GUILTY IL - More than 100 bodies dug up at Burr Oak Cemetery, plots resold, 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Would there be genealogists in the area with duplicate maps of the cemetery? It seems very strange that the sole copy of the maps and records lay with the local management. I would think that either the LDS church or local African-American churches would have duplicate records.

That's a good idea- I wonder if there are any historians in the churches there that have information/maps that would be of use?

I feel so badly for the families and the loved ones that were layed there to "rest in peace".

A former backhoe operator at the historic Burr Oak Cemetery was sentenced to three years probation Friday for desecrating bodies and removing skeletal remains to sell more graves to unsuspecting families mourning their loved ones.
Maurice Dailey, 65, is the fourth and final defendant to be sentenced for his role in the infamous scandal uncovered six years ago in Alsip.

Dailey, unlike his three cohorts, was spared prison.
<snip>

In April, brothers Keith and Terrence Nicks were sent behind bars for their part in the Burr Oak crimes.
O&#8217;Brien sentenced 51-year-old former grounds foreman Keith Nicks to six years in prison. His 45-year-old sibling, who worked as dump-truck driver, was given a three-year sentence.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...-get-*advertiser censored*-desecrating-bodies

Also from the above link:

Ex-Burr Oak cemetery manager Carolyn Towns, 55, is serving a 12-year sentence for her role in the gruesome plot.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...r-oak-cemetery-internment-20160517-story.html

The families of individuals whose buried remains were exhumed from their plots at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip as part of a widespread grave re-selling scheme will once again have a place to visit their deceased loved ones.

The Cook County Sheriff's Department, whose joint investigation with the FBI uncovered the illegal operation in 2009, held a reinterment ceremony Tuesday to return the human remains and grave items recovered during the investigation to the ground with dignity and respect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue
Back