IL - Sonya Massey Shot To Death In Her Own Home by Sangamon County Deputy After Calling to Report a Prowler, Springfield 6 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>

For the part I bolded above, is this your opinion about the water? In the video, I clearly heard the shooting cop explain to a supervisor LE that he shot her and showing where the water came. I didn't hear the other cop deny this or say anything (he was trying to help stop the blood and talking to EMT).
When Grayson was outside and the other deputy was inside, alone, trying to render aid and saying to himself "where is he?" MOO he was outside trying to figure out how he was going to spin shooting and unarmed woman in her home into some sort of self defense.

Later after others arrived on scene, Grayson was inside, while the other deputy was still trying to render aid, told those other arriving LEOs that Sonya was trying to throw boiling water at "us". The other deputy did not chime in and agree. He was notably silent.

After Grayson was back outside telling anyone who would listen what a crazy B Sonya was and that she was 10-96 (mentally ill) and that Sonya threw boiling water at "us" he already realized that the other deputy did not have his back (IMO) and that is why he referred to that deputy to the other responding LEOs and EMS as a "dipsh*t"

This is all jmo on what I saw on the body cams after the shooting had happened. I also noted the demeanor of all the other LEOs on scene after the shooting. Nobody was talking to Grayson or looking at him. They knew. They all knew. and it showed in their behavior toward him. I saw it as distancing behavior. But that is just how I interpreted the footage post shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Grayson was outside and the other deputy was inside, alone, trying to render aid and saying to himself "where is he?" MOO he was outside trying to figure out how he was going to spin shooting and unarmed woman in her home into some sort of self defense.

Later after others arrived on scene, Grayson was inside, while the other deputy was still trying to render aid, told those other arriving LEOs that Sonya was trying to throw boiling water at "us". The other deputy did not chime in and agree. He was notably silent.

After Grayson was back outside telling anyone who would listen what a crazy B Sonya was and that she was 10-96 (mentally ill) and that Sonya threw boiling water at "us" he already realized that the other deputy did not have his back (IMO) and that is why he referred to that deputy to the other responding LEOs and EMS as a "dipsh*t"

This is all jmo on what I saw on the body cams after the shooting had happened. I also noted the demeanor of all the other LEOs on scene after the shooting. Nobody was talking to Grayson or looking at him. They knew. They all knew. and it showed in their behavior toward him. I saw it as distancing behavior. But that is just how I interpreted the footage post shooting.
I agree with your assessment of the other responding LEOs demeanor towards Grayson. I also interpreted the distancing. The other officer who was rendering aide, when he was released by EMTs, I noticed multiple officers coming to him to offer genuine care and support.

Did Grayson actually call the officer rendering aid a "dips*t"? If so I missed that and want to go back to look.

I know that the officer rendering aid immediately pulled his weapon and joined in the screaming at the woman, but that is what an associate would do. There isn't time to sit back and wonder/think. He was in another room scanning for concerns when he heard Grayson scream, he immediately backed up Grayson. Back him up, and ask questions later. But he was definitely not supportive of any of Grayson's actions, IMO.

but there is a reason

His psychological profile. Bad personalities are attracted to the profession. Bullies, sociopaths, psychopaths. All LE should go through extensive psychological testing prior to hiring. MMPI, the Hare psychopath test and whatever else is available to weed out these psychos. I have watched so many videos of this crap, for so many years, and it is not improving. I can think of several similar murders by cop, just off the top of my head, because it happens that often.
I’d be curious to know where you got that information regarding “bad personalities are attracted to the profession”. Also, LE officers DO go through extensive psychological testing prior to being hired. Those that don’t pass, don’t make it.

SB @tlcya for focus

Did Grayson actually call the officer rendering aid a "dips*t"? If so I missed that and want to go back to look.
yes, it is on Grayson's cam footage post shooting, he is outside hanging crime scene tape around the house. another LEO asks "where's D[redacted by me]?" 34:38 in the footage on the ISP youtube. "where was he at?" (meaning during the shooting)

Grayson responds "inside with me. other LEO "That's fine, I didn't know if . ." Grayson, "no dude, it was good, that Sh*[redacted by censor] F'ing happened so d*mn quick that we didn't have time to call" at the 34:53 mark

followed by Grayson saying "it was me and Dipsh*t" at 34:56.

yes, it is on Grayson's cam footage post shooting, he is outside hanging crime scene tape around the house. another LEO asks "where's D[redacted by me]?" 34:38 in the footage on the ISP youtube. "where was he at?" (meaning during the shooting)

Grayson responds "inside with me. other LEO "That's fine, I didn't know if . ." Grayson, "no dude, it was good, that Sh*[redacted by censor] F'ing happened so d*mn quick that we didn't have time to call" at the 34:53 mark

followed by Grayson saying "it was me and Dipsh*t" at 34:56.
Thank you for helping me find it. I totally missed that. I am even more disgusted. Unless "Dipsh*t" is a term of endearment among LEOs, or this particular officer's nickname, I am absolutely disgusted.

The Sangamon County Coroner’s Office said the bullet entered under her left eye, perforated a carotid artery and exited out the back of her neck. In addition to the fatal gunshot wound, Massey also had minor blunt force injuries on her right leg, the autopsy found. The results were made public Friday morning, three weeks after Massey’s July 6 killing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...1w0kju45UNEVYvAz8g_aem_U4hr0gPT9uw8c3NTXNaXHA

MOD NOTE: Folks, until evidence is reported that indicates that race has something to do with this case, it is OFF TOPIC here. I already see discussion about a tattoo indicating the officer is a racist . . . except it wasn't the shooter's tattoo.

Stay on topic and stick with the facts, please.

I also noted the demeanor of all the other LEOs on scene after the shooting. Nobody was talking to Grayson or looking at him. They knew. They all knew. and it showed in their behavior toward him. I saw it as distancing behavior. But that is just how I interpreted the footage post shooting.
Absolutely! Those were exactly my thoughts when I saw that.

I think they were all thinking along the lines of ...well, he's finally gone and done it... I'd bet that the majority of them had a pretty good idea of what had gone down when they were on their way there if they knew he was involved.

It was more than just distancing, I think. Contempt for him is the main feeling I got.

I know that the officer rendering aid immediately pulled his weapon and joined in the screaming at the woman, but that is what an associate would do. There isn't time to sit back and wonder/think. He was in another room scanning for concerns when he heard Grayson scream, he immediately backed up Grayson. Back him up, and ask questions later. But he was definitely not supportive of any of Grayson's actions, IMO.
Grayson, imo, put him in an extremely dangerous position. There is a thing called "sympathetic firing" whereby if your buddy fires you may automatically do the same thing as a reaction to his shooting, especially if you have other things on your mind at the time.

14. Applicants may be required to successfully pass the psychological evaluation.

WCIA obtained records that show Grayson took a mental health awareness refresher and a course on responding to trauma and sexual assault the day after the shooting. That training on July 7 was not required by the county.

It is unclear if Grayson completed the training, as well as if he signed up for the training before or after the shooting.

Those same training records show Grayson took a mental health refresher course back in 2022.

MOD NOTE: Folks, until evidence is reported that indicates that race has something to do with this case, it is OFF TOPIC here. I already see discussion about a tattoo indicating the officer is a racist . . . except it wasn't the shooter's tattoo.

Stay on topic and stick with the facts, please.
Not to poke the bear. But the shooter did have skull tattoos. I apologize if posting this response is off topic, I was posting for clarity.

Attachments

• 876ca8e4ea5641f7a38fffa37d87644e_md~2.jpg
    876ca8e4ea5641f7a38fffa37d87644e_md~2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
I think this link has already been posted, but I found this part interesting:
"After Auburn, Grayson was hired by Logan County, where he remained for a year before starting as a deputy in Sangamon County in May 2023. While in Logan County, he pursued a vehicle at speeds of 110 mph, against direct orders of his superiors and eventually hit a deer, according to records obtained by WAND-TV. His supervisors recommended "high-stress decision-making" training for him."

I wonder if this training was ever done?

(Deputy who killed Sonya Massey was discharged from Army for serious misconduct)

I think this link has already been posted, but I found this part interesting:
"After Auburn, Grayson was hired by Logan County, where he remained for a year before starting as a deputy in Sangamon County in May 2023. While in Logan County, he pursued a vehicle at speeds of 110 mph, against direct orders of his superiors and eventually hit a deer, according to records obtained by WAND-TV. His supervisors recommended "high-stress decision-making" training for him."

I wonder if this training was ever done?

(Deputy who killed Sonya Massey was discharged from Army for serious misconduct)
excellent find, I had missed that bit and I am following closely. So in addition to the multiple DUIs that Sangamon County knew about when hiring him, his decision making/judgement was already questioned during his Logan County employment. So the county communications chief Willhite was engaging in doublespeak when he stated:

Wilhite said the department was aware of Grayson’s two misdemeanor DUI convictions in Macoupin County – connected with incidents in 2015 and 2016.

Wilhite said in a statement, “All potential Sangamon County Sheriff’s Office employees undergo a criminal background check.”

Wilhite added: “To our knowledge, Grayson had not been fired from a prior law enforcement job. Grayson had no use-of-force complaints or citizens' complaints while employed as a Sangamon County deputy. And to our knowledge, Grayson had no complaints filed against him at prior law enforcement jobs.”
'Red flags' surrounded hiring of alleged killer

there may not have been complaints about use of force or citizen complaints but there were red flags galore about his judgment or lack thereof. Technically the spokesperson was truthful but it's in what he DIDN'T say.

more dirt being dug on Grayson's previous employers in LE. He has a documented history of issues with shortcuts, lying to try to manufacture probable cause, inability to follow directions from superiors/authority, you name it. He was close to being fired from Logan County (his employer just prior to coming to Sangamon's dept.). Instead he miraculously obtained a position in Sangamon and was able to resign from Logan county rather than being fired.

I knew it! I am so angry. I am now ready to scream from the rooftops that Sangamon County Jack Campbell needs to be removed. He knew or should have known. There is more behind why I feel so strongly about this but the media must catch up before we discuss it.
-----------------------------------------------
The first sign of trouble in Logan County came just months after his hiring. According to department records, while on patrol around 1:41 a.m. on Sept. 22, 2022, Grayson spotted a woman in a parked truck, who seemingly crouched down in the driver’s seat in an attempt to avoid being seen by him.
Deputy charged with murder had issues during previous employment

much much more at link

Last edited:
Sean Grayson, the former Sangamon County sheriff's deputy now facing murder charges in the death of Sonya Massey, left a previous agency following allegations of inappropriate conduct with a female detainee. Grayson, 30, was also accused of retaliating against the detainee's boyfriend after she filed a complaint:

The woman alleged that, as she was being processed at the jail that October, she told deputies that she had inserted drugs inside herself. In response, she claimed, Grayson instructed her to remove them in front of him and another male deputy. “I went to do as he instructed me to do feeling very afraid and forced to do such action,” she wrote. She alleged that a female deputy stopped her and “informed Officer Grayson that I was not to do that in front of them because they are male officers.”

The woman was then brought to the Lincoln Memorial Hospital to have the drugs removed. While she was lying on a hospital bed in a gown, she alleges that Grayson swept open the curtains around the bed, leaving her “completely exposed” to him and two other male officers. She wrote that the doctor “immediately shut the curtain and told the officers not to come in again while I was exposed.”

“I felt very violated on both occasions and was unsure how to handle this matter until now,” she wrote in her complaint to the department, later adding: “Officer Grayson was out of line and used his title to act inappropriately with me.”

A couple weeks later, just after the New Year, a man identifying himself as the woman’s fiancé, also a detainee at the Logan County Jail, filed a complaint accusing Grayson of “abusing his power and harassing me” in retaliation for his fiancée’s complaint…

Sean Grayson Disciplinary Paperwork - Logan County Sheriff's Office:​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back