IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Lord, the ONLY people talking about sucide sre those who are angry about it. Can we please move on and discuss other aspects of the case?

An unforgettable case, 10 year old Jessica Ridgeway of CO was on her way to school early one morning but never showed up.
It was as if she just disappeared into thin air.
LE went throughout her neighborhood knocking on doors and searched residences and took DNA samples.

Austin Sigg lived with his mother in another neighborhood so I don't believe his DNA was on file but other evidence led to him. Since LE had DNA to compare, they collected his sample and it turned out the match.

In the meantime, all those other people gave their DNA.
If they were poi's for any reason, they were outruled prior to the arrest of AS.
Most people cooperate but when they don't or won't, I believe it is like you suggest, they end up looking suspicious.

Anyway, there was another case I remember when LE set up a long table outside a shopping area or Village Hall and male residents walking by were asked to submit a DNA sample.
Most cooperated because they wanted to help solve the case and had nothing to hide.

Therefore, it seems the procedure is allowable for LE to carry out.
Does anyone know the law or policy behind when LE resorts to deliberately collecting citizens' DNA samples?

If asked everyone has a legal right to say 'no' however most who have nothing to hide will willingly give the DNA sample so they can be ruled out.

If the DNA sample is wanted by LE on a person who will not agree to give one if they are arrested then of course the DA will go before a Judge and he/she will sign off on an order that the suspect must give a DNA sample along with a collection of head and pubic hairs most of the time.
'
However; police are getting much more smarter in legal ways to obtain DNA. If anyone throws something in a trash can in a public area it can be picked up by LE to be tested for a DNA profile. Many suspects today are being arrested because the police had them under surveillance to see if they would throw anything away and they did leading to a DNA profile match. Many times they have gotten DNA from a throwaway coffee cup, cigarette etc. Once they have a DNA match then of course an arrest is made. I have seen them still go before the Judge and ask for a DNA profile once the suspect in jail. That cuts down on any defense attorney saying the DNA sample may have been contaminated when the item was tossed in the trash.

Anyone's personal trash become public property once the trashcan is sat out on the curb for the garbage man to pick up. The owner of the trash no longer has rights to what they threw away.

So imo, if LE has any suspicions about any suspects if they want to collect their DNA they will find a way even if they declined to give their DNA sample.

IMO

I am from that area, I know a lot of LE that worked the case. To clarify facts, LE did not take DNA from everyone who's home they searched. Austin Sigg was 17, and the FBI profiling the case, said they were looking for a male, adult between 25-35. They solved the case because Sigg's mother turned him in. Not through obtaining his DNA, which he gave to them after confessing to the crime. Nor did they tie him to it through any other means other than his mom noticing something, questioning him, him telling her, and then her calling the police. After his mom called the police during an initial search of his mother's home they found some of Jessica's body parts. The DNA wasn't really needed at that point.

I just googled "mass DNA by police" also referred to as DNA sweeps.
Many interesting links come up on the subject.

Then I googled something else and fbi.gov came up so I clicked and Lt. Gliniewicz's picture was the first thing I saw. The screen flips through three or four images/cases. When his picture came back around I clicked on it and it took me directly to the form one would fill out if they had a tip or useful info to submit. Since I did not, I backed out of there.

I am from that area, I know a lot of LE that worked the case. To clarify facts, LE did not take DNA from everyone who's home they searched. Austin Sigg was 17, and the FBI profiling the case, said they were looking for a male, adult between 25-35. They solved the case because Sigg's mother turned him in. Not through obtaining his DNA, which he gave to them after confessing to the crime. Nor did they tie him to it through any other means other than his mom noticing something, questioning him, him telling her, and then her calling the police. After his mom called the police during an initial search of his mother's home they found some of Jessica's body parts. The DNA wasn't really needed at that point.

Thanks for your input. Sorry if I stated the details from JR's case wrong. Sigg was 17 anyway. My point was her's was a case that came to mind when DNA collection took place. No judgment or opinion on my part.

As far as Lt. CG's case goes, contact the different media outlets because some of them made it sound as if LE went around collecting DNA samples today. One outlet reported dozens and dozens and another reported over 50 samples had been collected earlier today.
Again, no judgment from me if it helps solve the case.

Don't jump all over posts though please because this isn't a fight but is starting to feel like one is brewing around here.
I, like others, am trying to participate is all.

There's lots of other missing persons cases going on right now, take a break for awhile and look into some of them.

We aren't going to hear much more on this case until they get those videos enhanced, analyzed and public. The presser was a disappointment today. Maybe over the weekend they will release stills shots from the cameras.

Sounds right to me, steelman. Thank you so much for the great map and the screen caps of the location. It sounds like it may have been a drug deal going down type scenario. So, speculating that one or two of the three may have been there with a quantity of drugs that would be trouble for them to lose or get caught with in a car. Either one or two of them may have been buyers who chose to meet the dealer there, out of sight and possibly locals who knew the area, I agree with you there too. The commuter train being so close to the back of the old plant may mean something, if one or two of them took a train there. I agree with you about the Lt. Gliniewicz not sounding like he was heading into an unpredictable situation until the perps tried to avoid him.

If there was a deal going down with a supply involved, then maybe the chase was a way to get him off the track of the area of the deal and isolated, so the dealer/s could get back to their car, while the local buyer/s hoofed it back to someplace close by where they went unnoticed, as you suggest. All that being said, if the videos could help in identifying them and haven't yet been made available to the public to help with tips, could it be that LE may not want to tip off the perps.

steelman's map for Lt. "GI Joe" Fox Lake

Sounds right to me, steelman. Thank you so much for the map and the screen caps of the location. It sounds like it may have been a drug deal going down type scenario. So, one or two of the three may have been there with a quantity of drugs that would be trouble for them to lose or get caught with in a car. Either one or two of them may have been buyers who chose to meet the dealer there, out of sight and possibly locals who knew the area, I agree with you there too. I agree with you about the Lt. Gliniewicz not sounding like he was heading into an unpredictable situation until the perps tried to avoid him.

If there was a deal going down with a supply involved, then maybe the chase was a way to get him off the track of the area of the deal and isolated, so the dealer/s could get back to their car, while the local buyer/s hoofed it back to someplace close by where they went unnoticed, as you suggest. All that being said, if the videos could help in identifying them and haven't yet been made available to the public to help with tips, could it be that LE may not want to tip off the perps.

steelman's map for Lt. "GI Joe" Fox Lake

Interesting.

I'll add to your speculation: Maybe there are four suspects. The three he saw (and possibly knew or recognized), and another he didn't see. And that person is the one who was able to surprise him.

I'm talking about point b on the aerial map. It's a bit of a distance from 128. Are you sayin we shouldn't fine tune maps as more detailed information becomes available?
Well, technically, 128 Honing Road would be the gate at which the Officer stopped his car. I believe that is point "J" on steelman's excellent map.

The Prairie Material - Yard 23 (the old cement plant) property consists of 17 acres of land. Officer Gliniewicz's body (or "remains", as Felinko referred to it today) was found on the 128 Honing property in the approximate location shown in steelman's map. Its all 128 Honing. If you look at the map in an enlarged view you can clearly see that Google Maps has further identified the cement plant.

I don't know how to describe it any better. The information is there already. Except there is no signpost that says 128.

An unforgettable case, 10 year old Jessica Ridgeway of CO was on her way to school early one morning but never showed up.
It was as if she just disappeared into thin air.
LE went throughout her neighborhood knocking on doors and searched residences and took DNA samples.

Austin Sigg lived with his mother in another neighborhood so I don't believe his DNA was on file but other evidence led to him. Since LE had DNA to compare, they collected his sample and it turned out the match.

In the meantime, all those other people gave their DNA.
If they were poi's for any reason, they were outruled prior to the arrest of AS.
Most people cooperate but when they don't or won't, I believe it is like you suggest, they end up looking suspicious.

Anyway, there was another case I remember when LE set up a long table outside a shopping area or Village Hall and male residents walking by were asked to submit a DNA sample.
Most cooperated because they wanted to help solve the case and had nothing to hide.

Therefore, it seems the procedure is allowable for LE to carry out.
Does anyone know the law or policy behind when LE resorts to deliberately collecting citizens' DNA samples?

Thanks for your input. Sorry if I stated the details from JR's case wrong. Sigg was 17 anyway. My point was her's was a case that came to mind when DNA collection took place. No judgment or opinion on my part.

As far as Lt. CG's case goes, contact the different media outlets because some of them made it sound as if LE went around collecting DNA samples today. One outlet reports dozens and dozens and another reported over 50 had been collected earlier today.
Again, no judgment from me if it helps solve the case.

Don't jump all over posts though please because this isn't a fight but is starting to feel like one is brewing around here.
I, like others, am trying to participate is all.

Not jumping all over posts, I respect your opinion 100%, it's not about me disliking your post or being in disagreement with you. I am just clarifying what actually took place in a case you brought up that was solved differently than your post suggested. You implied things that were not accurate in how that case was solved thus creatively offering you the opportunity to get your agenda heard about mass DNA collection.

I do not mean to offend, I have a nasty habit of being very logical and I do not see how hysterics over mass DNA collection helps resolve this case or any other for that matter.

I asked a question because I don't know the answer. If the authorities come to your door and tell you that they want to take your DNA, do you have the right to say no? I never said I would say no, or anything like that. And what I meant by a person saying no, I would imagine that people would look at you suspiciously because you said no to the request.

Okay and I am sorry.
No excuses or "but"s, I am sorry for being obnoxious.

I've been lurking so far, but just wanted to say how great it is to have locals on the thread. It's always helpful to have local insight and information. Thank you!

From the link:

"The videos came overnight from several sources, including the Lake County Division of Transportation. Filenko said transportation officials had the foresight to preserve video from one of their intersection cameras. Agents from FBI’s Chicago field office are going to piece those videos together in chronological order, Filenko said.

Filenko wouldn’t comment on their content, but said there is a 'commonality' among them."

<p>
U
Well, technically, 128 Honing Road would be the gate at which the Officer stopped his car. I believe that is point &quot;J&quot; on steelman&#39;s excellent map. The Prairie Material - Yard 23 (the old cement plant) property consists of 17 acres of land. Officer Gliniewicz&#39;s body (or &quot;remains&quot;, as Felinko referred to it today) was found on the 128 Honing property in the approximate location shown in steelman&#39;s map. Its all 128 Honing. If you look at the map in an enlarged view you can clearly see that Google Maps has further identified the cement plant. I don&#39;t know how to describe it any better. The information is there already. Except there is no signpost that says 128.
Let me explain. POINT B was added because 100 Honing was originally believed to be tbe crime scene. POINT B is closer to the intersection of Precision. We now know POINTJ is the location of the shooting/crime scen and closer to the former plant as well as closer to a parking lot area. For the map to be more accurate, POINT B should be removed and POINT J should be updated to reflect the location of tbe shooting as that is the update on tbe newly released link for FBI tips. It&#39;s not unusual to update changes like that because it gives us a better idea of where the perps were escaping from. And it gives us a better idea of tbe distance between Precision Chrome (owner interviewed on msm as a possible witness) and the crime scene. Which we know isa greater djstance than when it was believed the crime scene was at POINT B. I hope that makes sense, because I don&#39;t think I could make it more clear. My apologies for not being clear in my earlier post.</p>
<p>
&nbsp;</p>
<p>
ETA I should have reviewd STEELMANS map before replying. POINT J is in the opposite direction from 128 Honing. J is probably in the 80 or 90 block. There is no mark at 128 Honing so in order to include the crime scene on the map a POINT for 128 needs to be added. That is if steel wants to update his map. He doesn&#39;t &nbsp;have to.</p>

Until today's presser, I had heard nothing about a reward. Motorola Solutions is one of the few remaining pieces of a long local company, headquartered an hour south in Schaumburg. Motorola had a big presence in Libertyville until recently, a half hour southeast. There are still many Motorola employees/ex-employees in the area. It was a little strange to see the Motorola exec at the presser, but not too much of a stretch. Felt a bit like sticking their nose in the spotlight with some money, but I'm certainly not saying they shouldn't do it.

I'm just getting caught up on the thread so this may have already been pointed out, but Motorola Solutions is the main player in communications systems for LE and other Public Safety organizations (for example-911 call centers). Their clients include governments, local municipalities and other organizations from all over the world. I have a very close and adored family member who works there, formerly as an engineer designing these various systems, and currently in an executive position. I commend them for offering the reward and feel it is a great act of corporate responsibility.
Just one sampling from their website...

"Motorola’s Integrated Command and Control solutions enhance incident management and resolution by automating workflows and data retrieval, so you stay focused on the information at hand to act with speed and decisiveness.

Empower your citizens with new ways to reach 9-1-1 during an emergency, even when voice calling is not an option. Embrace next-generation technology with authentic integration of voice, data and video so you can respond smarter and faster to incidents as they occur.

With evolving communications technologies, your ability to manage a new kind of call for help brings added complexity and challenges in responsiveness. Rely on the global leader in public safety solutions to transform the way your agency receives, analyzes, responds to and resolves an incident with a true end-to-end application — designed for you."

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/dispatch.html

There weren't any follow-up questions asked of the reporter nor did the reporter elaborate - she simply slipped in a comment about LE looking into something up in Wisconsin.
Since then I haven't heard Wisconsin mentioned again during further news reports on abc or other channels.
First I've heard too. Wisconsin is only 20 min to the north and Fox Lake borders the state line. I've seen WI LE and MSM in the area since the beginning.

Am watching the CBS news and they stated and spoke to two individuals from a condo complex. They stated LE came and showed them a picture of an African American, asking them if they knew him. The reporter stated that LE sources have stated several photos have been put together through leads. They then said its unknown where the photo came from or how it is connected.

No link as this just aired on the 8am news.

Am watching the CBS news and they stated and spoke to two individuals from a condo complex. They stated LE came and showed them a picture of an African American, asking them if they knew him. The reporter stated that LE sources have stated several photos have been put together through leads. They then said its unknown where the photo came from or how it is connected.

No link as this just aired on the 8am news.
Very interesting and a little confusing. If they have picture(s), why not broadcast them? Unless it might spook a local to flee. Any clue from the report specifically when the pictures were shown to the condo people? Or where the condo was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member