IL IL - Timmothy Fry-Pitzen, 6, Aurora, 13 May 2011 - mom found dead - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It looks like whatever Amy Pitzen did and where she went on her crazy 3 days in NW Illinois with Timmothy was to throw off searchers and confuse them , and the things she said on her phone calls while on the trip with Timmothy were not at all true either . So how can we believe her when she said she gave him to people who loved him and would take good care of him . When she probably did something else with him totally . Telling family they will never find him seems like he is in VERY deep water , a VERY deep hole in the earth , or a VERY high mountain , in a nightmarish place , some where extreme , consumed by the violence of planet earth .

I only found out about Timmothy's case very recently and quite randomly. I am very troubled by it and can't put it out of my mind. This is not typical for me. I have read and watched every item I can find. I have some huge questions, as I'm sure many people do. I do not in any way wish to be disrespectful or insensitive but I want to ask...does anyone know exactly what religion Amy was supposedly so deeply devoted to? There are rumors out there of past "cult-like" connections, however, I have not seen this confirmed by any close associate of Amy's. So what exactly was her religious affiliation? I have what I feel are very valid reasons for asking this but I don't want to speculate wildly or introduce any sort of false suggestions into this situation. I have other questions. I will list them below. If anyone has the answers and wishes to share, I would greatly appreciate it. The question I stated before is probably of the utmost concern to me first though. I am hoping with all my heart that Timmothy is alive and that his family as well as law enforcement have some information that the general public does not that allows them to continue to believe that is likely. From the family, it's not unexpected but I am a bit encouraged by the fact that remains the position of law enforcement - at least as far as I'm aware at this time.
1.) What happened at Amy's work on the morning of May 11th? How did she act? What did she say to coworkers about leaving?
2.) Who drove her to the auto shop to have the vehicle repaired? Where was the vehicle? Did she go home to retrieve it or was it at her office? How did all of that play out?
3.) What service was performed on the vehicle on Wednesday, May 11th? Was anything noticed in the vehicle like an overnight bag or anything? What time exactly did she drop the car off? Could she have gone home between getting Timmothy from school and dropping off the car? If not, could they have stopped by the house after leaving the zoo and getting the car? How did they get from the zoo to the auto shop to retrieve the car?
4.) Was Amy in fact having some sort of affair or ongoing relationship with an ex husband as has been rumored? Which ex husband? What does he have to say about where things stood with them and her mindset about that?
5.) Where did Amy say she was going when she went on the evening/day trips to the Sterling area in February and March? Anything? Or was no explanation required? What did her call records indicate on those days or the days immediately prior?
6.) I understand only spam could be retrieved from her secret email account. So there were no contacts, absolutely nothing of value? So she completely wiped it? When? I guess maybe they couldn't tell.
7.) Exactly which clothes of Amy's and how many clothing items total are missing or unaccounted for?
8.) How many envelopes were missing or were the envelopes not found? What did the letter to her friend say? Were the letters posted from Rockford? What did the note left in the hotel say exactly, in its entirety?
9.) Were there any deleted texts on her phone? Wouldn't phone records show the data record if not the content of the messages?
10.) Did Jim and Amy have an argument the night before or morning of the 11th? I'm aware he says no. Is that true? (And no, I am in absolutely no way accusing him or suspecting him of anything whatsoever. My heart completely breaks for him. Marriage is hard. Marriage to anyone with any sort of mental illness is even harder. I am simply trying to determine how spontaneous and unplanned this trip was with that question.)
I have more questions but I'll leave it at that for now because if no one has those answers, not sure if my other questions could be answered either.

Thank you to those of you who read and liked my post. I'm sorry but I'm going to be more direct now because I'm no longer sleeping much at night and can think of almost nothing else. Did Amy have any connection to a certain group headquartered in the Wisconsin Dells at one time? I am purposely not naming this group here as I have no desire to implant unfounded theories into this case. I am asking because if this is the case, it would give a lot of meaning to the trip to Kalahari as well as the date of Amy's suicide. I want to know what was included in the letter to the friend. Were there instructions such as, "If one day Timmothy comes forward, please tell him this or that?" Was there a letter included for Timmothy himself? How many clothing items did Amy purchase for Timmothy during their trip? Enough for a while or only a few things for the trip? Which clothes of Amy's are missing? Is the shirt from Kalahari one of them? If so, is it possible she left it with him/for him? Let's run this down as though he's alive. Many people ask who would have taken him in. Someone who thought they were doing the right thing or doing what people within their religious organization asked them to do possibly? People who thought they were helping or protecting Timmothy from something/someone? People Amy told she was terminally ill (that wouldn't have been a lie exactly)? How hard would it be to hide a child really? You don't need documents for anything except possibly initial public school registration. What would you have to do? Home school and not take him to Walmart or Disney for the first year or two at most? Was the note in the motel with the line, "You will never find him," addressed to Jim specifically or to everyone? Her letter to her mother said nothing as "ominous" as that. "You will never find him," doesn't necessarily mean he won't be found or won't find you someday, does it? Another super random thought - if older people agreed to take Timmothy in, they'd only have to raise him to adulthood to fulfill the "need," wouldn't they? How dire are the consequences really if you'd be 80+ if/when Timmothy comes forward? I'm sorry for the wild speculation here but I have been pulled into this for no reason that I can discern. I do want to help Timmothy's family most definitely but I also would love to stop obsessing over this for the sake of my own mental health and my own family.

Last edited:
I think Amy's two unexplained trips to the Sterling, IL area in February and March nag at me almost more than anything. The fact that she and Timmothy ended up in that same area on Friday, May 13th, after leaving from the resort in the Dells is an odd coincidence. Did Timmothy accompany her on either of the prior trips? Is that known? The first trip it looks like she was in the area over 4 hours; the second trip closer to 6 hours. That's a good bit of time. What was she doing? Yes, I've seen some horrifying theories. But for over 10 total hours, months in advance? It appears there were thunderstorms and rain throughout the day on March 20th, 2011. Just putting that out there. Wonder what time Timmothy's regular bedtime was? Isn't around 7pm kind of an average for a lot of 6 year olds? Then would take around an hour to get from that area to Winnebago which lines up with when she was seen at the stores alone. How much medicine was missing from the children's medicine bottle (whatever it was - Benadryl maybe - can't remember). Guess Amy could have taken it herself. Not sure why else she'd have kept that with her.
Couple other things. How do we really know how or when Amy's phone ended up on the side of Route 78? Can we even be certain she put it there herself? Why toss the phone anyway if she turned it off after the 1:30 calls in the Sterling area? I guess they don't ping if turned off? Maybe she wasn't sure about that?
So she had this secret email account for around 4 years and investigators only got about 34 emails out of it, mostly spam. So she definitely deleted a lot of stuff very purposefully. You can get 34 spam emails in next to no time easily. No way to know if the emails had much to do with Timmothy. Maybe not. Email would feel very risky to me.

I have a lot of anxiety about the skeletal remains found in Savanna. When I look at maps and things, I feel very uneasy about it.

This is going to be my final post on this topic unless there is something profound I can contribute - in which case I would do something other than post here. The amount of time I've spent researching this case and the lengths I've gone to in order to fully look into every aspect of it I possibly can are not something I can even explain. I'm not sure where I stand on whether Timmothy is alive. I can certainly see why either scenario is possible. I'm going to say this though - I feel there is a very solid chance he could be alive. Amy appears to have been a well loved and well connected person. I am absolutely certain she knew people who would have been more than capable of assisting her with making arrangements for Timmothy. Why they would have been willing to do so is something I can't answer. I guess there are a few possible explanations for that. I do think that if Timmothy is alive he is unlikely to be living in a cult or Amish/Mennonite community or any of those things that have been widely speculated. I also don't suspect Amy would have worked with one of those underground organizations that hide women and children or whatever. If Timmothy is alive, I think he is with people Amy knew and trusted...AND I specifically think he's in Iowa...or at least was initially. I hope he's alive. I really hope so. I also feel pretty certain that if he is alive, he's being loved and cared for just like she said he would be. Maybe someday we'll find out for sure but I'm at the point where I feel that may only be in his time, on his terms. If the people who may have helped Amy with her arrangements for Timmothy ever happen to read this for some crazy reason: I hope you had a truly great reason and I hope it was very well founded because the pain it has inflicted on the rest of his family is just unimaginable. I would implore you, absolutely beg you to somehow at least let them know he's ok. I'm not sure how. Send them an anonymous note with a clipping of his hair or something; wear gloves when you seal and mail it. Drop it in the mail from your next distant vacation spot. I really don't know. BUT PLEASE DO SOMETHING. They deserve to know for certain that he is safe and alive. At least that.

I said it would be my final post but this is still weighing heavily on my heart. A lot of what I'm about to say is speculation, conjecture, just my feelings and opinions based on both gut instinct and a ton of very deep digging. I am going to offer these thoughts because I am certain many of you are far more knowledgeable than I am and maybe you can take it further somehow.
It is very clear that Amy's suicide was well planned. She helped her mother with major household chores and gifted furniture. She took that trip to the Bahamas in spite of it being a major source of discord in her marriage. There is no reason to think she didn't make a plan for Timmothy - a very solid plan. Why wouldn't she?
You know what I think wasn't planned? The timing or date of it. The car needed servicing, she left haphazardly on a Wednesday morning after going in to her office and then went to various locations, keeping moving and keeping Timmothy entertained. This is only speculation but I think she may have planned to wait until the end of the school year - whenever that may have been in Aurora, IL. I think it is possible that the arguments over the Bahamas trip, etc. may have escalated to the point she felt compelled to move up her timeline. (Total sidenote, this is probably also why she didn't finish the picture quilt for her mother which was clearly important to her.) There may have been pieces of her original plan kept intact - maybe the trip to the Dells, for one example, because she wanted that so much for Timmothy.
I realize Amy suffered from depression. Many people do. Depression contributes to many suicides yet depression is not really enough to convince me someone is capable of murder - particularly of their own beloved child. So I thought, ok, maybe there were other mental issues aside from depression. I've found nothing. Not one expression from any person from Amy's past who has anything except positively glowing things to say about her - how kind, loving, generous, thoughtful, friendly, on and on... No one who actually knew her has a bad word to say - at least not publicly. I mean not a single one...and she knew A LOT of people. Please let me know if I've missed something.
I don't think Amy would have given Timmothy to anyone she didn't know extremely well. I don't think she would have given him to anyone she didn't love to be totally frank about it. She loved him too much. Never, never would she have handed him off to strangers. I'd have an easier time believing she killed him and that is a real struggle for me. So here's the thing, maybe whoever wasn't able to pick him up from her on that Wednesday for any number of reasons. Or maybe she really did want to just enjoy those final days with him and take him to an awesome place like Kalahari to give him some good memories of her. Or maybe, just maybe...Friday afternoon or evening was just better for whoever to meet with her. So all of the phone records and computer records that indicated she had no contact with anyone unknown to the family make sense to me. Again, she did not give her son to a stranger. Just rule that out. Period. So the police interviewed tons of people and they were all cooperative. Imagine that. If I was hiding a child, I'd be pretty cooperative too. It would be a major red flag if you were anything less than cooperative - may as well just hand the child over right then. But what does "cooperative" even mean? They didn't search all these homes or polygraph a bunch of people without great cause or suspicion. That's not how things work.
So who loved Amy enough to do this for her - take on a child to raise, risking very serious legal trouble down the road? Who was loyal enough (or sympathetic and understanding enough - maybe both) to keep their promises in the wake of her suicide? That's who has Timmothy. That's the answer. I think it's clear the majority of people most likely to meet the aforementioned criteria were residing in Iowa at that time. I won't go further than that. I also can't imagine the full plan. Could a new, foolproof identity be crafted for Timmothy by people with know how and means? I truly don't know how any of that works or how hard it would be. But those would be the hurdles in the future, as Timmothy enters adulthood. I really don't see that many difficulties up to that point honestly. I think it's been greatly overestimated how challenging that would be. What I wonder more about is the predicament someone placed in that situation would find themselves in down the road. How would you come forward as an adult, even if you wanted to, if it could cause the people who love you and raised you to face a world of consequences? I guess maybe you wouldn't - at least not until those people were gone from this world. That would be such a difficult situation for anyone.
The alternative to any of this is that we are expected to believe that Amy killed Timmothy AND disposed of his body in broad daylight (not using the vehicle to transport him after death - they would surely know that) in such a way that his remains have not been recovered in over 9 years. We also have to accept that she may have done this during some sort of psychotic episode related to some condition she had not previously exhibited any signs of suffering from. That's a lot. I'm not sure I can buy into all of that in this case. I think there's so much we don't know - things law enforcement knows, things the family knows. It is strange to not have more information leaked out after 9 years. Maybe that's part of what makes this case so unusual.
I really, truly feel this is being made more complex and mysterious than it is. I've even gone down those paths in the beginning - Amish communities, cults, secret organizations. But no. Whoever has Timmothy is someone Amy trusted with what meant far, far more to her than her own life and someone who cared enough for her to make a very serious promise and take an enormous risk. Now just how many people could that possibly be?

I said it would be my final post but this is still weighing heavily on my heart. A lot of what I'm about to say is speculation, conjecture, just my feelings and opinions based on both gut instinct and a ton of very deep digging. I am going to offer these thoughts because I am certain many of you are far more knowledgeable than I am and maybe you can take it further somehow.
It is very clear that Amy's suicide was well planned. She helped her mother with major household chores and gifted furniture. She took that trip to the Bahamas in spite of it being a major source of discord in her marriage. There is no reason to think she didn't make a plan for Timmothy - a very solid plan. Why wouldn't she?
You know what I think wasn't planned? The timing or date of it. The car needed servicing, she left haphazardly on a Wednesday morning after going in to her office and then went to various locations, keeping moving and keeping Timmothy entertained. This is only speculation but I think she may have planned to wait until the end of the school year - whenever that may have been in Aurora, IL. I think it is possible that the arguments over the Bahamas trip, etc. may have escalated to the point she felt compelled to move up her timeline. (Total sidenote, this is probably also why she didn't finish the picture quilt for her mother which was clearly important to her.) There may have been pieces of her original plan kept intact - maybe the trip to the Dells, for one example, because she wanted that so much for Timmothy.
I realize Amy suffered from depression. Many people do. Depression contributes to many suicides yet depression is not really enough to convince me someone is capable of murder - particularly of their own beloved child. So I thought, ok, maybe there were other mental issues aside from depression. I've found nothing. Not one expression from any person from Amy's past who has anything except positively glowing things to say about her - how kind, loving, generous, thoughtful, friendly, on and on... No one who actually knew her has a bad word to say - at least not publicly. I mean not a single one...and she knew A LOT of people. Please let me know if I've missed something.
I don't think Amy would have given Timmothy to anyone she didn't know extremely well. I don't think she would have given him to anyone she didn't love to be totally frank about it. She loved him too much. Never, never would she have handed him off to strangers. I'd have an easier time believing she killed him and that is a real struggle for me. So here's the thing, maybe whoever wasn't able to pick him up from her on that Wednesday for any number of reasons. Or maybe she really did want to just enjoy those final days with him and take him to an awesome place like Kalahari to give him some good memories of her. Or maybe, just maybe...Friday afternoon or evening was just better for whoever to meet with her. So all of the phone records and computer records that indicated she had no contact with anyone unknown to the family make sense to me. Again, she did not give her son to a stranger. Just rule that out. Period. So the police interviewed tons of people and they were all cooperative. Imagine that. If I was hiding a child, I'd be pretty cooperative too. It would be a major red flag if you were anything less than cooperative - may as well just hand the child over right then. But what does "cooperative" even mean? They didn't search all these homes or polygraph a bunch of people without great cause or suspicion. That's not how things work.
So who loved Amy enough to do this for her - take on a child to raise, risking very serious legal trouble down the road? Who was loyal enough (or sympathetic and understanding enough - maybe both) to keep their promises in the wake of her suicide? That's who has Timmothy. That's the answer. I think it's clear the majority of people most likely to meet the aforementioned criteria were residing in Iowa at that time. I won't go further than that. I also can't imagine the full plan. Could a new, foolproof identity be crafted for Timmothy by people with know how and means? I truly don't know how any of that works or how hard it would be. But those would be the hurdles in the future, as Timmothy enters adulthood. I really don't see that many difficulties up to that point honestly. I think it's been greatly overestimated how challenging that would be. What I wonder more about is the predicament someone placed in that situation would find themselves in down the road. How would you come forward as an adult, even if you wanted to, if it could cause the people who love you and raised you to face a world of consequences? I guess maybe you wouldn't - at least not until those people were gone from this world. That would be such a difficult situation for anyone.
The alternative to any of this is that we are expected to believe that Amy killed Timmothy AND disposed of his body in broad daylight (not using the vehicle to transport him after death - they would surely know that) in such a way that his remains have not been recovered in over 9 years. We also have to accept that she may have done this during some sort of psychotic episode related to some condition she had not previously exhibited any signs of suffering from. That's a lot. I'm not sure I can buy into all of that in this case. I think there's so much we don't know - things law enforcement knows, things the family knows. It is strange to not have more information leaked out after 9 years. Maybe that's part of what makes this case so unusual.
I really, truly feel this is being made more complex and mysterious than it is. I've even gone down those paths in the beginning - Amish communities, cults, secret organizations. But no. Whoever has Timmothy is someone Amy trusted with what meant far, far more to her than her own life and someone who cared enough for her to make a very serious promise and take an enormous risk. Now just how many people could that possibly be?
wertman04,

I just want you to know that your comments are very much appreciated. I am also haunted by this case. It is so unsettling and unusual. I’ve never paid so much to a case as much as this one. This is a case that should be simpler than it seems. I wish we had more information on the extent of Amy’s possible mental illnesses.

I agree that Amy may have passed Timmothy on to someone she trusted. I don’t want to speculate, but i would also wonder about Amy’s ex-husband (or ex-husbands). With her relationship breaking down, i could see her turning to an ex-husband, best friend, or even a mentor that she respects and trusts.

Something else i wonder is if something went wrong with the hand-off of Timmothy that left Amy unsatisfied and depressed.

Also, are there any school records or photos of Timmothy? If Timmothy is enrolled in school, he might be in a class photo under a different name.

I still hope that Timmothy is still out there alive (under a different name). Something else i wonder is, as Timmothy grows older, the thought might cross his mind that his caretakers are not parents. I don’t know how long Timmothy could last with homeschooling and no smartphone. Has anyone tried searching images on social media for people that look like Timmothy?

Story is on OWN right now. The car shop gave her a ride to and from the zoo the day she left. That was a question asked above.

Her good friend said she was still in love with the 1st ex husband. She had started up a friendship with him again and popped up at his door twice. One time her husband found out and then threatened to have her committed and take Tim away from her.

The letter that said "you will never find him" was left in hotel room where she killed herself.

Last edited:
The evidence left on the truck is the most crucial part of this whole story.

"Sediments and plant material on the vehicle indicate that it was stopped for an unknown period of time on a wide gravel shoulder, gravel road, or short gravel turnout either adjacent to, or just off of, an asphalt secondary road that had at one time, been treated with glass road-marking beads. In close proximity to the gravel shoulder or road where the vehicle stopped, it backed into a grassy meadow or field to a spot that is nearly treeless. There are birch and oak trees in the general area but not directly over or at the spot where the SUV stopped. Both Queen Anne’s Lace and black mustard plants grow in a row along the border of the field or the shoulder of the road."
Forensics Lab Aids in Search for Pitzen Clues - Chronicle Media

This all should be relatively easy to document in Northern Illinois. Find the places that had recent "Glass road-marking beads" treatment.

The evidence left on the truck is the most crucial part of this whole story.

"Sediments and plant material on the vehicle indicate that it was stopped for an unknown period of time on a wide gravel shoulder, gravel road, or short gravel turnout either adjacent to, or just off of, an asphalt secondary road that had at one time, been treated with glass road-marking beads. In close proximity to the gravel shoulder or road where the vehicle stopped, it backed into a grassy meadow or field to a spot that is nearly treeless. There are birch and oak trees in the general area but not directly over or at the spot where the SUV stopped. Both Queen Anne’s Lace and black mustard plants grow in a row along the border of the field or the shoulder of the road."
Forensics Lab Aids in Search for Pitzen Clues - Chronicle Media

This all should be relatively easy to document in Northern Illinois. Find the places that had recent "Glass road-marking beads" treatment.
I agree. Tedious but possible, IMO.

Wertman.... excellent post!!! Very well thought out! I've been caught up in this case for a long time. Mom's phone was found about 10 miles from where my mom lives (and I grew up). My mom is a retired teacher in that area, and has many teacher friends. Over the years, I'd always ask mom to show her teacher friends pics of Timmothy to see if any teacher recognized him. I'll never stop thinking about this case.

Any of those people close to Amy would be discovered if they in fact did have Tim. People know this story and would see them with a kid and put 2 and 2 together. No way did she hand him off to any of them.

Someone in severe depression who thinks their child would be better off leaving this world (just as she herself would be) plus the 2 could be together in a better place....and the bonus of sticking it to her husband who she maybe had some extreme resentment for and maybe even blamed for what she ultimately did, is someone who may kill their beloved child. That is my thoughts and opinions on this.

Last edited:
@neverletgo – thank you for the Still a Mystery link.

This case most certainly haunts me. I'm a Madison, WI resident and commonly drive between Rockford and Madison and sometimes Wisconsin Dells. I have also stayed at the Kalahari. I love going to Rockford.

I would most certainly place my money on Timmothy dying at the hands of his mother. Why? Because she was a danger to herself. If she could hurt herself, it's not stretch to say she could hurt others. And in fact, that's what she did to the father by depriving him of Timmothy. A lot of time the simplest answer is the answer.

Apparently, those slices on her wrists weren't fatal. She had tried to kill herself before. Timmothy has never tried to reach out to his father, to law enforcement, to anyone.

"You'll never find him". Her intentions in no way strike me as in the way of Timmothy's best interest. He would have reach-out to someone by now. Based on this, I'd say he is dead.

I hope Timothy's body will be found someday. Lots of unanswered questions in this case. I would be interested in seeing her psychiatric records.

@neverletgo – thank you for the Still a Mystery link.

This case most certainly haunts me. I'm a Madison, WI resident and commonly drive between Rockford and Madison and sometimes Wisconsin Dells. I have also stayed at the Kalahari. I love going to Rockford.

I would most certainly place my money on Timmothy dying at the hands of his mother. Why? Because she was a danger to herself. If she could hurt herself, it's not stretch to say she could hurt others. And in fact, that's what she did to the father by depriving him of Timmothy. A lot of time the simplest answer is the answer.

Apparently, those slices on her wrists weren't fatal. She had tried to kill herself before. Timmothy has never tried to reach out to his father, to law enforcement, to anyone.

"You'll never find him". Her intentions in no way strike me as in the way of Timmothy's best interest. He would have reach-out to someone by now. Based on this, I'd say he is dead.

I hope Timothy's body will be found someday. Lots of unanswered questions in this case. I would be interested in seeing her psychiatric records.

The only way he is alive, IMO, is if he is somewhere completely off of the grid-Mennonite or Amish community, though I’m not sure how she would have met them or been in touch enough to arrange an “adoption”. If it were a trafficking situation/underground adoption, she wouldn’t have been able to say that he will never be found. Agree with you, the simplest answer is (sadly) the most likely answer here. I believe a significant amount of his blood was found in her car? And the family said it was from a nosebleed? We have a missing child, with a mom dead by suicide, with a significant amount of blood in her car. We have grass/brush on the underside of her car. Her cell phone disposed of. Suggestions that she was worried about losing custody of Timmothy in the event of a divorce...it’s pretty clear what her mindset likely was

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back