IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steelman's Madonna wedding was great but this kills me. It's all spiraled so crazily out of control and is nosediving downward to crash and burn leaving nothing except mushroom cloud of surrealistic dust and a grease spot.

If this were to be a Lifetime movie, the critics would pan it for being too unbelievable.

Yes! Absolutely. That must have been terribly demoralizing and I hope the higher-ups will be held accountable for this.

Does anyone know when he became Sgt? Sounds like he was a royal noob for his earlier career and then went on some kind of power trip at some point. I think for a while, he had enough pro-Joe types around him that those that may have complained were shrugged off or seen as agitators. "What?? Joe?? He harmless!!! He's a great cop and a nice guy! He does so much for the kids!" etc...

Also, this whole "great with the kids" thing reminds me of the Catholic Church scandal and the Jared Fogle thing and teacher abuse, etc... (Not saying he abused the kids, I don't think that was the case here, I hope.)

But the fact that many people are shocked when someone they trust turns out to be someone they didn't realize they were. What the Catholic Church failed to realize earlier, is that these priests were never good people who simply succumbed to sin. These aren't people who slipped up. A bad cop isn't a good cop that caved to stress or temptation.

The truth is that bad people who are on a sociopathic level like this work VERY hard to get themselves into a position of trust. If you are a pedophile, you will take a job giving you unrestricted access to kids, i.e. Sandusky, the priests, Jared Fogle, teachers, etc... They never started out trying to be a good person. They started out realizing they needed to convince everyone else they were a good person in order to get what they wanted. Crooks will get jobs as cops, bankers, lawyers, etc... They will "volunteer" to be a treasurer for the local youth group, charity, etc... So we cannot blame all priests because evil infiltrated the church. And we can't blame all cops because a bad cop infiltrated the force. We can't blame all teachers because some turn out to be abusers. But it is clear that there needs to be safety guidelines when ANYONE is given a position of trust. Good people shouldn't mind. They won't complain. I volunteer at my kids' school parties and need to get a background check done. I get it. I have no problem with that. But the bad people will complain about the rules, skirt around the rules, pretend they didn't understand the rules, or that the rules weren't clear enough - all in order to get what they want.

From above link:

"She also accused the married father-of-four of making lewd comments and urinating in front of her, according to a federal lawsuit."

"In court documents seen by Daily Mail Online, Sharpe Gretz described how Gliniewicz invited her to a hotel in February 2000 to give her a military uniform he had purchased for her son."

"Once there he 'directed her to his hotel room where he gave her a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day.'

"Gliniewicz proceeded to rub her shoulders before pressuring Sharpe Gretz into performing oral sex, according to the complaint filed three years later."

"The 'sexual favors' continued for months despite Sharpe Gretz pleading with Gliniewicz, by then a respected sergeant and her commanding officer, that she wanted it to stop."

'Gliniewicz continued during this time to indicate to Petitioner that these sexual favors were strongly encouraged and/or required to protect her job,' the suit alleged.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Explorer-youth-group-ran.html#ixzz3qj3B00Gw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I truly am not trying to bash the victim, but, do you really meet a co-worker at a hotel to pick up something for your child, and even go into a room with him? WTH? This whole story seems like a made for tv movie.

But, but, GIJoe was a true PATRIOT!!!!.............yup, used some woman and her kiddies to stuff the pockets of his PATRIOTIC son.....but, how charitable, of the $1,750 (or close) the woman and kiddies got $500 bucks and were able to eat. JMO

P.S. How some of the more serious things could have been explained:
1.) The time he was found drunk in the car with foot on gas was a LONG time ago. We are talking almost 30 years ago. Yes, drunk driving was on the books, but it was nowhere near as severely enforced as it is today. Doesn't excuse it, but I understand them giving him a pass back then for more than if it were to happen today
2.) I think the drinking was in his younger days prior to getting married, correct? It seems like he admitted he had a problem, the department knew about it and he was working on it. I wonder if he spent a long period of time sober. He did seem to get over a lot of the issues with the tardiness, missing work, etc..in his later years, so got a bit smarter on that end, at least
3.) The dispatcher: I am sorry, but just reading her story had my head spinning and the picture of her jumping back and forth pulling her hair out of her head saying "in the office/out of the office" etc...was admittedly (by her) a bit on the loony side. I kind of understand why her complaint really didn't go very far
4.) Sexual harassment: what could they do? Her lawsuit was dismissed by the courts. They punished him for his part in the relationship that they could and had really no other choice but to move on. (Again - some 20 years ago, a bit different times.)
While I don't stick up for any of his behaviors and incidents, these are all very balanced thoughts that I agree with. Not forgiving anything, but it provides food-for-thought in context of the time they happened. Thanks.

He appears to me to have been a man who thought he was God's gift to women, even if that meant he had to force them to see that wonderful quality in him. What a pig! (Sorry, no offense to pigs, who are cleaner than this guy.)

Here's the mega (yet inconclusive list) from pages 129-30..

attachment.php
attachment.php

Tells the story doesn't it?

Darn, dislocated my jaw this time!

But, but, GIJoe was a true PATRIOT!!!!.............yup, used some woman and her kiddies to stuff the pockets of his PATRIOTIC son.....but, how charitable, of the $1,750 (or close) the woman and kiddies got $500 bucks and were able to eat. JMO

You know, based on how he presented himself on social media I think the Lt. found "getting away with things" even more intoxicating than the things he was getting. I wasn't kidding when I posted earlier that he's a parody of the film Bad Lieutenant. He appears to get a rush out of breaking the law and abusing his position as much or more than the money or sex he got out of his actions. IMO.

Didn't realize Marrin was investigating the Explorers that long.

Marrin was looking into Fox Lake's finances, including the Police Explorers program, which authorities allege Gliniewicz embezzled from for the past seven years. Marrin said "there were a lot of red flags" that came up while she pressed Gliniewicz for details on the Explorer program, a process that began in March and continued until the morning before his September death.

"When I heard that he was concerned that I was asking tough questions about the police explorer program, it only confirmed to me that asking the tough questions was the absolute right thing to do," she said. "In fact, getting at the truth about the administration of the explorer's program was the only thing that had to be done."

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ficer-Tried-to-Have-Her-Killed-341248382.html

How in the wide world did JG manage to achieve the good reputation he seemed to have around town? At the time of the shooting, one would think he was practically a saint considering the collective community response.

After seeing that anonymous letter, I'm wondering if that's why so many area LE related folks gave serious consideration to the idea that this was a set-up or inside job? If it was well known that a lot of people in the department not only didn't like him, but actively wanted him gone then I can understand a little better why people who came into contact with him could believe this was an inside job even when Occam's Razor suggested that theory to be the least likely given the evidence.

How in the wide world did JG manage to achieve the good reputation he seemed to have around town? At the time of the shooting, one would think he was practically a saint considering the collective community response.

Fit the "War on Cops" narrative.

IMO.

STOP with the wise cracks and comments about weight/appearance. They are not relevant to discussion of the case.

:tyou:

Well, apparently there were at least 2 sets of "2 male white, 1 black" that day. Because the men in the recent news are not the ones in the picture I saw. It is possible that he saw both sets that morning, but the timing would be pretty tight. And the route would be a weird one. But who knows what was going through his mind that day.

Maybe he really was going to the station, (where the picture of the 2nd 3 was near) but just decided to keep going to the cement plant to think about things....

After seeing that anonymous letter, I'm wondering if that's why so many area LE related folks gave serious consideration to the idea that this was a set-up or inside job? If it was well known that a lot of people in the department not only didn't like him, but actively wanted him gone then I can understand a little better why people who came into contact with him could believe this was an inside job even when Occam's Razor suggested that theory to be the least likely given the evidence.
That fits the tight-lipped reaction I got early on when trying to discuss the case with an LE officer that lives in Fox Lake, but works in a neighboring county.

Didn't realize Marrin was investigating the Explorers that long.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ficer-Tried-to-Have-Her-Killed-341248382.html

Jumping in to post a remark I've been holding in my head.
Marrin expressed she was just going about her job when she began to sense resistance on JG's part.
Her job was to gather info about inventory, proper paperwork involving Explorer members and such.
She wasn't out to get JG or Explorer program. She sensed she was becoming a threat to JG and, as a result, wondered why.
As per documents, he texted the Chief something like, 'now she wants full financial records'.

I'm not positive what her end goal was to begin with but, as he resisted her requests by dragging his feet, she smelled a rat. It turns out she was correct he was up to no good.
His fear of getting caught showed and she dug deeper as a result.
While doing so, little did she know her life may have been in real danger.

Well, apparently there were at least 2 sets of "2 male white, 1 black" that day. Because the men in the recent news are not the ones in the picture I saw. It is possible that he saw both sets that morning, but the timing would be pretty tight. And the route would be a weird one. But who knows what was going through his mind that day.

Maybe he really was going to the station, (where the picture of the 2nd 3 was near) but just decided to keep going to the cement plant to think about things....
Agreed, as I was confused by those coming out now and the location of their activities not matching what we know about the cam footage/picture you are referring to across town. The first set were located on the route Joe would have taken into town towards the west. The second set were located in the vicinity of the PD/high school/crime scene.

I can see how initially and briefly, his colleagues may have thought he was murdered, but I'll bet that within a few days, everyone pretty much knew it was staged. JMO

The ones that knew him well probably thought he was murdered by someone he messed with (i.e. angry husband etc...).

You know, based on how he presented himself on social media I think the Lt. found "getting away with things" even more intoxicating than the things he was getting. I wasn't kidding when I posted earlier that he's a parody of the film Bad Lieutenant. He appears to get a rush out of breaking the law and abusing his position as much or more than the money or sex he got out of his actions. IMO.

yup Used and abused EVERY institution imaginable...I had read somewhere that he had a Masters Degree, but it looked to me in reading his resume (p 139???) that he had not completed the final hurdle which was a thesis. (not positive, but that's how I read it correct me if that is wrong). JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni