IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it astonishing that Linda Bricca d. 9/25-26/66 was close friends with Lonnie Trumbull d. 6/23/66 and knew Valerie Percy d. 9/18/66.

Three young women murdered in different parts of the country in three months.

How and where (i.e. home, or elsewhere) were Bricca(s) and Trumbull killed? Did police seem to have a decent gauge on time of day of those crimes?

The Briccas were killed at home between 9pm Sunday night and 6:30 Monday morning, September 25/26, but leaning towards Sunday night because of the victims' digestion. Multiple stab wounds. Linda Bricca attended Barrington High school with Valerie Percy but was 16 to Valerie's 13 - they did know each other later on.

This is a good article on the Bricca case: http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/cincinnatihistory/Story.aspx?ID=1702452

Trumbull was murdered and her house mate seriously injured - apparently bludgeoned - at home on of the evening June 23 or early the next morning.

Well, the M.O. of the Percy killer was like 5 a.m. because he broke into another home the day before around 5:30 a.m. Another home invasion (Wacker, in winter, '65) he was thought to be present at was probably early morning, too, because the family was asleep at the time.

Valerie Percy neither lived in Barrington nor went to high school there. She lived in Kenilworth, and next door in Wilmette, both are 23 miles from Barrington, prior to that. Both villages are served by New Trier high school, from which she graduated.

The book I have on the Bricca case has that wrong, then, about their attending high school together.

Which doesn't really surprise me - there is a lot of good information in it, but the author points to a local man as the guilty party, saying that he commited suicide in 2004.. but there is no evidence of that which I can find.

I see, thanks. Only other place I can think of that the Percys lived before was in CA when the kids were very tiny and the war was still on. But that may have been earlier. They may have been born in IL.

I notice in the WTTW segment, the narrator asks "where was the weapon," and doesn't even mention the bayonet found nearby. It also says Hoheimer was in Malchow's gang. But I understand that that's not true. Those guys and him were just acquaintances.

Sharon & Valerie were born in Oakland, California, where Charles Percy was serving in the Navy.

I'm new to this board and I was wondering does anyone know just what Charles Percy did when he was in the Navy or on what ships he served on.

Welcome, Spearhead. I believe he was a gunnery instructor of some sort.

I just wondered what ships he served on , when and how long he was in Cal. I find very little dealing with his military life. He served during the war so when people write their Bibs, you always include this info. Great site.

I suspect little was said of it because he served stateside when most went overseas if not were shot at. Probably for this reason, IIRC, he actually was shot at in Viet Nam, but only while visiting as a Senator.

A great number of veterans never speak of their military experience but all politicians brag about their military experience. This may not sound important and it may not be, but you make a lot of friends and few enemies a long the way. Just trying to find connections.

I did speak with a family member about it. He didn't really talk about it. And, of course, there were many vets who fought who didn't. I don't know what, if anything, he said about it when running in '64. In '66 it was an interesting time. The public was still years away from turning against the war. But how things were going in Vietnam was a constant topic in his senatorial campaign. The most I recall is, after the war, when he was hired by Bell and Howell, he was put in charge of sales to the Navy. I know his driver from back then pretty well and will probably see him soon. I will try to ask. They were both in the Navy, though at different times.

I've written stories related to the case, and former neighbors of my family are long time friends of the former Senator and his wife. We lived next door to their friends when the murder occurred.

You have written stories related to this case! When I first read your comment about speaking with a family member I thought you were talking about a family member of the Percy family. Sorry about that misunderstanding. Maybe you could point me in a direction so that I could read the stories that you wrote. I'm new at this site and am trying to get as much CORRECT info as possible. I find it very interesting case, and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

No problem, and you understood the first time. I've spoken with two members of the victim's family, and communicated briefly with a third. Glad you're interested in this case. Did you join the site for a particular case or did you stumble onto this one?

Here's a link to one of the stories. BTW, the people on this site, in this thread and others, have incredible knowledge, insights and theories:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...r-20110614_1_nydia-hohf-first-homicide-murder

Yes I joined this site because of this case. I have been following it for years and once or twice a year I do a search to find if any new things have developed.

Hello! I am new on here, very interested in this case. I think it's fishy after all this time they won't release the files, I think they usually do that when there is something they don't tell the public about the crime so they can identify the criminal? Also, I have to say I think it's surprising the family was so quiet about finding the killer, if that was my relative and I had $$ you better believe I would be in the media looking for the killer. Suspicious IMO

Welcome to WS, sammyollie, well, welcome out of lurkdom. :welcome:

Welcome Spearhead. :welcome:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members