IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From an interview with Gliniewicz last year:

(Editor’s note: “A June 2014 interview was conducted with Lt. Joe Gliniewicz, for the purpose of an article regarding the Fox Lake Explorer Post 300, and its accomplishments. That article is printed here as a tribute to its leader, affectionately known as “G. I. Joe.”)

““Essentially, we are a self-funded operation through donations and paying details, such as parking, traffic direction, and crowd control. This is open to young men and women, ages 14-21, and the only requirements are not having a criminal background, and do have a willingness to learn.”

The village recognized the value of the group in 2008, and formally added them as a volunteer arm of the municipality through its police department, an act signed by former Mayor Cindy Irwin. Nancy Rogers, the village’s Parks and Recreation Department director, then set up the group with a headquarters and meeting place in the basement of the old Lions Club, located at 23 South Street in Fox Lake.”​

http://chronicleillinois.com/news/m...hip-is-fox-lake-explorer-posts-ultimate-goal/

bbm If Joe G's actions re ^ becomes an issue in determining widow's pension or other benefits, atty may argue on her behalf, even conceding that Joe G forged chiefs' (plural, over years) siggies to acquire/requisition equip, he did not take custody & possession of, or sell equipmentt (well, maybe not all), so he had no intent to misappropriate or steal.
Further argument:
1. Even if FLPD officers did not use equipmt, everything was ready & avail to FLPD right there in dept's basement.
2. Even if Post members used equipmt, the quantities were sufficient for every FLPD officer to use same equip at same timeas Post members. No harm, no foul?
I don't like it, but I can almost hear it now.

All these deliveries were made, presumably to FLPD office, then sat in basement; equip was used by Explorers and w pix on SM & MSM, over the years; and this somehow escaped attention of chiefs, other LEOs, village mayor & other employees? (sarc) If this equip had taken $100 out of the PD's or village's gen budget, would someone have questioned it? ITS, but coming from the fed govt/military, its all 'free'? (sarc)
Sorry I don't buy it and think chiefs & others turned blind eyes the whole time.

Thinking some other FLPD officers, including those involved in writing ~2009 anonymous letter to Chief B were aware of this, but IIRC, point was not raised in the anon letter. Anyone remember?

JM2cts.

I didn't think it was in the police department's basement. I thought it was in a community center basement or the Lion's Club building or something. Wasn't there some reprimand JG got at one point where he was instructed that he could only meet with the Explorers in one particular space? I was curious about why that was, but then we had that recent article saying that he gave the Explorer kids keys and 24 hour access to the PD, so maybe that was the reason he was told specifically where to meet.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that they can say the military surplus was accessible to the PD if it was not even in that building.
moo

The more we learn about CG, the more repulsive he becomes-inside and out. How numerous chiefs allowed his behavior is mind boggling.

Maybe joe was slowly trying to build his own side police force. Some places like Detroit will hire side contract policing /security forces. Idk.

The most important point regarding Denise Duebner's account of her experiences working with Gliniewicz is, it seems, she had no one who cared about knowing the truth.
According to DD, once she worked up the courage to tell others what had been going on between her and G, the good ol' boys sided with G.
Essentially, she was run out of town.

MG had to have gotten wind of some, if not all, of G's affairs.
Yet, she was proud to say he always came home to her.
Sometimes the people with the toughest exteriors are actually the weakest among us after all.

If it turns out MG is innocent of financial wrongdoing (which I doubt), she just got a lucky break via him leaving the picture imo.
Too bad for the children (even if grown) but, for the wife -
happy dance!

Maybe joe was slowly trying to build his own side police force. Some places like Detroit will hire side contract policing /security forces. Idk.

The whole situation is curious. What was he doing with the stuff?
Playing dress up after hours?

If there is an ongoing investigation taking place, maybe the whole story hasn't been told yet. It sounds as if all of the items on the various lists are accounted for but maybe there is still more to the story.
What if G sold items to the surplus store and was pocketing the money.
What if the reselling involved weapons or other big ticket items?

On Thursday, Crime Watch Daily is featuring the Gliniewicz case. WGN at 3:00 p.m. (repeats at 3:00 a.m. Friday).

"A look into the dark secrets of a Fox Lake police officer and his family;" is the description within the TV show listing.

The most important point regarding Denise Duebner's account of her experiences working with Gliniewicz is, it seems, she had no one who cared about knowing the truth.
According to DD, once she worked up the courage to tell others what had been going on between her and G, the good ol' boys sided with G.
Essentially, she was run out of town.

MG had to have gotten wind of some, if not all, of G's affairs.
Yet, she was proud to say he always came home to her.
Sometimes the people with the toughest exteriors are actually the weakest among us after all.

If it turns out MG is innocent of financial wrongdoing (which I doubt), she just got a lucky break via him leaving the picture imo.
Too bad for the children (even if grown) but, for the wife -
happy dance!

Extremely sad, I feel so bad for her. And I'm absolutely disgusted that he had no real consequences, he should have been charged and fired!

I'm just going to leave this here and not comment on how the police union may have played an unspoken part in all of this. Crap, I commented.

Fox Lake police union responds to Lt. Joe Gliniewicz investigation

FOP president: 'Gliniewicz's actions are an insult to the integrity' of police department

FOX LAKE – The president of the Fox Lake police union on Tuesday spoke out on behalf of the department amid the investigation into Lt. Joseph Gliniewicz and the review of the police department as a whole.
“They are working tirelessly to bring a refreshing degree of integrity and administrative insight to the department, which FOP Lodge 90 members wholeheartedly welcome,” Monsen said in the statement. “We will continue to stand with and assist them as we move to restore public trust in law enforcement.”
Monsen had no comment on Gliniewicz's personnel records, which show a history of drunken misconduct, sexual harassment and other misdoings. Gliniewicz had been suspended several times, but despite his history moved through the police department's ranks.

http://www.nwherald.com/2015/11/17/...s-to-lt-joe-gliniewicz-investigation/apj5sht/

Widow Of Fox Lake Lt. Joe Gliniewicz Files Suit To Have Bank Accounts Unfrozen
(CBS) — The widow of disgraced Fox Lake Police Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz is suing Lake County to unfreeze her bank accounts.
Melodie Gliniewicz is asking that everyone refrain from rushing to judgment about her family, saying through her attorney the truth would come out in time.
But, in the meantime, Gliniewicz says she is unable to pay her mortgage, doctor bills and other family expenses.
She’s asking for a prompt hearing to lift the temporary court order that is freezing her personal checking and savings accounts.
The Lake County state’s attorney’s office says it’s an ongoing investigation and can’t comment.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11...st&utm_campaign=projx_latest-stories_vph-news

And another version.

Fox Lake cop widow says don't rush to judgment as bank accounts frozen

The widow of disgraced Fox Lake police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz is asking the public and law-enforcement officials not to rush to judgment as authorities continue to investigate illegal activities her husband was involved in before he took his life.
Lawyers for Melodie Gliniewicz are also seeking to overturn a court order freezing her personal checking and savings accounts. They said the order was filed by the Lake County State's Attorney's office earlier this month without notice to Gliniewicz or her attorneys.
"Words still cannot describe the depths of Melodie's ongoing pain and hardship caused by the sudden death of her husband and watching her children suffer from the loss of their father," the widow's attorneys said in a news release. "Melodie respectfully requests that the community, law enforcement, pension board and press refrain from rushing to, or misplacing, judgment.
"Melodie has faith that the truth will come out in time, and, if necessary, in court," the statement continues.
The attorneys said investigators lacked probable cause when they filed paperwork on Nov. 6 to freeze Gliniewicz's bank accounts, a move the lawyers said Gliniewicz learned of when she tried unsuccessfully to purchase gas three days later. They said she is now unable to pay her mortgage, medical bills and other family expenses.
Gliniewicz's husband died on Sept. 1 in what was at first widely presumed to have been a line-of-duty shooting, prompting a large-scale manhunt. Two months later, authorities announced their conclusion that the lieutenant staged his suicide to look like a homicide out of fear that his illegal activities were about to be exposed.
Authorities said that Joe Gliniewicz had been stealing money for years from the Explorer youth police training program he ran.

The statement from Melodie Gliniewicz refers to deposits made in Explorer account funds but claims that investigators, in their court filing seeking to freeze those funds, omitted details that would put the fund transactions in a different light.

The Associated Press has reported that investigators are looking at any role that Joe Gliniewicz's family members made played in the lieutenant's past misconduct, but investigators have not confirmed that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...de-wife-bank-accounts-met-20151117-story.html

I bet she hopes it doesn't though. The truth is not going to help her.

I would have cleared out all of my banking accounts very early on after the suicide was confirmed. Jmo

Plus I would have had future checks mailed and just cashed them at Walmart. Jmo

Given her position with the Exploders, and having been married to GI Joe for so many years, I have a hard time believing that she wasn't at least complicit, if not an outright accomplice in some of the embezzlement. I am confident that, out of respect for someone who would otherwise be considered a victim, the police would not have mentioned that she was being investigated if they weren't certain that there was evidence to tie her to the crimes. She had to know that Joe was crooked. It wasn't just that he always came back to her -- she was always still there for him. And she clearly has a taste for grifting -- she has ripped the public off for more since Joe's death than Joe likely ever did while alive.

What sort of evil person would insult the grieving widow of a murdered cop? Shame shame. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back