IL IL - Viola Brown Martin, 56, Chicago, 26 Dec 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't get a chance to post them, but I have seen a few online articles since the daughter apparently just sang on Idol, or the show was taped?. ( I don't watch the show). People was one, and I forget the other, but it was national. Perhaps MSNBC, but I don't recall.

In one of the articles, (and I should go find it) the daughter said her mothers car was found in a forest preserve. Nothing really about the investigation, whether LE believes foul play is involved or not..... and much of the media that I am seeing is focusing on how her father was murdered about the last time she was on idol and now her mom is missing. I would think the idol attention would grab a whole lot more media and information about Viola's case than what is being put out there.....

The idol angle is rubbing me the wrong way. IMO, there should be a whole lot more focus on Viola rather than the daughter.

JMO

I just read about missing Viola Brown Martin and then googled her and websleuths was right near the top so thanks for that, I think Idol did bring exposure to this case and I hope and pray that Viola Martin is found safe and unharmed.

There is an article at people.com regarding this case.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/01/27/photo-idol-contestants-missing-mom/
For those who may be able to help in the search for Idol contestant Angela Martin’s mother, who disappeared in a south Chicago suburb on Dec. 26, Angela’s family has provided a photo of Viola Brown Martin.
Read all about Viola’s disappearance.
“My mother is a loving mom despite everything that she’s been through,” Angela tells PEOPLE. “She was there at my audition in Chicago. She was the one holding my daughter. It was a highlight for her because this was my third time and she was really happy to be a part of it.”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/01/27/photo-idol-contestants-missing-mom/

Thank you patience, that people article is the article I saw.

I'm baffled why there has been no media regarding the state the car was found. Was there evidence of foul play?

I'm all for the daughter continuing with her dreams, I don't think her mother would want her to put her life on hold......... but I want to see more info/focus on finding Viola!!!!!

A little more media about Viola in the entertainment section of the Chicago Trib. I don't know that I find anything 'entertaining' about missing persons, but the article has a little more information about Idol contest Angela Martins mother, murdered father, and daughter who has rhetts syndrome.

A little from the detective covering the case...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...an-idol-missing-0202-20100201,0,243574.column

I'm all for utilizing the media attention from the Idol performance for getting moms case more attention, but there is far too much focus on Angela. When was the last time we saw a missing persons case in the entertainment section?

I hope this isn't another 'balloon boy' kind of thing to get votes for Angela and I am hoping it is crappy journalism utlizing at least 50% or better of the articles regarding missing mom on Angela.

Angela was just on Ellen and she said that her mother was seen at a store on 55th (I think that is the street) and when her family got down there, the cashier said that they had just missed Viola. Not sure if Ellen links her shows on her site, but I will check and see and post the addy so yall can see Angela's interview with her.

She was seen at a convenience store? And someone called family and not LE? Did Ellens show at least give a DATE when Viola was seen? Any survellience video? The name of the store?

This is so... 'hollywood' and out of the ordinary for me. Call it that instead of hinky, I don't know how else to describe it. If nothing else, why havn't any of these 'hollywood" style media outlets interviewed Jennifer Hudson? She does have some experience with a missing family member. Though with a sad outcome.

Honestly, I don't know what to think of this... with as many 'legit' places that help the families of the missing, especially being a victim with an already murdered father, the whole rags to riches, why is this still case STILL not receiving ANY ATTENTION from legitimate missing persons organizations and still so hollywood tabloid?

If my mother, or any member of my family were missing and I had 30 seconds of TV time, it would no doubt include at least ONE of the many missing persons organizations. If nothing else, contact the great Aunt of missing sisters Tionda and Diamond Bradley. They are right in the heart of missing black people from Chicago's south side. Why not even contact them for direction?

Did Viola have a history of going missing before without contacting family?

Something is very much about Idol and making this daughter a star, and not on Viola missing.

I hope something came out of the Ellen show for the missing mother. Thanks for the update.

JMHO

Well the daughter was booted off Idol last night. Just an FYI.

I don't have working speakers. someone will have to transcribe the info regarding Viola.

tia

eta; without speakers and from what I am going to read, all I am gonna 'hear in my head' is Chris rocks voice from Everyone Hates Chris - describing this families ordeal. :angel:

I'll try to do that for you, Cubby... give me about 15 minutes (cooking for daughter)

I'll try to do that for you, Cubby... give me about 15 minutes (cooking for daughter)

Take your time, I understand. :blowkiss:

I am glad you updated, because I did think about this case today.... just been working on a few others before I got here and you beat me to it. Though, I would not have thought about the Ellen show. ;)

Ellen: ...your mother is missing
Angela: yes
E: she is... no one... she is still... you think she is still alive, you have heard she is still alive.
A: yes, um, America's Most Wanted called the detectives that are on the case and the detectives called my older sister and said they found her on 55th and Halstead on the south side of Chicago. So we ran out looking for her and a guy at a liquor store said "you just missed her 3 hours ago". So I'm like 'my mom's alive'... it... just a weight was lifted off me then. Then we started looking for her again, and you know (chuckle) we just keep looking.
E: well hopefully she is going to turn up and I gotta say that you have had your share of badluck and some sad things happening in your life, but your attitude is so amazing because you keep getting back up and and you respresent something to a lot of people out there...

Ellen goes on to praise her strength, etc... nothing more was said about Viola. After Angela sung, Ellen surprised her with an announcement that Kara (from Idol) is writing Angela a song and will produce it for Angela and Kara & Ellen are going to try to get her a recording contract.

My ponderance: why is Viola only mentioned in passing, but no time was taken to say "hey she is still missing, please look for her, here are her stats..."

(I may not have gotten word-for-word transcribed... kind of hard when they are talking over each other and pausing LoL)

Take your time, I understand. :blowkiss:

I am glad you updated, because I did think about this case today.... just been working on a few others before I got here and you beat me to it. Though, I would not have thought about the Ellen show. ;)

Thanks for understanding... my DD is 19, but still a kid that just can't seem to get her rice-a-roni cooked right, so she gets me to do it for her. :)

When I heard Angela was going to be on Ellen, curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see if she would say anything about her mother. She did... but I would have loved to have seen Angela and Ellen ask the public to keep looking for Viola.

Thanks for understanding... my DD is 19, but still a kid that just can't seem to get her rice-a-roni cooked right, so she gets me to do it for her. :)

When I heard Angela was going to be on Ellen, curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see if she would say anything about her mother. She did... but I would have loved to have seen Angela and Ellen ask the public to keep looking for Viola.

ME too! Mine is 7 and in 1st grade. I would hope they get easier by 19 in some ways. :) I"m just glad he is not a picky eater, but it is weird to watch him eat an onion like an apple...

Thank you so much for translating. I'm local... 55th and Halsted huh? Will have to look that up. I am in the burbs.

Come Monday, I am gonna put in a call to the detective handling Viola's case.. or??? see what is going on. It might be an excuse for me to contact an old family friend with 2 generations with the chicago PD since way back in the late 50's early 60's. I haven't talked to them in ages, would love the oppty to call.

ETA: suburban local...

I somehow missed this article before. I didn't see it posted so linking now.

Police in suburban Chicago, IL think that an American Idol contestant’s missing mother may be AWOL on her own, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned.

After Idol contestant Angela Martin's mother, Viola Brown Martin, was reported missing on December 29, the family was frantic. Now, police are not so sure if Viola’s vanishing act wasn't by choice.

<snip>

&#8220;We are not 100 percent sure that she is not off on her own accord,&#8221; Glenwood Police Sgt. Derek Peddycord told RadarOnline.com. &#8220;There are some sensitive issues that I am not allowed to discuss. Out of respect for the family, they&#8217;ve asked me not to have too much contact with the media.&#8221;

more at link:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...idol-contestants-mom-may-have-vanished-choice

Your mother is missing and you ask the detective investigating her case to not have too much contact with the media? Is that because the family wanted to be in control of what is said to the media? Yet, there was tons of media regarding American Idol, the Ellen Show and even a little bit of info on Viola at America's Most Wanted.

Then an alleged tip comes in that she was seen at 55th and Halsted, and the family went looking for her. Did LE ever verify if that tip was a credible sighting? I'm sure the store has survellience camera's. Where they working that day?

This has got to be the strangest missing persons case I have ever seen.
I've never heard of family of a missing person to ask LE NOT To talk to the media too much.

Something is very hinky here imo.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/33139/1/

Case Report - NamUs MP # 33139
Case Information
Status Missing
First name Viola
Middle name Brown
Last name Martin
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen December 25, 2009 00:00
Date entered 03/29/2016
Age last seen 56 to 57 years old
Age now 63 years old
Race Black/African American
Ethnicity
Sex Female
Height (inches) 60.0 to 62.0
Weight (pounds) 160.0 to 165.0
Circumstances
City Glenwood
State Illinois
Zip code
County Cook

Circumstances

Viola was last seen leaving the Glenwood, Illinois residence of her adult daughter, Angela Martin, on the morning of December 26, 2009. She said she was going to visit her other daughter, Latrina, who had just been released from the hospital, and lived onlay about fifteen or twenty minutes away. She never arrived. Viola's family reported her missing on December 29, 2009, after their own search efforts were without success. On December 30, 2009, the police found her tan 1999 Chrysler Cirrus abandoned, parked illegally on a street in Dixmoor, Illinois, far from Latrina's home. There was no sign of Viola at the scene. She worked at a local medical facility in 2009. She never picked up her last paycheck. Since her disappearance there have been several reported sightings of her in the Chicago area, but none of them have been confirmed.

Physical

Hair color Brown
Head hair
Body hair
Facial hair
Left eye color Brown
Right eye color Brown
Eye description
No known distinctive body features
Distinctive features as described below
Amputations
Deformities
Scars and marks
Tattoos
Piercings
She has pierced ears and one upper ear cartilage piercing.
Artificial body parts
and aids
Finger and toe nails
Other distinctive
physical characteristics
Medical
Foreign objects
Skeletal information
Clothing and Accessories
Clothing and accessories are unknown
Clothing and accessories are described below
Clothing
Footwear
Jewelry
Eyewear
Accessories
Transportation Methods
Vehicle make
Vehicle model
Year
Style
Vehicle color
Tag type
Tag number
Tag state
Expiration year
Vehicle comments
On December 30, 2009, the police found her tan 1999 Chrysler Cirrus abandoned, parked illegally on a street in Dixmoor, Illinois, far from Latrina's home.
Airline
Bus

Dental
Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
Title Detective
First name Tom
Last name Morashe
Phone 708 753-2420
Website
Case number M09E2959
Date reported
Jurisdiction Local
Agency Glenwood Police Department
Address 1 13 S Rebecca St.
Address 2
City Glenwood
State Illinois
Zip code 60425

Interesting that Namus states that she had not picked up her pay. So did she not have the $600 on her that was previously reported?

Bumping up for Voila and her family. One of her relatives posted to social media today. She asked for the case to be shared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Papaya-salad
Back