IL IL - Tammy Zywicki, 21, La Salle, 23 Aug 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Illinois State Police still searching for clues in kidnapping, murder of Tammy Zywicki, 28 years later
''LOCKPORT, Ill. (WLS) -- Illinois State Police are bringing new attention to an unsolved kidnapping and murder of a young woman on the 28th anniversary of the crime.

According to a release from Illinois State Police, on August 23, 1992, 21-year-year-old Tammy Zywicki disappeared after leaving Evanston for Grinnell College in Iowa. Her abandoned vehicle was discovered later that day on Interstate 80 near Utica.

A week later, Zywicki's body was found along a rural highway in Lawrence County, Missouri, police said.''

"This anniversary marks 28 years that Zywicki's family and friends have endured the loss of her love and friendship. Our thoughts remain with her family and friends." Illinois State Police said in a statement.

Zywicki's case remains an active and ongoing criminal investigation.

If anyone has any information on the kidnapping and murder of Tammy Zywicki to please contact the Illinois State Police at (815) 726-6377 or the Chicago FBI Field Division at (312) 421-6700.''

Illinois State Police still searching for clues in kidnapping, murder of Tammy Zywicki, 28 years later
''LOCKPORT, Ill. (WLS) -- Illinois State Police are bringing new attention to an unsolved kidnapping and murder of a young woman on the 28th anniversary of the crime.

According to a release from Illinois State Police, on August 23, 1992, 21-year-year-old Tammy Zywicki disappeared after leaving Evanston for Grinnell College in Iowa. Her abandoned vehicle was discovered later that day on Interstate 80 near Utica.

A week later, Zywicki's body was found along a rural highway in Lawrence County, Missouri, police said.''

"This anniversary marks 28 years that Zywicki's family and friends have endured the loss of her love and friendship. Our thoughts remain with her family and friends." Illinois State Police said in a statement.

Zywicki's case remains an active and ongoing criminal investigation.

If anyone has any information on the kidnapping and murder of Tammy Zywicki to please contact the Illinois State Police at (815) 726-6377 or the Chicago FBI Field Division at (312) 421-6700.''
I strongly suspect the first, now deceased, truck driver.

This case always struck a chord with me , Tammy lived not too far from here in Marlton NJ at the time, she along with a handful of others will always be at the forefront of my psyche and I hope daily to see them solved

Over the years I've spoken with people , who knew people etc...a lot of second hand info , however from what Im told the investigation may have been botched in Tammy's case, supposedly there was a window of opportunity that was missed

And for some reason, the task force was disbanded a very short time after her body was discovered, till this day, the reason remains a mystery as well.

There's also other evidence in the case that hasn't been released as you can imagine.

Not long the Vidoq society here in Philadelphia took a new look at Tammy's case, and rumors that new leads have been generated due to their review, so theres that.

Have they found any other victims who were stabbed 7 times in a circle around their hearts?
Re post. rbbm.
Tammy Zywicki killing investigation nears 23 years
B9318285303Z.1_20150730193046_000_GJJBC7HP4.1-0.jpg

''The 21-year old Grinnell College student was returning to school from Evanston, Ill., and should have arrived in Grinnell on Aug. 23, 1992. That day, her car — a white Pontiac T1000 — was found abandoned in Illinois.

The next month, her body was found along Interstate Highway 44 near Springfield, Mo. Zywicki was wrapped in a red blanket, and her mouth was covered in duct tape. She had been sexually assaulted and stabbed seven times in a circle around her heart, as well as once on her right arm.''

''Before her abduction, Zywicki had been traveling back to college early to take preseason photos of college sports teams for Andy Hamilton, Grinnell's assistant sports information director at the time. When her body was found, her Canon 35mm camera and a unique wristwatch were gone.''

''Padilla said investigators could not rule out Bierbrodt as a suspect, but he believes Zywicki's killer is still alive. And he's excited by the current leads.''

Have they found any other victims who were stabbed 7 times in a circle around their hearts?
Re post. rbbm.
Tammy Zywicki killing investigation nears 23 years
B9318285303Z.1_20150730193046_000_GJJBC7HP4.1-0.jpg

''The 21-year old Grinnell College student was returning to school from Evanston, Ill., and should have arrived in Grinnell on Aug. 23, 1992. That day, her car — a white Pontiac T1000 — was found abandoned in Illinois.

The next month, her body was found along Interstate Highway 44 near Springfield, Mo. Zywicki was wrapped in a red blanket, and her mouth was covered in duct tape. She had been sexually assaulted and stabbed seven times in a circle around her heart, as well as once on her right arm.''

''Before her abduction, Zywicki had been traveling back to college early to take preseason photos of college sports teams for Andy Hamilton, Grinnell's assistant sports information director at the time. When her body was found, her Canon 35mm camera and a unique wristwatch were gone.''

''Padilla said investigators could not rule out Bierbrodt as a suspect, but he believes Zywicki's killer is still alive. And he's excited by the current leads.''

Not that Im aware of, even if they did I couldnt disclose that information.

Theres some feeling that the Vidoc Society feels the investigation may have been looking in the wrong direction, however , I cant confirm what was said as Im not privy to that info

I have several questions of my own after hearing some of the evidence thats not well known.

Lets hope DNA is resubmitted if they have it

I remember when this happened as well, stumbled across this case often while researching the three missing women in Springfield. That was such a strange summer, lots of spooky stuff going on in Missouri that year, creepy goings on and creepy POIs some of these cases should have been solved MOO

I spoke about this case, with Candice Delong a few years ago, we both came to very similar conclusions , in that we felt it was most likely the first person that stopped to help her.

This is minus any victimology assessment being done on Tammy, and with no suspect list, but i've seen enough posted by her family to get a general idea that she was a confident girl, therefore shes most likely not going to be forced, into a car or truck, not without a fight.

The risk is high for a low risk victim, therefore offender may not have planned to kill the victim at first, its risky to be seen with a person you later intend to kill, he definitely planned at some point to rape her, but once he was alone with her his deviant sexual urges took over and lead him to attack her .
The small blade knife also seems to indicate more of a "weapon at hand "such as a pocket knife, than a weapon specifically for killing someone.

The Kenworth blanket also seems to be something more "at hand" if you will, unless it was done to deliberately mislead authorities, but I dont think so . Same with the Duct tape to keep the blanket closed.

Another interesting fact is that the medical examiner felt Tammy had been dead about a week when she was found , however she had only been in that location 2-3 days prior to her discovery (which I've heard 3 different stories about) which would indicate that her killer was with her body for a time after her death.

There are other lesser known facts in her case, that add to the mystery, such as Tammy was found wearing a different bra and underwear than her mother has ever seen, and of a type she didnt think she would wear , and that the same witness just so happen to call twice from 2 different areas hundreds of miles apart , in this case, once to report Tammy's car, then hundreds of miles away she then reports that a woman walked in to the doctors office she worked at with a watch matching the one Tammy used to wear that lead to a possible suspect in the case, in which no other evidence was ever uncovered.

There were many more questions raised

I'm kind of surprised by that. I'm sure he was high on the suspect list.

Years ago, before a lot of info was released, on the case, i was leaning that way myself, low and behold the power of the media

For his family im glad, they lived with that stigma even after his death, we have to remember the scales of justice tip both ways.

But as I found out more and more i became VERY skeptical about Bierbodt, for one the same individual (who was the wife of a judge) just so happened to see him near Tammys car, and then saw that his wife had a watch like Tammys , she remembered it when she saw his face at the hospital etc....

Same witness calling twice about something she saw hundreds of miles apart, seemed odd to me.

A few years ago, i began speaking with Candice Delong, and we hashed this case, out in between her taping, of her many shows.

We agreed on many things in the case.

I go back to my original feeling years ago, this was an impulsive rape and murder committed by an individual who acted out once he had her in his company, I don't think it was planned, and I don't believe he was out there looking for victims, she became a victim once he got her alone.

Its extremely high risk to abduct an adult victim in broad daylight with hundreds of eyes rolling by every minute .

Something happened once they drove away from that car.

The sexual assault and murder means they had to be stopped somewhere where no one would question them, so I doubt he just pulled over on the road, perhaps a truck stop where have may have offered to take her.

Its also possible there was more than one person responsible.

Enter the facts that she was dead for a week, when she was found, but only at that site for 3-4 days prior, you now know that he had her body with him for some period of time

it really doesnt happen that often, but its terrible nonetheless.

advances in DNA will solve many inslved in the future
I hope they have access to a M-Vac before all evidence is destroyed .
Bier never made any sense to me . Drive 500 miles to a random turn around ? And not that concealed ? I’m glad he’s been eliminated .

I hope they have access to a M-Vac before all evidence is destroyed .
Bier never made any sense to me . Drive 500 miles to a random turn around ? And not that concealed ? I’m glad he’s been eliminated .

From what I gather from friends of the family, Bierbrodt was traveling through the area where her car was located for some legit reason, but he also didnt live far from where her body was ultimately recovered.

The media reports are confusing, and the way it was portrayed originally Bierbrodt was a pretty good suspect, Truck driver, violent criminal history etc.

But it wasn't like he left home for a drive and did a 500 mile loop, he was coming from somewhere near where her car was found . It was the same witness, (A Judges wife) , who called to report that she saw a man Talking to Tammy on the roadside.

Then a few months later, she sees who she thought was the same individual come into the hospital where she works, and calls police to report that the man she saw is there and gives them the last name, she also says his wife is wearing a watch similar to Tammy's.

The promising thing is we know they have DNA, hopefully it gets submitted for genial analysis

Henry Fredrick Wise, aka Hoss Wise, was uncovered as the person who murdered Stacy Chahorski through familial DNA. At the time, he was working as a truck driver. When I saw a picture of the cab I was struck as to how similar it was to the cab of the truck that was reported to have been seen on the roadside helping Tammy.

On August 23, 1992, the 21-year-old vanished while driving to Grinnell College in Iowa, for the start of her fall semester. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Zywicki’s brother, Daren, joined her on the road trip, which began from their home in New Jersey on August 22nd, the day before her disappearance.

Their first stop was in Evanston, Illinois, where Tammy dropped her brother off at Northwestern University where he attended college. That night, she stayed with a friend, planning to head out the next day.

While driving to her destination, Zywicki’s vehicle, a white 1985 Pontiac T1000, broke down in central Illinois. The FBI said more than 60 people reported seeing Tammy looking under the hood of her car that day, which was stopped at the exit for Utica, Illinois. Tips to law enforcement suggested that 26 different cars pulled over to help her, but Tammy never made it to the college campus in Iowa.

Tammy-Zywicki-Front-of-Vehicle-FBI.jpg
(Photo courtesy: FBI)
Tammy-Zywicki-Back-of-Vehicle-FBI.jpg
(Photo courtesy: FBI)
Zywicki’s 1985 Pontiac left on the side of the road, was ticketed for abandonment by an Illinois State Trooper. Illinois State Police towed the car the following day. That same day, Tammy’s mother reported her daughter missing. Zywicki’s disappearance was not seriously investigated until several days after the initial report. Originally, police suspected she had run off with a boyfriend, though there was no indication Zywicki had a boyfriend at the time.

Henry Fredrick Wise, aka Hoss Wise, was uncovered as the person who murdered Stacy Chahorski through familial DNA. At the time, he was working as a truck driver. When I saw a picture of the cab I was struck as to how similar it was to the cab of the truck that was reported to have been seen on the roadside helping Tammy.
Just checking on Tammy’s thread and was wondering if there were any updates about this guy and any possible connection to Tammy’s murder. I had read this article, too, and was also struck by the truck’s similarities to the one seen parked behind Tammy’s car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator
Back