IL IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was a burglary, why go upstairs (where you know you are going to encounter people) at all? If it was a burglary, why the overkill and then the nonkill (not even an attack) on another woman who was in the same room? None of these make any sense to me if it was a real burglary gone wrong.

I know Wannabe can you believe that!!!! I was dumbfounded when I read that. I think what Kenilworth is hiding is a botched investigation from the moment the stepped foot on that property. Plus it took them FIVE minutes to get there I read! FIVE MINUTES!!! I am sorry WTF!!! Just like we know from the Ramsey case too much can be compromised in a short period of time.

Standreid I never believed it was a burglary NEVER! The only thing on this person's sick mind was murder.

Wannabe I am too. I hope this is what was needed to finally after 50 years solve this case! The Percy family like any other family deserves answers and some kind of closure

Standreid I never believed it was a burglary NEVER!

Nor have I. I've speculated in the past that it was meant to be a rape, but it went horribly wrong when Valerie fought with her attacker. I think possibly the intruder was intending to commit a 'thrill crime'. Raping the daughter of a prominent person while he sleeps down the hall. Sort of an ultimate 'thumbing your nose at someone' sort of thing.

Still, that's just speculation.

Wow Betty P. That would explain why the step mother was wearing only a nighty, she had just cleaned up! Did Charles Percy wake and discover it?

"While I was covering the 1966 murder at the Percy's Kenilworth home -- the only photog admitted to the house -- Percy turned to me in tears at lunch. "All I know, Art," he said, "is that someone came in that door, walked up those stairs, went into Valerie's room - and Valerie unfortunately chose to fight him. Unspoken was the malicious rumor many years, pre-Facebook, that Percy's second wife Lorraine had murdered her own stepdaughter. I'm sure this added immeasurably to Chuck's pain. One publication self-righteously pointed out how much bigger Valerie was than her stepmother."

http://chicagoist.com/2011/09/21/from_the_vault_of_art_shay_remember_1.php#photo-1

Apparently this was a well known rumor?

I thought this was a good read. Thorough, and also explains why the house alarm doesn't add up.
http://www.defrostingcoldcases.com/the-1966-cold-case-of-valerie-percy/
Going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. The alarm was not an automatic one. It had to be manually switched on. It was simply a siren meant to scare the intruder and alert the neighbors. There was no connection to the police or a private security firm. There was no automatic trip system.

Quite frankly, I don't consider Loraine being still in her nightgown to signify anything but that she was still in shock from seeing her stepdaughter's murderer standing over her. Same with Charles being dressed. Everybody in the family would have been in shock of some sort at the time and reacted in their own way. Loraine fooling around with pool boys sounds like a load of a crap to me. The kind of idiot rumors started by small minded people jealous of the rich. Valerie was also rumored to have a black boyfriend, but there's never been any evidence of that either. Just more 'trash the victim' gossip.

In September 1966, I had just turned 20 and was still living with my parents and the old gentleman who lived next door was discussing the event the evening after it happened and said right away, "The (step)mother did it", so this was a theory day one. Although possible, I think it is much more likely that an intruder went there for the purpose of killing Valerie. The question is, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow