Found Deceased IL - Semaj Crosby, 16 mos, Joliet Township, 25 April 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think we are confusing 2 different things. DCFS was called for a welfare check numerous times, I don't think any of those calls reported the kids were abandoned. When police showed up on Easter, they were there due to a 911 misdial, we in the biz (911) refer to as a "911 abandoned" call, meaning the phone line was answered but the caller had hung up or abandoned prior to being answered by the call taker. When you call 911 the call comes through to call taker even if you hang up prior to them answering. The line was probably open long enough or came in with the appropriate coordinates for the call taker to get a location to send PD to check.

Investigators still waiting for cause of death of 17-month-old Semaj Crosby

Though a final autopsy report is not yet complete, Kelley said initial toxicology results were not showing "much." An autopsy did not provide a cause of death, and he said additional information, such as toxicology reports, was needed. Kelley said cause of death is one of the "main things" investigators are waiting on.  

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-justice-for-semaj-met-20170614-story.html

Coroner's office: More time needed in Sema'j Crosby case

"Typically with toxicology (testing), it takes four to six weeks for adults and longer for children. But at this point I wouldn't say whether we'll have the information we need in the next few weeks or longer," Will County Chief Deputy Coroner Kevin Stevenson said Thursday. "And the direction of this investigation is going to be determined by those results."

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/...ore-time-needed-in-semaj-crosby-case/awc9lh4/

So, no physical cause of death was noted, and the direction the investigation will go is based on the toxicology results.... very interesting. Not sure I have seen that before in a case with a small child. Wonder if there's an accidental 'got into drugs' or was given some drug, and it was too much? If no drugs, prescription, over the counter, or illegal are found....then it's ruled an accidental death of unknown cause? :thinking:

Time to go back over very detail of that autopsy to see what might have been missed. Maybe the FBI can help out. Even if she just died, there would be some indication of why.

So what the heck is going on in Semaj's case? If the ME couldn't find a physical cause of death then that would also mean there were no signs of a natural death, like a heart problem or something, right? And preliminary tox "weren't showing much." I suppose that could mean that whatever quick tests are typically performed came up negative and the ME is waiting on tests for other drugs or maybe drugs that require more complex testing. :dunno:

Honestly, based on msm reports when Semaj first went missing, I wondered if maybe the kids she was playing with accidentally injured her and attempted to cover it up by hiding her, either injured or dead. To me (so JMO) the circumstances felt childlike; IOW, something a child/children would do, not understanding that Semaj would ultimately be discovered.

But between the reports of the DCFS visits and the fire leveling the home it seems like information about the early hours of Semaj's disappearance fell by the wayside. All that was said was that she had been seen outside, playing with kids, either in her yard or in the street.

Now it's unclear whether that was ever the case, but given the ages of Semaj's siblings I suspect LE has conducted forensic interviews with them by now and may have much more knowledge about that day than is being reported.

So frustrating - I really expected to see an arrest by now. Semaj didn't end up under that couch on her own accord.

Thinking of Semaj, praying justice comes soon.

So what the heck is going on in Semaj's case? If the ME couldn't find a physical cause of death then that would also mean there were no signs of a natural death, like a heart problem or something, right? And preliminary tox "weren't showing much." I suppose that could mean that whatever quick tests are typically performed came up negative and the ME is waiting on tests for other drugs or maybe drugs that require more complex testing. :dunno:

Honestly, based on msm reports when Semaj first went missing, I wondered if maybe the kids she was playing with accidentally injured her and attempted to cover it up by hiding her, either injured or dead. To me (so JMO) the circumstances felt childlike; IOW, something a child/children would do, not understanding that Semaj would ultimately be discovered.

But between the reports of the DCFS visits and the fire leveling the home it seems like information about the early hours of Semaj's disappearance fell by the wayside. All that was said was that she had been seen outside, playing with kids, either in her yard or in the street.

Now it's unclear whether that was ever the case, but given the ages of Semaj's siblings I suspect LE has conducted forensic interviews with them by now and may have much more knowledge about that day than is being reported.

So frustrating - I really expected to see an arrest by now. Semaj didn't end up under that couch on her own accord.

I think maybe that she did. Kids hide. Kids squeeze into impossible places. If there aren't drugs (common) in her system, and no sign of abuse....just maybe she was being a child, and hid. Maybe being a child she didn't realize that she was cutting off her oxygen, and died as a result. I don't believe that someone's at fault for every single death. Accidents, and mistakes happen. If so, I believe that the Mom should be charged with neglect.

Authorities urge patience as they investigate Joliet-area toddler's mysterious death

Based on the condition of her body, Semaj was placed under the couch within three hours of her death, Jungles said. However, investigators have not been able to provide a time of death.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-crosby-investigation-met-20170630-story.html

The article also states:
"A DCFS caseworker was at the home just hours before Semaj was reported missing"

"
Based on the condition of her body, Semaj was placed under the couch within three hours of her death, Jungles said. However, investigators have not been able to provide a time of death."

"
Semaj's other siblings have since been placed into DCFS custody. The children of Semaj's aunt and her grandmother also have been placed into DCFS custody."

The investigators are are still waiting on final results of tests.

This has to be one of the strangest cases. What happened to little Semaj? Someone knows. All the family has lawyered up (not surprising, and is a normal action to take, IMO).

I think maybe that she did. Kids hide. Kids squeeze into impossible places. If there aren't drugs (common) in her system, and no sign of abuse....just maybe she was being a child, and hid. Maybe being a child she didn't realize that she was cutting off her oxygen, and died as a result. I don't believe that someone's at fault for every single death. Accidents, and mistakes happen. If so, I believe that the Mom should be charged with neglect.

JMO but it seems unlkely - to me anyway. For one thing there was only an inch or so clearance under the couch so I don't think a 16-month-old would see it as a hiding place as opposed to a recliner chair or furniture with more clearance. Plus, the couch would be fairly heavy so how would she be able to lift it on her own?

I do get that toddlers can and do get into the most unexpected spaces but IMO that wasn't the case here.

JMO but it seems unlkely - to me anyway. For one thing there was only an inch or so clearance under the couch so I don't think a 16-month-old would see it as a hiding place as opposed to a recliner chair or furniture with more clearance. Plus, the couch would be fairly heavy so how would she be able to lift it on her own?

I do get that toddlers can and do get into the most unexpected spaces but IMO that wasn't the case here.

I agree with you. And from what my previous post said, I get the impression LE does not believe she put herself there, either.

"Based on the condition of her body, Semaj was placed under the couch within three hours of her death, Jungles said. However, investigators have not been able to provide a time of death.

I can't read the tribune article without a subscription........ I am a bit confused, does the article suggest she was deceased when being placed under the couch? Or does it imply she may have been placed under the couch while still alive?

Also, there is usually lining near the floor under a couch. Was it ever confirmed whether or not the lining under the couch was intact or not?

Was anything else found under the couch along with Semaj?

I guess I was just thinking if the children in the home were used to seeing the adults hide trash under, say the bed, perhaps it wouldn't be too far fetched to hide a child under the couch. I wonder if the older kids might have been playing and hid Semaj under the couch not realizing she could suffocate under there. Without any clear cut evidence of abuse it causes me to wonder. Then it could also be the budget nonsense that is causing a delay in toxology reports in this, case.

I think we are confusing 2 different things. DCFS was called for a welfare check numerous times, I don't think any of those calls reported the kids were abandoned. When police showed up on Easter, they were there due to a 911 misdial, we in the biz (911) refer to as a "911 abandoned" call, meaning the phone line was answered but the caller had hung up or abandoned prior to being answered by the call taker. When you call 911 the call comes through to call taker even if you hang up prior to them answering. The line was probably open long enough or came in with the appropriate coordinates for the call taker to get a location to send PD to check.
:welcome: to Websleuths, venusenvygrrl !!
:cheer:We're glad you're joined us!!:cheer:

We may find out the what/cause of her death, but I don't see LE finding the who part nor the why part. Someone needs to be punished for either doing the crime or allowing it to be done. Perhaps if one of the children saw it done, he/she could tell LE about it when questioned.

Authorities urge patience as they investigate Joliet-area toddler's mysterious death

Based on the condition of her body, Semaj was placed under the couch within three hours of her death, Jungles said. However, investigators have not been able to provide a time of death.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-crosby-investigation-met-20170630-story.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, pink for the article!
:)
Quoting from the article:

Semaj's body, however, was found some 30 hours later in her home, under a couch that was flush to the ground.

my bold

The quote above is from the ChicagoTribune article cited above. Maybe it is the way the sentence was stated, but how can a child be put or pushed under a couch that was "flush to the ground"? That is impossible -- that's why I wonder if the description of the couch was miss-stated. Does anybody know anything different from how the sentence was worded?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, pink for the article!
:)
Quoting from the article:

my bold

The quote above is from the ChicagoTribune article cited above. Maybe it is the way the sentence was stated, but how can a child be put or pushed under a couch that was "flush to the ground"? That is impossible -- that's why I wonder if the description of the couch was miss-stated. Does anybody know anything different from how the sentence was worded?
My speculation only... Is that around the sides of the couch it was flush to the ground, but that underneath there was probably that fibrous netting that covers the negative space between the structure of the couch and the actual bottom of it. That netting has some give. The couch was lifted, Semaj was placed under it, and the netting gave way to accommodate her. :(

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We may find out the what/cause of her death, but I don't see LE finding the who part nor the why part. Someone needs to be punished for either doing the crime or allowing it to be done. Perhaps if one of the children saw it done, he/she could tell LE about it when questioned.

Hopefully the other kids who were present that day have been forensically interviewed by LE although if the adults have lawyered up maybe they weren't. :dunno:

Coincidentally, an older case was updated today where a mother suffocated her 2-year-old son by placing her hand over his nose and mouth - this was disclosed by the mother. The COD from the autopsy had been called "undetermined." No similarities in the cases, I'm just pointing out that it is possible to suffocate a child without leaving evidence clear enough to point to a cause of death.

My speculation only... Is that around the sides of the couch it was flush to the ground, but that underneath there was probably that fibrous netting that covers the negative space between the structure of the couch and the actual bottom of it. That netting has some give. The couch was lifted, Semaj was placed under it, and the netting gave way to accommodate her. :(

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Now that makes sense. Thanks, Kadoober (love that name, btw.) Yes, that makes sense. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwoForJoy
Back