IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, the 47th anniversary of this crime is tomorrow.

I was too young to remember it. But I heard about it growing up for sure.

He had perhaps the most independent voting record of any senator of his time. He also was honest. Not that he shouldn't have been. But a lot of his peers, prior to, during and after he was in office went to prison for one reason or another.

My father was a die hard Roosevelt Democrat and he thought very highly of Senator Percy. That should pretty well explain why he would have been controversial within his own party.

This case has always fascinated me. I have no clue who committed the crine though.

I have not read from the beginning, so I confess that i don't know if it has been addressed,.

I do not know their actual home, but those houses are mansions.

How would anyone know where to begin to find someone in such an enormous home.

It always seemed that it had to be someone who knew the home.

There is a lot of info in the new book, including some misconceptions about the house and village where it took place. There are a numerous bonafide mansions in that area but Percy's home there wasn't one of them. I think it contained 16 rooms.

That book looks interesting - thanks for the link.

This case is the same age as me (47).

My connection is too slow to load the story. Can someone give me a rundown?

I tried to copy the text but the site won't let me.

In a nutshell, the writer speculates on circumstantial evidence pointing to "a previously unnamed suspect", William Thoresen, III; a North Shore resident and son of a steel industry executive.

• In 1965, WT's brother suffered a mysterious death which remains unsolved.
  • WT's wife is quoted as saying WT admitted to her that he killed his brother.
  • WT, himself, died in 1970 of gunshot wounds inflicted by his wife. A jury declared the shooting self-defense
  • A bayonet is believed to be the weapon that killed VP. ("A discarded one was found in Lake Michigan soon after.")
  • WT was arrested with 70+ tons of military weapons (including bayonets) six months after VP's murder.
  • VP's mother described the man she saw leaning over VP's bed as a dark-haired Caucasian, which fits WT.
  • His sources include WT's neighbors and classmates.
  • He wasn't allowed access to the full police file, and firmly believes LE is "sitting on information".
  • "...Glenn Wall hopes that Silent Vote is a catalyst for solving the horrible crime."
  • "'From what I've heard, readers who are into cold cases are buying the book', he said."

Good article. Wall just sold another copy. ;)

Was WT ever a visitor to the Percy home?

If he was, he might not fit the crime as well. 22 full time investigators, aided by the FBI, appear not to have found a substantial link between visitors to the house and the crime, or victim. It appears random and senseless. WT was as violent and insane as they come. Percy's doctor, who was a pretty smart guy, said he thought whoever did it was deranged. Kenilworth police described WT as a "nut."

It just seems hard to believe in a house that size that someone could walk around and find anything, especially at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14