, spokesman for the sheriff's department.

"He is not considered a suspect at all," Barry said.

Hmmmm......

No, not a suspect. They are just paying to have his DNA tested, out of curiosity. Right. (scarcasm intended).

mysteriew said:
No, not a suspect. They are just paying to have his DNA tested, out of curiosity. Right. (scarcasm intended).

Right! LOL.

Looking at that guy's picture, I cannot imagine hiring him to watch any child of mine! He is creepy looking.

I'm sorry, but why would you EVER hire a man to babysit your child unless it is ckose family. I don't know too many men in this world that wants to babysit. It is hard enough at times to have them watch their own.

Ok I live in this town and could say a few things about the people involved. But that would be slander. Just see the Joliet Herald Newspaper today and you will learn all you need to about this mother. You will also be surprised to learn how this poor child go to be in the wheelchair to begin with. I can not beleive these children even lived with this thing they call a mother. I am computer dumb and not sure how to attach the link but it is a very informative article.

christine2448 said:
This lady who allowed this to happen to her child has 3 other children!
Oh my, I wonder what happened to them, if he did it to them too???

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/top/4_1_JO13_SOUTHWOOD_S1.htm

The whereabouts of the disabled teen's father is not known, Glasgow said, and he might be in Mexico. It was not clear if the man fathered all three of Riordan's children.

More info on priors:

Southwood's criminal past includes convictions for rape, attempted murder and sexual relations within families.

He was charged with raping one victim and assaulting another victim with intent to commit robbery in 1961 in Peoria County. He pleaded the charges down to rape and was sentenced to nine years, though he served less time.

In 1969, Southwood pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of a woman in Fulton County. He approached the woman's disabled vehicle and asked if she needed help, according to court papers. He stabbed the woman several times, but was scared off by the approaching headlights of a tow truck the woman had called for assistance. Southwood was sentenced to 15 to 16 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

In 1992, Southwood was arrested for passing his daughter off as his wife. The daughter, 22 years his junior, now lives in Braidwood, but says she has limited contact with her two children fathered by her father. Southwood was sentenced to probation in that case.
This is the article I was referring to.

Mother and abuser met at a TRUCK STOP? What was SHE doing there? :furious: Prostitute maybe? Ugh

The teen's condition might have been worsened by injuries suffered in a November 2001 car wreck, Glasgow said. Riordan was behind the wheel on Sunset Drive at Hamilton Street in Wilmington when she crossed into oncoming traffic and slammed into a ditch. Her then-10-year-old daughter and her son were in the car. They were not properly restrained, officials said, and both were seriously injured in the crash.

The daughter suffered a fractured right femur and a fractured left hip, which required surgery to repair. Her son suffered a broken jaw, which had to be wired shut during surgery.

Riordan was charged with aggravated driving under the influence in connection with the accident. She pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 30 months probation, which ended in July. Riordan and Southwood

crash676 said:
Ok I live in this town and could say a few things about the people involved. But that would be slander. Just see the Joliet Herald Newspaper today and you will learn all you need to about this mother. You will also be surprised to learn how this poor child go to be in the wheelchair to begin with. I can not beleive these children even lived with this thing they call a mother. I am computer dumb and not sure how to attach the link but it is a very informative article.
Hey crash! To post a link....take your mouse and point it over the address bar at the address of the page you are wanting others to see. Right click, choose copy, then in the message you are posting, right click your mouse where you want the link to appear and choose paste.

Try it and tell me if my directions make sense.

SewingDeb said:
Looking at that guy's picture, I cannot imagine hiring him to watch any child of mine! He is creepy looking.
Here is pic of mom who allowed this to happen:

JO13_SOUTHWOOD_P1.jpg

Here is pic of the that raped this girl!
JO13_SOUTHWOOD_P2.jpg

bugs said:
I'm sorry, but why would you EVER hire a man to babysit your child unless it is ckose family. I don't know too many men in this world that wants to babysit. It is hard enough at times to have them watch their own.
Or to take it a step further, why would you hire a man you met at a TRUCK STOP to babysit your kids? Doesn't the state help find care for disabled children, especially if they live in disadvantaged families? :confused:

captain exposition said:
Or to take it a step further, why would you hire a man you met at a TRUCK STOP to babysit your kids? Doesn't the state help find care for disabled children, especially if they live in disadvantaged families? :confused:
I'm sure she's claiming she hired him to babysit, but the truth of the matter is that she was pimping her daughter out.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I'm sure she's claiming she hired him to babysit, but the truth of the matter is that she was pimping her daughter out.
I just re-read everything and I guess I was being niave. That does appear to be what she was doing. I can't even imagine the circumstances that lead to even the discussion of such an arrangement. How does something like that ever come up? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back