IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd be inclined to keep the cops who wrote and/or signed the letter complaining about Joe. Dump the rest of them -- they've either failed to do their job in keeping a clean house or they're complicit.

And I don't want to blame the Exploders, but I fear that they've eaten fruit of a poisoned tree, and may be unsuitable as LEOs. The Exploders are victims. The FLPD should no longer have an Exploder post -- nobody, evidently, was willing to stand up and say that the program was insane and corrupt.

BBM
The first part BBM...The FLPD has recently lost 2 from the roster, LTG and Behan. Adding 3 new is not unreasonable, IMO.

I don't think that means they need to hire three new officers, considering that heroic Lt. CJG had almost no responsibilities, and it would appear that Behan's main job was looking the other way. Just buy a couple of bobbleheads from the dollar store, and try to figure out how to compensate for the hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted on the investigation into GI Joe's staged suicide.

I don't think it would matter if they were his wife's kids - they would still be his dependents.

A response to ^ post several hours ago. Maybe I am thinking about 'dependents' too narrowly - in sense of whether the 2 kids were 'dependents' of D.J.'s as defined for fed inc tax purposes.
As you pointed out, military reg may define differently.

Thanks for the research and FedRegister link.

A response to ^ post several hours ago. Maybe I am thinking about 'dependents' too narrowly - in sense of whether the 2 kids were 'dependents' of D.J.'s as defined for fed inc tax purposes.
As you pointed out, military reg may define differently.

Thanks for the research and FedRegister link.

But if they filed jointly wouldn't they be able to claim them? I guess only if their father didn't. I went through this and it was part of our custody agreement. We switched it twice based on who our daughter spent the most time with and who provided her medical insurance.

But they were only together a year, is that right? So none of it really mattered. It might have seemed like a great idea but in the end it was a stupid move for all of them. JMO.

The next time Fox Lake Village has an election it needs to dump the current mayor, imo.

From this article: http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lake-village-board-addresses-lt-gliniewicz-fallout/1078151/

“Gliniewicz's embezzlement of funds from the Police Explorers program happened under the watch of former police Chief Michael Behan.

On Tuesday night, Fox Lake's mayor defended his friendship with the embattled Behan after it was learned the two traveled to San Diego together to attend Monday night's Bears-Chargers game."

"How I spend my free time and who I spend it with doesn't affect the village," Mayor Schmit said.”​

The Mayor's statement alone should sound the alarm for the future of Fox Lake with him at the helm. Is that what people want, an eight hour a day Mayor? He could be running guns in his free time and it shouldn’t matter? He doesn’t get it, imo. Vote him out. That is a place to start.

The next time Fox Lake Village has an election it needs to dump the current mayor, imo.

From this article: http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lake-village-board-addresses-lt-gliniewicz-fallout/1078151/

“Gliniewicz's embezzlement of funds from the Police Explorers program happened under the watch of former police Chief Michael Behan.

On Tuesday night, Fox Lake's mayor defended his friendship with the embattled Behan after it was learned the two traveled to San Diego together to attend Monday night's Bears-Chargers game."

"How I spend my free time and who I spend it with doesn't affect the village," Mayor Schmit said.”​

The Mayor's statement alone should sound the alarm for the future of Fox Lake with him at the helm. Is that what people want, an eight hour a day Mayor? He could be running guns in his free time and it shouldn’t matter? He doesn’t get it, imo. Vote him out. That is a place to start.

Bold:

Torontonian here. Yes, it does, Mr. Mayor. It really does.

This statement from the article above sounds like a true hypocrite!

"How I spend my free time and who I spend it with doesn't affect the village," Mayor Schmit said.”

It doesn't sound like he is too smart! IMO.

This statement from the article above sounds like a true hypocrite!

"How I spend my free time and who I spend it with doesn't affect the village," Mayor Schmit said.”

It doesn't sound like he is too smart! IMO.

He sounds complacent. Was he the one who appointed Behan?

Fox Lake forgave many abuses by cop who staged own death
FOX32 Chicago
UPDATED:NOV 14 2015 10:04AM CST
Associated Press writers Don Babwin, Sara Burnett and Jason Keyser contributed to this report.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/48954514-story

Some highlights:

.“FOX LAKE, Ill. (AP) — He gave teenagers their own keys and 24-hour access to the police department. He forged the police chief's signature to obtain surplus military equipment. He often refused to wear his police uniform on duty in favor of camouflage fatigues. And he spent most of his workday on a police-sponsored youth program that he was supposed to run on his own time.

Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz, the small-town Illinois cop who staged his own death to look like a homicide after realizing he would be exposed as a thief, was able to run roughshod in the department for years because officials exerted little control over him or the award-winning youth program that made him a popular figure known as "G.I. Joe" in the bedroom community of 10,000 people 50 miles north of Chicago.

They glossed over serious transgressions — including allegations of sexual harassment and intimidating subordinates — rather than fire the public face of the police department, according to internal documents and interviews with officials.”

“Now, the investigation of Gliniewicz's death on Sept. 1, which touched off a massive, weekslong manhunt for killers who didn't exist, is bringing to light not only the officer's abuses but the official acquiescence that nurtured his behavior.”

“A reconstruction of Gliniewicz's 30-year career in the department shows a series of problems followed by second and third chances, and eventually promotions to positions of more authority.”

“Keller agreed: "He was put on a pedestal," even though his fellow officers distrusted him — so much so that none attended a party earlier this year for Gliniewicz's 30th year on the force, Keller said.”

“Ed Bender, who served as a village trustee for eight years, said he was never told about the sexual harassment complaint.

"It was kept quiet from the board," he said. "This is an unbelievable story and it keeps getting worse."”​

More...

He probably even gave himself the GI Joe nickname.

Eye roll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He probably even gave himself the GI Joe nickname.

Eye roll.

I think so too. He really had a high opinion of himself as a military and police hero. He was not soooo dumb to not realize that he was a fraud, though. And the idea of being found out to be a fraud was more than his self-constructed reputation could bear. There are SO Many CREEPS out there, who are the same way. Some have the audacity to truly think that they should be world leaders. JMO

WOW again about the thirty-year celebration. I asked about that several threads ago...that there seemed to be no record of the celebration and wouldn't the kids know that he was retiring and securing new leadership for his "Exploders". Sounds to me that his beloved colleagues had his number, but kept quiet out of fear of losing their jobs. JMO

WOW again about the thirty-year celebration. I asked about that several threads ago...that there seemed to be no record of the celebration and wouldn't the kids know that he was retiring and securing new leadership for his "Exploders". Sounds to me that his beloved colleagues had his number, but kept quiet out of fear of losing their jobs. JMO

Maybe that's why no one was stepping in. They knew not only was it a big fraud it was all going to come crashing down anyway.

Imagine what they thought when Mel talked like she would be picking up the reins. And the audacity of her to even say it!

Not using a boy scout police cadet program as paramilitary training, for one thing.

I doubt he was planning a post pubescent military coup...Seems like a lot of over the top smoke and mirrors to get youth interested in a career in the military or law enforcement.It's happening in a lot of places see my recent post.

Embezzle money:WRONG / Terrible...And we know he did that.Did Gliniewicz act as a middleman and profit from the Military surplus supplies ? Haven't seen any information on that yet,if anyone has anything please chime in...

I googled "Gliniewicz military surplus". I found a site from a military surplus store in Kenosha, WI. which honored JG on their site. Was he selling to them?

But if they filed jointly wouldn't they be able to claim them? I guess only if their father didn't. I went through this and it was part of our custody agreement. We switched it twice based on who our daughter spent the most time with and who provided her medical insurance.
But they were only together a year, is that right? So none of it really mattered. It might have seemed like a great idea but in the end it was a stupid move for all of them. JMO.

Whether D.J. & wife could claim her 2 kids as dependents on fed inc tax return. Info for determining at ---
https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Publication-17
Current ProductsPublication 17 (PDF | HTML | eBook) <--pdf pages designated 28-34; hardcopy pp designated pp 26-32.

A diff issue than my original question about mil paymt of addtnl $1750/mo to DJ for marriage to woman w 2 children.
Too far O/T for me to discuss further now. Thx.

&#8220;Gliniewicz's embezzlement of funds from the Police Explorers program happened under the watch of former police Chief Michael Behan.
"How I spend my free time and who I spend it with doesn't affect the village," Mayor Schmit said.&#8221;​
The Mayor's statement alone should sound the alarm for the future of Fox Lake with him at the helm. Is that what people want, an eight hour a day Mayor? He could be running guns in his free time and it shouldn&#8217;t matter? He doesn&#8217;t get it, imo. Vote him out. That is a place to start.

Re ^bbm, to a certain point, the mayor's stmt may be acceptable, but ---
(He appt'd FLPD Chiefs, plural, over the yrs. right?) If mayor appts chief who does not do Chief's job, mos' def' does affect the village. {<--- ETA. My mistake, sorry. In reviewing i.b. nora's excellent summary of PD Commissioner meeting minutes, I see that the Commission, not mayor, hires/appoints PD Chief.}

If mayor commits crimes on his free time, affects the village. Even his non-criminal acts may affect village.

On the whole imo, mayor's stmt has l'odeur d'arrogance. JM2cts.

This is fun. When then trustee Schmit ran for mayor, here are some things he said on the campaign trail.

A slate of candidates has emerged to challenge incumbent Fox Lake Mayor Ed Bender and other sitting members of the village board in April's municipal elections.
Leading them is Donnie Schmit, a current village trustee who said he will run against Bender in the spring.
Schmit said he is running because "there is a lack of transparency to the constituency and in various departments working for the village."

Schmit said he believes the current village administration has lost touch with the community it serves.
"There is a lack of communication between departments that not only is stifling input from our employees, but making it difficult for businesses to operate," he said. "If elected I promise to have open discussion at board meetings so that our citizens can see the process, and hold me accountable."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20121121/news/711219795/

The Daily Herald "get to know Donny" article from that election.

[h=3]Key Issue 3[/h] Keeping the Village a safe place for our families to live in. I believe that the Village has very good Police and Fire Departments. These departments must be run productively, but also be supported by the Village to keep our residents safe.

[h=3]Talking with your friends and neighbors, what seems to be their biggest public safety concern? Explain the concern as you see it, and discuss how you think it should be addressed.[/h] Gangs coming into Fox Lake is one of their biggest concerns. Other concerns are drug traffic, the homeless and traffic safety. Our police chief and his staff are very accessable. If there is a problem, they should be made aware of the situation. If this does not provide a favorable response, the trustees or mayor should be notified.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110201/submitted/302019469/

And a good summary from that election of what happens every four years.

Fox Lake hit the reset button once again.
For the second time in a row, village residents upended incumbents on several levels at the polls, sweeping in challengers for mayor, trustee and village clerk.

Politics came full circle for Mayor Ed Bender, who was defeated by trustee Donald "Donny" Schmit Tuesday, according to unofficial vote totals. Four years ago, Bender was a sitting trustee who ousted incumbent Cindy Irwin.

Schmit's "Common Sense Party" slate swept in trustees and the clerk as well Tuesday.
Bender's loss Tuesday follows a common trend in Fox Lake, in which a mayoral incumbent had not been re-elected to the position for more than 40 years.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130409/news/704099636/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicmusette
Back