Found Deceased IL - Semaj Crosby, 16 mos, Joliet Township, 25 April 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sadly, it makes me think a minor is likely responsible considering the location Semaj was found. I can see a child hiding a body under a couch more than I can see an adult hiding a child under a couch. :sigh:

Such a toxic environment, it's easy to see how this kind of environment would lead to a child being suicidal, and if violence was the means for punishment that is what the children residing in the house will emulate.

" I can see a child hiding a body under a couch more than I can see an adult hiding a child under a couch".
I didn't think of that. I thought the minor was Darlenes younger daughter.

Sadly, it makes me think a minor is likely responsible considering the location Semaj was found. I can see a child hiding a body under a couch more than I can see an adult hiding a child under a couch. :sigh:

Such a toxic environment, it's easy to see how this kind of environment would lead to a child being suicidal, and if violence was the means for punishment that is what the children residing in the house will emulate.

And the report spoke of the 5 yr old and 1 yr old having 'bite wounds' and bruises. Biting is something children often resort to when fighting with other kids. It made me wonder if this was a child who acted out then hid her in the under section of the couch.

" I can see a child hiding a body under a couch more than I can see an adult hiding a child under a couch".

I could if the couch was raised up a bit off the floor (with legs), but not when the couch was actually all the way down to the floor --- I can't imagine a child lifting a couch to hide under it or out anything underneath. JMO

I could if the couch was raised up a bit off the floor (with legs), but not when the couch was actually all the way down to the floor --- I can't imagine a child lifting a couch to hide under it or out anything underneath. JMO
Plus, she was 16 months old. Their hiding places are typically beside a chair, behind a door, under a table...lifting a couch, getting under it, and dropping the couch back down only when they are all the way underneath requires thought process that most that age haven't developed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Further, how could any one person do ANYTHING in a home of that size with 15+ other people inside, without other people knowing? Regardless of the fact that there's no way a child could lift a couch and conceal a child's body in said couch. Oh, then what a coincidence that the adults were sitting on said couch when speaking with police.

I didn't know Darlene had any minor children. How old is Darlene's minor child?

Based on the DCFS report, I thought only LC and SG had minor children living in the home. I could be wrong though........

An older child could easily lift one end of the couch off the floor and use a foot to push something under a couch. Adrenalin would kick in..... I experienced it myself as a child when a dumpster fell on my leg, trapping me, and a 13 or 14 year old boy was able to lift the dumpster by himself allowing me to get out from under it . After he lifted it, he was blown away he was able to lift it by himself.

Funny how she didn't have a dollar and some change for a bus ride for parenting classes or any money for her 7 year old's much needed psychiatric medications, but she has money for a lawyer. Those 3 adults are going to attempt to pin this on the minor child mark my words.

I thought I read the family hired a lawyer for her? It could be the lawyer is working probono?

I think the minor child is seven years old. (I read the entire DFS report in a few sittings between upset stomachs - simply horrible). So many times DFS throughout the country fails these children. There were so many red flags here that were completely ignored starting with 15+ people living in the squalor. The mother's disabilities are no excuse for her behavior. Even the simplest task was beyond her capabilities. And the finger pointing!

Yes, I understand these agencies are overwhelmed, but these families need oversight by competent personnel. I wonder at what point DFS deems a family in crisis.

All of these children involved do not stand a chance, and will most likely continue the pattern into adulthood. Sad but statistically true.

///end of this rant///

Darlene has a teenage daughter.
15 or 16

I think the 7 you old sibling of Semaj was hospitalized at the time of her disappearance/death. From what I gather from the DCFS report that leaves the following minor children residing in the home as: Lakisha's two minor children under age 5. A sibling of Semaj near her age, another sibling of Semaj about age 10 or 11 and possibly a minor child of Darlene, but I don't recall anything mentioned about Darlene's minor child in the dcfs report. I think the minor child poi might be Semaj's oldest maternal sibling/half sibling, who is 10 or 11.

When I read reports like that, I have compassion for the individual underpaid, understaffed social workers. What the heck is one worker supposed to do when coming upon a complicated, morass of total dysfunction, on all sides. Take all of the kids away from a loving, but probably, special needs mother? ...where do the kids end up? Separated and maybe in a worse place?

It is hard for me to blame them because the problems are sometimes so momentous...

My thoughts, too. Many of us surely have known someone who has worked (works) for CFS. We all know that most of them are underpaid based on the hours they work and the responsibilities they carry, and they have near-impossible caseloads.

We see this same thing case after case here on WS -- and I'll bet if all of us checked our local newspapers/TV/online sources, we could, as a whole team, find one horrible case every day. Every day. And the powers that be in the state/county offices always say that there will be an investigation, etc., ad infinitum. Does anything ever really change? -- a couple of people will resign/get fired, but I've rarely, if ever, seen where the budget for these departments in increased so that the caseloads are manageable and the salaries become more attractive. And it's always the little ones who pay dearly.

My thoughts, too. Many of us surely have known someone who has worked (works) for CFS. We all know that most of them are underpaid based on the hours they work and the responsibilities they carry, and they have near-impossible caseloads.

We see this same thing case after case here on WS -- and I'll bet if all of us checked our local newspapers/TV/online sources, we could, as a whole team, find one horrible case every day. Every day. And the powers that be in the state/county offices always say that there will be an investigation, etc., ad infinitum. Does anything ever really change? -- a couple of people will resign/get fired, but I've rarely, if ever, seen where the budget for these departments in increased so that the caseloads are manageable and the salaries become more attractive. And it's always the little ones who pay dearly.

My heart is heavy as I type this, but budgets won't change because we live in a society which views families in need such as Semaj's as garbage, not contributing and not worth assisting. We have people yelling and screaming about making abortion illegal, but once babies are born no one wants to do as thing to assist. Sadly, this is a cycle I do not see changing.

End rant.

My heart is heavy as I type this, but budgets won't change because we live in a society which views families in need such as Semaj's as garbage, not contributing and not worth assisting. We have people yelling and screaming about making abortion illegal, but once babies are born no one wants to do as thing to assist. Sadly, this is a cycle I do not see changing.

End rant.

Excellent and spot on. There is enough blame to go around, but it seems the overriding sentiments are society looks down on those in need. So true that the pro-birthers want all babies born, but after they arrive, do nothing and go on to the next "cause." Such hypocrisy. The cycle of poverty continues to the next generation, and the one after that. And who suffers? The children who often times go through unimaginable pain at the hands of their "caretakers." It makes me sick. My heart is broken. Going forward, I will do my best to avoid reading anything where minors are involved.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cubby

End rant.

Excellent and spot on. There is enough blame to go around, but it seems the overriding sentiments are society looks down on those in need. So true that the pro-birthers want all babies born, but after they arrive, do nothing and go on to the next "cause." Such hypocrisy. The cycle of poverty continues to the next generation, and the one after that. And who suffers? The children who often times go through unimaginable pain at the hands of their "caretakers." It makes me sick. My heart is broken. Going forward, I will do my best to avoid reading anything where minors are involved.

Wholeheartedly and very sadly I agree with both of you. It won't change sooner or later... SMH

What about personal responsibility? Why is 'society' to blame for the many people having multiple children with multiple men/women, and not taking proper care of them? We see 14 and 15 yr olds begin building their families when they do not have an education or any jobs. Is that all on the government? Or do individuals have some accountability? The 30 squatters in that home---should any of them take any personal responsibility in this horrible situation? Or is it all on 'society' to fix it somehow, with more money, as if that would work anyway...:sigh:

What about personal responsibility? Why is 'society' to blame for the many people having multiple children with multiple men/women, and not taking proper care of them? We see 14 and 15 yr olds begin building their families when they do not have an education or any jobs. Is that all on the government? Or do individuals have some accountability? The 30 squatters in that home---should any of them take any personal responsibility in this horrible situation? Or is it all on 'society' to fix it somehow, with more money, as if that would work anyway...:sigh:

Once a child is born, it does not matter who their parent is or parental education level or job. The children are here. We could debate or agree on personal responsibility but IT just does not matter. Can we or should we turn a blind eye and not give this generation a shot? I think we must act and spend the resources to break the cycle of poverty and lack of education. JMHO.

Once a child is born, it does not matter who their parent is or parental education level or job. The children are here. We could debate or agree on personal responsibility but IT just does not matter. Can we or should we turn a blind eye and not give this generation a shot? I think we must act and spend the resources to break the cycle of poverty and lack of education. JMHO.

Great post. Promoting personal responsibility/accountability in many facets of life is important, but not so much IMO when these terms are used retroactively to disenfranchise a person, group or population or to excuse actions not taken.

Also, the terms cut several ways. What about the "personal responsibility" of, in this case, those DCFS personnel who conducted perfunctory or deeply-flawed assessments of the home? Or policies laid down by Director Sheldon? Or the heavy "personal responsibility" of those arguing for the de-funding of various social safety nets they know don't affect them or theirs?

"Personal responsibility" is part of the social compact. It isn't a virtue shared only by the good, the wealthy, the law-abiding, the people like us (not that this was implied by anyone on this thread).

(Please forgive any stridency -- I've just listened to a report on the Portland stabbings in which several people interviewed offered versions of "They had it coming to them," regarding those attacked. This is becoming a world I increasingly wish my kids weren't growing up in.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BranVan
Back