IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And why wouldn't Lt.Gliniewicz keep on working with the Explorer group after he retired? Why would he be concerned about this group continuing after he was "gone"? That right there is a red flag to me. I wonder how many LE and public officials privately suspect suicide?

Your above question was and has been my first reaction. Now with so much contradictory information, sources that don't really exist........ I find myself questioning whether Lt. CG really said that to the mayor?

I'm questioning everything right now.

He went to that spot purposefully. At what point on his way TO work did he see 3 suspicious males? Did he have some information that someone would be there? Could he have been meeting someone there? Could he have known that something suspicious was going to happen there? Did his purpose in going there have nothing to do with crime-fighting? What if he went there to meet someone and was surprised to see more than one, got suspicious for his own safety and reported seeing 3 males? When I said "hit" I was not thinking MOB, rather, some other type of gangster, or even a colleague. If he was there on a personal mission, something that he did not want to share, when it started to get weird on him is that when he reported the 3 people? If so, the three people could be a story. Alternatively, perhaps he did plan his suicide and tried to cover it by reporting 3 people in the area. YES this is all speculation because without evidence of 3 people it is just as possible that there were not 3 people there, nor another gun. I AM leaning toward suicide until more evidence is developed. JMO

Possibly, this is all so convoluted because the purpose was to cover up his suicide, for obvious reasons. BIG THANKS to Big Bread! Great post.! JMO

BigBread:I'm also a bit south of the area but used to live on E. Grand. From his home address: Grasslake Rd. to State Park etc. is the easiest route. I wouldn't take Rt. 59.Taking Rollins to Devlin beats going directly through the morning congestion and then past the High School on Grand (132)

He was driving a patrol car from home, I'm not aware of any requirement that they have to stop and check in at the Police Station before taking any action.

First post, long time lurker.

I have been following this case and was suspicious of the three-suspected-murderers scenario from the start.

I don't believe anyone else has mentioned this yet.

During the funeral Gliniewicz's friend claimed he would run two miles and then smoke a cigarette.

Two packs of Marlboroughs can be seen on his visor in the picture of Gliniewiscz sitting in his cruiser and turning to smile.

I think he was probably a long-time, heavy smoker and I wonder if he recently was diagnosed with lung cancer.

He might have thought if he was going to die soon from cancer he might as well make his death look like it was in the line of duty so his family got more benefits. And if he was retiring soon he had a limited amount of time left to be killed on duty.

This could explain why he shot himself in the chest and not the head as he was hoping any autopsy wouldn't notice cancer in his lungs if it was focused on bullet wounds.

I also don't know how his medical benefits would have worked once he retired. He might have been forced to have a physical to reassess for his retirement medical benefits and knew he would have problems.

They keep changing the supposed start time for his day.

Originally they claimed he was on his way to work and not yet on duty.

It was implied that his duty started at 8:00 but then days later they changed it to say he was on duty and was shot just minutes after his 7:45 duty start time.

I think they changed it because they wanted to be sure he was covered with being considered "killed on duty."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-shooting-search-met-0906-20150905-story.html

Sept 5 - His radio call came in at 7:52 a.m., just minutes after his shift began at 7:45 a.m., Covelli said.

Covelli said he didn't want to speculate about what Gliniewicz's duties were that morning.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ficer-Fatally-Shot-in-Fox-Lake-323826631.html

The first broadcast video report on this page has portions of the Gliniewiscz dispatch recording. Anyone can listen to it. It also has their interpretation of what he is saying.

7:52 AM
6740 = I'm at (inaudible) the old concrete plant, checking on two male white, male black, uh, by the equipment south of Honing.

Dispatch = Ten-4. Did you need a second unit?

6740 = Negative, Dispatch.

7:55 AM
6740 = They took off towards the swamp.

Dispatch = 740, Ten-4, did you need a second unit?

6740 = Yeah, now go ahead and start somebody.

8:01 AM Two backup officers arrive.​

Listen to it yourself, read the article, see what you think?

bbm

That to me means this business.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.388...4!1sjTFtryhY3rxYmA_d5r_jEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is the last business on the right across the rd from Precision Chrome. On the back side of this business is the swamp and it appears to have a dirt rd the leads to the swamp and there is even a bridge, here
https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2!3m1!1s0x880f7805bcb27aab:0x2e0ede61044ec752

IDK That's what I get from that. jmo idk

Your above question was and has been my first reaction. Now with so much contradictory information, sources that don't really exist........ I find myself questioning whether Lt. CG really said that to the mayor?

I'm questioning everything right now.

That, and why CG's gun wasn't taken. And when I logged in yesterday and saw about the retired officer threatening, I almost fell off my chair, never would I have expected that.

That, and why CG's gun wasn't taken. And when I logged in yesterday and saw about the retired officer threatening, I almost fell off my chair, never would I have expected that.

Retired and bitter, out of sight and out of mind. Seeing Lt. Joe go out in a blaze of glory with a funeral fit for a US President.Without solid answers or info at this point, it would be natural for a jealous ex cop to want to shoot holes in Lt. Joe's hero label.

Or maybe a cop with the inside scoop relayed info that made him disgusted so he reacted rashly by calling without considering the consequences.

BigBread:I'm also a bit south of the area but used to live on E. Grand. From his home address: Grasslake Rd. to State Park etc. is the easiest route. I wouldn't take Rt. 59.Taking Rollins to Devlin beats going directly through the morning congestion and then past the High School on Grand (132)

He was driving a patrol car from home, I'm not aware of any requirement that they have to stop and check in at the Police Station before taking any action.

You are right, Night Train. Thank you. That would explain the route that Gliniewicz took.

However, I'm understanding that officers usually start their shift with a 30 minute roll call. But if he saw any suspicious activity on Honing Rd from Rollins (which I'm still questioning), that would give him ample excuse to miss it.

Here's my big thing about why I am seriously skeptical that it may have been suicide.

Being that we do know the weapon used to inflict his gunshot wound has not been located, who would have taken it other than someone who used it to kill him?

I just don't buy that it was someone in on the speculated suicide "plan."

We do know that the financial benefit of being killed in the line of duty is much greater than what it would be if COD was suicide or off duty (or not being killed at all).

We also know that the pension benefits that officers receive upon retirement is awesome (salary, healthcare, other insurance benefits, etc).

WHY would any other officer(s) help cover up a suicide at the risk of their own jobs and pensions? They wouldn't. Absolutely not. The risk is too great and they absolutely would not risk their own livelihood to cover for someone else.

So in that case, it leaves us with this: there is literally zero evidence. No gun, no scents picked up by a single one of the FORTY-EIGHT K9s involved, nada. Zip. Zilch.

Why is there zero evidence of anything?

Because it was by design.

No evidence was left on purpose. By the killer (s) who did a meticulous and nearly impossible job of leaving any forensic evidence behind that we know of at this point.

This was not the work of your garden variety criminal who attacks an officer they encounter. Nope. This was the work of someone very familiar with police procedure, forensics, etc. someone who knew exactly how to leave zero evidence.

So then that begs the question of WHY.

Money seems like a very good motive. And being that the financial benefit yielded from being killed in the line of duty is so massive (versus either not being killed at all or being killed off duty or suicide) careful attention needs to be paid to who now gets to enjoy that money. Who are the players now?

Who would stand to benefit from any money yielded aside from his family members?

That is why I absolutely do not think it was suicide. All IMO of course. It's the most simple and logical explanation.

(edit: I just read that his gun was recovered from the scene and it was fired but not sure by whom yet. So still, IMO, not suicide.)

Sent from my not so humble opinion.

First post, long time lurker.

I have been following this case and was suspicious of the three-suspected-murderers scenario from the start.

I don't believe anyone else has mentioned this yet.

During the funeral Gliniewicz's friend claimed he would run two miles and then smoke a cigarette.

Two packs of Marlboroughs can be seen on his visor in the picture of Gliniewiscz sitting in his cruiser and turning to smile.

I think he was probably a long-time, heavy smoker and I wonder if he recently was diagnosed with lung cancer.

He might have thought if he was going to die soon from cancer he might as well make his death look like it was in the line of duty so his family got more benefits. And if he was retiring soon he had a limited amount of time left to be killed on duty.

This could explain why he shot himself in the chest and not the head as he was hoping any autopsy wouldn't notice cancer in his lungs if it was focused on bullet wounds.

I also don't know how his medical benefits would have worked once he retired. He might have been forced to have a physical to reassess for his retirement medical benefits and knew he would have problems.

Hey Vestigare, that was a really great observation. And this one needs to be checked out. It's a known fact that long term cigarette smoking causes lung cancer. Just the fact that he's a smoker makes health insurance availability after retirement a bigger concern.

My father had lung cancer before he died. And his voice had noticable changes. The same happened to Peter Jennings. From listening to Gliniewicz's last words, I wouldn't doubt that he was suffering from the same thing. Perhaps his voice was naturally low and raspy. Would anyone have an audio or video sample of Gliniewicz's voice from prior months or years?

Here's my big thing about why I am seriously skeptical that it may have been suicide.

Being that we do know the weapon used to inflict his gunshot wound has not been located, who would have taken it other than someone who used it to kill him?

I believe that they did find a gun on the scene, Lt. Gliniewicz's.

And the fact that the coroner, Rudd, did not rule out suicide as a cause of death tells me that he was shot with a .40 caliber bullet; the same as the gun that Gliniewicz was using.

@KristinSchmistin, where has it been stated they know that the gun that killed him has not been located? Everything I have read has stated they do not yet know (or have not yet released) what gun killed him. All I know is that his gun was found near him that morning. Maybe I missed that article.

Kristin is the implication that the killer was a family member, if it was not a suicide? Or did I misunderstand your thoughtful post ? What I got from the post is that the killer would be a beneficiary of the money. IMO THAT would be VERY risky and traumatic for the family. Endless possibilities, but I am not seeing the family member angle. JMO

Kristin is the implication that the killer was a family member, if it was not a suicide? Or did I misunderstand your thoughtful post ? What I got from the post is that the killer would be a beneficiary of the money. IMO THAT would be VERY risky and traumatic for the family. Endless possibilities, but I am not seeing the family member angle. JMO

Nooo not at all- sorry if it looked like that was what I was implying. I do not believe it was a family member. But possibly someone who may be close to the family. Or plans to become close to the family. Or even possibly someone who wanted him dead for some reason (maybe he knew something he shouldn't have or witnessed something go down) and didn't want to see any financial devastation happen to his family.

Or it could have even been someone who just needed him eliminated for some other motive and this was the right place and time (and the financial benefit was of no concern to the killer(s))

I just 100% am against the suicide theory. No one else would risk their own careers, income, and future pensions to do anything that would get them fired and put that all at risk just to ensure someone else's family got way more $$.

And for what it's worth a suicide would not negate some financial benefit. Life insurance would still be paid out. A lot of life insurance policies for first responders do not void in the event of suicide.

@KristinSchmistin, where has it been stated they know that the gun that killed him has not been located? Everything I have read has stated they do not yet know (or have not yet released) what gun killed him. All I know is that his gun was found near him that morning. Maybe I missed that article.

Correct. Yes. His gun was found near him. His gun was also fired. But they have not stated that it was the weapon used in his death.

Or it could have even been someone who just needed him eliminated for some other motive and this was the right place and time (and the financial benefit was of no concern to the killer(s))

That's why I was wondering if perhaps he planned to meet someone there, or was tricked into thinking something was going to go down, there. As, I said, his going there at that time was purposeful. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseCherami