GUILTY IL - Rhoni Reuter, 41, pregnant, shot to death, Deerfield, 4 Oct 2007

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We are supposed to believe that she made up the story that she told her best friend who was wearing a wire, that the book that she bought on how to make a disposable silencer was a joke and her boyfriend threw it out, that her daughter lied about having seen the letters that she sent to Shaun Gayle's female friends and forced her to testify, etc.

Here a friend of the victim ( Rhoni Reuter) says that she never felt comfortable with Marni's conviction and the new evidence brought about by Marni Yang's defense team has further convinced her--especially the theory that Marni Yang was too short to have fired those shots. What about the book on a disposable silencer ? What about the fact that in her confession she says that the victim fell down on the floor so what difference would it have made how tall she is? What about the buried medical bracelet?

Marni Yang was convicted of murdering Rhoni Reuter, lover of former Chicago Bear Shaun Gayle. Now a friend of Reuter believes Yang is innocent.

The judge is said to deliver his decision on the petition for a new trial or hearing for the Marni Yang case.
She is claiming that she made up her "confession" and knew that her friend was wearing a wire as she saw it fall out of the sleeve of her shirt. How does she account for everything that her friend said though beside her confession on tape, the rental car, missing work the day of the killing (and calling in to report a broken car the night before), buying a book on how to build a disposable silencer and then buying the items at Home Depot-it doesn't make any sense. I feel so sorry for Rhoni Reuter's family because it must sting that much more that she can't take responsibility for what she did.

I read that the judge is going to give a ruling on the petition filed by Yang's team of lawyers next week to see if she will get a new trial, etc. Interestingly enough, the Chicago based attorney who is now representing Harvey Weinstein is also the criminal defense attorney who represented Shaun Gayle during this trial and attended the trial on his behalf.

A judge ruled Tuesday to allow a wrongful conviction petition of a woman convicted of murdering the pregnant girlfriend of former Chicago Bear Shaun Gayle to move forward.

Yang, who is now 51 and a mother of three, is serving two life sentences in Logan Correctional Center in Lincoln for the 2007 murder of Rhoni Reuter and her unborn child. She maintains her innocence to this day.

In October Yang's legal team filed the petition claiming Yang was wrongfully convicted in 2011 of killing Reuter and her unborn child.

Prosecutors are expected to ask for the petition to be dismissed in February.

In response to the judge's ruling, Lake County State's Attorney Michael Nerheim released a statement, "This is a formal three stage process. During stage 1, the judge is only required to review the statements made by the defense attorney. Therefore, to make it from stage 1 to stage 2 was and is expected. At stage 2, we will have the opportunity to respond to the claims made by the defense for the first time."

Judge rules Marni Yang's wrongful conviction petition in murder of former Bears player Shaun Gayle's girlfriend may move forward

Exactly. She went to extreme lengths to cover her tracks. The unknown male dna and projectory of the bullets can easily be explained. It doesn’t make her innocent.

I find it particularly disgusting that she dressed up to make herself look like an African American.....an innocent black person could have been charged with the crime because of her. How do her new lawyers account for her buying a book on how to make a disposable silencer? and the tarot card reading that she requested of her psychic friend to ask if she would be "successful" in killing the pregnant woman?
I would like to read the summary that says that her details of the killing do not fit the reality of the crime scene. Aside from her not being tall enough to have fired the shots (wasn't the pregnant woman falling down or on the floor when she was continuing to shoot her?) The trajectory of a bullet from a short person such as her wouldn't be the same if the target was on the floor or falling down as she described herself.
I think that she is clearly guilty, but I always have thought that there was more to it and never bought into it being a "jealous rage"

Why did Shaun Gayle have a criminal defense attorney attend the trial on his behalf? (The same criminal defense attorney that is now representing Harvey Weinstein)

Yes, indeed, that was disgusting.

I wish they would hone in on the fact that she had gone through this before. She was the other woman before, when she hooked up with a married cop. When his wife became pregnant, she lost it and threatened to kill him, his wife, and kids. She lost a man before due to pregnancy, she wasn’t going to let it happen again.

No idea about Shaun. Theres a copy somewhere on the web, of the 700 page report her lawyer put together proclaiming her innocence.

I wish they would hone in on the fact that she had gone through this before. She was the other woman before, when she hooked up with a married cop. When his wife became pregnant, she lost it and threatened to kill him, his wife, and kids. She lost a man before due to pregnancy, she wasn’t going to let it happen again.
I didn't know that she had done this before and actually threatened murder. That is terrifying. You are quite right--that does shed new light on her. I know that Shaun was a single man who could do as he pleased--from what I had read it wasn't a secret that he was seeing other people. It is unfair for people to blame him for her behavior. I wonder if he feared that Marni's lawyers were going to try to drag him into it and that is why a lawyer was there on his behalf at the trial? The fact that the attorney was a "criminal defense" attorney indicated that he was protecting himself. I never knew about her prior history of making threats like that. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

I would like to read the 700 page petition for a new trial. I didn't know that it was available to the public?

I don't know that I read about this prior history before-I still think it was eyebrow raising that Shaun had a criminal defense attorney attending the trial on his behalf--there was information that wasn't presented at trial about the victims prior abortions and info from her gynecologist that was deemed to be too speculative by the judge. That info apparently would have connected dots to Shaun not wanting to have a child and questioning whether of not it was indeed his at all. The first lawyer that he was flanked with when the news of Yang's arrest broke was one who dealt with paternity issues and then a criminal defense attorney for him watching the trial? I think that there is more to it regardless of whether Marni Yang had made threats before. She was seeing other men herself--I don't think that she was "jealous" enough to risk throwing her whole life away. It was cold and methodically planned. It also doesn't make sense that her friend knew that she planned to kill the pregnant woman and didn't really try to stop her. Why would Marni have waited until that evening to dispose of the clothing that she wore when she murdered the poor pregnant lady? Why was the clothing at the friends house? Did she bring it over to the friends house to throw out then? Wouldn't she have thrown that stuff out immediately? It doesn't make any sense.

The above article implies that Yang's lawyers are questioning Shaun Gayle. His lawyer is busy with Harvey Weinstein now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381
Back