IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cannot figure out why they won't release any images from the surveillance video, or the images they're reportedly going around town with. I can only think of a few things that would make sense.

1) if the suspects are high school students or juveniles

2) if they already know who the suspects are and are monitoring their whereabouts while they collect more evidence as to their involvement. Therefore, they dont need the public's help.

3) if they really don't have anything to go on and are just following up on leads they receive.

I hope it's #2. They already know who the suspects are and they're just trying to dot all their i's and cross all their t's.

Jmo

They are repeatedly asking for the public's help. The FBI is asking for the publics help.

Imo they are developing leads and a chronological video timeline as they are trying to not only identify the suspects, but also tie the suspects to the crime scene.

They can't just show anyone's pictures to the public until they have more information, or I think they open themselves up to multiple law suits.

Wait......WHAT???? This is stranger and stranger. What internal investigation? It sure would help to know at least a couple of details. "If" his gun was taken away from him, were there signs of a struggle.
And reference dash cams in patrol cars.....do we know if he drove a marked or unmarked patrol car? Usually the unmarked cars do not have dash cams. I don't see why it would have hurt to answer that question.

Wait......WHAT???? This is stranger and stranger. What internal investigation? It sure would help to know at least a couple of details. "If" his gun was taken away from him, were there signs of a struggle.
And reference dash cams in patrol cars.....do we know if he drove a marked or unmarked patrol car? Usually the unmarked cars do not have dash cams. I don't see why it would have hurt to answer that question.

IIRC, early on, when news media interviewed the employee/owner of the Precision Car place near that crime scene, he said he saw the officer's car that morning. The reporter asked him if the car was marked or unmarked, and he answered it was marked. The link to this interview is up thread, I am sorry I don't have it handy.

Fox Lake appoints new police leadership
By Lauren Zumbach, The News-Sun / Chicago Tribune
Sunday, September 6th '15

The village of Fox Lake has appointed a new interim chief and deputy chief of police to lead a department that within two weeks saw the launch of an internal investigation, resignation of its chief and the fatal shooting of a police lieutenant, officials announced Saturday.

RSBM. Also within that two week timline mentioned above was a 90 minute meeting Lt. CG had with the mayor the day before he was fataly shot.

I have to wonder if his shooting is somehow related to the internal investigation. That might explain why no additional information about the suspects has been released to the public.

Thanks for the info. Dash cams never run all the time. They usually are set to come on when the blue lights come on or when an officer manually turns theirs on.
Has there been anything in the media recently about the investigation? It throws a new slant on possibilities.
Would be nice to know if the officer drove down there every morning prior to work checking around.
Can't say where my mind is going with this. My hubby is retired LEO and I can't stop thinking about this case.

I posted a link and info about the internal investigation upthread. I will find the post and bump it, if I can find it. The internal investigation doesn't appear to be related on tbe surface. It has something to do with a discipline issue regarding the former chief and a different, not Lt. CG, officer.

Thanks for the info. Dash cams never run all the time. They usually are set to come on when the blue lights come on or when an officer manually turns theirs on.
Wonder who the reporting person was who started the investigation, like a whistle blower....that can be very dangerous when you're talking about people's jobs.
Would be nice to know if the officer drove down there every morning prior to work checking around.
Can't say where my mind is going with this. My hubby is retired LEO and I can't stop thinking about this case.

Wonder who the reporting person was who started the investigation, like a whistle blower....that can be very dangerous when you're talking about people's jobs.

Also in that interview from the guy from Precision Car, he mentioned that an officer would check that area everyday. Don't know if it was the same officer everyday. Certainly didn't seem out of the ordinary that this area was checked.

Information regarding the Fox Lake Chief of Police retirement last Friday.

Those plans weren't mentioned last week, however, when Village Administrator Anne Marrin announced Behan and an unidentified police officer had been placed on paid administrative leave after the launch of an investigation into a physical confrontation between the officer and a suspect in December 2014.

The following link is dated 08/26/15

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150826/news/150829062/

Found it. This has some info about the internal investigation. If the link is pay to vjew, try google. The daily herald updates to pay only relatively quickly.

I was able to find the link to the interview with the local employee that saw the officer's car that morning. Poster looking4OHP posted it early on in the case. The employee mentions the car was marked and LE routinely patrolled that area. You have to scroll down in the article to get the video.

http://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/video-fox-lake-man-watched-aftermath-cops-murder-unfold

RSBM. Also within that two week timline mentioned above was a 90 minute meeting Lt. CG had with the mayor the day before he was fataly shot.
At the memorial/candle light vigil, on stage the mayor talked about this meeting and Joe's main concern being that the Explorer program was cared for and continuing.

Links about Fox Lake, IL

http://www.dailyherald.com/community/fox-lake/

http://www.foxlake.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/1040

http://www.foxlake.org/155/Newsletters

http://patch.com/illinois/crystalla...-gliniewciz-family-fox-lake-police-department

http://foxlakepost300.homestead.com/

Can anybody find any news related articles about the state of politics in Fox Lake prior to the shooting of Lt. CJG?
Or do these issues escape scrutiny in small towns?

Last night the report I heard (no proof) was the most recent Police Chief had RETIRED (versus any controversy taking place within the department as suggested) during the week leading up to the shooting - a head tilt moment due to prior knowledge.

Found it. This has some info about the internal investigation. If the link is pay to vjew, try google. The daily herald updates to pay only relatively quickly.

Thanks Cubby. Putting months with last year and/or prior months into google hasn't brought anything relevant up for me.

On another note, yesterday I received a phone call from somebody who lives in Antioch.
As far as I knew she lived in Wisconsin but she had moved to Antioch recently.
After we talked awhile regarding the purpose of her call, I inquired if she was (I expected some emotion, intrigue or interest on her part) aware of the shooting in Fox Lake.
She replied she was aware but that was about it - no concern or anything noted.
Okay.:thinking:

I asked how much time it takes to drive from Fox Lake's High School to the high school in Antioch. She estimated twenty to thirty minutes and did not seem aware the services are taking place in Antioch tomorrow.
After I informed her they are taking place at the HS, she thought maybe because Antioch High School is located on a corner and will be easier to monitor traffic and security.
Does anybody think there may be other reasons to hold services in another town?

Links about Fox Lake, IL

http://www.dailyherald.com/community/fox-lake/

http://www.foxlake.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/1040

http://www.foxlake.org/155/Newsletters

http://patch.com/illinois/crystalla...-gliniewciz-family-fox-lake-police-department

http://foxlakepost300.homestead.com/

Can anybody find any news related articles about the state of politics in Fox Lake prior to the shooting of Lt. CJG?
Or do these issues escape scrutiny in small towns?

Last night the report I heard (no proof) was the most recent Police Chief had RETIRED (versus any controversy taking place within the department as suggested) during the week leading up to the shooting - a head tilt moment due to prior knowledge.

Well, the truth is he DID retire. He had been with the department for 31 years. At the very very end, one of his officers was accused of some kind of misconduct during an arrest. Internal Affairs came in to see if the Captain was looking the oyher way, or was involved or was acting appropriately or not. But none of that changes the fact that he retired. Plenty of people retire with a black mark or two after 30+ years in a highly stressful, difficult job. JMO

Thanks Cubby. Putting months with last year and/or prior months into google hasn't brought anything relevant up for me.

On another note, yesterday I received a phone call from somebody who lives in Antioch.
As far as I knew she lived in Wisconsin but had moved to Antioch recently.
After was talked awhile regarding the purpose of her call, I inquired if she was (I expected some emotion or intrigue or interest on her part) aware of the shooting in Fox Lake.
She replied she was aware but that was about it - no concern or anything noted.
Okay.:thinking:

I asked how much time does is take to drive from Fox Lake's High School to the high school in Antioch. She estimated twenty to thirty minutes and did not seem aware the services are taking place in Antioch tomorrow. After I informed her they were she guessed maybe because Antioch High School is located on a corner and will be easier to monitor traffic and security.
Does anybody think there may be any other reason to hold services in another town?
Iirc Antioch is a straighter route if driving north/east.

If there is suspicion that the three shooters were students at Fox Lake High School, then I bet his wife did not want his service held there. I wouldn't.

I asked how much time it takes to drive from Fox Lake's High School to the high school in Antioch. She estimated twenty to thirty minutes and did not seem aware the services are taking place in Antioch tomorrow.
After I informed her they are taking place at the HS, she thought maybe because Antioch High School is located on a corner and will be easier to monitor traffic and security.
Does anybody think there may be other reasons to hold services in another town?
14 minutes from Antioch Community High School to Grant Community High School on the route being used for the procession.

Fox Lake and Antioch border each other. I've heard around the community that the Gliniewicz family has ties to Antioch. I don't know for sure, but some combination of Joe attending grade school and/or high school and/or the family living in Antioch. He worked for Fox Lake, but didn't necessarily live there.

Well, the truth is he DID retire. He had been with the department for 31 years. At the very very end, one of his officers was accused of some kind of misconduct during an arrest. Internal Affairs came in to see if the Captain was looking the oyher way, or was involved or was acting appropriately or not. But none of that changes the fact that he retired. Plenty of people retire with a black mark or two after 30+ years in a highly stressful, difficult job. JMO

Thanks for the explanation.
It just seems like officials are running into some bad luck near to or just after their retirements.
The circumstances are a bit curious but certainly not proven to be related to the shooting.

If good reporters exist, shouldn't they at least be investigating if there could be a connection?
Questions have to be asked and shouldn't be automatically taken as accusations.

14 minutes from Antioch Community High School to Grant Community High School on the route being used for the procession.

Fox Lake and Antioch border each other. I've heard around the community that the Gliniewicz family has ties to Antioch. I don't know for sure, but some combination of Joe attending grade school and/or high school and/or the family living in Antioch. He worked for Fox Lake, but didn't necessarily live there.

That could be, or maybe the Antioch school is bigger then the Fox Lake school, and that way they can accommodate the people better.

That could be, or maybe the Antioch school is bigger then the Fox Lake school, and that way they can accommodate the people better.
Current enrollments are Grant: 1927, Antioch: 1327. They are similar in size and facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member