IL IL - Mark Collman, 21, Kendall County, 3 April 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thumbs up for the quick reply from Deputy Hilt. Detective Stacey Mott is the contact for this case and while she too is on vacation until Tuesday, he is forwarding my email.

I'm such a dork, replies on cold cases are better than the Cubs winning the World Series. :great: Especially those in my hometown of NE IL. :woohoo:

Mark and Collman family, we gonna get 'er done!

I finally spoke with Det. Stacey Mott. Who is amazing! Gosh, I wish all LE was as easy to talk to.

She informed me they have dentals on Mark.
There is some contact with family at church.
She offered to put family in contact with WS.

She informed me they do not have DNA.
I asked/commented about the dna which identified Jeff,the brother who was a victim of 911.

I mentioned I hoped this family would not have to submit twice., but if need be, we at WS can assist their local LE with whatever they need for a free FRS sample. I have asked believe09 to assist with this, as she is far more familiar with the FRS info than I.

She also mentioned the reporter never contacted LE.
Which explains why she never replied to my email. : :banghead:

Ah well, todays journalists need the buck for a story. Now that so many are pay per click.

I'm just glad I found it and we at WS will do all we can for this family to ensure Mark has all current available resources.

Ok, my first thoughts. this family already submitted DNA to have Marks brother Jeff id'd. It would be awful if they had to go through this twice.... So why can't the dna submitted for Jeff,as a 911 victim, be available for Mark? :( Especially since this family has gone through so much sorrow already.

Detective Mott just called me back to let me know she entered Marks info into NamUs. We both discussed NamUs having to confirm the information, so in a few days this should be available to the public.

I have never had anyone from LE reply so quickly, to get a case entered into NamUs.

Detective Mott also ensured me she would let the family know of the 'online' information she found, including WS. (to ensure we are within TOS).

HUGE thank you to Detective Mott for her follow up on Marks case!

I will update again once Marks case is in NamUS.

I'm still hoping some other WS'rs with contacts who might, just might, have an insight to getting DNA from the victims of 911 into Codis or other DNA databases will reply. If not, I found the FRS sample info, which I will forward to Detective Mott.

FRS info:

http://www.unthumanid.org/Forensics/Initiative/Information.cfm

Marks case is now entered in NamUs! :great:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12546/0/

There is however some conflicting information from the media report previously posted and LE's account of when Mark was reported missing.

From NamUs:
Mr. Collman was an adult at the time he went missing. His mother called from out of state when she had not heard from Mr. Collman for two weeks.

Disclosure. Websleuths is a victim friendly forum and a law enforcement friendly forum.

I see from the previous MSM article, Marks mother was the one who purchased the gravestones for both her sons. And I see his dad and step mom, were so kind to allow the media to report on Marks disappearance.

On that note, I would like to say I had a wonderful conversation with Detective Mott earlier today. I know she is very interested in working this case and following up any leads available. I know from being an advocate for the missing, LE doesn't always have a ton of man hours. And that is what we here at WS do...

I've been in contact with Cynthia from LostnMissing.com and she contacted Todd Matthews, both are with NamUs to get this info expedited with NamUs.

I have also been in contact with believe09 who is also possibly interested in helping us with this case.

The above, and the previous posters couldn't be better to help in any way we possibly can with Marks case.

I hope we can find some answers for Marks family.
Prayers for answers for both of his parents, step parents, and his siblings...

I received the go ahead from Tricia, to let the detective know if she would like to forward this thread and our info to Marks family, she can do so. I wanted to check with Tricia first considering it's against TOS to reach out to family, they have to reach out to us.

I will be putting together another email for the detective early next week with some additional information and questions.

The detective did let me know, and gave me permission to post, there was some difficulty finding full blood siblings, many are steps, in the event another FRS dna sample needs to be submitted. I pray that won't be necessary and the dna which helped identify Jeff can be found and added into the system for Marks case.

I'm not convinced Mark is not alive and well out there somewhere. I know it is a long shot but there is too little to go on for me to make that conclusion at this point.

Praying we can find some answers on Marks case.

Some outloud thoughts.

So many questions.

I wish we knew the following:

Did Mark leave with a vehicle, was his vehicle recovered?

Where any of his personal belongings missing?

What was missing with him? Wallet, personal items?

Presumably his bank accounts and social security number have been checked for use after his disappearance.

Was he having any troubles at home? With friends or a girlfriend?
I don't mean to be disrespectful, or imply anything was wrong. Just a lot of questions which might help with sleuthing in various directions.

I'd also love to hear from his friends, or former coworkers. Perhaps someone who has followed Marks story will reach out to us.

Hoping to find those answers with Marks disappearance, and hoping he is out there safe, even though the odds might be pretty slim.

:praying:

None that I am aware of.....

Still praying for answers into Mark's disappearance.

:praying:

Thanks, Cubby. I couldn't find any more info on the Web. Wow, you know I wasn't around much last year. A death in my family put me in a depression, and, a lot of things got put on hold. It is stunning to come back and take more time here, and a) see cases still unsolved- and b) I am just newly aware (again) how many there are. Isn't that just something. So many missing and unsolved. I guess on one hand I would think in 2012 the world/country, etc., would all be doing better. And crime sure isn't slowing down. <Shakes head> I want some good news soon, as I know everyone else here does.

Thanks WholelottaRosie, glad to have you back!

I have so many unanswered questions in this case which I posted above.

It was Marks mother, whom he did not live with, who reported him missing. AFAIK she would not have information on what he was last wearing, what he might have taken with him, if he was missing with a vehicle.

I wonder if he left with a vehicle, and if so, was it ever recovered?

I think I recall a statement of Marks father, which I could very well be mixing up from another case from the 70's, that with his family responsibilities he didn't have time to search for Mark. If my recollection is correct, things were so different in the 70's. Avenues to search were so different back then. No internet, not as many different law enforcement agencies were connected by way of computers as they are today.

Even with a full DOB, search engines are available to search by first name only with full DOB. I sure wish we had Mark's full DOB. Who knows, maybe he is using a variation of his last name. Or maybe he dropped his last name and is going by his first and middle name. Might be a long shot, but we could search with a full DOB.

Of many cases, Mark's is one I believe there is a greater possibility he is alive and well out there somewhere. Especially due to two families being reconnected when they intially believed they were victims of Gacy. Situations going back to ones youth, getting upset about something and leaving, decades going by... where does one start to reconnect? Yet, in those two cases with the formerly believed to be Gacy victims, these families were reconnected and it appears happily.

If by chance Mark is out there alive and well somewhere, I would love to see him reconnected with his family. If not, then if he is out there waiting to be found and get his name back, I'd hope we'd be able to assist with that in some way too. At least now, Mark is in both NamUs and Charley Project.

Thanks WholelottaRosie, glad to have you back!

I have so many unanswered questions in this case which I posted above.

It was Marks mother, whom he did not live with, who reported him missing. AFAIK she would not have information on what he was last wearing, what he might have taken with him, if he was missing with a vehicle.

I wonder if he left with a vehicle, and if so, was it ever recovered?

I think I recall a statement of Marks father, which I could very well be mixing up from another case from the 70's, that with his family responsibilities he didn't have time to search for Mark. If my recollection is correct, things were so different in the 70's. Avenues to search were so different back then. No internet, not as many different law enforcement agencies were connected by way of computers as they are today.

Even with a full DOB, search engines are available to search by first name only with full DOB. I sure wish we had Mark's full DOB. Who knows, maybe he is using a variation of his last name. Or maybe he dropped his last name and is going by his first and middle name. Might be a long shot, but we could search with a full DOB.

Of many cases, Mark's is one I believe there is a greater possibility he is alive and well out there somewhere. Especially due to two families being reconnected when they intially believed they were victims of Gacy. Situations going back to ones youth, getting upset about something and leaving, decades going by... where does one start to reconnect? Yet, in those two cases with the formerly believed to be Gacy victims, these families were reconnected and it appears happily.

If by chance Mark is out there alive and well somewhere, I would love to see him reconnected with his family. If not, then if he is out there waiting to be found and get his name back, I'd hope we'd be able to assist with that in some way too. At least now, Mark is in both NamUs and Charley Project.

I share these questions and ponder Mark often. <sigh> I share you hope that something will come of this.

Bump....

I submitted Mark as a possible match to John Doe NamUs UP #6105 back on 1/2012. I just received a message from NamUs stating that "there was insufficient evidence for our NamUs odontologist to make a formal exclusion based simply on dental coding."

I believe Mark Collman lived near the area that Larry Eyler traveled in, picking up victims.

Link to John Doe's profile... https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6105

Bump....

I submitted Mark as a possible match to John Doe NamUs UP #6105 back on 1/2012. I just received a message from NamUs stating that "there was insufficient evidence for our NamUs odontologist to make a formal exclusion based simply on dental coding."

I believe Mark Collman lived near the area that Larry Eyler traveled in, picking up victims.

Thanks for submiting this Wanting2Help. I'm not sure if I think it's Mark. The UID was not fully decomposed and found 4 years after Mark went missing, so Mark would have had to have been alive and somewhere for 4 years.

According to the info on NamUs there is both mitochondrial dna and nuclear dna. It's really a shame there is no dna available for Mark's case. It's free aside from shipping costs for Yorkville, LE. I sure wish Mark's family would submit DNA, or we can find out where the DNA used to id the 911 victims is stored so already submitted dna could be compared to UID's out there. If Mark is out there as a John Doe somewhere he could make it home for a proper burial.

I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to go about finding out where the DNA for the 911 victims is stored. I think the detective handling Mark's case would have a much better chance at finding that info.... I just wish DNA would be entered for Mark. I hate thinking he is out there as a John Doe waiting to come home.

This is one of those cases that seems like there should be more info (even some additional photos to aid in comparison, etc.) available, but there isn't...how did he normally get to work? Was a vehicle involved? Was he known to go off by himself, and if so, where? Would like to see closure for this family.

Bump....

This john doe's profile has been updated and Mark is listed as being excluded as a match.

Hi,
I was reading very sad and interesting articles about Mark's brother, Jeff, who died on 9/11 and saw that there is a book about him called Jeff's Way by Douglas O'Keeffe, who was apparently a friend of his. https://books.google.com/books?id=-GS-pBlQ9kUC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=jeff+collman%27s+brother+Mark&source=bl&ots=0P3oRLei3T&sig=0UsL0Udx1Ygky1zk7ZA9AX_nEiU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=31luVb7_B8vLsAW9tIOgAw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=jeff%20collman%27s%20brother%20Mark&f=false is a link to an excerpt of the book that discusses Mark's disappearance. I am unable to copy and past from the excerpt but it indicates Mark had had a "fistfight" with his father on the day before his disappearance but that he left behind his paycheck and savings.

Amazon has this info about the author: Douglas O'Keeffe is a flight attendant for a major airline, and resides in Chicago. Douglas is a member of the National Air Disaster Alliance, and a member of his airline?s ASSIST Program which offers support to air accident victims. Jeff?s Way is his first book. http://www.amazon.com/Jeffs-Way-Douglas-OKeeffe/dp/0595453392/ref=la_B00JGAWFOY_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433299329&sr=1-1

Hi,
I was reading very sad and interesting articles about Mark's brother, Jeff, who died on 9/11 and saw that there is a book about him called Jeff's Way by Douglas O'Keeffe, who was apparently a friend of his. https://books.google.com/books?id=-...onepage&q=jeff collman's brother Mark&f=false is a link to an excerpt of the book that discusses Mark's disappearance. I am unable to copy and past from the excerpt but it indicates Mark had had a "fistfight" with his father on the day before his disappearance but that he left behind his paycheck and savings.

Amazon has this info about the author: Douglas O'Keeffe is a flight attendant for a major airline, and resides in Chicago. Douglas is a member of the National Air Disaster Alliance, and a member of his airline?s ASSIST Program which offers support to air accident victims. Jeff?s Way is his first book. http://www.amazon.com/Jeffs-Way-Dou...FOY_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433299329&sr=1-1

I somehow missed the above post. There is some interesting information available at the link for the book titled Jeff's Way. According to the book, Jeff, Mark and their dad all worked for the same company at the time of Mark's disappearance. That could explain why Mark did not show up for work nor pick up his paycheck. I can see an adult teenager who left after an argument with his father not wishing to run into anyone who is in contact with dad.

Additionally, the book mentions that Jeff's remains were not found after 9-11. That leads me to lean towards possibility that there is no FRS dna sample available to possibly id any remains that belonged to Jeff. I recall reading there were several families who chose not to submit dna because the process of identifying fragments of their loved ones was just too painful. Given the break up of the family as explained in Jeff's Way and Jeff and Marks fathers comments in the MSM interview about Mark's disappearance, I can see how and why DNA would not be submitted for either Jeff or Mark's case. Plus, according to Find a Grave, Marks biological mother passed away in 2004.

I would like to know what led Mark's father to agree to the MSM interview about Mark's disappearance. Was that as a result of interest generated from Sheriff Dart's request for families of young males who disappeared in the 70's to contact regarding the unidentified Gacy victims? If so, did the initial interest generate from Mark's father or someone else?

I have been asked for my thoughts on this case and my first instinct tells me Mark is missing willingly. I think there were probably too many people around, both with the new family (step and half siblings) along with people from work who would be suspicious if foul play were involved. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any rumblings that might lead to foul play with direct involvement from/of the family. I don't buy the DH speculation which is out there.

As an adult, Mark has the right to be missing voluntarily (and his privacy) if he so chooses. Though, I do wonder if he wanted no contact with his father why not get back in contact with his siblings? He still has living siblings who probably wonder what became of him. He can always contact the detective handling his case and let her know he is voluntarily missing and doesn't currently wish for contact. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12546/122 The detectives contact info is at the findthemissing link.

It's odd, imo, that no one who personally knew Mark has made any comments online that I can find. Of course there are many questions, but most importantly is Mark's well being. Even if it is just to let the detective know he is ok without divulging any additional information.

Hopefully the mystery into Mark's disappearance is resolved soon.

Is it possible Mark ran away and joined the military?
I stumbled upon this UID, NamUs UP # 2197, found in NC Feb. 1984, which is believed to be a suicide. NamUs doesn't list everything the news article I found does. It mentions a place mat that has what appears to be the UID's job history written on the back, and it includes going to school in Streamside, IL which is close to Yorkville, busing tables in TN and a possible military enlistment. He was found with an ID that belonged to someone in FL who claimed he lost his wallet. Being AWOL from the military might explain using the fake ID and hiding out. There was also a bible found with him that was inscribed from Rev RE Sounders, but I found a Rev RE Saunders at a church in Chicago, another Illinois connection. The only I thing I found that doesn't match is that NamUs lists the age of this young man as 15-20, but it may still be worth submitting. Even if it isn't Mark, there must be another MP in his area that needs his name back.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/27478031/unknown-boy-remains-unidentified-30-years-later

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back