GUILTY IL - Megan Nichols, 15, found deceased, Fairfield, 3 July 2014 *ARREST in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WAYNE COUNTY — The Wayne County Sheriff Department confirms that the FBI and Illinois State Police are currently investigating the discovery of human remains found in rural Wayne County on Tuesday. Identification has not yet been made. There is an active open missing persons case in the county. Megan Nichols was reported missing from her Fairfield home located in Wayne County in July 2014. Authorities say a positive identification could take days to complete.
http://www.mtcarmelregister.com/new...cle_18f5bdd5-7cfd-52b7-9542-1186c91e419f.html

Hey Gardener,
I think/fear that this is probably Megan.
I am completely torn, because I want closure for Megan but I really want her to be alive and just in hiding.
Not sure what to want or believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't see any other missing persons from that area. It seems likely to be Megan, although sometimes there are cases that were never reported in the media. The statement that they expect to have an ID within days leads me to believe they know who the UID is and are just waiting for the ME's confirmation (comparison of dental records most likely as DNA normally takes longer than a few days). JMO.

I know that in these cases, we are sometimes not privy enough to hear the details as to the "why" or even the "how".
I can't honestly say that I want to know either, but when you've vested so much time into attempting to find a missing person, and they've touched you in a way that I feel with Megan, it's hard to just accept that it's over and we, as WS-the community that cares, have to stop seeking the "why" because the ultimate goal is that the missing person is found.
Yes, I hope that if it's not Megan that a family gets to have closure. And yes, if it's Megan, I hope her family is relieved to have closure.
Is it horrible to want to know the "why"?

I know that in these cases, we are sometimes not privy enough to hear the details as to the "why" or even the "how".
I can't honestly say that I want to know either, but when you've vested so much time into attempting to find a missing person, and they've touched you in a way that I feel with Megan, it's hard to just accept that it's over and we, as WS-the community that cares, have to stop seeking the "why" because the ultimate goal is that the missing person is found.
Yes, I hope that if it's not Megan that a family gets to have closure. And yes, if it's Megan, I hope her family is relieved to have closure.
Is it horrible to want to know the "why"?

Never stop asking why. Even when someone is found, the "whys" may not be answered, but that doesn't mean we should stop asking. Asking why things happen is what makes us human. JMO.

This has the same guy "cutting firewood" when he saw a skull.

The original articles state he was burning and his fire increased when it touched a blanket that the body was wrapped in.

???

This has the same guy "cutting firewood" when he saw a skull.

The original articles state he was burning and his fire increased when it touched a blanket that the body was wrapped in.

???

That's exactly what I thought! What's up with the different stories? I guess it's possible he was burning off weeds with the intent to cut firewood, when the blanket "flared" (shined?) and he walked over to check it out. I don't think he had anything to do with the crime, and he was pretty shook up by the discovery. Perhaps just a reporter who "filled in the blanks"?

I think in these cases where human remains are found and they are not immediately identifiable because of decomposition or skeletal, we all naturally expect that it is someone who is missing from that area. Even more so if there is really only one reported missing person on record, like in this case with Wayne County. I truly want closure for her family, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if it ends up not being her. When people want to get away with murder etc., some go to the most extreme lengths to throw off the scent and avoid being caught, even if that means crossing state lines to dump a body or even worse, skeletal remains possibly scattered across several states. I’ll share a recent example from Ohio.

About 2 years ago, human bones were found several yards from US Route 127 in Mercer County, Ohio. There were no reported missing people in that county or even the surrounding counties. US 127 stretches north and south for over 750 miles in the Midwest but is not nearly traveled on in most areas as I-75 is. They’ve sent the bones to be tested by the best of the best. They’ve somewhat came up with a profile that the bones likely belong to a male and what climate he may have recently lived in, but he still remains unidentified. I bring this particular story up because it could likely be a very similar scenario to what was found in Wayne County. Additionally, I’m always curious when the FBI shows up. I know they were somewhat involved in Megan’s case, but you will also see them often show up simply when crimes are committed across state lines.

I’m not sure if there is already a forum here on that particular Mercer County case, but I will post the most recent media link that I have been able to find about it, in case anyone else is interested. And as a warning, the latest information released about the victim is somewhat graphic. http://www.limaohio.com/news/248664/bones-found-in-mercer-county-indicate-man-was-dismembered

I’ve followed Megan’s case for quite a while hoping for a positive outcome. I hope that sharing another possible scenario will allow others to hold on to hope, as it has for myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in these cases where human remains are found and they are not immediately identifiable because of decomposition or skeletal, we all naturally expect that it is someone who is missing from that area. Even more so if there is really only one reported missing person on record, like in this case with Wayne County. I truly want closure for her family, but I wouldn’t be too surprised if it ends up not being her. When people want to get away with murder etc., some go to the most extreme lengths to throw off the scent and avoid being caught, even if that means crossing state lines to dump a body or even worse, skeletal remains possibly scattered across several states. I’ll share a recent example from Ohio.

About 2 years ago, human bones were found several yards from US Route 127 in Mercer County, Ohio. There were no reported missing people in that county or even the surrounding counties. US 127 stretches north and south for over 750 miles in the Midwest but is not nearly traveled on in most areas as I-75 is. They’ve sent the bones to be tested by the best of the best. They’ve somewhat came up with a profile that the bones likely belong to a male and what climate he may have recently lived in, but he still remains unidentified. I bring this particular story up because it could likely be a very similar scenario to what was found in Wayne County. Additionally, I’m always curious when the FBI shows up. I know they were somewhat involved in Megan’s case, but you will also see them often show up simply when crimes are committed across state lines.

I’m not sure if there is already a forum here on that particular Mercer County case, but I will post the most recent media link that I have been able to find about it, in case anyone else is interested. And as a warning, the latest information released about the victim is somewhat graphic. http://www.limaohio.com/news/248664/bones-found-in-mercer-county-indicate-man-was-dismembered

I’ve followed Megan’s case for quite a while hoping for a positive outcome. I hope that sharing another possible scenario will allow others to hold on to hope, as it has for myself!

Great insight!
I personally am grateful that Megan's case is getting much-needed new attention.
I hate that ANY family is going to hear the news that their loved one's remains are found.

Not saying the mom had anything to do with the disappearance of her daughter, but wondering the reason for two different stories of the last time she hugged her daughter. Her story on my 90.9 (17:30 mark) radio and Crime Watch do not match. One says she went shopping for an hour and the other says she took friends home and would be gone an hour.
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/11/23/illinois-teen-megan-nichols-disappears-after-atm-withdrawal/

90.9 radio interview
https://youtu.be/cPpNTQNIirI

Not saying the mom had anything to do with the disappearance of her daughter, but wondering the reason for two different stories of the last time she hugged her daughter. Her story on my 90.9 (17:30 mark) radio and Crime Watch do not match. One says she went shopping for an hour and the other says she took friends home and would be gone an hour.
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/11/23/illinois-teen-megan-nichols-disappears-after-atm-withdrawal/

90.9 radio interview
https://youtu.be/cPpNTQNIirI
Exactly!
I can understand why there could be a discrepancy at the beginning, but imo,it should have been corrected after awhile.
However, if my child was missing, I wouldn't care about details.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Here is the thread for the Mercer UID case: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-UP14649-20-35-at-Grand-Lake-St-Mary-s-Jan-16

Post #16 by OkieGranny:
http://www.14news.com/story/26644604...-illinois-teen

"The family and friends of a missing Fairfield, Illinois teenager held a fundraiser outside of the local Walmart on Saturday. They're hoping to raise reward money to bring 16-year-old Megan Nichols home safely...

Hutchcraft says they were best friends but, in the months leading up for her disappearance, she says they were arguing more and more over Megan's relationship with a boy. She says she had her reasons for forbidding the relationship but she admits it wasn't easy...

Hutchcraft says, although she didn't know it then, she now knows that they continued to see each other behind her back
"

This "boy" would have known how to clean her phone and reset it; IMO, he would also know how to dump a body; I'm not aware if he has been investigated, but rumor is that he never was due to "connections". In my heart, I believe he is responsible. I've never heard him mentioned as a suspect so will not reference him by name or initials.

Additionally, a tip was received a few months ago as to the location of evidence regarding Megan's disappearance. A half-hearted search was conducted, but nothing was found. I believe they were searching in the wrong area. I hope LE follows up on this lead and whoever it was that submitted it (unless it was submitted anon) to find out exactly what they know.

I do find it odd that all the FB pages were taken down. Perhaps they came to believe Megan was no longer alive, and I wonder if they were told info that we are not privy to that led them to take the pages down. I do not personally know Megan's parents and step parent, although I have friends that do. I really do not think any of them were responsible for Megan's disappearance. IMO, Megan was just a naive teenager who trusted a "boy" more than she trusted her mom.

http://www.wfiwradio.com/2017/12/28/headlines-for-thursday-december-28-2017/

"December 28, 2017 Local News, News
It will take days, if not weeks for forensic investigators to determine the identity of human remains found Tuesday on a farm south of Boyleston. Wayne County Coroner Jimmy Taylor says Illinois State Police detectives, along with an FBI forensics team have joined the investigation. The scene is in a very remote part of Wayne County and has been secured by law enforcement as the investigation continues."

I saw this report yesterday, and what caught my eye was the FBI showing up, and some of the news reports mention the presence being "massive." Earlier this summer, Yingying Zhang was abducted from the UI campus, about 2.5 hours directly north. It made national and international news. A suspect is being held and has been charged with kidnapping resulting in death, but her body has yet to be found. I think it is most likely Megan, but I am wondering if they have any indication it might be Yingying, thus leading the FBI to show up to check it out...

In the above interview with Megan's mom,

....snipped this first video link out so focus can be made on 2nd video below.....

In this interview, at the 3:40 mark, she says that the note basically read, "Mom, I love you, but I'm never going to be happy here. Don't come looking for me, because why spend a lifetime looking for somebody who doesn't want to be found."

[video=youtube;ZEOYX7ARSjw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEOYX7ARSjw[/video]

BBM. Direct quotes from mom.

:thinking:

All JMO
Been reading about this case and I think I found something that I have not seen talked about. The extra wording in the note. I think it proves the girl would not have said those things.

Check out the video link above and start at 3:33 where Mom is quoting what she remembers in the note.

I wrote it down below and I think she is relaying what she remembered to be in the note. The note they are showing in the video I do not believe is the actual note as the original note was probably taken in for evidence. I think maybe the news people recreated it for the video interview and this could be why some believe the note was shorter.

What she is saying is very clear and she says the note said this.....

"Mom I love you but I'm never going to be happy here. Don't come looking for me because why spend a lifetime looking for somebody who doesn't want to be found"

If this is what the note actually said then I think it proves the girl would not have written that. The word "lifetime". Sadly, and JMO, what this proves to me is the person that wrote the note or forced her to write it knew they were going to do something permanently to get rid of her. They thought their hiding place was so good that they thought she was never going to be found so the wording included a lifetime of looking.

Also a child would not word a runaway note like that. They may say
"dont come looking for me because I dont want to ever come back"
or something along those lines. But I dont think they would use those types of words the Mom said the note had. That wording sadly implies to me a finality or a final fate. The word "never" in the first part is also a word that allows no other possibility for things to be different. So "never" and "lifetime" are words that imply a finality or ending that I sadly believe the person who directed the writing of the note knew about.

She would not have wrote that note that way IMO. I am terribly afraid someone had a hand in her disappearance. I also think the money being withdrawn was probably the motive of this other person.

I truly hope I am wrong and hope that she is still alive somewhere.
I pray for the family members that loved her. This is such a sad case.

ETA Thanks Redux for finding this interview about the note.

.....snipped for focus......

On the day they searched the area south of Fairfield for her body or clues, it was over almost before it started. Either they don't know how to conduct a search, or they didn't want to find anything. They should have brought in a search team like CUE or Equisearch to help them.

....snipped for focus......

It's time someone makes this case a priority and solves what happened to Megan.

Exactly. And they should have brought in dogs in that first search when they got the tip to search the field and only spent a couple hours there searching.

Sorry no link. Going back to find the discussion about that early search based on a tip. That tip may have been a false lead but they could not have possibly done a thorough search of a remote area in a couple hours.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back