Found Deceased IL - Vanessa Ceja Ramirez, 22, murdered, Midlothian, 2 Nov 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still checking and waiting on Cook County LE for any updates. Because they are so quiet, I'm hoping it's a sign that they have a lot to work with.

I would not be surprised to find out that there are multiple perpetrators involved, perhaps even juveniles. Something about the burning nags at me, like possibly that was something the offender (s) returned to the scene of the crime to do. A lot of features of the crime seem risky - the broad daylight, the location her body was left, the burning, the phone. To me it almost seems like something not well thought out, committed by someone very inexperienced, or with more than one person involved and panicking. But really nothing is off the table.

IMO, your scenario is very probable.

I just found this news report from NBC News Chicago. It talks about Vanessa's murder, and features an interview with another young woman who was attacked in the same forest preserve in 2016. She was jogging when her attacker came from behind in a blitz attack, put her in a chokehold and dragged her off the trail. He was caught and received four years in prison but has been released.

Attempted Sexual Assault Victim Shares Her Story After Another Woman Killed in Same Forest Preserve
Wow, so is there any chance at all this guy is back at work? Whoever he is, was a juvenile when he committed the crime against the 2016 victim.

I hate thinking this way, but the longer this case goes on, the more I think it doesn't get solved. I hope I'm wrong, sincerely, but anyone else who lives in the area will remember the Lane Bryant Murders in Tinley Park (about 15 minutes away from Midlothian) -- and how everyone was so certain that crime will be solved. Over a decade later, it's still yet to be. I'm not saying the two cases are related, I'm just saying that I hope this case doesn't end the same.

This article has some interesting info -- you can use google translator to translate. It seems to confirm that the "some parts of the body" were burned in order to hide that she had been raped -- so the body wasn't burned entirely, just partially, so this is why it went undetected. It also states that she did not have a boyfriend. Another thing is that the cousin states that nobody knows "what happened on the way between the road she was and the place where the vehicle was parked." I've been trying to map VR's exact route from where she was last seen (Bremen Grove) to where the car was (Midlothian Meadows) with google maps on the previous pages of this thread -- if the cousin's quote is accurate, I have to believe the road she's referring to is 159th.

“Lo que le pasó a Vanessa no puede suceder más”: una joven desapareció tras salir a caminar en un bosque y luego fue hallada muerta

Also, there's been confusion as to where the car was actually parked. Some think it was parked in Bremen Grove, but the article above seems to imply otherwise. I know there's video of two volunteers implying that the car was parked at Bremen Grove, but either they're mistaken or the cousin in the article in my post above is mistaken -- because there is no "road" between where VR was last seen (Bremen Grove) and the Bremen Grove parking lot. I'm inclined to believe the cousin before the volunteers. I also don't believe that multiple news outlets got this wrong -- they pretty much all said the group was walking in Midlothian Meadows, so I have to assume that the walk at least started there (with all three).

Lastly, the article implies that VR and her family made this walk in the past -- this wasn't their first time, as the article says, "Vanessa Ceja Ramírez went for a walk with her mother and a friend along the Midlothian Meadows forest trail in Illiniois , as they used to during the afternoons."

Last edited:
I personally have given up on identifying the location, we've been back & forth quite a bit on the topic. I'm ok with waiting for LE to announce the location details. Investigations take time, I'm not ready to give up and call this cold yet. Hoping for an update soon!

I personally have given up on identifying the location, we've been back & forth quite a bit on the topic. I'm ok with waiting for LE to announce the location details. Investigations take time, I'm not ready to give up and call this cold yet. Hoping for an update soon!

Agree! It hasn't even been a month. No case is cold in a month. Let's give the investigators time to work. I have hope for justice for Vanessa.

Any updates?
I was just thinking the same. I am surprised this didn’t get more coverage, the circumstances between having been out with family/friends and just how horrific the crime was...it’s hard to see cases like this go so quiet...hoping that maybe they are waiting on lab results, etc...still the general silence is unfortunate if there isn’t a poi yet.

I was just thinking the same. I am surprised this didn’t get more coverage, the circumstances between having been out with family/friends and just how horrific the crime was...it’s hard to see cases like this go so quiet...hoping that maybe they are waiting on lab results, etc...still the general silence is unfortunate if there isn’t a poi yet.

I'm surprised it didn't stay in the media either, given, as @InspectGadget said, the circumstances. I feel like the Spanish language news channels did the best job keeping attention on the story.

If the person who did this to Vanessa was a stranger to her (which I feel is likely), and/or if the fact that she was burned and it took several days to find her impacted forensic evidence at the scene, or if there was more than one perpetrator and DNA is commingled, any or all of these things could be impacting how quickly the investigation is moving.

I definitely haven't given up hope yet.

Any updates?

No, it's been out of the local news for a while now. Unfortunately, this is common because there is so much crime in this area, that stories just get bumped -- but normally, when there is a development, the news stations will pick it back up. A story never stays constant though, it can't with all the other crime.

Checking in on cases I follow here. I scanned the internet and didn't find any case updates. Terribly sad. I had my dogs out for a hike this weekend and thought of this poor young woman and her brutal murder. IMO

There's been absolutely nothing said about this case in the local (or national) news since it broke in November. Very sad.

I will say this: I've seen this before with other cases in this area, where the local news won't say a word about it, but if there is something to report (an arrest, etc.), they normally do pick it up again immediately -- even if only briefly. My point is, if there is something to report, the local news will report it -- it might not get picked up nationally, but the local news will.

Everyone in the surrounding areas seems to know this case. I just discussed it with my barber last week, who lives in Tinley Park. It isn't just going away. Even if there is nothing noteworthy for the local news to report, they will still report on the anniversaries -- that is what they do with other case, like the Lane Bryant Murders. I hope we get answers before then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back