IL IL - The Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone contact DNA Doe Project and ask them to take on this case? They have identified many nameless people during 2020-21

I ran across a recently published missing person on namus that fits the timeline of several of the still unidentified Gacy victims: Brian Thomas Vargo - 20 years old, 6 feet 0 inches tall, 150 pounds. The last firm date he was seen was March 9th, 1976 when he withdrew from classes at UT Austin. His hair looks light colored in the images on namus, yet is noted as brown. I suppose the light looking hair could be due the images fading over time.
TX - TX - Brian Thomas Vargo, 20, Austin, 9 March 1976
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

I'm almost 100% sure that body #5 was Alan Wayne Soper (Alan Wayne Soper – The Charley Project). He matches all criteria of body #5 (Body 5) and Soper had suffered a deviated septum which was surgically repaired. #5 was noted to have had a broken nose during his lifetime. He was reported missing in 1974, but some of his belongings were found in California. Although living in California, he had been traveling around the country with truck drivers, offering to help load and unload cargo in exchange for rides. So he sounded kind of transient in terms of lifestyle. He was also pinned as missing from Oklahoma.

Attachments

• soper_alan.jpg
    soper_alan.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 17
  • ok.jpg
    ok.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm almost 100% sure that body #5 was Alan Wayne Soper (Alan Wayne Soper – The Charley Project). He matches all criteria of body #5 (Body 5) and Soper had suffered a deviated septum which was surgically repaired. #5 was noted to have had a broken nose during his lifetime. He was reported missing in 1974, but some of his belongings were found in California. Although living in California, he had been traveling around the country with truck drivers, offering to help load and unload cargo in exchange for rides. So he sounded kind of transient in terms of lifestyle. He was also pinned as missing from Oklahoma.

CORRECTION: Sorry, I meant to say that some of his belongings were not found until 1977, albeit in California. Still, I think it's a possibility and really should be looked into.

I ran across a recently published missing person on namus that fits the timeline of several of the still unidentified Gacy victims: Brian Thomas Vargo - 20 years old, 6 feet 0 inches tall, 150 pounds. The last firm date he was seen was March 9th, 1976 when he withdrew from classes at UT Austin. His hair looks light colored in the images on namus, yet is noted as brown. I suppose the light looking hair could be due the images fading over time.
TX - TX - Brian Thomas Vargo, 20, Austin, 9 March 1976
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original
I think Brian Vargo wasn't killed by Gacy. The only match for him is Body 21: stood at 5'8" - 6'0" (Vargo's height is 6'0"), both had light brown hair. But Body 21 is believed to be murdered after June 1976 (he was buried above W. Caroll, who was killed 13 June 1976), and he didn't have chipped tooth, but Brian had.

I think Brian Vargo wasn't killed by Gacy. The only match for him is Body 21: stood at 5'8" - 6'0" (Vargo's height is 6'0"), both had light brown hair. But Body 21 is believed to be murdered after June 1976 (he was buried above W. Caroll, who was killed 13 June 1976), and he didn't have chipped tooth, but Brian had.
However, there is a chance he could be. Brian disappeared only just several months before Summer 1976, not 1,2 or 3 years ago. I also want to notice his face is slightly similiar to the face of Body 21 (chin, wideness of face).

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 10
  • Body_21.jpg
    Body_21.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 9
Can someone contact DNA Doe Project and ask them to take on this case? They have identified many nameless people during 2020-21

The Cook County Sheriffs office or the Cook County medical examiners office would need to request DNA Doe Project's assistance on these cases. Perhaps we should initiate an email campaign asking them to request the assistance of DNA Doe Project?

Thoughts? With the recent Peacock series (which I don't have) perhaps we could generate a good amount of interest in an email campaign.

Originally I thought this may be a difficult case for DDP and the family's of the victims. But once I saw the successful identification of Brad Doe, a Larry Eyler victim, via DDP, I thought let's do it.

The Cook County Sheriffs office or the Cook County medical examiners office would need to request DNA Doe Project's assistance on these cases. Perhaps we should initiate an email campaign asking them to request the assistance of DNA Doe Project?

Thoughts? With the recent Peacock series (which I don't have) perhaps we could generate a good amount of interest in an email campaign.

Originally I thought this may be a difficult case for DDP and the family's of the victims. But once I saw the successful identification of Brad Doe, a Larry Eyler victim, via DDP, I thought let's do it.
I agree. It is necessary to contact Cook County Sheriffs office, so they can cooperate with DDP

Also could body #26 (Body 26) be this guy: James Thomas Stanley – The Charley Project James Thomas Stanley? He fits the profile *except* he's a little taller than the 5'2-5'6 range (5'7-5'8) and he has light brown/blonde hair instead of medium/dark brown hair. What do you guys think?

NamUs has the hair as dark brown to black so I would definitely expect the hair to be on the darker side, but hair colour and height estimates have been wrong before. However, the circumstances don't line up for James to be Body 26, imo. James's car with all his belongings was found abandoned in North Carolina in 1974 - he most likely died around that time and place. Body 26 was murdered in Illinois in 1976.

Also, welcome to Websleuths :)

Last edited:
He could be. However, he disappeared long time ago before 1976-77 and his personal belongings were found in California. I suppose he may have been killed by Randy Kraft
Or even by Patrick Kearney. I can't recall Kraft operating that far west in California. Kearney however, might have, especially with his MO of dumping bodies out in the desert.

Already submitted this on namus but is Andy Joe Lepley a potential match for this victim of Gacy? Height adds up and eyes look similar.

Attachments

• A8852791-675C-408F-B6FE-88F5A0FFF427.jpeg
    A8852791-675C-408F-B6FE-88F5A0FFF427.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 9
  • ED8EE499-64FE-4C7E-B8EA-12B84EC925F3.jpeg
    ED8EE499-64FE-4C7E-B8EA-12B84EC925F3.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 10

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors