IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a lot of speculation about a local vet doctor who may or may not have had an affair with Linda Bricca. He is the man referenced in the article who gave one interview to police, then declined to talk to them again. Some think he may have done it. But there is no evidence showing he did it, no physical evidence linking him and no motive as to why he would kill this entire family.

When I talked to the cold case detectives on the Bricca case a year ago, they were not high on him as a suspect and they told me the case was unsolved. They were interested in possible connections to the Percy case and the Zodiac case, and they actually called me on the phone after I sent my material to them. What, if anything, they have done since I do not know.

What I am trying to do is get police, media and researchers to look at these cases with a fresh eye and see if they could be linked. To the extent that police have fingerprints, ballistics, shells, hair, fibers, mtDNA or partial DNA in these cases I am asking that they COMPARE them to see if any physical links can be made.

COLLEGE GIRL AND FAMILY MURDERS CLUSTERED IN 1966 - 1969: ALL OR SOME OR NONE OF THESE CASES MAY BE RELATED

Sharon Bubes, Evanston, IL - Attacked in her bedroom with a hammer, 6/30/66

Valerie Percy, Kenilworth, IL - Murdered in her bedroom by hammer and long 10 - 12 inch knife, 9/18/66

Bricca Family, Cincinnati, OH - Found bound with household objects and murdered in bedrooms by knife, 9/27/66

Sims Family, Tallahassee, FL - Bound with household objects and murdered, 10/22/66

Cheri Jo Bates, Riverside, CA - Murdered at campus library by short 3 inch knife, 10/30/66

Confession letter in Cheri Jo Bates murder, Riverside, CA - probably placed in mailbox on 11/28/66

Robison Family, Good Hart, MI - All family members shot by .22, mother beaten with a hammer, 6/25/68

Betty Jensen and David Faraday, Benecia, CA - Couple shot by .22, 12/20/68

Cecelia Shepard, Lake Berryessa, CA - Bound and murdered by long 10 - 12 inch knife, 9/27/69

Betsy Aardsma, State College, PA - Murdered in campus library by short 3 inch knife, 11/28/69

Joan Webster, Boston, MA - Harvard grad student abducted and killed, 11/28/81

REVISED TIMELINE CHART BY AWESHUCKS

zodiac45.jpg

The article mentions the body of Linda Bricca being partially atop Gerry Bricca, similar to Domingos/Edwards 1963, Boles Family 1965 and Robison Family 1968.

And also that Linda Bricca's nightgown was pulled aside exposing her breasts, again similar to Linda Edwards 1963, also similar to Valerie Percy killed one week prior on 9/18/66 and just 5 hours away from the Bricca scene and also Mrs. Robison 6/25/68.

What I am trying to do is get police, media and researchers to look at these cases with a fresh eye and see if they could be linked. To the extent that police have fingerprints, ballistics, shells, hair, fibers, mtDNA or partial DNA in these cases I am asking that they COMPARE them to see if any physical links can be made.

betsya10.jpg

linda_10.jpg

TOP: Betsy Aardsma and Known and Possible Zodiac Victims, Graphic Created by The Foreigner
BOTTOM: Linda Bricca

linda_10.jpg
betsy_10.jpg
joan_w10.jpg

Linda Bricca, found murdered on 9/27/66, Penn State grad student Betsy Aardsma, killed 11/28/69 and picture of Harvard grad student Joan Webster, killed 11/28/81.

from the article AKWILKS posted above:

frontpagedetectivejuly1.jpg

(left column, next-to-last paragraph)

Gerry Bricca had a sock stuffed in his mouth that was apparently taped over by the killer. The tape was ripped off at some point, but the coroner found traces of adhesive on his face.

Wasn't this similar to the M.O. of the Sims family killings? If I recall correctly, the victims had socks stuffed into their mouths also (and tape?).

>>And also that Linda Bricca's nightgown was pulled aside exposing her breasts, again similar to Linda Edwards 1963, also similar to Valerie Percy killed one week prior on 9/18/66 and just 5 hours away from the Bricca scene and also Mrs. Robison 6/25/68.<<

When Dr. Hohf found Valerie, she was covered to her midriff by a bed sheet. Her stepmother had attended to her prior to that, trying to wipe blood from her face. Under the sheet her nightgown was raised to her costal margin.

But since Mrs. Percy had attended to her, and she was checked on by at least one cop, Wolff, it's hard to say, without seeing a police report, just how she was found/left by the killer. If Mrs. Percy found her under the bed sheet the fact that her nightgown was raised was likely just a result of her struggle with her killer.

Just noticed this picture might be considered misleading. The only two bedrooms in the rear of the Percy home at the time of the murder were Valerie's (in the home's north east corner) and the master bedroom (in its south east corner.)

Not sure what the other two doors along the hall in this pic represent because I have read and seen nothing to indicate it (maybe a closet. There was a bathroom but it was accessible only from the master bedroom.)

There were four more other bedrooms on the second floor.

Attachments

• killersroute1.jpg
    killersroute1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 48
I wonder if the artist meant for them to be the doors to the other kids bedrooms and didn't have time to correct the drawing before a deadline?

Good question. They easily could have been closets. A door to the attic was on the second floor, I am told it was at the end of the hall. That was a fairly long hallway. Sharon's bedroom was across the hall from the master bedroom. I have reason to believe the door to that room may have opened into a hallway that ran off of the rear hallway, which may in part explain why Mrs. Percy is the only one who heard the break in. Their youngest brother's room was in the north west corner of the home. There were two other bedrooms down the hall from Sharon's room, on the south west side of the house. It would appear their stepsister had one of those rooms.

Just saw this in a local pub. Kenilworth Ave. is one block north of Percy's former address (Devonshire Lane.) This residence looks to be a bit more than a mile west of there:

BURGLARY

A resident on the 2200 block of Kenilworth Avenue called police April 21 to tell them someone was in his house. When police arrived at about 1:20 a.m., the resident said he&#8217;d been sleeping in his first-floor library, heard someone walking around in another room and yelled &#8220;hey,&#8221; thinking it was one of his children. When no one answered, he said &#8220;get over here.&#8221; A teen whom the resident didn&#8217;t know walked in and pointed a flashlight or phone light at his face. The resident shouted again, and the teen left. The homeowner said he couldn&#8217;t identify the teen well because he wasn&#8217;t wearing his glasses at the time, and couldn&#8217;t run after him because of a foot injury. He said the teen appeared to be blond and wearing a gray sweatshirt. Police said nothing appeared to have been taken from the house.

Like Mrs. Percy, this guy, 45 years later, initially thought the noise in his home was one of his children. And of course, he saw the intruder who pointed a light in the homeowner's face.

Here are a few links to other website discussions on the Valerie Percy Murder:

New suspects found in Valerie Percy's murder &#8212; The Murder ...

www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/valerie_pe...

In the predawn hush of a September Sunday in 1966, someone broke into a ... Everyone expected a rapid resolution to the homicide, given Valerie Percy's ...

--------------------
Newly disclosed account surfaces in 1966 Valerie Percy

articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06-14/news/ct-met-percy-murder-20110614_1_...

Jun 14, 2011 ... Nydia Hohf sleeps in the same bedroom where she awoke to a siren sounding from her neighbor's house almost 45 years ago. She walks on ...

-------------------------------------------
Percy Killing: The Forty Year File 9/15/06 | abc7chicago.com

abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=investigative&id=4563621

Sep 15, 2006 ... Since 1966, investigators have been trying to solve one of metro ... most mysterious and notorious crimes: the murder of Valerie Percy.

------------------------------------
Questions about Valerie Percy murder outlive her father ...

www.dailyherald.com/article/20110918/news/709189818/

Sep 18, 2011 ... Valerie, one of Percy's 21-year-old twin daughters, was killed on Sept. 18, 1966, as she slept in the Percy family's Kenilworth home. The murder ...

------------------------------------
The Murder of Valerie Percy; Kenilworth, 1966 - Laura ...

open.salon.com/blog/laura_wilkerson/2011/09/22/the_murder_of_valerie_percy_...

Sep 22, 2011 ... The Murder of Valerie Percy; Kenilworth, 1966. Rate: 1 Flag. Email. Click "Submit Abuse" if you feel this post is inappropriate. Explain why ...
------------------------------------------------
Valerie Percy (1944 - 1966) - Find A Grave Memorial

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=6820275 -

Oct 4, 2002 ... 18, 1966. Murder victim and daughter of former Illinois Congressmn Charles Harting Percy. Percy ... Search Amazon for Valerie Percy. Burial: ...

-------------------------
The Valerie Percy Murder

www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/ajax.html?t=10235728

Valerie Percy was murdered in September of 1966. This was years before Gacy''s crimes were uncovered. Remember: this was just after Richard Speck killed 8 ...

Did they look at a possible connection with a gang member named Jeff ford. Back in January 69 the Senator invited him to the inauguration of President Nixon.

Gangland ~ Stone to the Bone - YouTube

go to 23:23 at the above link and you will see whom I am referring to.

There's a story about the Bay Area Zodiac case in today's LA Times. I know some have written about that in relation to this case. I don't think there's a link but at one point in the story it says the San Francisco police formally closed the case 2004. Yet it says two years ago detectives obtained what they think is a partial DNA match off of an envelope that was handled by the killer.

If DNA could be taken from an envelope more than four decades later, I would hope they have some skin cells from the victim's fingernails in this case. I am told saving those was commonly done by big city medical examiners in the mid 60s.

42 DAYS OF HORRIBLE ATTACKS ON AMERICAN FAMILIES
SEPTEMBER 18, 1966: VALERIE PERCY SEPTEMBER 25/27, 1966: BRICCA FAMILY OCTOBER 22, 1966: SIMS FAMILY OCTOBER 30, 1966: CHERI BATES

ONE WEEK AFTER THE MURDER OF VALERIE PERCY AND FOUR HOURS AWAY, THE BRICCA FAMILY IN SUBURBAN CINCINNATI WAS KILLED. THERE IS EVIDENCE THAT LINDA BRICCA KNEW VALERIE PERCY.

Is it possible that some of these frustrating cold cases could be solved?

The brutal attacks on three American families - Percy, Bricca, Sims - between September 19, 1966 and October 22, 1966 - is terrifying and inexplicable. Dr, Sims was a nationally reknown expert in the just developing science of computers and an official in the Florida Dept of Education. Charles Percy was the CEO of a high tech camera and business machines company and running for US Senate. Gerry Bricca worked at Monsanto Chemical. On October 30, 1966, Cheri Jo Bates is murdered, like Valerie Percy a college coed.

Several years ago I contacted the police in the BRICCA Family murders, a horrible killing of a family in the Cincinnati area. The father worked for Monsanto Chemical, a company that was involed in genetic engineering of foods and of which Ted Kaczynski later said employees of this Monsanto company should be "hit hard" and "hit where it hurts". There is evidence Mrs. Bricca knew Valerie Percy, who was brutally murdered just one week earlier. The Bricca family was found dead September 27, 1966. Percy had been killed one week earlier in suburban Chicago, and Bates killed in California one month later. On June 25, 1968, the Robison Family was killed in Good Hart, Michigan.

I spoke to the Captain Zoellner of the HCSD, and he was very interested.

He called me on the phone after looking at my evidence, and I explained possible similarities and links between the Percy case, Zodiac and Bricca.

I explained to him that the 1963 Domingos/Edwards murders were a possible Zodiac crime, so that is probably what he is thinking of when he talks about the similarities of Zodiac stacking bodies and the Bricca case, with the female on top of the male, and perhaps in the context of information on a known serial killer and Zodiac suspect with Midwest ties (Ted Kaczynski) who was living in the Michigan and Illinois areas at the time of the murders.

I talked to him about TK and Zodiac, also about Ted Bundy (a friend of Linda Bricca from stewardess school had been killed in Washington state and Bundy has been mentioned as a suspect) and the EAR/ONS (similar home invasions and binding of victims).

Keep your fingers crossed they may have DNA.

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=1484

Article here:

http://www.local12.com/mostpopular/...he-Bricca-Murders/5UXBsymM20O45VpAK4CIig.cspx

"Captain Lloyd Zoellner says, "There was hair found in bedsheets in daughters bedroom, hair found in Linda's hand and on the bed it could be from the suspect".

AK - Interesting, similar to Cheri Bates - hairs found in her hand.

"Detectives are looking beyond Cincinnati for that suspect. It's taking them to a truly evil place. Detective Douglas Todd says "There is no sense of struggle in the house."

The murders seemed organized, down to the way Linda and Jerry's bodies were posed. "Linda was placed on top of Jerry, he had a sock in his mouth. Both were tied by wrists. That order in which she on top of him is similar to characteristics of the Zodiac."

The zodiac was the California killer who used a symbol in letters to newspapers. He claimed he committed 37 murders. Investigators had only tied him definitively to seven deaths. The Zodiac killer usually targeted couples, mostly in middle class suburban areas, and beautiful dark haired women. He used precut pieces of rope and made the woman bind the man. That could explain how one killer controlled both Briccas.

Did a serial killer make his way to Bridgetown ? The answer may be in the science detectives could not have imagined in 1966. "We may solve this case." "

AK - This is no doubt based on the information I gave to HCSD that Domigos/Edwards is a possible Zodiac crime. The similarities include a couple is targeted, use of pre-cut ropes, theory that female was ordered to tie male, body of female is posed atop body of male, female clothes are partially cut or lifted to expose breasts. Similarities to confirmed Zodiac cases include overkill multiple stab wounds, use of long knife may be bayonet length.

Body of Mrs. Robison was covered by a blanket. The bodies of Domigos and Edwards were also covered by a towel, as were some victims of the EAR/ONS. Like the bodies of Domingos and Edwards, the bodies of Mr. Robison and one of his sons were placed on top of each other, and the body of Linda Bricca was placed atop Gerry Bricca. Former FBI Agent John Douglas says posing occurs in less than 1% of murders. Like Valerie Percy, Mrs. Robison had her dress lifted up to expose her, and Linda Edwards had her bathing suit top cut away.

For those interested in finding out more about these possible connections they can read the posts of myself and others at http://unazod.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90&st=0&sk=t&sd=a or look right here at websleuths go to page 20 of this topic and read forward.

''Forget everything you know about the Bricca murders...it's all about to change.''

That interesting quote appears on the local 12 website above six days ago but is apparently now gone.

When I spoke to Capt Zoellner I suggested looking at any evidence from the midwest murders of Percy and Robison and possible Zodiac murders of Domingo/Edwards and Bates and compare it to any evidence from the Bricca case.

IMO something may have happened because the police interest has changed from moderate to high. And they are publicly mentioning the possible Zodiac angle, as if they seem fairly confident that there may be a connection there between the Bricca Murders and the Zodiac Killer.

In Percy and Robison the dresses/nightgowns were lifted, there was overkill stabbing or shooting and in Percy a long knife perhaps a bayonet was used, and a bayonet was found nearby in the lake. In Robison and in Bricca, the husband/wife/children are killed, and in Robison a person calling himself ZODIUS demands his words in the paper, and police say ZODIUS had inside knowledge of the case and may have been the killer.

ZANDER KITE first discovered the ZYNSKI/ZODIAC Caesar match up. It was then an uber-critic of the Kite-Wilks code work (Zsearcher) who noted that THeodore kacZYNSKI with 10-20-30 Caesar shifts to DR ZODIAC. Zander Kite, researcher from http://www.unazod.com , then built upon this noting that ZODIUS also 10/20/30 Caesar shifted from ZYNSKI, and myself AK Wilks noted that TH KACZYNSKI also 10/20/30 Caesar shifted to DR GUIDINI, the other name used by the ZODIUS newspaper tipster who may have been the Robison Family killer.

In all instances - ZODIAC, ZODIUS, DR GUIDINI - after the shifts the names appear in normal left to right, correct spelling, NO ANAGRAMS.

Speculative, but it looks to me like it is very possible that THEO KACZYNSKI wrote out his name in a Caesar grid matrix, saw DR GUIDINI, ZODIUS and also ZODIAC, and perhaps came up with those aliases in that way.

A January Detroit News article mentioning the August 1968 tip from an informant, who had inside knowledge of the Robison Family Murders of 6/25/68 case, and the informants message that he asked to be place in a classified ad.

The ad mentions ZODIUS, almost one year before the ZODIAC announced himself to the world. Both come from the Latin word ZODIACUS.

zodius10.jpg

O...........E..........G..........(D)............C..........R..........W.........O...........M....(+30)
E..........(U).........W..........T..............S..........H..........M.........E............(C)....(+20)
U...........K..........M...........J.............(I).........X...........C.........(U)........(S)...(+10)
K...........A..........C...........(Z).............Y........(N)..........S.........K............I.....(0)
A...........Q..........S............P.............(O).......(D)........(II).......(A).......... Y.. (-10)
Q...........G.........(I)...........F..............E..........T...........Y.........Q...........O...(-20)
(G).........W........Y...........V...............U..........J...........O.........G...........E...(-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm